shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of pearl for newbie ?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hi fellow pearl lovers. I too have been going down the pearl rabbit hole and have decided to invest in a nice pair of studs (followed by a bracelet). The problem is, that being a newbie, I do not know what type of pearl to get. Could you please help guide me given the criteria below
1) I seem to be drawn to purple/lavender/pink/gold type hues first followed by blue/grey
2) I seem to dislike anything with green in it (seems to be the reason most Tahitian ones don’t appeal to me )
3)do not want anything pure white
4) smaller size 6.5-8 mm at most
5) budget around 600$ or so usd
So, what type of pearl should I focus my search on ? Thank you for your continued help

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything purple/lavender/pink will be freshwater pearls. You can easily find nice FWP with natural colors in your preferred size and price range.

Blue or gold colored pearls in that size range will generally be dyed FWP or dyed akoyas, although there are some naturally yellowish and bluish akoyas (Vietnamese for example). I have a pair of 7.5mm gold SSP studs but they are uncommon. Golden SSP are usually larger.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
How excitting !!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
Looking forward to seeing what you get

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would suggest lavender cultured freshwater pearls (CFWP), and would love to have a strand of 9-10mm Freshadamas from PP one day.

Bear in mind that lavender can be blue or peach in tone, so find a shade that suit your skin tone.

I am Chinese and peachy colours do not suit me - I would need blue lavenders.

Also consider natural blue Akoyas as they can be very beautiful.

Tahitians come in many colours, and I would love to have a strand of blues one day.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mind went to FW first too, same as @pearlsngems. But @dk168 ’s suggestion of akoya is worth exploring too! Akoya can come in a surprising variety of colours - this is @GeliL ‘s bracelet from Takahashi :love: It looks like she didn’t start a thread for it but she shared some photos here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-in-the-ps-family.270669/page-2#post-5085267

I think since you’re looking for smaller pearls both studs and bracelet could be doable with akoya in budget? Or at least close to? You’d have to inquire though. It’s been a while since I asked after smaller akoya so I don’t know I’m afraid. I generally prefer akoya to FW because the nicer akoya have inimitable luster… But I have to say that the Chinese FW of recent years have been phenomenal. FW would definitely be doable and with money to spare.

Attachments

• D2C9A0C4-6590-4E48-A5E6-D9D8A8B1642C.jpeg
    D2C9A0C4-6590-4E48-A5E6-D9D8A8B1642C.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 46
  • EED63885-671C-4B7D-9E64-C74D5805F62F.jpeg
    EED63885-671C-4B7D-9E64-C74D5805F62F.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 40F06670-3042-4ABD-BE65-C18ACE9E0B1A.jpeg
    40F06670-3042-4ABD-BE65-C18ACE9E0B1A.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DE9A50FC-6E23-4FFE-9027-A4D096521CC0.jpeg
    DE9A50FC-6E23-4FFE-9027-A4D096521CC0.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 42

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
My mind went to FW first too, same as @pearlsngems. But @dk168 ’s suggestion of akoya is worth exploring too! Akoya can come in a surprising variety of colours - this is @GeliL ‘s bracelet from Takahashi :love: It looks like she didn’t start a thread for it but she shared some photos here:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...y-in-the-ps-family.270669/page-2#post-5085267

I think since you’re looking for smaller pearls both studs and bracelet could be doable with akoya in budget? Or at least close to? You’d have to inquire though. It’s been a while since I asked after smaller akoya so I don’t know I’m afraid. I generally prefer akoya to FW because the nicer akoya have inimitable luster… But I have to say that the Chinese FW of recent years have been phenomenal. FW would definitely be doable and with money to spare.

