• Return - not worth $280

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Keep- might be glass but sure is pretty

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
6801DA3E-5321-4624-A27B-8254D8E88EC0.jpeg FE24F52B-3C0D-466B-B4E2-1A527943A4C5.jpeg 2EE9C7ED-F98A-493C-BB77-D3EC5902C5B4.jpeg 61A5AA47-C1B0-4DB7-912B-E8D5259F11E5.jpeg Bit of a dilemma here.
I bought a matching ring and earrings set, said to be natural gems. For the price I paid I wasn’t expecting Aquamarines more likely topaz or perhaps synthetic Spinel.
Set is in 14kt gold.
The earrings are testing as aquamarines on the Presidium - score- but the ring - GLASS!
I am totally puzzled. This is a magnificent, intricate hand cast ring setting with a “gem” that fits perfectly. It’s vintage, the ring shank is showing signs of wear under the Loupe but not a mark or abrasion on the stone. Glass btw wears really quickly being so soft. There should be some signs of wear if it’s glass, but none.
Who makes a 14kt gold ring to fit a big piece of glass? Who goes to the trouble precision cutting a piece of glass to fit a setting (if stone is a replacement) ?
The ring is lovely, I love it, the piece of “glass” beautiful.
Would you keep the set or return them for a refund. I’d say I have about $280 in the ring - is that a fair price for a 14kt gold ring with a beautiful piece of glass?
Hmmmmmm

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were me I'd think about how much I would be willing to pay for the setting alone and decide based on that...assuming you like it enough to wear it despite it being glass. :)

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you wear it Bron? You have a lot of fabulous stuff, would you wear glass???

I would return it if I were you. You've got a billion beautiful real things to wear. Use the money for dinner or something it's better use!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The question is whether it’ll be mind clean enough for you to enjoy wearing it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
860602FC-9BDD-46F9-B82C-70E48095E811.jpeg It’s a humgunous Stone ie 50 carats and beautifully cut.
My mums thought “maybe it’s a special piece of glass, like a wine bottle from the Titanic or something”. I nearly fell off my chair laughing.
But yes, I’m happy to wear it, it’s a high quality ring and really pretty.
I bought it as a fun ring, I like to wear big gawdy stones sometimes but cant wear costume jewellery due to my nickel allergy. So I’m quite happy to pay a few hundred dollars for a solid 14kt gold ring set with a synthetic.
I mean how much would a 50 carat aqua cost! A lot !
I can’t imagine having a ring made like this these days would be less than $1,000. It’s no stock setting, it’s got beautiful double tapered prong work and intricate filigree work. Even gold melt value would have to be around $100.
Seeing as it does scratch glass maybe it’s a hydrothermal quartz ?
Interesting.
Here are the earrings, definitely aquas.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Is it tested as 14k? Can your source a giant topaz or amethyst to replace it if you like?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you like it enough to keep it! What a honking' rock, glass or no glass! It's not an everyday ring so why not keep it and have fun with it on occasion -- IF you will wear it. That's what I'd ask myself. I'd never be able to tell it was glass by looking at it (but I know not much about fine jewelry).

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
If you love the glass enough and are comfortable wearing it knowing full well that it is glass, go for it!

For myself, I've tried and sadly cannot wear a stone (glass...etc..) that is made to look like a gemstone. It just bothers me too much. I'll wear fun artsy glass pieces but only if it's obvious to an onlooker that its an art piece and they dont think its a gemstone.
Weird I know....

But I love the setting so I personally second the idea for finding yourself an equally large amethyst or rose quartz, just something fun and have it set in there (:

mtsapphirelovingannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think the ring and earrings are beautiful. I love the style of the ring.

I'd keep the ring and enjoy wearing it!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think: I don’t know what I would do. If I had your nickel allergy I would probably keep it. It’s in a lovely setting.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
To answer your question re: why glass, how vintage is it? Antique? It could be an old paste stone (back when well cut glass was actually valued), but like, never worn because it's HUGE.

