shape
carat
color
clarity

whats better? I bought this for you, or I had this made for you

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
In the jewelry world there seems to be very little custom made goods, or at least the knowlage that you can get custom made goods at prices equal too or less than mall stores seems to shock people...even online prices.

I wonder how people feel about this one,

Whats better to say about jewelry,

"I bought this for you."

or, is it better to say to her, or just to know.

"I had this made for you/us"

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of having the ring custom made.

Having something that's one-of-a-kind makes it that much more special & seems to follow the theme (for a one-of-a-kind love/girl/relationship).
Going that extra mile to give her something that no one else has is very romantic in my book.

What's not special is to walk into Tiffany's & slap down the credit card for a cookie-cutter ring. Just my opin. I know many would and do disagree...

Def my vote is for "had it made for you".

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if one is necessarily better than the other. If the piece is pretty and you really like it, that's all that matters.

I have some pieces that are not custom that I really like. I also have some custom pieces. My e-ring and wedding band are custom. My husband's wedding ring is also custom. I know a jeweler that I am very lucky to work with and who is very talented. I'm working on some new pieces with her and I know I will turn to her for many years to come.

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
I really enjoy the idea of custom made rings/jewelry, however if I came alone something that I absolutely loved, than thats that, regardless of whether or not it was custom made. Still, if something that I absolutely loved was say a Tacori piece, which is overpriced in my opinion, I may decide to make something custom yet similar.

On the majority, I prefer the custom made - seems very romantic knowing that your significant other put that much time, thought, and effort into something for me. It's also nice to have something that no one else has. I have a ring that my bf bought me from a generic department store, and though I really like it, I see it everywhere! Even my best friend bought herself one (she didn't realize I had it)! If people saw us together they'd probably think it was a best friend ring or something haha. OK, sorry for the tangent.
1.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
How about a third option: "I selected this for you".
A romantic gesture should probably not include any references to a purchase.

Having something custom-made implies more care and forethought which is pretty romantic.

I am pretty much against getting a surprise engagement ring.
HOWEVER, I would NOT turn it down!!

I really enjoy the shopping together part. It's all part of the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results