Wow, that is a beautiful bracelet. I was not aware that they can come in golden hues <love>. Ok I’m deep into the pearl love, I’m like a dog with a bone now. Went to a place that carries mikimoto and saw some of their pearls and could tell the difference between A and AA (they did not have any AAA). So now I know that I need to invest in higher quality.
I know what I will have made (and your gss bubble bracelet served as initial inspiration). I contacted 2 vendors for quotes on the non pearl parts and waiting to hear back. I also narrowed the pearls to 3 different ones as per below. I would love some feedback on which one is best given a 1-3 k budget for enough pears for a bracelet + small studs. All pearls 6-8 mm (prefer smaller pearls on me )
1)golden Akoyas
2) gss
3) aubergine/cherry hued Tahitians
I wear my jewelry rough, won’t stack and want them to look nice next to 22k yellow gold. HELP!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is a beautiful bracelet. I was not aware that they can come in golden hues <love>. Ok I’m deep into the pearl love, I’m like a dog with a bone now. Went to a place that carries mikimoto and saw some of their pearls and could tell the difference between A and AA (they did not have any AAA). So now I know that I need to invest in higher quality.
I know what I will have made (and your gss bubble bracelet served as initial inspiration). I contacted 2 vendors for quotes on the non pearl parts and waiting to hear back. I also narrowed the pearls to 3 different ones as per below. I would love some feedback on which one is best given a 1-3 k budget for enough pears for a bracelet + small studs. All pearls 6-8 mm (prefer smaller pearls on me )
1)golden Akoyas
2) gss
3) aubergine/cherry hued Tahitians
I wear my jewelry rough, won’t stack and want them to look nice next to 22k yellow gold. HELP!

This is what I have in mind. Alternating between pearls and 22k balls. Thinking either same size or bubble style like your bracelet.

Attachments

• F9206201-BF0B-48B8-9BCD-E4C65002DACB.jpeg
    F9206201-BF0B-48B8-9BCD-E4C65002DACB.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 135
  • 7E07F976-A86B-4373-837A-8CA0AACBEC85.jpeg
    7E07F976-A86B-4373-837A-8CA0AACBEC85.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 178

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1-3k is a generous budget for some nice pearls. So... Some thoughts... There are a few different things to consider and prioritize... Assuming you want rounds?

(A) Colour: Deep gold vs. pale gold/yellow? Deep golds are available only in SS - akoya don't get that deep and richly saturated.

(B) How important is sharp "metallic" luster to you? Nice akoya have a metallic glow that no SS or Tahitians can match. Nice Tahitians and nice akoya have a sharpness of reflection that SS cannot match in-budget. Nice GSS and Tahitians have a smoothness of skin that akoya have trouble matching.

(C) How important is your size preference (6-8mm)? For different types of pearls, you're going to have the best odds of finding nice specimens at reasonable prices within the most common size range for that type of pearl. For akoya 6-8mm is smack dab in the middle of that common size range. You can get GSS and Tahitians <9mm but all other quality considerations and preferences will be at the mercy of availability.

(D) How important is excellent colour matching (both body colour and overtone) to you? It should be feasible to match akoya well across a strand/between pairs. Depending on exactly how particular you are, GSS might be doable or beastly... Tahitians wil be flat out impossible. But with Tahitians you've got an easy "out" - just save your sanity and lean into the multicolour like your inspiration's got.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
1-3k is a generous budget for some nice pearls. So... Some thoughts... There are a few different things to consider and prioritize... Assuming you want rounds?

(A) Colour: Deep gold vs. pale gold/yellow? Deep golds are available only in SS - akoya don't get that deep and richly saturated.

(B) How important is sharp "metallic" luster to you? Nice akoya have a metallic glow that no SS or Tahitians can match. Nice Tahitians and nice akoya have a sharpness of reflection that SS cannot match in-budget. Nice GSS and Tahitians have a smoothness of skin that akoya have trouble matching.

(C) How important is your size preference (6-8mm)? For different types of pearls, you're going to have the best odds of finding nice specimens at reasonable prices within the most common size range for that type of pearl. For akoya 6-8mm is smack dab in the middle of that common size range. You can get GSS and Tahitians <9mm but all other quality considerations and preferences will be at the mercy of availability.

(D) How important is excellent colour matching (both body colour and overtone) to you? It should be feasible to match akoya well across a strand/between pairs. Depending on exactly how particular you are, GSS might be doable or beastly... Tahitians wil be flat out impossible. But with Tahitians you've got an easy "out" - just save your sanity and lean into the multicolour like your inspiration's got.

