shape
carat
color
clarity

What unusual food do you enjoy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I love sour patch kids! I don''t usually eat candy, but I cannot stop with those, and I usually end up with a sore tongue from all the sour!
8.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:36:27 AM
Author: White Orchid
I love kefir! I know it's supposed to be a drink, but I love to eat it like yogurt. Mixed with strawberries it's so yummy!
That's funny, I'm thinking the same thing. I love the strawberry flavored Kefir from Trader Joe's...drink it straight out of the bottle
18.gif

Unusual foods:
Though this may sound like an episode of Bizarre Foods, I will admit I love stewed tripe (cow belly) with veggies with white rice. It's called mondongo and it's a popular latin dish that is very rich and made on special occasions. I also love kimchi (Korean fermented cabbage), guyabano milkshakes
18.gif
, sauteed greens & garlic (yes, I drink the leftover juice), unripened mangoes w/ salt, lemon/lime w/ salt, oranges w/ salt, apples w/ salt (I love salt :).

Anything else...oh!, I also love chicken liver paté on crackers...

The list goes on and on because I pretty much I like all food. BUT I will draw the line on anything that is really too funky.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I''m crazy about Sriracha--that hot chili sauce. Food is just a vehicle for Sriracha. It''s so hot--it burns, but I''m an addict, and I''ll take the pain.
3.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 10:59:56 AM
Author: AmberGretchen
Well, its not an unusual food in and of itself, but I like unusual quantities of it - vinegar (or lemon juice) - I LOVE anything super acidic (not sour candies necessarily, though I like those too). When I was little my mom would make Asian noodle soup and I would put so much vinegar in it was practically like drinking the stuff
20.gif
3.gif

Ditto to this post! I love eating lemons straight and adding vinegar to everything - salads, sandwiches, soups...

I have an unusual taste for vinegar - I love the smell too. I know you''re a scientist; ever just take a quick whiff of straight acetic acid or N3 buffer? My labmates think I''m so weird, but to me, it just smells SO good!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well first off, I''ll eat anything. Not joking.

As for weird stuff? I can''t think of anything because it all seems normal to me.
7.gif

One of my favorite snacks (that might be considered odd) is shredded cheese with lime juice squirted over it and melted on a silpat in the oven. Yum yum yum...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 12:31:30 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Well first off, I''ll eat anything. Not joking.

As for weird stuff? I can''t think of anything because it all seems normal to me.
7.gif

One of my favorite snacks (that might be considered odd) is shredded cheese with lime juice squirted over it and melted on a silpat in the oven. Yum yum yum...
Freke
let me know when you make some turtle soup.
9.gif

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock
cucumbers and honey

they''re REALLY good together...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I have an expanded definition of “unusual” and “unconventional” when it comes to food. I’ve noticed that many things I enjoy and consider rather conventional many people consider outside of mainstream. I generally eat everything with the exception of Lentils (don’t agree with me).

Just a few:
Edamame is one of my favorite snack foods. We always have some in the freezer. I’ll generally eat any vegetable or fruit. I’ve never tried Durian though and am wary of it.
I love liver, brain and tongue. Don’t eat them to often as they are high in cholesterol, but love them. Rocky Mountain Oysters... yum.
Game meats like venison, elk, duck, buffalo, ostrich and rabbit are frequent flyers at our house. Have eaten and liked snake, aligator, and emu, etc.
Frog legs, escargot , etc… love it.
Adore seafood. Can't think of any of it I wouldn't eat... except blowfish, but that's just because I don't believe in eating poison, or risking it.

For me food prep and quality are what I'm fussy about, as long as it's well prepared, tastes good and is fresh, I'll probably eat it, and like it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol DF. I''ve threatened many a time. FI always gets this really pained look on his face and doesn''t talk to me for an hour afterward.
3.gif

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Conch Soup
23.gif

Lemon rind
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Conch anything is great!

April20

Ideal_Rock
I have a raving goat cheese addiction. I will eat it in or on just about anything.

I could also eat grits every single day. I''ll add a little romano cheese to them and then top them with shrimp, bacon and sundried tomatoes, all of which I glaze with garlic pepper jelly.

The garlic pepper jelly is something else I will eat on anything and everything. I used to get it at Pike Place Market when I lived in Seattle. For a while, I would grab six jars everytime I went back west. That travel stopped so I started ordering online. I just got 8 jars.
6.gif

One last thing I can''t seem to get enough of... sweet pototoes. That''s not unusual or weird, but what is more atypical is that I don''t like them sweet. I like them savory. I''ll flavor them with garlic, cayenne, salt, a little olive oil or butter. I could eat that alone for dinner.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Peanut Butter and Banana sandwiches.

Oh, and avocados. I like to just put a little lemon juice on one and scoop the meat out of the shell. Yummmm!

When I was a poor college student I''d eat croutons like potato chips, right outta the bag. Holy carb overload Batman!

