shape
carat
color
clarity

What wrap/bolero/shawl to wear with my wedding dress?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
So I''m getting married in October (hooray!) in Nantucket (yippee!) on the beach (woohoo!) and I''m not quite sure what to get to wear over my dress in case of chilly weather. Our wedding is in the afternoon on the Friday before Columbus Day, so the weather should still be pretty mild during the day. It''ll probably get breezier by the evening, so I wanted to get something to wear to dinner and walking around being happily married.

My dress is crinkly French taffeta, white, and it has a bit of shine to it. It''s got some asymmetrical embroidery and sparkly beading. I don''t really want to go the matchy-matchy or formal route for the wrap because it''s a beach wedding and I''m just not that put-together, usually.

I was thinking of a cashmere wrap in either white or light blue (would that be a terrible idea?) because I could use it again. I''ve been searching the internet but haven''t had much luck at all finding anything. I guess it''s not quite cashmere season yet.

Anybody have any thoughts about the cashmere wrap idea? Feel free to point me in a different direction if you have a better idea. I''d love to get a bolero or shrug if it would look good. I''m not particularly "good" at fashion, so I''d love your advice.

Here''s my dress again for reference. The color of the center photo is the closest to the true color. I don''t know why the others turned out so yellow.
14.gif

darkeyesdressotravez.jpg

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Try searching for "cashmere pashmina", that''s what I would go with. I wouldn''t do a bolero or anything too structured with that dress (btw--gorgeous!). And, you could go more with a "scarf" size instead of a full wrap. You could drape the scarf around your shoulders and arms or wrap it all the way around you. Either way, you would still see the dress. And, if you did a pashmina scarf, it would be a great winter accessory.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input and the compliment, somethingshiny! I''m glad to know that my idea isn''t a major fashion faux pas. I tried on a few pashminas at Bloomies today, but they only had them in ivory. What do you think about the light blue idea? Too silly? Should I hold out for a true white that might match?

P.S. I found these Stewart Weitzman Divinyl flipflops at Bloomies and got them because they were majorly discounted. My dress isn''t quite as sparkly as they are, but I figured they would be fun on the beach...

darkeyesdivinyl.png

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
darkeyes, your dress is gorgeous!

I love the flip flops, too!

I noticed this trhad over in BWW but I have NO idea what to tell you about a wrap, bolero, or shawl...although what somethingshiny said makes sense. Have you tried doing a search hear to see if others have worn something similar, just to get ideas?

As far as the color I think it will look "off" if you try to match it. How about a gray/silver? Do your shoes have any silver touches to them?

ETA: I just did a search on here, and gypsy had posted this one a while back...

http://www.cache.com/cache/control/product/~category_id=0400/~product_id=09031A12430072

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, thank you claudinam! I found so much by searching for previous threads. I''m leaning toward something made of cashmere because I a) love any excuse to buy cashmere and b) think it will be pretty cold in Nantucket by evening. What do you think about either the mist or new aqua colors here? I found these based on one of Surfgirl''s posts. I like your idea of something silver because the flip flops have silver on them, but FI wonders whether the mist color would be too close to my dress.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either of those two colors are PERFECT because they're subdued...it's hard to judge the EXACT color on a monitor, but I don't think that the mist would look too close to your dress. Any way you could order both and compare? Not sure what the store's return policy is.

ETA: Just saw that they're final sale.
40.gif
Any way you could treat yourself to both?
9.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 1:08:25 PM
Author: claudinam
darkeyes, your dress is gorgeous!

I love the flip flops, too!

I noticed this trhad over in BWW but I have NO idea what to tell you about a wrap, bolero, or shawl...although what somethingshiny said makes sense. Have you tried doing a search hear to see if others have worn something similar, just to get ideas?

As far as the color I think it will look ''off'' if you try to match it. How about a gray/silver? Do your shoes have any silver touches to them?

ETA: I just did a search on here, and gypsy had posted this one a while back...

http://www.cache.com/cache/control/product/~category_id=0400/~product_id=09031A12430072
WTF? haha I just noticed that.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
The mist color now belongs to me! I will take a picture when I get it. I wonder if it will come in time for my first fitting on Wednesday? Wheee! I think your idea about a silvery color was great, and mist looks pretty silvery. It should go with more outfits post-wedding than any of the blue colors, I hope.

Yay! Weddings are an excuse to buy lots of things.
9.gif

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool! I think it''s going to look GREAT, and you will clearly be able to tell that it is a different shade/hue than your dress.

Yes, I think the mist is silvery - with the tinyest TOUCH of rose/lavender...

Post pictures of it with the dress when you get it.

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Heck yes! (To be read an as Napoleon Dynamite-esque voice as possible).

I am such a dork. A dork with a cashmere travel wrap!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/17/2008 2:38:54 PM
Author: darkeyesredshoes
Heck yes! (To be read an as Napoleon Dynamite-esque voice as possible).

I am such a dork. A dork with a cashmere travel wrap!
If you''re going to be a dork, you might as well be a dork with STYLE! ahaha

(I never saw that movie - heard it''s great - hmmmm...maybe that''s what I''ll do today...especially since there''s a tropical rainstorm watch in my area)

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
That''s the best I can hope to achieve, alas.

Give the movie a little time to get started, because it''s pretty bizarre. It helps to be in a silly mood to begin with! Watch out for that tropical storm...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too. I consider myself a dork (LOOOOOVE computers, reading, etc.) Plus, I''m a bit of a hermit. Dork, dork, dork. But I love clothes and I think I have a pretty good sense of style.

Yeah...it''s getting dark out there already.
40.gif

Thanks for the warning about the movie - worth watching, though, right?

darkeyesredshoes

Shiny_Rock
Hooray for dorks! My fashion sense ebbs and flows, but I try. I''m much better at reading and listening to music. Yay us!

Definitely worth watching. It was FI''s and my unofficial first date! As long as you don''t mind a little absurdity, it''s eminently watchable.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh how cute! I''ll enjoy it even more knowing it was you and your FI''s unofficial first date!

It''s on tonight at 8 P.M., so I''m recording it.
16.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just checked this thread and I''m so happy you got the mist! I hope you love it when it arrives!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results