shape
carat
color
clarity

What was your favorite movie as a kid?

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Me: "Batman" (the 1966 version) with Adam West and Burt Ward

My husband and I are laughing our heads off watching it now, but I took it very seriously back in the day.

What was your favorite movie as a kid?

Are we twins? I loved Batman and my sister and I watched it religiously when it was on in the 60s. Adam West's voice ... sigh. Although I identified more with Robin.

But as a small child I was obsessed with Mary Poppins. Somehow I made my mother take me to it multiple times in the theaters, and since she was broke that was no easy task for either of us.

B

Betty Baguette

Are we twins? I loved Batman and my sister and I watched it religiously when it was on in the 60s. Adam West's voice ... sigh. Although I identified more with Robin.

But as a small child I was obsessed with Mary Poppins. Somehow I made my mother take me to it multiple times in the theaters, and since she was broke that was no easy task for either of us.

Adam West was so hot. :bigsmile:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Wizard of Oz!
Every once in a while they would show it on TV.

When I was twelve, I saw Gone With the Wind on TV, which became my new favorite.
Funny, they were both made in '39.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Many and many-a!
These were the 'little kid' movies I remember loving:

The Dark Crystal
Secret of Nimh
Labyrinth
The Last Unicorn

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Movies I loved as a kid and that I still enjoy:
"They call me Trinity" with Bud Spencer and Terence Hill; basically I love any movie with them.
Movies I loved as a kid, but that I hate hate hate as an adult:
"The dawn of the dead" 1978 version;
scary movies by Dario Argento, particularly
"Deep red"
"Suspiria"
"Phenomena"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh's favorite movie as a kid:
2001 Space Odyssey

My favorite movies as a kid:
Mary Poppins
Wizard of Oz
Sound of Music
(which we just rewatched and it's still one of my favorite movies)

One of my favorite movies now that was around when I was a kid but I do not remember if I watched it when I was so young:
The Godfather

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Back to the future
i was at intermediate school
first movie i ever saw twice
first movie i went to at night
still really enjoyable

honeoable mention to the origional smurf movie
my aunty took my sister and me
i remember the colours were just beautiful

the first movie i ever saw was Dumbo
my Dad took me
i saw it again a few years ago on a long flight
i found it quite scary

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea Hah! I guess I liked a lot of them. I do remember to taking a field trip from school to see Mary Poppins when it opened and loving it. But I'm sure I loved a lot of others too.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oz!

It's hard to imagine that it was a flop when it was released.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot about my love for The Neverending Story! My mother read us the book but I can’t remember whether that was before or after the movie came out in the 80s. Anyway, I loved both, but the book was longer and better than the movie. In fact, I just bought a new copy of the hardcover edition that is printed in green and red inside according to whether it’s taking place in Fantasia or in “real life” in the bookstore with Bastian.

The actor who played the Childlike Empress has a daughter who looks EXACTLY like she did in the movie. It’s uncanny.

I was also a huge fan of Wizard of Oz. Another emerald reference that made me love the gemstone.

Another favorite was Darby O’Gill and the Little People, absolutely loved it for some reason even though I remember it being kind of scary.

Labyrinth—omg Jennifer Connelly was devastatingly beautiful to me and I wished I looked like her in her jeans and white peasant top and her beautiful long hair.

The Dark Crystal—the skeksis scared the sh-t out of me, but it was a cool movie back then. Haven’t seen the remake.

I used to borrow Free to Be…You and Me (Marlo Thomas project) from the library all the time.

And finally, Savannah Smiles. Another movie I borrowed from the library nonstop for like a year. I grew up in a rural area without cable, so while everyone “in town” was watching MTV and whatever at the time, I was borrowing movies and books from the library, watching PBS, and watching sports with my dad or playing outside. Looking back I had a spectacular childhood and despite wanting desperately to get out and see the world (which I did) I had it so good.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I forgot about my love for The Neverending Story! My mother read us the book but I can’t remember whether that was before or after the movie came out in the 80s. Anyway, I loved both, but the book was longer and better than the movie. In fact, I just bought a new copy of the hardcover edition that is printed in green and red inside according to whether it’s taking place in Fantasia or in “real life” in the bookstore with Bastian.

The actor who played the Childlike Empress has a daughter who looks EXACTLY like she did in the movie. It’s uncanny.

I was also a huge fan of Wizard of Oz. Another emerald reference that made me love the gemstone.

Another favorite was Darby O’Gill and the Little People, absolutely loved it for some reason even though I remember it being kind of scary.

Labyrinth—omg Jennifer Connelly was devastatingly beautiful to me and I wished I looked like her in her jeans and white peasant top and her beautiful long hair.

The Dark Crystal—the skeksis scared the sh-t out of me, but it was a cool movie back then. Haven’t seen the remake.

I used to borrow Free to Be…You and Me (Marlo Thomas project) from the library all the time.

And finally, Savannah Smiles. Another movie I borrowed from the library nonstop for like a year. I grew up in a rural area without cable, so while everyone “in town” was watching MTV and whatever at the time, I was borrowing movies and books from the library, watching PBS, and watching sports with my dad or playing outside. Looking back I had a spectacular childhood and despite wanting desperately to get out and see the world (which I did) I had it so good.

I told my youngest about this yesterday, and asked her what hers was, and she looked at me and said "Atraaaaaayuuuuu!".
Oz is her second favorite.
"I can't believe you didn't say Neverending Story, we even have your old VHS!"
Then we had to sing it, of course.

* hahaha we used to do this thing when she was little where we'd squinch our eyes and wait for DH to walk between us and pretend to laser him.
We used to act out so many little bits.:lol:

Darby O'Gill! I forgot about that one- I was obsessed with faeries and 'the hidden/little people' of all kinds as a kid. I had so many books about them. It had the banshee, too. That was scary to me.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The Wizard of Oz!
Every once in a while they would show it on TV.

When I was twelve, I saw Gone With the Wind on TV, which became my new favorite.
Funny, they were both made in '39.

I loved both too. I also liked Grease! And I loved Sound of Music too.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While I am not a great fan of musicals Sound of Music (Mom's fav) and American Graffiti comes to mind.

cheers--Sharon

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Godzilla, all of them from the 50s and 60s.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

OMG that brought me back! Before my time, but my brothers and I laughed for years over this campy line! If all I saw was that line, I would not recall where I heard it -- but it would make me laugh. A family of ducks in the water, IIRC? It's all coming back...:lol-2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Godzilla, all of them from the 50s and 60s.

Godzilla is also my fav. I've watched them all and the latest movie (Minus One) was fabu. But I didn't watch them as a kid.

cheers--Sharon

empliau

Shiny_Rock
OMG that brought me back! Before my time, but my brothers and I laughed for years over this campy line! If all I saw was that line, I would not recall where I heard it -- but it would make me laugh. A family of ducks in the water, IIRC? It's all coming back...:lol-2:

If memory serves, Batman (and the bomb) were confronted with: a duck with ducklings, nuns, and a Salvation Army band, or some such. My sister and I also quoted it often.

Now I want to watch it again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results