When I was a child I loved sardines from the can. I don''t think I''ve had one in over 20 years. I wonder if I''d like them now.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 1:24:46 PM
Author: April20
I have a raving goat cheese addiction. I will eat it in or on just about anything.

I could also eat grits every single day. I''ll add a little romano cheese to them and then top them with shrimp, bacon and sundried tomatoes, all of which I glaze with garlic pepper jelly.

The garlic pepper jelly is something else I will eat on anything and everything. I used to get it at Pike Place Market when I lived in Seattle. For a while, I would grab six jars everytime I went back west. That travel stopped so I started ordering online. I just got 8 jars.
6.gif

Have you tried pepper jelly on cream cheese or goat cheese? It''s fantastic! Sweet but tangy...

One last thing I can''t seem to get enough of... sweet pototoes. That''s not unusual or weird, but what is more atypical is that I don''t like them sweet. I like them savory. I''ll flavor them with garlic, cayenne, salt, a little olive oil or butter. I could eat that alone for dinner.

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in the goat cheese lovers. Mmmmm I am craving some now!

Probably my stranger choice is liverwurst. My grandpa and I used to eat it together all the time.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Another one for raw oysters
18.gif

Oh..lobster...tamale and all, and clams, whole-bellied only! New Englanders don't mess around.
3.gif

ETA: Anchovies, straight from the can. Am I weird?
33.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:40:45 AM
Author: geckodani

Date: 2/19/2009 11:28:23 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/19/2009 11:26:55 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I like uncooked oatmeal too. I''ve been known in weak moments, to make oatmeal cookie dough without the eggs and eat it raw (so it''s basically just sugar, butter, and oats).
Oh my gosh, funny, glad I am NOT alone! haha
9.gif
I will try uncooked baked goods, it is just so yummy, especially cake or muffin batter!
I tried to steal an uncooked roll off of the baking sheet at my MIL''s last week. She gave me such a horrified look that I stopped. But man. I wanted one. I''ll eat the dough version of ANYTHING.
Ditto that!!! I love dough or batter of anything - I always pinch off a bit of dough to eat when I make rolls or pizza dough, etc.

I''m obsessed with dairy...I made tirimisu for V-day last week and I drank a little bit of the heavy cream as a treat. It was DARNED good. When we were in Mexico, I drank so much milk - I swear they mixed heavy cream in with skim or something. It tasted devine. I''ll eat any cheese plain - I''ve just fallen in love with the Mexican melting cheese (unmelted) that comes in the round shape - it''s like feta crossed with fresh mozz. OMG good.

I don''t think there''s much on this thread that I haven''t nodded and thought "mmm!"- YES to fried okra (dipped in ranch - delish!) - and Haven, I do the uncooked pasta thing too. WEIRD!

Other faves:
-French or Western dressing with pizza
-Ranch dressing with sweet italian bread (best from Avanti''s - the PSers from central IL should know this one)
-Tomatoes with just a little salt
-Green onions dipped in salt
-Pickled ginger (supposed to be served with sushi...I just got a container and ate it as a snack)
-Braunschweiger (I can''t spell it for the life of me...the liver pate stuff)

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:40:45 AM
Author: geckodani

Date: 2/19/2009 11:28:23 AM
Author: Skippy123

Date: 2/19/2009 11:26:55 AM
I like uncooked oatmeal too. I''ve been known in weak moments, to make oatmeal cookie dough without the eggs and eat it raw (so it''s basically just sugar, butter, and oats).
Oh my gosh, funny, glad I am NOT alone! haha
9.gif
I will try uncooked baked goods, it is just so yummy, especially cake or muffin batter!
I tried to steal an uncooked roll off of the baking sheet at my MIL''s last week. She gave me such a horrified look that I stopped. But man. I wanted one. I''ll eat the dough version of ANYTHING.
Add me to the list of "dough lovers!" Whenever I make those cresent rolls from the can I can''t help but sneak little bits off to nibble on. I love the taste, texture, and oldly enough, the SMELL!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:45:26 AM
Author: misskitty

Date: 2/19/2009 10:57:42 AM
Author: Clairitek

Me too! I also don't like sandwiches but will make a meal out of the parts intended to be put into one. I love cold cuts straight out of the deli bag and slices of cheese the same way.

I totally do this, too! B thinks I'm totally weird for eating deli meat plain, then snacking on bread, then eating cheese.
I also really like sweet/savory mixes, sometimes in strange combos (the Krispy Kreme Sloppy Joe from the thisiswhyyou'refat thread? Umm, that was mine).
Is eating deli meat plain out of the bag "unusual?" I didn't realize this. Both my husband, one of my sons, and I all do this. . .I love Virginia Ham!

