shape
carat
color
clarity

What unusual food do you enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 8:39:27 PM
Author: FrekeChild
As a kid I used to eat scrambled eggs with ketchup. It made my mom sick to have to make it for me.

I haven''t had that in a long long long time...
hmmm...I only eat my scrambled eggs with ketchup! I never quite understood Kraft Dinner with ketchup though...

I love cream cheese on saltine crackers and I eat vanilla frosting with a spoon. YUM!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 8:06:18 PM
Author: musey

Date: 2/19/2009 7:50:08 PM
Author: princesss
Has anybody said Frosties and French fries? I *love* that combination! Mmmmmm. Sweet and salty, hot and cold. PERFECT!
Yes! I remember that was a big thing in high school. I haven''t had any Wendy''s in quite some time.
girlysigh.gif
YES!!! But haven''t had that in ages, soooo yummy!!!
18.gif
18.gif

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
musey, I can go on and on about how I love natto. It's SO GOOD!!!!!!!! I will eat it every day for breakfast if I had better access to a Japanese supermarket. Natto sushi, Natto ramen, oatmeal with natto, fried rice with natto...But of course plain natto + rice + soy sauce is the best.
I do have an open mind, and I understand that it's an acquired taste. And I always brush my teeth afterward
12.gif
3.gif

Until I opened this thread I wasn't aware that you can eat oatmeal raw.
6.gif
Must try immediately.

ETA
bia, I'm so glad I'm not the only one that likes burnt stuff! I'm embarrassed to tell people because burnt stuff usually equals bad cook.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Choro, I can respect your love for natto. But I will say that my husband, upon taking his first bite, told me that he "could have thrown up in his mouth and not even noticed the difference."
14.gif

2.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Love it or Hate it?

I love marmite..my mate!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha steel!!

I have a friend (grew up in NZ, until about age 6) who''s obsessed with vegemite. She told us that we HAD to try it when we were there in October. I wasn''t a fan (we tried vegemite, marmite and what''s the other one?), but we made sure to bring back a tub of it for her!!!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oh! Oh! Dry ramen. Take the spice pack out, break the ramen, pour the spices back in, shake the bag, and eat. Delicious!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 5:29:53 PM
Author: Octavia
Oh man, now I''m craving goat cheese and dill pickle juice. Even together sounds good. And mozzarella cheese when it''s cooked to the point of getting crispy and starts to caramelize on top. Ooh, yummy.

I love prunes -- I could eat a whole container in one sitting but I''m afraid that would produce very bad results. Also, I''m a fan of anything with bechamel sauce or a variant thereof.

There are many Trader Joe''s in our area to get goat cheese on the cheap! In fact, pretty much any gourmet cheese you''d want at a fraction of main stream grocery story prices.

And thats a YES on the result of eating a whole bag of prunes...

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:11:46 PM
Author: Steel
Love it or Hate it?

I love marmite..my mate!

My father eats this stuff by the ton! Then again, he was raised in New Zealand so I suppose its totally a cultural thing for Brits/Kiwis/Aussies/Irish/Scots... etc.

A friend of ours didn''t know what it was and figured it was just chocolate spread. So she made a slice of toast and spread a nice thick layer of marmite on her toast. BOY was she surprised upon the first bite!!
14.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:02:37 PM
Author: princesss
Oh! Oh! Dry ramen. Take the spice pack out, break the ramen, pour the spices back in, shake the bag, and eat. Delicious!
Tehehehe, I love broken ramen on my salad, lots of it!
18.gif

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
A lot of mine have been mentioned (glad I''m not the only weirdo!):

- Lemons and limes (I used to take a lime to school as a kid as my "healthy snack." My teachers and friends thought I was nuts.)
- Just balsamic vinegar on salad or bread
- Sour Patch Kids ''til my tongue bleeds
- Crescent roll dough
- Canned corn
- Borscht
- Shirley Temples with vodka (many a bartender has given me an odd look for ordering them)
- Water chestnuts

SparklyLibra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:50:19 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
I love peanut butter just out of the jar.

I used to eat ramen noodles raw haha... and I will second the raw oatmeal!!

23.gif
WHAT!?! I do that too! I usually crush the noodles and sprinkle the seasoning into the bag and shake it all up.... It''s like shrimp flavored Chex mix! LOL!
18.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:15:37 PM
Author: Bia
I forgot I like burnt stuff too.

But I think it''s bad for you.