Just a thought/theory.

Either way, that setting is gorgeous!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
If you are feeling picky picky and/or principled, maybe request a partial refund from the seller given that the ring is glass? Not sure of the conditions of this sale...

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Glass is beautiful.

Kevin Bryant

Rough_Rock
Trade
Presidium should never be used to be the deciding factor on what a gemstone is are is not, I would check R.I first also Aqua can also be grown in mass amounts through the hydrothermal method. I would send it to a GG if not GIA before starting a war with someone on a return.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
Yes I wouldn´t be too sure, what the presidium is telling you, as it is not precise. Probably it is not glass.
As which stone it was sold? Do you know someone (jeweller?) who has a Refractometer and can use it? He/she should check the stone. If its glass, as it sounds you like it, i would keep it as the gold setting is paid with your price. You can swap the stone if you like somedays. Amethyst, citrine ... there are some possibilities

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is lovely, I love it, the piece of “glass” beautiful.

That says it all...you love it so I wold keep it.
I think the ring is pretty and if you think you will wear it keep it...the setting alone is worth the money IMO...I think it is a fair price and love both the earrings and ring for you. Big plus it's nickel free.:appl:

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
If you feel cheated I would return because I'd always be reminded and pinched about it.

chappy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My mums thought “maybe it’s a special piece of glass, like a wine bottle from the Titanic or something”.
Your mum's a real hoot! :lol-2:

If it brings you joy, then why not. $280 isn't a huge amount in the world of jewelry, plus the earrings are nice! If you returned, you'd have to say goodbye to the earrings too, right? But, is it definitely 14k? I'd be more worried about testing the metal when the stone is suspect, especially as you have a nickel allergy.

re: your thread title, ME personally, I would return because that ring looks like it sits too high off the finger to be comfortable for daily wear. If it was only a question regarding the material of the stone, then I'd keep as long as I liked the look.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think if you think it's pretty and will wear it... keep it! I have a pendant made of faceted resin and gold that I looooove. Can't wear it for long because allergic but I still pull it out for hubby's special events because it's so pretty. So i am on team keep IF you like it!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
8AF2CF42-3CA6-4BCA-86A4-513FC208D000.jpeg Thanks everyone.
Yes, I tested the metal, and it is 14kt gold. After my last mistake of wearing a CZ ring that said “925” and wasn’t, I ended up with what was like 2nd degree burns (blisters) all around my finger were it sat. I test everything now.
The ring is surprisingly comfortable and doesn’t move on the finger.
And yes, I know a Presidum isn’t the be all and end all, though it has proved handy in the past for broad differentiation. If I want to know what it is I’ll have to get it properly tested..
So pretty.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
@Bron357
Sure the presidum is handy and fast to get a first idea what it could be. But "glass" (or what is called glass) is out there with many differnt ingredients so the result could vary here.
If its gold I would keep the ring, as it looks like you like it ;-)

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Considering the quality of workmanship and faceting it really does not look like glass. Use a loupe first girl and never presidium on CS! If you loupe it look at the girdle, facet junctions, etc., is it sharp, does it have many nicks etc.? Usually you can spot glass easily even with the naked eye. Do you see glass bubbles inside? Again get out the loupe. Next a refractometer. You are a gemology student so take it in or get it tested. I would def. return it if glass but that is up to you, just why would you need glass when you have a load of real gemstones like your rubies, etc.? But I believe we are not even permitted to talk about madmade stuff here. So go ahead and identify the stone first.

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh what a great setting and fun ring! You could drive yourself nuts worrying about what it is or you could just have fun wearing it. I say enjoy!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love it, does it matter if it does turn out to be glass?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I have a vintage Kenneth J Land cocktail ring very like this but in green. It’s HUGE and I love it and it’s glass. So I would definitely keep this one. It suits you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results