shape
carat
color
clarity

What was your step one?

4ever

Ideal_Rock
When you started planning your wedding, what was the very first thing you orginised? The venue? The dress? A photographer? A colour scheme?

And why was that the first?

A

Anonymous

I haven't had a chance to say this on the LIW thread...so CONGRATULATIONS! :appl:

The first thing that we did was set a date. After that we picked the location b/c we were deciding between NY and CA. Over the next week we looked for a venue that would work for us (needed something that could work for reception and ceremony if needed). :)

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement!

My first step after getting engaged in February 2009 was to select 3 possible dates in August/September 2010.

Then, I researched and shortlisted venues, because I knew I wanted a destination wedding and had to schedule a trip over the summer to visit the venues.

Then I started researching and getting quotes from photographers.

In August, 13 months before my wedding, I finalized the date and signed a contract with the venue and the photographer.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Congrats again!

I think from memory the first thing for us was deciding The general timeframe that we wanted to be engaged and when to get married. It took us a while to come up with an actual date though. After that we decided on the gereral style of wedding we wanted and went from there.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
We picked our date first (wanted to get married on our anniversary), and then my next step was finding a photographer because it was far and away the next most important thing on my list. After that were the reception venue (we wanted a particular BBQ place to cater the reception...it was #2 on our list of important things...we ended up choosing that restaurant's private dining facility) and ceremony venue (married in a non-denominational church was #3 on our list).

Not sure when we chose the color scheme exactly...but we pretty much had all the vendors and venues, as well as the colors, picked out before we were engaged, since we already knew our date, and only really had time to get out to KC to verify our choices, instead of looking at a lot of different places.

Congrats again, Future Girl!!! Good luck with planning!!!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
We first decided on a rough timeframe and a rough idea of the number of guests. Nothing specific, just that we wanted a fall wedding and that we wanted around 100 people. Then we looked out venues and picked a date based on the availability of the venue we wanted. We were planning about six months before the wedding so we didn't have time to be picky about the day.

CurlySue

Brilliant_Rock
We picked a few potential dates first, worked on a first draft of our guest list to get a sense of numbers, and then selected our venue.

I found it helpful to have the rough and realistic count on the guest list b/c that really determined a lot of budgetary issues. We didn't want to select a venue only to have to limit our guest count, you know? So knowing that up front really helped us whittle our potential venues down fairly quickly.

Also, we didn't have a clear cut sense of what we wanted our wedding to look/feel like, so finding the venue helped the rest of the details fall into place.

BTW - congrats on your engagement!!!

mrowmrowsmom

Rough_Rock
We did venue and date at the same time. We looked at some venues with September in mind, then once we picked the venue, we asked what days in September they had availability.

After we picked the venue and date, we had a great starting point for the "theme" of the wedding based on the venue we chose. The time of year and the feeling of the space were great jumping off points for picking the dress, then colors and flowers, etc.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats on your engagement!!

The first thing we decided was a date. Then, we got a planner. We have yet to choose a venue, but we knew what city we wanted it in. I just hope that the venue we wants has the date available.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Venue often determines the date. So venue first unless you have many good choices of venue and a long time frame.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
We had a 14 month engagement so we had some months when we accomplished a lot and other months where we took a bit of a break. If I remember correctly, the first thing we did was choose our venue.

We eventually decided that we wanted to get married near the beach, and our venue is in a popular beach town, especially in the summer. One of the benefits of having our wedding/reception where we did was that because it's a restaurant, it was one stop shopping for many things that we wanted to include.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our venue and photographer were non-negotiable. We had them picked out before we were even engaged. So we found a date where both were available, and went on from there!

Congrats again future girl!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
mrowmrowsmom|1295276697|2824884 said:
We did venue and date at the same time. We looked at some venues with September in mind, then once we picked the venue, we asked what days in September they had availability.