I only eat my scrambled eggs burnt. I HATE runny scrambled eggs. I always order my eggs "scrambled and burt with sour cream on the side." Waitresses look at me like I''m crazy.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:44:55 PM
Author: Clairitek
Date: 2/19/2009 1:53:04 PM

Author: Iowa Lizzy

Date: 2/19/2009 11:40:45 AM

Author: geckodani

Date: 2/19/2009 11:28:23 AM

Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/19/2009 11:26:55 AM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

I like uncooked oatmeal too. I''ve been known in weak moments, to make oatmeal cookie dough without the eggs and eat it raw (so it''s basically just sugar, butter, and oats).
Oh my gosh, funny, glad I am NOT alone! haha
9.gif
I will try uncooked baked goods, it is just so yummy, especially cake or muffin batter!

I tried to steal an uncooked roll off of the baking sheet at my MIL''s last week. She gave me such a horrified look that I stopped. But man. I wanted one. I''ll eat the dough version of ANYTHING.

Add me to the list of ''dough lovers!'' Whenever I make those cresent rolls from the can I can''t help but sneak little bits off to nibble on. I love the taste, texture, and oldly enough, the SMELL!

I too am a raw dough eater. This is why I don''t make cookies when I am hungry! I will put a spoonful on the tray and then one in my mouth.
12.gif

I also love making fresh pasta and eating the dough. When I make some for dinner I make a triple batch. Two for me and FI to eat for dinner and then 1 for me to eat while I''m cooking.
41.gif

Mini thread jack but related to cookies and peanut butter.

I''ve been out of work for 2 months and I''ve been bored out of my mind. I''ve started doing a lot of baking and I send the results in with FI to work the next day. So I''ve started to develop a bit of a reputation at the office. I just received a request for cookies that are chocolate chip reece''s pb cup. Basically they want me to try to make CC cookies with a cup in the middle. I''m going to try them this weekend. I''ll report my findings, probably in the cookie thread.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 4:13:04 PM
Author: trillionaire
Date: 2/19/2009 11:18:37 AM

Author: grapegravity

straight butter on a knife...
11.gif

Mmm, another good one! I would eat butter on saltine crackers! Mmmm!

I LOVE PB and carrots... I usually crave this when I am ''cycling'', very comforting. When I was a kid, I would eat cake or brownie mix straight from the bag with a spoon. HEAVEN!

My recent thing is turkey bacon broiled with brown sugar, curry powder and cayenne pepper. It''s incredible. I think I''ll go make some now... and peas...

Oooh butter on saltines IS great!!! I like it plain like that or with a little raspberry jam!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 6:34:12 PM
Author: niccia
I also love pickle juice
18.gif
, gobs of butter on toast/potatoes/crackers, and beef fat. Not the kind that drizzles out of hamburger, but the fatty parts off the steak. My fiance slices it all off and I try to trade him for my meat, but it grosses him out so he usually won''t let me!

Nicca-I''m totally with you on the beef fat thing. It''s yummy when it''s nice and crispy/carmelized like bacon. LOVE IT!!

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
I love eating toast with butter, jam, and cheddar cheese. Something about the combo of salty and sweet- I could eat it every day. MMMM.

whitetulips

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:09:39 PM
Choro, I can respect your love for natto. But I will say that my husband, upon taking his first bite, told me that he 'could have thrown up in his mouth and not even noticed the difference.'
14.gif

2.gif

I almost threw up in my mouth just SMELLING natto the one time that I was introduced to it
32.gif
. I was open to trying it, but as soon as it got near my mouth my gag reflex kicked in and it was game over for me. I don't know how you do it Choro, but I have a massive amount of respect for you.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is natto?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:32:13 AM
Author: dragonfly411
Frog legs, I have fallen in love with almond milk, Fried Pickles and Fried Green Tomatoes and Fried Okra... well... okra PERIOD.
27.gif

Ooh fried okra! I only got introduced to this last year by BF''s family but it''s soooo good!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Ok weird foods:

I love cuttlefish. It''s a Korean snack - can also be eaten marinated with rice.

And filefish - also a snack. Yum!

And I discovered this summer that I really like sashimi and (cooked!) cow heart and tongue (not a big fan of kidneys, livers and stomach though!)

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 12:32:54 AM
What is natto?
Muwahahaha, I''m so glad someone asked! I love it so much my fingers were twiching!
9.gif
Natto is fermented soy beans. O the ways we eat soy beans...Tofu, Edamame, Soy Sauce, and Natto!

