shape
carat
color
clarity

what would you buy with $1000...?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have a birthday coming up and have decided to treat myself. I don''t own a single piece of "good" jewelery, so I wanted to get myself something nice. I''m comfortable spending roughly $1000-$1500, but since it''s a lot of money (for me), I''d like it to be a piece I could wear daily and wouldn''t look terribly dated 5-10 years from now.

I''ve entertained the idea of a 16"-18" dby necklace, a 3-prong martini pendant, or bezel set pendant. I love rings as well, but haven''t seen any I like within my price range (love art deco and edwardian styles, but they tend to be a little pricier).

Any ideas, opinions, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Cartier Trinity ring. It''s under your budget, a classic, and so much fun.

E B

Ideal_Rock
A ~.50ct J, eye-clean SI1-2 stone set in a palladium bezel pendant.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
If I could find a thin (2mm) diamond eternity band in rose gold in between 1,000 and 1500, I would buy it in a heartbeat. If not... really high quality diamond studs!

*M*

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would get the biggest pair of matched diamonds I could buy (J/SI2 or the like to maximize size) and put ''em in thin DBY bezels to make earrings out of ''em.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably a thin diamond band from Signed Pieces.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2007 5:41:00 PM
Author: Harriet
The Cartier Trinity ring. It''s under your budget, a classic, and so much fun.
I had to visit the Cartier website to see the Trinity ring. It turned out to be the ring style that I finally persuaded my mother to wear in lieu of her lost wedding band. Which is the "true" Trinity band, though? There are some very nice options among the rings pictured on the Cartier site. I like the one with three bands of different colored gold, each channel set with diamonds; the three white gold bands channel set with diamonds; and the two plain bands of yellow and rose gold with the white gold band set with pave diamonds. It seemed to me that Cartier was implying that the lattermost ring was their original Trinity ring. Does anyone know?

Deborah
34.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 5:53:45 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I would get the biggest pair of matched diamonds I could buy (J/SI2 or the like to maximize size) and put ''em in thin DBY bezels to make earrings out of ''em.
Ditto, definitely.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
A thin pave or shared prong band.

A nice 1-1.5 carat vivid blue sapphire set in a pendant or ring.

A thin bezel diamond pendant around .35.

A pair of tsavorite stud earrings or sapphires.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
For $1000 I''d get a WF bangle...With the extra $500 (to max out your budget) I''d get a Signed Pieces .33 tcw 11 stone band in white gold.

San Diego Bride

Shiny_Rock
i''d get a pair of earrings like the ones wallermama has. they''re here at thediamond.com.

http://www.scheinerdiamonds.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-STD-791.html?E+scstore

the earrings are a replica of the tiffany ones, but at a much more reasonable price. wallermama has a thread on here about them somewhere. the bezel is really flat so they''d be great for every day use. maxing out your budget you could get 0.75 ctw earrings. i''ve been looking at these for a while now.

i also love the idea of a trinity ring, but i consider earrings to be a little more practical for me for everyday wear.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 9:38:15 PM
Author: novia
i''d get a pair of earrings like the ones wallermama has. they''re here at thediamond.com.

http://www.scheinerdiamonds.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-STD-791.html?E+scstore

the earrings are a replica of the tiffany ones, but at a much more reasonable price. wallermama has a thread on here about them somewhere. the bezel is really flat so they''d be great for every day use. maxing out your budget you could get 0.75 ctw earrings. i''ve been looking at these for a while now.

Ditto .. & i don''t even have pierced ears *yet* ...
9.gif
... but if 1K would get me anywhere close to that darn Tiffany Lucida bezel pendant I''m obsessed with right now -- I''d do that instead.
3.gif

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
So many lovely suggestions! Thank you all. There seems to be a strong trend towards a bezel set pendant, but I think I''d like to hold off on that for a little while until I can afford to get the lovely Whiteflash Bellerina pendant. Just gorgeous.

So far I''m leaning towards a diamonds by the yard type necklace (how long would you think for every day? 17"?) or the thin bezel set studs.