My weird addiction is Mint Chocolate Rice Dream sandwiches. I eat one almost every day: http://www.tastethedream.com/products/product/1498/205.php They're actually becoming a compulsive addiction. My grocery cart seems empty unless there are a few of them in there. AND, I have to hide them under other food in the freezer so my husband doesn't find and eat them. Luckily he never lifts up the freezer-burned bag of Tator Tots and finds them nestled under there.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 11:50:19 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
I love peanut butter just out of the jar.

I used to eat ramen noodles raw haha... and I will second the raw oatmeal!!
My kids love both peanut butter out of the jar AND raw ramen noodles. They also love to eat raw pasta noodles, too, and also cereal without milk. My older son likes to sprinkle pepper in water and drink that!

I tried to get the boys to try dry cat food once (lol!), but they said "eeh." Funny thing is I DID try it when I was young. Shouldn''t every kid test it out once?

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 1:57:44 PM
Author: MC

Date: 2/19/2009 11:50:19 AM
Author: OUpeargirl
I love peanut butter just out of the jar.

I used to eat ramen noodles raw haha... and I will second the raw oatmeal!!
My kids love both peanut butter out of the jar AND raw ramen noodles. They also love to eat raw pasta noodles, too, and also cereal without milk. My older son likes to sprinkle pepper in water and drink that!

I tried to get the boys to try dry cat food once (lol!), but they said ''eeh.'' Funny thing is I DID try it when I was young. Shouldn''t every kid test it out once?
I had to reread that sentence. I can''t stop giggling! You sound like a very interesting mom.

9.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
lots of stuff i''ve eaten isn''t really that weird where i''m from, but probably weird to others.

cracklin
boudin
fried frog legs [i don''t eat really this, but i''ve tried it]
fried alligator [ditto to above]

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We eat a lot of raw anise. Even the dogs love it. I love steamed artichokes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and mashed roasted garlic on it. I love sliced roasted garlic on an awful lot of things. I love the smell in the house when I roast a few heads. My husband winces..... I like over cooked broccoli rabe. My husband winces at that too because it''s so bitter. Steamed chestnuts are a nice treat. Any veggie grilled.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 2:29:01 PM
Author: gemgirl
We eat a lot of raw anise. Even the dogs love it. I love steamed artichokes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and mashed roasted garlic on it. I love sliced roasted garlic on an awful lot of things. I love the smell in the house when I roast a few heads. My husband winces..... I like over cooked broccoli rabe. My husband winces at that too because it''s so bitter. Steamed chestnuts are a nice treat. Any veggie grilled.
Love that w/ garlic and spaghetti...yum!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shaved ice - plain. No flavoring. I do love sno cones, but I always ask for them to leave half plain. I always ate snow growing up, and this is an extension of that.

The rest of my food loves are not really weird... but the way I form meals is, apparently (according to my husband). Last night for dinner I had yogurt, broccoli and blackberries. A very typical lunch for me is whole wheat pasta (nothing on it, plain), steamed spinach and a light babybel cheese. Not mixed together, just separate snacks.

One of my favorite snacks is just a plain slice of double fiber bread. My husband says it tastes like cardboard, and a common reaction is "don't you even want to put peanut butter on it - or something?"
3.gif

So I guess I could sum up my food weirdness by saying that I like what I like, and I like it plain and separately. If left to my own devices I wouldn't create "dishes," I would just eat "things." If that makes sense!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:31:30 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Well first off, I'll eat anything. Not joking.
Freke, would you eat natto? Please say no.

It's my husband's grandmother's favorite food
sick.gif

It tastes like death and the goo sticks to every surface of your mouth. We had to make a special trip back to our hotel last time we visited JUST so we could brush our teeth after she forced us to "just try it!"

peng005.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 10:24:59 AM
Author:Clairitek
Are there any food items that you enjoy way more than most that are a little unconventional?

For me its goat cheese and the frothy milk left over after making my morning latte. I steam more milk than I need just so I can whip out a spoon and eat the rest of the froth like its whipped cream. Yummy.

Goat cheese I could eat three meals a day, seven days a week. I just can''t seem to get enough of it! Thank goodness Trader Joes sells it for so cheap! $4.50 for 11 oz!! My favorite way to consume it is on Ryvita crackers.
I like the ones with all the seeds on best, I think they are called multigrain?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 10:54:32 AM
Author: Clairitek

Date: 2/19/2009 10:37:57 AM
Author: Lorelei
Tinned processed peas.

Wow. Thats certainly unusual!

Do you eat them straight out of the can?
Oh yes, I love them cold or hot - YUM!!!

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, and I''m also a foie gras addict. I could eat it with every single meal. The "ban" in Chicago was totally annoying while it lasted.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 1:32:06 PM

Date: 2/19/2009 1:24:46 PM
Author: April20

6.gif

Have you tried pepper jelly on cream cheese or goat cheese? It''s fantastic! Sweet but tangy...

Yep. It is soooo yummy. I have to step. away.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results