I think I eliminated SS based on some of your questions and information above. So that leaves akoya and Tahitian. I’m getting closer :)
B) metallic is not important to me. But I do like some luster to it
C) I really want to stay under the 9mm - would it be too difficult to find these in Tahitians ?
D) if I go with akoya , I would want them to be well matched. But with Tahitians, the matching is not so important because I do like the multicolor look in the inspiration example

One of the vendors already made a sample bead (attached ), so this project is moving fast.
C6771E1A-58D3-4969-9106-2BB91E6FB25F.png
I used my meager photoshop skills to created a mock of what the bracelet would look with pale yellow akoya as well as Tahitian.
F5AD5CBC-C59F-4650-9C50-B3A8789FD4DC.png
I like the look of both but leaning more towards Tahitians just based on these poorly photoshopped pics

Attachments

• AA7F33CE-7DDB-42AB-9C36-8EF9EA325CBD.jpeg
    AA7F33CE-7DDB-42AB-9C36-8EF9EA325CBD.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 269
  • FF4B3C44-A748-4799-A5E0-B348E317CBD0.jpeg
    FF4B3C44-A748-4799-A5E0-B348E317CBD0.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 260
  • A8C20C36-5D14-495A-92A1-CC7FAB6EB4D0.jpeg
    A8C20C36-5D14-495A-92A1-CC7FAB6EB4D0.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 271

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I eliminated SS based on some of your questions and information above. So that leaves akoya and Tahitian. I’m getting closer :)
C) I really want to stay under the 9mm - would it be too difficult to find these in Tahitians ?
D) if I go with akoya , I would want them to be well matched. But with Tahitians, the matching is not so important because I do like the multicolor look in the inspiration example

One of the vendors already made a sample bead (attached ), so this project is moving fast.
I used my meager photoshop skills to created a mock of what the bracelet would look with pale yellow akoya as well as Tahitian.
I like the look of both but leaning more towards Tahitians just based on these poorly photoshopped pics

The contrast is striking beautuful

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like the Tahitians better too. The 22k gold bead has such a bright and strong colour, Tahitians can hold their own but the akoya kind of pale in comparison.

If you're open to multicolour I think it becomes a lot more doable! I got my dream Tahitians from Andrew Moline. His stuff is generally on the pricey side, though, and my Pearl Paradise Tahitian multicolour got 80% of the way there at 20% of the cost. And there are a ton of other vendor options now than there were when I was looking, too (I mean - those vendors might have been there, we as a PS collective just didn't know about them yet)... Not sure how many of those offer a return option. If you're based in the US personally I'd suggest starting with Pearl Paradise and going from there.

What size have you settled on for the gold beads?

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Completly off topic
but ohhhhhh
I see a pinky ring
i always love seeing a pinky ring :kiss2:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I definitely like the Tahitian better. The strong gold will wash out the very pale gold of the Akoya. Also Multi colour Tahitian makes life easier ... matching isn't an issue.

The size is not uncommon... most strands are 8-10mm . The majority of the strand will probably be 8-9m. You can ask for a count of the number of pearls in each size range.

Your price range will suit the smaller Tahitian in the AAA range. I'd suggest you just wait for the next sale. They almost always have a sale on !

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I like the Tahitians better too. The 22k gold bead has such a bright and strong colour, Tahitians can hold their own but the akoya kind of pale in comparison.

If you're open to multicolour I think it becomes a lot more doable! I got my dream Tahitians from Andrew Moline. His stuff is generally on the pricey side, though, and my Pearl Paradise Tahitian multicolour got 80% of the way there at 20% of the cost. And there are a ton of other vendor options now than there were when I was looking, too (I mean - those vendors might have been there, we as a PS collective just didn't know about them yet)... Not sure how many of those offer a return option. If you're based in the US personally I'd suggest starting with Pearl Paradise and going from there.

What size have you settled on for the gold beads?

Thank you for the reply. So it’s decided - Tahitians and will start with PP. I had asked for 6 mm gold beads when requesting the quotes. But I think I will increase to 8 or 9 mm since Tahitians seem to be on the larger size. I’m guessing it should be easy to find quality Tahitians at this size ? Or better to go up in size ? Also, should I buy a bracelet from PP for the pearls or best to contact them to buy loose ?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I definitely like the Tahitian better. The strong gold will wash out the very pale gold of the Akoya. Also Multi colour Tahitian makes life easier ... matching isn't an issue.

