shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you call this diamond? OEC? Transitional? Other??

ksmom

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!

I am now the lucky owner of what was previously HappyCanary's ering- a beautiful vintage art deco style ring. I am completely in love with it and catch myself looking at it allll the time... but I am hoping you all might help me figure out the cut of this diamond (which is around 2 ct, N/O color, and VS clarity.) Ari at Single Stone (LOVE him btw!) told me it is an OEC, but David Wolf, who appraised it for me, said it's much more modern looking to him, and is likely a transitional cut. Two very respected opinions that differ slightly, and one clueless client. =) I'm attaching pics below and would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Re: What would you call this diamond? OEC? Transitional? Oth

Gawd, that is gorgeous! Remember, at the time they just called them diamonds! I would probably say it is a European cut (but not an old european cut).

ETA- it does appear to have those slightly longer lower girdle facets which contributes to the "arrows" that is approaching transitional. I read once from Karl that the difference is really when they discovered the technology to lop off the top of the octahedron crystal and cut a second diamond from the portion above the table. In an OEC that is waste, and they had high crowns and small tables to get weight out of that shape of the crystal.

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks so much for your reply, Kelpie! I didn't even know that (regular) European cuts existed until right now. Also, you make a very good point- I should just be happy to own such a pretty piece of jewelry without trying to classify it! :D

Just saw your edit- it's those arrows that I occasionally see that had me so curious! David also mentioned the longer facets. Thanks again for taking a look!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Looks like what we call a "transitional" on the board to me ... but I'd recommend a book by Al Gilbertson called American Cut: The First Hundred Years to pinpoint it more precisely. Coatimundi recommended it to me a month or two ago, and I thought it was fascinating! I just bought a similar stone myself, and learning about it is a large part of the pleasure of having it, I think. Well, that and just admiring - your ring is a beauty! I adore the setting - it looks like an Art Nouveau dragonfly!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks like a transitional to me, but it's beautiful anyway!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you all so much for your replies and compliments! Circe- thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely look into it. I agree with you, learning more about my diamond is almost as fun as owning it! Have you posted any pictures of your new acquisition?

stci

Ideal_Rock

I go for transitional too but I would like to have a straight side picture to be sure.

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thanks so much for your input stci! Does this view help?

IMG_4179.JPG

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock

It looks transitional to me......larger table, shallower crown, smaller culet, and the appearance of 'arrows' with the checkboard-like pattern.

GORGEOUS stone....congrats!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you Allison! =)

shortee78

Shiny_Rock

Whatever it's called, it's lovely!

stci

Ideal_Rock

Yes.... a marvelous tranny (transitional).... wahooooo!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you ladies! <contented sigh> I'm happy you all like it too- I'm absolutely in love with it! =D

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, what a special and beautiful ring!! It's gorgeous! I'm thinking you should start a thread on this ring in SMTB ksmom - that forum gets more traffic and I think people would really enjoy seeing this piece!

Could I trouble you for a hand shot? I've been looking at larger older stones online and am trying to get a feel for how it would look on my hand.

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Thank you Junebug! I hadn't considered doing my own thread on SMTR because I've been such a long time lurker and have ogled so many pieces there that it seems way out of my league! :lol:

Anyway here are the handshots you requested- please forgive the awful appearance of my hands! :oops:

Oh and my ring finger is a size 4.75. :)

IMG_4402.JPG

IMG_4409.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you SO much ksmom - I'm about the same ring size as you so this is extremely helpful! It looks so beautiful on your hand!

And this ring can definitely hold it's own on SMTB! These larger older cut stones are very popular right now and everybody loves them. Thanks again, and hopefully I'll be lucky enough to own one as pretty as yours someday!

ksmom

Shiny_Rock

Junebug you are so sweet! Thank you for your kind words, and I'm very happy I could be of help! I'll try to work up the nerve to post on SMTB- but I think I'll get a manicure first. :tongue:

Can't wait to see your beautiful ring- the hunt is half the fun right? :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results