shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do pt2 :}

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, you are in your backyard in the South and you are digging a hole to put a pool there.

You come across a crest stamped U.S. government on it.

You open the crest to see what is inside and to your delight there is about $150,000 in U.S. gold coins stamped 1863.

You take the chest into your home.

You log into the computer and do some research about your area of any attacks or hijacking during that time.

About ten days later you found a story about how there was a battle which took place in your AO.

The story goes (in short), the Confederates over ran a Union HQ''s and captured their pay roll 1863. Later that day, the Confederates were about to be over ran themselves, so they buried the payroll where you had found it.... in your back yard.

Questions -
What would you do with the gold coins?
Why should you be able to keep the gold if you choose to keep it?
Should the U.S. Government have any rights to the Gold?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is this a test or did this happen? Wow, if so, I am sure curious to hear what the person who found it did...I would assume the govt can still lay claim, but maybe they would be willing to give a finder''s fee and put some of the coins on display in Washington?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 3:32:44 AM
Author: diamondfan
Is this a test or did this happen? Wow, if so, I am sure curious to hear what the person who found it did...I would assume the govt can still lay claim, but maybe they would be willing to give a finder''s fee and put some of the coins on display in Washington?

far as I know its never happened like the other money thread its just something to talk bout :}

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
You haven't worked for it and it hasn't been gifted to you.....so it ain't yours!
38.gif

What would you do storm
33.gif

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, in this case I would do what any real american would do -- I''d run straight to my attorney for advice. If I could legally keep it, I would.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL portoar...!!

i also would check into what the legalities are. you can''t just take US gold coins to a pawn shop and be like ''give me cash''...hehee.

in terms of why this should be able to be kept, well you bought the house and it''s on your private property. now if you found it buried under the city sidewalk, that''s another matter.

but the govmt would probably still try to get something or take it back or similar so that''s why you have the attorney!!

who knows if you end up with all 150k of it, but it''d be nice to at least get half or something. though in this scenario, you''d probably feel like the gold was yours since you found it in your yard.

i think also that people would tend to be more okay with finding it and keeping it than if they found cold hard cash as in bills in the yard, gold coins is mentally like ''treasure'' and who doesn''t always dream of finding buried treasure??? but buried cash is just sketchy!!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Finders keepers.
11.gif
31.gif
11.gif

FI is an attorneys - I''d talk to him about it.
If I owned the property - I think I''d feel entitled to something - but naturally it would depend on the law.

Scintillating...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 3:12:18 AM
Author:strmrdr
Ok, you are in your backyard in the South and you are digging a hole to put a pool there.

You come across a crest stamped U.S. government on it.

You open the crest to see what is inside and to your delight there is about $150,000 in U.S. gold coins stamped 1863.

You take the chest into your home.

You log into the computer and do some research about your area of any attacks or hijacking during that time.

About ten days later you found a story about how there was a battle which took place in your AO.

The story goes (in short), the Confederates over ran a Union HQ's and captured their pay roll 1863. Later that day, the Confederates were about to be over ran themselves, so they buried the payroll where you had found it.... in your back yard.

Questions -

What would you do with the gold coins?

Why should you be able to keep the gold if you choose to keep it?

Should the U.S. Government have any rights to the Gold?

I like this one much more than Part 1! The historian in me is intrigued. I would have to think about this before deciding what to do. (I haven't had time to do that yet.) I know I would want the discovery to be available to historians, but I am not sure in what way. Unlike in scenario 1 (where there is no way I would try to get a reward), I might try to get some financial benefit from this. I don't know. If I donated it, it wouldn't be to the government but to some non-profit organization with goals I found honorable. I might think that the foundation needed the money and I would want to contribute to it...or I might not think they need receive it without paying me a small sum. As I said, I need to think about this.

I don't think the gold belongs to the governement. All US currency is marked by the US government. That doesn't mean all currency belongs to the US government! If the government had a legitimate claim to the find, that would come out once its discovery was announced. One thing I wouldn't do is to pay taxes on it! If I decided to-and was able to-keep a fee for finding it, I would make sure that the fee was enough to cover taxes!!! Plus at least a dollar more!

34.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay the first one (bag of money on the beach) was easy, I''d return it because a) not mine so stealing, probably a felony for that much money and b) part of a crime scene, would be interfering with solving a crime if kept it
For this one I think I''d first call a lawyer
28.gif
, seems like statute of limitations or whatever may be expired, plus you own the property, might be finders keepers. I know in many situations for pirate treasure you get to keep it, maybe this would be something similar. I''d find out first before start blabbing about it.

There is the story in my family how the husband of my great aunt (the opera singer), owned the summer palace of Maximillian, a king or prince of Mexico, but the Mexican goverment seized the property, saying it was a national treasure and never reimbursed him for it. My mom jokes how it would be nice if we could argue we were the rightful owners of that property and claim it, but let''s just say don''t think that''s gonna happen.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
under the treasure hunting laws, isn''t it yours?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 5:42:10 PM
Author: ladykemma
under the treasure hunting laws, isn''t it yours?

Good question. Has anyone read Plum Island by Nelson DeMille? If you like this thread, you might like the book!