The size is not uncommon... most strands are 8-10mm . The majority of the strand will probably be 8-9m. You can ask for a count of the number of pearls in each size range.

Your price range will suit the smaller Tahitian in the AAA range. I'd suggest you just wait for the next sale. They almost always have a sale on !

I’m guessing the next sale will be Black Friday ? Or they occur more frequently?
It seems I will be going with multi color Tahitian for all the reasons you mentioned:)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I feel like I get an email about every 3 weeks about a sale, sometimes just a particular type of pearl and sometimes it's off the whole site.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, there do seen to be a lot more site-wide sales generally now.

It used to be that the month-long special sales (Tahitian-only, SSP-only etc.) would be held after the online vendors had a chance to stock up at the Honk Kong trade shows, but those shows were canceled for a while due to the pandemic.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The problem is not so much that shows are cancelled, but that Hong Kong especially has a policy of quarantine even now. It used to be three weeks compulsory hotel isolation and only then if you were vital to HK commerce, but now it is reduced to one, with some monitoring even after that.
Buyers - and sellers - simply aren't travelling.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The problem is not so much that shows are cancelled, but that Hong Kong especially has a policy of quarantine even now. It used to be three weeks compulsory hotel isolation and only then if you were vital to HK commerce, but now it is reduced to one, with some monitoring even after that.
Buyers - and sellers - simply aren't travelling.

I dpnt blame them
i go to work and come straights home again

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m guessing the next sale will be Black Friday ? Or they occur more frequently?
It seems I will be going with multi color Tahitian for all the reasons you mentioned:)

Also, should I buy a bracelet from PP for the pearls or best to contact them to buy loose ?

I would call or chat in and explain your project and your size preference and see what they recommend ::) They can check inventory and tell you what you’ll have most options with. Personally I like to choose my own pearls so I opt for loose whenever possible, but buying a prematched strand will of course be cheaper. You can also ask when their next sale will be, I’ve always found them to be very honest and forthcoming!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I get an email about every 3 weeks about a sale, sometimes just a particular type of pearl and sometimes it's off the whole site.

I will sign up for their newsletter so I can be notified. Thank you :)

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I would call or chat in and explain your project and your size preference and see what they recommend ::) They can check inventory and tell you what you’ll have most options with. Personally I like to choose my own pearls so I opt for loose whenever possible, but buying a prematched strand will of course be cheaper. You can also ask when their next sale will be, I’ve always found them to be very honest and forthcoming!

Thank you. I will do just as you suggested:)
In the meanwhile I’m still waiting for vendor quotes and trying to find similar pieces premade for inspiration:)
Being on PS is not helping because I keep adding to my wishlist or wondering if I should use my bling fund for other things instead!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. Still trying to figure out the bead and pearl size. The vendor just made some sample beads (attached). They are 13mm, 10 and 9. I’m leaning towards the 10 but worried they may be too big/heavy on my petite 5.3. 9493767B-43F6-4C81-BC34-B944DC156A22.jpeg

Attachments

• 6DE6AFDF-4BCC-4D34-A75E-1A366278BFE7.jpeg
    6DE6AFDF-4BCC-4D34-A75E-1A366278BFE7.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 319

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait have you decided what size you want your pearls to be?

Would you be up for differently sized gold beads? Such a mod look!

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Wait have you decided what size you want your pearls to be?

Would you be up for differently sized gold beads? Such a mod look!

I think I want the pearls to be the same size as the gold beads for a more uniform look. So either 9 mm or 10 mm for both pearls and beads. But at 10mm the vendor is estimating the total necklace weight to be between 80-100 grams for 16 inches. Decisions decisions. I found a readymade similar necklace (but not quality pearls or high carat gold) and I really like the look of it. But not sure if my neck can hold that much weight

Attachments

• 677219BD-F176-4F16-81CC-7AB658277B0D.png
    677219BD-F176-4F16-81CC-7AB658277B0D.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 322

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pearls will add some weight too. If you'd like a uniform look then maybe choose your pearls first? And then you can pick your bead size according to whatever pearl diameter you settle on? Sounds like it's the pearls that are the blockers here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results