After we picked the venue and date, we had a great starting point for the "theme" of the wedding based on the venue we chose. The time of year and the feeling of the space were great jumping off points for picking the dress, then colors and flowers, etc.
I knew what venue I wanted to use before we were engaged (didn't even look at others), and then Memorial Day weekend worked, so it went from there.

mrowmrowsmom's second paragraph is just spot-on, from my experience. So much of the planning was dictated by location and date that it would be hard to do a lot before knowing those two variables!

Congrats and welcome to BIW!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
The venue! It decides everything from the feel to even the date!

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
We picked the church and reception venue first--their availability was what determined our date. We also figured out our bridal party right away so we could make sure they were all available on our date as well.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
First it was the date and then it was the venue, caterer, DJ, lighting, and photography.

We picked the date first - it had to be after motorcycle racing season was done.

Then we started looking at venues, got ours picked and a deposit put down bout 1 month after being engaged.

Third was to pick attendants.

Hope that helps!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
First we made a tentative guest list, so we had an idea of how many guests we were looking at, since that had an effect on what venues we could consider. Then, with a general time frame in mind, we started looking for venues as well as sending some preliminary emails to photogs to get their pricing. We knew we wanted a mid-April to mid-June date, but were flexible otherwise. Once we figured out which venue was our favorite, we set the date and were able to run that date by our final few photog choices.

Good luck and try and enjoy the ride!

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I started with my dress because, at the time, we were trying to push the date of the wedding up. Had I not been in a hurry, I would have started with the venue. As Italia said, the venue sets the tone for the rest of the wedding.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Like many of the other ladies, we decided on a rough time of year first and then went to our (fairly cost effective) venue of choice and asked about dates in that time period. I had done some (er, a lot :lol: ) of research prior to getting engaged so I had some preferred venues in mind.

After we locked in a reception venue and date, we went looking for a ceremony venue and decided on that pretty quickly. Next we chose our photographer (again, I knew which one I loved best in our price range and FI liked them so that was that) and then the unhappy dress hunt began.

After ordering a dress, things went quiet. I have to pick it up though because today is the one year anniversary of our engagement and the wedding is July 9!

nicoleben

Shiny_Rock
my first thing was my dress... I didnt know exactly what I wanted, but when I had it on I knew it was perfect for me, and for how many things i could with it for my wedding.. my dress is very vintage looking, lace etc.. So i went from there.. and now its a 1940s modern/vintage theme if that makes any sense haha...

we originally wanted to be married in september, but with so many weddings go on in that month we just opted for a fall wedding in the mid of october.. In addition, the venue that fit with our church actually fit my vintage theme well.. lots of crystals hanging from the lighting etc.. it worked out very well.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I was engaged 1 week before a trip that was already planned near the location I wanted to be married. So I first figured out a date range, and than went on a very last minute venue hunt. Once I secured the venue, and had the date locked in, I started working on everything else.

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
CONGRATS!!

My first step was picking the date. Once that was set, we jumped into catering first because food was very important to us.
Then we booked the venue. After that was deciding on the color scheme. Once color scheme was done we were able to coordinate the invitation to the colors. Once the invitations were picked out (if you are a DIY'er check out your nearest Michaels for 'BRIDES.com' invitations, they are AWESOME!) we booked the DJ last weekend, and today I got my dress.

I wouldn't have known it when I was starting out but the venue and time of day have A LOT to do with the type of dress you go with, so I would hold off on the dress until you have those two set up.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Date first (2 year anniversary of the day we met)

I booked photographers and videographers next, as they could go wherever the venue was. The good ones book up well in advance.

Then venue.

Haven't sorted out flowers and decor yet.

That's next!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

We are choosing the venue first and from there we can figgure our the date and the style etc.

I have found one venue that I really like (and other which would be nice too) but it won't be cheap and means spending a bit more than I originally wanted. BUT it is BEAUTIFUL and the food would be super uber AMAZING and the venue has everything exept centre peices and a cake so would be pretty hassel free where as the cheaper options would be a lot of work.

FI's parents live in the UK and havn't said yet weather they can come. If they can't we may have to do a destination wedding somewhere between the two countires wich means no firends will likely make it and no super amazing venue :( I'm trying not to love this place too much in case F's parents can't come.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results