It smells like garbage and that''s what it taste like too. Many Japanese hate it, but if you are raised with it then it''s the best tasting thing in the world. It''s more slimy and stringy than okra, and takes practice to eat it without getting it on your clothes.

The best thing about it is it''s super healthy. My mom used to not like it but she learned to eat it for nutritional benifits. She hides the taste with tons of chives. It''s loaded with vitamins, calcium, iron, etc. The best part about it is the cleansing effect. It cleans out your clogged heart better than onions or garlic.

I would never present it to my friends here. They will think I''ve lost it
37.gif
. They already can''t stand the smell of fish that I eat.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:54:33 AM
Author: choro72

What is natto?
Muwahahaha, I''m so glad someone asked! I love it so much my fingers were twiching!
9.gif
Natto is fermented soy beans. O the ways we eat soy beans...Tofu, Edamame, Soy Sauce, and Natto!

It smells like garbage and that''s what it taste like too. Many Japanese hate it, but if you are raised with it then it''s the best tasting thing in the world. It''s more slimy and stringy than okra, and takes practice to eat it without getting it on your clothes.

The best thing about it is it''s super healthy. My mom used to not like it but she learned to eat it for nutritional benifits. She hides the taste with tons of chives. It''s loaded with vitamins, calcium, iron, etc. The best part about it is the cleansing effect. It cleans out your clogged heart better than onions or garlic.

37.gif
Okay so I''m going to pass on trying Natto. It''s now up there with the fermented and fetal eggs. Okay so not that high, but still. Thanks!! LOL.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought of something unusual that I eat on a regular basis, but it's not because it's weird, it's just a regional thing.

Red or Green?

Chile that is. And it's purely a New Mexican delicacy. Skippy and MonkeyPie know whats up. You can buy the canned stuff all over the country (I think-they have it in Hyde Park and Poughkeepsie NY--and that's really far from NM) but it's just not the same as the fresh roasted stuff here in NM. It's one of the reasons Fall is my favorite season.

And where can you get this natto stuff? I have a huge asian grocery store close by...

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard of the NM chili. I''m such a wuss that I can''t even handle mustard, but FI loves them!

You can find Natto in the tofu section. Usually in about 5"x5" Styrofoam packaging, and it comes in stack of three or four. OR, there is the mini size in about 2" round cup, set of three or four.
Generally, there is the type where the beans are in the full original form or called "hikiwari" where the beans are chopped up in tiny pieces. I like the full beans better.

When you open it, stir the natto to make sure the you get the stringiness mixed up (Just a few seconds will do). The package includes a flavor pack (soy sauce with stock) and mustard (which I don''t use). Pour the flavor pack in the natto, and stir it again. Then I pour the natto on my rice, mix it to have the natto even in the rice, and eat!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I also really like bubble tea... It''s different flavors of tea with tapioca balls in it. Yummmmm!!!!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 1:59:25 AM
Author: Gypsy
Date: 2/20/2009 1:54:33 AM

What is natto?

9.gif

37.gif

Okay so I''m going to pass on trying Natto. It''s now up there with the fermented and fetal eggs. Okay so not that high, but still. Thanks!! LOL.

DITTO!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Musey & C-tek. Marmite is so controversial. I usually have it on toast in the morning and I have to give DH a kiss before I have it as he refuses to kiss me after in case he catches even a whiff of the yeasty goodness
20.gif
! mmmmmmh

I love burned food too. I like my toast really toasted and my sausages have to be black to be cooked.

I used to adore black pudding until I read the ingredients and found the major one was blood
32.gif
. I gave it to the dog and have never eaten it since - still love the smell though.

I love tiny cheese cubes in my (supposed to be healthy) salad. I know it defeats the purpose but who cares.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is natto?
Hudson, I linked it in my first natto post yesterday:

Date: 2/19/2009 2:50:13 PM
Date: 2/19/2009 12:31:30 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Well first off, I''ll eat anything. Not joking.
Freke, would you eat natto? Please say no.

It''s my husband''s grandmother''s favorite food
sick.gif

It tastes like death and the goo sticks to every surface of your mouth. We had to make a special trip back to our hotel last time we visited JUST so we could brush our teeth after she forced us to ''just try it!''

peng005.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 9:02:03 PM

ETA
bia, I''m so glad I''m not the only one that likes burnt stuff! I''m embarrassed to tell people because burnt stuff usually equals bad cook.
Never! I consider myself a pretty decent cook and I always have a little something burned leftover. Like the crispy rice at the bottom of the pan, all mine! And the burned pieces of bacon, "do not touch!"
9.gif
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results