shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do with an extra room?

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post breakup I landed an house that was too great to pass up. It's Victorian, old, lots of doors, quirky bathroom, hardwood floors, pretty much no appliances but it's really big and bright.

I have a big master bedroom and the second room will hopefully serve as an office. But there is a third room I can't decide on what to do with. Was thinking either closet/vanity room or putting my massage table in there and calling it a meditation space.

I don't know. Any ideas?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love having extra space!

I've converted one of the spare bedrooms into a walk-in closet. I adore it!

Music room and/ or library would be a good idea, somewhere where you can relax and listen to music whilst reading a book or one where you can play an instrument and generally just chill out!

I also like the idea of meditation room, but would you really use it that much?

I have a particular fondness for Victorians (and used to own one) and Georgians for that matter. Do you like flowers btw? I find filling up the house with flowers of your choice really brightens up the house and lifts your mood.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know what I'd do. But that's irrelevant isn't it? It's not my space. What are your interests? How do you spend your time?

I read. A lot. So I'd turn it into a reading room. Not a library. Libraries are stuffy. Someplace full of soft comfortable furniture and pillows you can sink into, and curl with a book and a cat in peace. If it's not on the same floor as the kitchen, I'd put an electric kettle in there and a small drink fridge (hidden in a cabinet). Keep teas and a couple mugs in there, and some cookies.

It would be a small indulgent retreat of a room. I'd have shelves full of books and small personal items. Plants if you can keep them alive with your cats (I can't with mine).

But that's what I'd do.

What do you like to do?

architectureartdesigns-245.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read all the time, but I know I read in bed or on the couch. I don't know who I'm kidding with the closet idea, unless I'm planning to invest in an actual wardrobe.

I do like natural health, chakra work, meditation, energy healing etc. I'm leaning towards a room with calming colors and sounds, my massage table, my Buddhist art. I might even like a little fountain...

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
We have a three bedroom. One is ours of course, one is DH's office, and we did put a bed in the third to make it a guestroom. We don't use it much AT ALL. In fact, it's only been used twice in the last year, but it's nice for when people visit from out of town.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elliot86|1474694321|4080198 said:
I read all the time, but I know I read in bed or on the couch. I don't know who I'm kidding with the closet idea, unless I'm planning to invest in an actual wardrobe.

I do like natural health, chakra work, meditation, energy healing etc. I'm leaning towards a room with calming colors and sounds, my massage table, my Buddhist art. I might even like a little fountain...

Sounds perfect for you.

Call it your "me" room. Fill it with whatever makes you feel happy relaxed and comfortable.

Are the cats with you, Elliot?

I don't know about a water fountain in a house of cats. Although they would appreciate it.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cats are with me. Oreo is a destroyer of all plants, and would probably use the fountain as her personal drinking bowl :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

I do like the idea of having a relax room. It seems frivolous but whatever. I spent long enough living in a bleak space.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shameless Oreo picture.

_6000.jpeg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww. So cute. I love gratuitous Oreo pictures.

Here's my Sauerkraut cat: Lily.

_6001.jpeg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwww LOVE seeing pics of Oreo and Lily. So beautiful. :love:

Hi Elliot, congrats on getting your dream Victorian home! I love that it is bright because so many Victorian homes are darker and I appreciate and love the Victorian architecture so when you find a bright Victorian home that is a win win IMO.

As for the extra room I agree it depends on your interests and needs. I would go with one of 3 choices and 2 have already been recommended here.

First option: Library/Reading room. We have this and we enjoy relaxing and reading in this room. My dh built bookcases in the room and I just love the warm feeling/vibe this room gives us. This is the only pic I can find of it. The TV doesn't even work and we never watch TV there so we really should remove it LOL. We read here and listen to music here too. Love this room. If you don't have a quiet comfortable space where you can enjoy reading and music this might be a good option for you.

libraryandgreg_0.jpg

Second option: Walk in Closet. If we had an extra extra room I would take this option for sure. I never have enough closet space and this would be awesome if you have the same issue. A walk in closet and you can get help in figuring out how to organize it. The container store is a good place to start for ideas.

http://www.containerstore.com/s/closet/1?redirectSearchTerm=closet

Third option: Workout room. I have this and it is critical for me and my peace of mind. I have a few pieces of favorite exercise equipment in this room and it really allows me to workout on my won schedule with my own music and temperature controlled vs working out at a gym. I have a Cybex arc trainer, a Precor treadmill and a Balanced Body Pilates machine and an exercise bicycle. Love having my own workout space in my home. LOL see even HRH Francesca and Fred and Bobby use some of my workout equipment. :lol:

_38349.jpg

_38350.jpg

_38351.jpg

_38352.jpg

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love these kitties! :love: :appl: :love:

Missy, your home is beautiful! A workout room would be a great idea. I could convert things into a yoga type area as well.mI wish I could attach a pic of the room itself but I didn't bring my iPad camera over last time I moved stuff in. I have a couple more weeks until everything else goes.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my spare rooms is my closet/makeup room haha. Its nice to have a dedicated space that I can just close off! H get the master walk in lol.

I love the idea of a meditation/yoga room though. We have all our workout stuff in the basement, but I bet having actual natural light would be nice!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like a meditation/workout room might be perfect for your needs. So cool to have an extra space you can choose to use however you wish. I'm sure it would be nice to have a small relaxation area for Oreo too! :dance:

I have two small extra rooms. One is a guest/reading room. The other is a yoga/gym room. My DH thinks I need to covert one of these rooms into a training area for my puppy. Her equipment, toys, jumps and trick props have totally taken over our living room. :doh:
I can't wait to see what you do with yours! Maybe it will inspire me to rearrange our spaces, lol.

Btw, I love all the kitty pics in this thread! :love: :love: :love:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really do the Pinterest thing, but I am going to begin research on meditation space decor. This is a rental so I can't go too crazy with paint and installations, but the owner is very cool so I'm going to see what he might let me do. The house itself was at one time painted with bright colors outside and then somewhere along the way it was painted over white. Isn't that tragic? ;(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Store tons of crap that I really should get rid of.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1474746643|4080337 said:
I don't really do the Pinterest thing, but I am going to begin research on meditation space decor. This is a rental so I can't go too crazy with paint and installations, but the owner is very cool so I'm going to see what he might let me do. The house itself was at one time painted with bright colors outside and then somewhere along the way it was painted over white. Isn't that tragic? ;(

Oh that is sad. This is one of my favorite neighborhoods at the beach where they have lovely Victorian homes and are true to the 3 color scheme that is routed in tradition. So beautiful IMO.

_38354.jpg

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Do you have a hobby? I would probably make it a guest room, which is what my fiancé and I do with two of our four bedrooms. One of the guest rooms also holds the rabbit's cage and the rabbit lives in there. But we move him out if people stay in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

PierreBear

We have a small space. There is a master, guest bedroom, and office/reading area upstairs. Downstairs there is the living room and the TV is there as well. If I had another extra room, I would love to convert it to a "TV" area where it is enclosed. I'm not a fan of having the open living room downstairs where all the guests come in to have to focus around the TV. Would prefer for the living room to just have seating and not be faced towards a TV.

I think your plans for the open room sounds great. Meditation room sounds like it would also be good to practice yoga or other calming hobbies! GL planning your new space!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results