shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of gifts do you like to receive?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Since the holidays are soon upon us, I was wondering what types of gifts you like to receive? I'll start:

I love scarves and socks, can never have enough
I also love bath and body works stuff, like scented candles, lotions....
Lastly, I love kitchen gadgets. Even though I'm an avid cook, I don't have a lot of kitchen tools, so I love receiving kitchen stuff.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like gift cards to the places I frequently shop or eat at. That way, we can purchase what we want/need down the line. I never NEED anything around the holidays, but my in-laws insist on gift giving :lol:

My DH has a stack of shirts and sweaters from birthdays and holidays past with tags and sometimes gift receipts stuck in them! He has to wear collared shirts, so I actually replace his shirts as they get worn out, b/c I am not patient and can't wait till the holidays in hopes that someone gifts him shirts lololol.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1480617481|4104088 said:
Since the holidays are soon upon us, I was wondering what types of gifts you like to receive?
I provide an explicit list. I want nothing that is not specifically on my list. Normally my list consists of gift cards to stores I frequent, or towards something I am working towards buying. This year, I am asking for money towards the apple watch(es, long story) I just ordered, and my new Mac for next year. Otherwise, my usual gift card suspects.

We only do exchanges within my husband's family, and they're not much. We do spend a bit more, but don't give many things. My family adopts another needy family and dotes on them. I am quite thrilled that the family we got this year consists of two teen girls who wanted "girly things like makeup type items" and I am having a FIELD.DAY. Ulta is shipping me packages galore for these girls. lol

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also only give specific lists. It's not because I'm picky. It's mostly because I'm practical and don't want anyone to waste money on me. So if I provide a list, I can sort of control how much is spent, and I know I'll enjoy the items on it as I don't usually buy things for myself beyond the very basics. :cheeky:

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I like experiences. Before we had kids, DH and i would gift trips to one another. We've started doing that again now that the kids are a little older--now we can do family trips. But it doesn't have to be a trip. For instance, last year DH got me ballroom dancing lessons and we've been doing that every Friday night for a year. We learn something, we have a great time, we like the other couples--it's fun. This year I'm getting him violin lessons because he wants to pick the violin back up.

For smaller gifts, I'm always a fan of anything for our house.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing, honestly.
We have too much stuff cluttering every room and the garage, and we need nothing.

I strongly dislike the whole gift exchange thing.
I do the absolute minimum, even then, only to my SO's family.

I give to others I care about in other ways randomly, (not on gift-giving holidays) throughout the year, like baking them bread.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MONEY :$$): :$$): :$$): :$$): Give me cash I'm happier that way...lol

FWIW, I don't exchange gifts with most of my family (ie. siblings) they have enough kids without adding me to the plate.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Give me the gift of time.

Come for a walk and a cup of coffee with me.

Why do I need you to buy me stuff?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Nothing, honestly.
We have too much stuff cluttering every room and the garage, and we need nothing.

I give to others I care about in other ways randomly, (not on gift-giving holidays) throughout the year, like baking them bread.

This!

Cash, Amazon gift cards, Peet's Coffee gift cards, or nothing is fine. I have too much stuff, and I don't want to find places to store stuff I don't use. I would rather take a tin of homemade cookies, chocolate chip banana bread, ;-) or other yummies. Oh wait. Movie tix are great. I would definitely use those.

If I really want something, and know my husband or kids want to get me something, I will tell them specifically what I want.

I'm fine with no gifts from people other than my immediate family, mom, dad, husband, kids. Now that I think of it, I do have a very good friend who always seems to buy me the perfect thing. Like she gets me Mighty Leaf Tea.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't there an STD dubbed "the gift that keeps on giving"? I don't remember which STD it is, but anywhos I don't want THAT gift! :errrr:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I rarely get presents, except from my husband, unless cash or gift cards. Don't get me wrong, I love giftcards and cash, and appreciate them very much. But it's just fun to have the tactile experience of actually opening gifts and since I rarely get them, I think it is more fun. So this is a list of "tactile" things I like.

1. PJ's. Love them. Can never have enough.
2. Funny things. Nerdy things. I like cats (shocker) and one of my friends got me a little sign that says, "You had me at meow." And I love that thing. She also got me a book of cat poems called, "I Could Pee on This, Too" which cracked me up because she knows one of my cats has a marking issue (that is largely controlled by his medication). I like funny and geeky T-shirts but never buy them for myself, that kind of thing.
3. Fruit, cheese and antipasto gifts that come to my door in food form. So Edible Arrangements, and Harry and David pears, and antipasto anything from places like these: https://www.delallo.com/gifts/ or https://www.tienda.com/gifts/samplers.html or cheeses: http://www.costco.com/cheese.html
4. Statement Earrings (not fine jewelry, costume)

Other things that show that someone knows me. One of my friends got me bedding last year-- specifically she got me shams to match my duvet. Love those things. They make me smile whenever I see them.

I generally like thoughtful gifts over expensive ones. Expensive ones make me feel weird.

Q

Queenie60

I don't expect much since I usually get what I need/want throughout the year. All I really want is to spend quality time breaking bread with close friends and family. It's always nice to receive my favorite perfume, a nice cashmere scarf or even something as simple as a nice candle. For me the Holiday's are more about giving to others and enjoying good food and family.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends from whom am I receiving these gifts. (Excuse the poor grammar as I am sure that is one messed up sentence :lol: ::) ).