I really appreciate everyone''s responses.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Such cool ideas! Hope you don''t mind if I mooch off this thread since I found out I am getting a bonus today and want to use a bit of it for a "reward". I''ll be spending around the same amount too.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 1:38:34 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Hope you don''t mind if I mooch off this thread since I found out I am getting a bonus today and want to use a bit of it for a ''reward''. I''ll be spending around the same amount too.
If we can find five other folks with 1K we can POOL our money for the .62 Lucida pendent and SHARE it -- almost TWO months a year. **SOB**

Whatcha leanin'' toward???

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 3:58:22 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/23/2007 1:38:34 PM
Hope you don''t mind if I mooch off this thread since I found out I am getting a bonus today and want to use a bit of it for a ''reward''. I''ll be spending around the same amount too.
If we can find five other folks with 1K we can POOL our money for the .62 Lucida pendent and SHARE it -- almost TWO months a year. **SOB**

Whatcha leanin'' toward???
Where''s the pic of the pendant you coveting Deco?

I''m thinking stud earrings. You know...practical...at least when it comes to diamonds. Hubby says go for it, but I am waiting until I hit a weight goal first.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the earrings idea too. I was looking for a pic of your pendant Deco but I cant find one. Please show a pic! Im intrigued!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been curious about the Tiffany Lucinda pendant when Deco mentioned it too. So many things to daydream about. I''d love to see pictures if anyone could track one down. I''ve already tried, unsuccessfully.

There''s a David Yurman cross over ring that I''d love if it came in white gold. Not sure I can get the picture to post...

yurmanxover.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 4:40:56 PM
Where''s the pic of the pendant you coveting Deco?

I''m thinking stud earrings. You know...practical...at least when it comes to diamonds. Hubby says go for it, but I am waiting until I hit a weight goal first.

I can''t find a pix!!! I think it''s new??? Also: not likely!!! I was doing the "weight goal" negotiations in my head just earlier today. To get the Tiff pendant - I''d have to become a human "innie" (i.e. some MINUS number on the scale).
9.gif

Have you seen those Schneider bezel set studs Wallermama has ... mentioned earlier in the thread?? Perhaps a more realistic goal for me too -- whatever weight loss/age I become/ bonus received/gas station knocked-over.
31.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2007 6:09:44 PM
Author: parrot tulips
There's a David Yurman cross over ring that I'd love if it came in white gold. Not sure I can get the picture to post...
The David Yurman ring you posted is similar looking to the Cartier Trinity ring, which does come in white gold. I had never seen it until you started this thread, but when Harriet suggested the Cartier Trinity ring to you, I went off to see it (on the 'net). It comes in many manifestations. Although I love yellow gold, especially high karat gold, I think the Trinity ring looks great in white gold and diamonds!

Deborah
34.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d agree with stud earrings. Classic and noticeable in the jewelry wardrobe.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 8:58:33 AM
Author: aljdewey
I''d agree with stud earrings. Classic and noticeable in the jewelry wardrobe.
ditto the e.r. thing as stated above and above. You could get a pair of diamond I/J SI1/2 in the carat weight of about .40 - .43 each (TCW about .84) -ideal cut for just about the 1500.00 set in WG/YG 3 prong setting. Yes, very much a noticeable addition & will be fashionable years from now!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s so funny that you posted this. I have a myself and husband agreed upon "budget" of 1k a year to spend on jewelry and gems. I have promised myself that I would take a break and not buy anything until my birthday this September. However I am already thinking about how I''m going to spend that money; right now the top contenders are
a) a 1/3 semibezel wf pendant in platinum,
b) a beautiful 1.5-2 ct blue sapphire to be set into a ring the following year (it''s both mine and my new daughter''s birthstone), or c) set of .50 total diamond stud earrings, with remainder spend on more modest stone(s)
Maybe I''ll have people vote when it get''s that time of year.

As far as what you should do, guess it has to do with what would make you most happy!

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Diamond studs started sounding better and better to me, so I decided to check out some jewelery stores over the weekend. Figured I could get a better idea of what sizes worked for me and the general price range I could expect. For fun, I checked out some of the higher end stores, as well as more modest ones. Oh my! I knew there were mark-ups for brand names, but I was quoted as high as $9000 for .8 tcw studs (which actually turned out to be a great size for my personal tastes, 1 ctw being on the bigger size of what I find wearable).

Again, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results