34.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d definitely consult a lawyer - I''d want to keep it or sell it and I''d need proof it was legally mine first. Kinda hard to unload those coins in an inconspicuous manner!!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all,
These are fun. I, however am amazed at the different answers to this question than the other. Her story tells you that its payroll from the U.S gov. Sorry gals , I think it belongs to the ole U.S.A. I would return this without consult of an attorney, because the buried treasure you all spek of does not usually belong to U.S. It(U.S) fights to keep it when it is found on U.S, soil and I believe that treasure hunters have had to concede some to the Gov. This is clealy payroll. I would return it. What different answers!
The other thread made me want to write that you would think everyone was so honest by the other thread. If someone nowadays has a fender bender they won''t admit it. Its hard believe PS are all so honest except when it come to the govv. Storm your next topic TAXES
Annette

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2006 10:30:46 PM
Author: smitcompton
To all,
These are fun. I, however am amazed at the different answers to this question than the other. Her story tells you that its payroll from the U.S gov. Sorry gals , I think it belongs to the ole U.S.A. I would return this without consult of an attorney, because the buried treasure you all spek of does not usually belong to U.S. It(U.S) fights to keep it when it is found on U.S, soil and I believe that treasure hunters have had to concede some to the Gov. This is clealy payroll. I would return it. What different answers!
The other thread made me want to write that you would think everyone was so honest by the other thread. If someone nowadays has a fender bender they won't admit it. Its hard believe PS are all so honest except when it come to the govv. Storm your next topic TAXES
Annette
wow that is kind of harsh, this is an entirely different thing...it's found buried in your yard on land you own, rather than on a beach...and no one here said they would lie or not return it, they said they would consult and attorney to determine what is legally correct... if a lawyer told me nope it's not yours, i'd turn it in. period. i also don't think many would have a problem paying some of the 'treasure' to the govmt as a finder fee either. people are just speculating on what they would do.

anyway, i do think that many people ARE honest. just because someone would not immediately walk it over to the government, and would instead try to find out WHAT exactly is legal, does not mean people are not honest.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I recall I think Last year something like this did actually happen!

Three men lived in a house. One of the three men owned the house. They were landscaping the backyard with new bushes and trees.

One of the men was shoveling and while digging a hole for a tree, he hit something hard ... yet it didn''t sound like a rock or cement. He called the other guy who was taking a break to come over, the two of them saw it was wood, they called the other guy to come help ... they at first thought it was a casket ... and backed off at first, and then one of them got curious, and continued ... and voila!

Buried treasure!!! Old confederate dollars! They consulted an attorney, did reasearch on the internet, found someone who specialized in investment $$$ and sold it. I can''t remember if they had to pay taxes or not ... but they did get to keep the money since it was on the guy''s property. I remember seeing a picture of all 3 men in our newspaper!

I am sure if someone googled it ... you would find the story!

Instant Retirement fund!
emsmilep.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the law is different for Private Property vs Government land vs public land.

I don''t know what I would do ... but I do know that I would be affraid that I''d have unwanted people poking around my yard ... It wouldn''t surprise me if I came home one day after work and my whole yard had been torn up with a backhoe!
32.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/19/2006 10:30:46 PM
Author: smitcompton
Her story tells you that its payroll from the U.S gov.

Annette,

Whose story tells us this? I don't know why this is clearly payroll. Was the marking on the chest a clue? If so, I missed it! Please elaborate.

ETA: Yikes! Storm said it was payroll! I was so involved in the history aspect (wanting to know more about the era) that I just didn't take that in!!! And that is part of the history!

34.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I would love to know the legal answer to this question. There have been stories of valuable painting found in attics - most likely belonging to a previous owner. It is rightfully the property of the current homeowner.

Morally, I''m not sure - but I would certainly find out my rights as claim first.

On the flip side, wasn''t there a story fairly recently about some guys finding buried treasure in the form of jewelry? Turns out the stuff was stolen b these people, buried - then claimed as "rightfully" theirs. They got busted.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
1: keep em and shut up about it
2: finders keepers, my property my gold
3: legally it belongs to the US army but morally they don''t have much claim.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i hate to say it but I''m with storm. i would try to keep it/sell it.
i would find out what the legalities were first.

in england English Heritage laws are very clear. you find a hoard, it''s the gummint''s.

I don''t know about United States.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t possession 9/10ths of the law
33.gif
Well, that''s my story and I''m stickin'' to it!
16.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 6:19:57 PM
i hate to say it but I'm with storm. i would try to keep it/sell it.

in england English Heritage laws are very clear. you find a hoard, it's the gummint's.

I don't know about United States.
What's a gummint? I guess it's only clear if you speak English, not 'American'.
2.gif
LOL. (In case it's not clear in cyberspace, that is a joke.)
9.gif
Except for the gummint part - I really have no idea what that is. Slang for government?? I should NOT have gotten up to see that world cup game - my brain is fried.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 11:46:46 AM
Author: strmrdr
1: keep em and shut up about it
2: finders keepers, my property my gold
3: legally it belongs to the US army but morally they don''t have much claim.
Yup, that''s what I was thinking.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2006 6:46:44 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 6/20/2006 6:19:57 PM
i hate to say it but I'm with storm. i would try to keep it/sell it.

in england English Heritage laws are very clear. you find a hoard, it's the gummint's.

I don't know about United States.
What's a gummint? I guess it's only clear if you speak English, not 'American'.
2.gif
LOL. (In case it's not clear in cyberspace, that is a joke.)
9.gif
Except for the gummint part - I really have no idea what that is. Slang for government?? I should NOT have gotten up to see that world cup game - my brain is fried.
sorry i have lived in two countries. Read in drawl- like steel magnolias "gummint". put some dipthongs in. Like the boy in forrest gump- Two dipthongs on gum, two dipthongs on mint.
a gu-um mi-int

A gummint is "super southern" for government. It's a joke.
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results