From my dh I want BLING. :love: Of my specific choosing. :appl:

From my family cash works. :bigsmile:

And from my friends all I want is their love and friendship and caring and support and that works both ways always. That is truly all I want. True friendship and love is priceless and no gifts can take the place of that.

Truthfully that is all I really want from any of my loved ones and if my family didn't exchange gifts that would be A-OK with me too. But it is a big deal with my family so we do exchange gifts a few times a year. But for the most part we don't exchange gifts with most of my friends.

We do bake cookies during the holidays but I only share that with the NIRDIs and none of my other friends... :shhh: :shhh: :shhh:
As it is it takes a full day to bake all the cookies and then package them and ship them takes considerable time too so we really don't have the time and energy to bake for more people though I wish we could as we have a lot of wonderful people on our lives.

And while I am in this thread I just want to say thank you to all PSers who are reading and sharing and posting and generously giving of their time and energy and kindness. You have made all our lives a bit sweeter with your company and love and hugs to all of you and a big thank you. :wavey:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1480625245|4104119 said:
Nothing, honestly.

The same with Kenny although I can't bake nor cook anything well.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm with missy - it depends on who from.
From DH: shoes! (of my choosing) ;-)
From family: nothing is fine with me. Some family is adamant about gift-giving and in those cases, I'd prefer gift cards, but I don't often get them.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super practical for the most part, although I did buy myself a sapphire eternity ring for Christmas. When DH asked me what I wanted for Christmas I told him a hot styling brush and an electric blanket. I just can't think of anything else I need. My SIL who is over ten years younger than me, bought me a bunch of cute underwear from Victoria's Secret a few years ago when I had lost a lot of weight, that was kind of interesting but better than my MIL buying them!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't need anything and, like Kenny and some others, I want to declutter and get rid of stuff!
Who the heck put all those things down in my basement?!?!
I don't even know what some of them are, for goodness sakes!

So, please, no more stuff. :angel:

And don't give me gift cards.
For some inexplicable reason, I don't use gift cards. Weird, I know.

But I love and keep cards; birthday cards and Christmas cards from the man in my life and my children mean so much to me.
When sending a card, I read a bunch looking for the one with the right photo/design and message.
Speaking of cards, last Christmas my SO and I gave each other the same card. He was shocked and couldn't get over the fact that we both picked the same card. I thought it was funny, and yes surprising given how many cards are out there, but the message captures how we feel about each other.

So please give me a card.
And a photo of my wonderful children.
And homemade shortbread cookies or any other goodie you've made.

The material things I want are too expensive to be gifts from others.
Those things are on a 'Maybe Someday' List; they include a crazy expensive camera lens and diamonds (thanks PS).

Over the years, my siblings and I cut-down and then cut-out gift exchanging.
Buying a gift, just for the sake of giving a gift, got silly. We're adults and have what we need.
We tried the 'give to a charity' instead of giving a gift, but that fizzled out, too.
We each just donate to the charities of our choice throughout the year.

What I'm really hoping for this Christmas is that my daughter and son-in-law can find a trusted cat sitter for their three cats so that they can come home for Christmas. I miss them.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1480695582|4104338 said:
Dancing Fire|1480661328|4104239 said:
jaysonsmom|1480617481|4104088 said:
Since the holidays are soon upon us, I was wondering what types of gifts you like to receive?
Welllll since you ask. I'll be expecting this watch from you for Christmas. .. :love: Thank you my love!

http://www.luxurybazaar.com/items/itemid_23240_Lange_1_Tourbillon_Perpetual_Calendar_720025.html

Wow, DF!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Guess you must be on Santa's VERY Good List! :lol:
Hey why not???...since J's mom did offer to buy me a gift... :dance:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like gifts that come with no strings attached!!!

I like Amazon e-cards and gift cards. I like actual gifts chosen for me too :D because almost all of my friends have better taste than I do, are better with color, etc.

If its from my DH, my favorite gift is jewelry 8-)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you even need to ask :lol:
Jewelry. Never ever anything else other than jewelry.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really need or want anything, having my own home since 1989 allows me to accumulate what I needed and wanted through the years.

DK :))

ryanfmccarron

Rough_Rock
Since the holidays are soon upon us, I was wondering what types of gifts you like to receive? I'll start:

I love scarves and socks, can never have enough
I also love bath and body works stuff, like scented candles, lotions....
Lastly, I love kitchen gadgets. Even though I'm an avid cook, I don't have a lot of kitchen tools, so I love receiving kitchen stuff.

my post isn't in relation to this topic, but i was on the internet and was brought to your page about a post you made back in 2004. it was about people getting married and how early is too early or it just about being th right time. i was wondering if you could give me your input on my relationship a little bit?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laisee money (red packets) aka cold hard cash! Hey, it's part of my culture :lol-2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I know this is a semi zombie thread...but a bit of a twist...my family loves to receive.....WAIT FOR IT...my homemade Christmas Cake! :lickout: No kidding (you asked)!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give me the gift of time.

Come for a walk and a cup of coffee with me.

Why do I need you to buy me stuff?

As I age I think that is one of the most sensible things!!!! And O.K I admit I like gift cards to book shops and huge shopping malls where I can buy anything I like as well.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kitchen gadgets, and handmade or unique costume jewelry. In all seriousness, my friends and I are at a stage where our wants are few so in recent years I usually just make donations in their names to causes they are close to.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Holiday Greetings are nice gifts .-) Caroling is a great custom !

Else,
'Go get what you like' - if anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results