carat
color
clarity

What your restaurant server does to get a bigger tip

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160708-the-mind-tricks-to-get-better-tips

Now that I know these things I'll ignore them.
Maybe I'll even tip less when they try this crap.

Tips will depend ONLY with quality of actual service ... unless of course the waiter is a cute hunky guy who sits on my lap, gazes deeply in my eyes and ask what I really want, and tells me when he gets off. :naughty:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew about using their name and the smiley face...

Did not know about the other tactics.

I hate red, but wonder if it would still work on me to leave a little more than I might otherwise have.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, that's really interesting. One of the items made me laugh. Touching a person lightly = better tip. My DH tips less if anyone touches him. He gets so annoyed! :doh: Thank you for sharing, :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1468014905|4053341 said:
Kenny, that's really interesting. One of the items made me laugh. Touching a person lightly = better tip. My DH tips less if anyone touches him. He gets so annoyed! :doh: Thank you for sharing, :wavey:

Haha me too Rockinruby. Please don't touch me unless we are friends. :wink2:

I don't think I fall for these tactics. Some I knew some I did not but I tip for good service. And that's it. If I get average to good service I give 25% and if I get amazing service I will tip 30% and if I don't get decent service I give less. How much less depends on how bad the service was. Only one time I didn't tip at all. I like to tip because it's a hard job and I am glad to tip generously for good service.

Thanks for sharing the article Kenny.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting article. Touching me wouldn't help someone get a better tip. I've only left a bad tip once and it was 2 quarters. I generally tip 15% for adequate service, 20% for good service and 30% for great service.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most Australians don't tip, you can, but our minimum wages are a lot higher here, wait staff earn more so tips are welcome but mostly not mandatory.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
When I was a bartender, when I wanted bigger tips I would go above and beyond to be extra helpful and accommodating. If I knew it was that easy man I could have saved myself some time and effort :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Interesting. I don't think there is anything wrong with doing these things (except the touching) IN ADDITION to actually providing me with great service.

Here's my thing:
Keep my iced tea re-filled.
Don't make me ask for anything (like ketchup, or silverware, or mayo) twice and definitely not three times. If I have to ask twice, you'd better apologize and get it for me right away.
Get my order right.
Smile and be friendly, but still professional. We just met. Don't touch me or call me "sweetie". If the first time you are friendly or smile at me is when you deliver the bill, you are getting a smaller tip.
Know your menu and be knowledgeable about what the kitchen can and can't do.
Listen when I ask you a question and answer that question. An "I don't know that off the top of my head, but let me check." is a good answer if you follow up. I don't expect you to be all knowing and I don't want you to make stuff up.

The above is what I require for a 20% tip. Above and beyond will always get over 20% from me. If I don't like something or there is an issue, if you deal with it quickly and apologize and fix it ASAP you will get a larger tip from me. Give me grief or dither, your tip is going way down.

Of course, if you are in a Persian Restaurant (and I'm Persian) you aren't getting any of that. Just be happy if they take your order and get it correct and check to make sure you haven't been poisoned at least once before they come back with the check and a big false smile.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I almost always tip 20% in restaurants and then I usually put a couple of extra dollars in if I have some singles in my wallet - on a dinner costing approx $30 - $35. (I am not a fine diner.)Things have to be pretty bad for me to leave less. Only twice in the last decade have I left nothing. I've never left 10 %.

I'm always a little confused if the tip should be more than 20% at the salon or for a massage in a nice spa, assuming the customer is happy.

I don't think I've ever left a full 30% tip. I think that really seems a lot. I can honestly say it would never occur to me. I'm interested to know that others do so. Perhaps I should consider it.

The study is very interesting about the touching. For me, being touched lightly on the arm would never make a difference to my tip. I'm amazed how strong that effect was in the study. If anything, I find it mildly annoying.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Meh, we were both servers and what matters to me is timely service, accuracy, not bugging me, and being on top of it. We start at 20% and adjust as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None of those things would matter a whit to me except one-I would be unhappy to have a server touch me. I wouldn't tip less, but I would be less likely to come back.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results