shape
carat
color
clarity

What to say when I ask Parent''s permission?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

J S Machine

Rough_Rock
I have read a lot of threads on whether or not to ask for permission, but none where anyone really discusses what is supposed to be said. I have no problem going up and striking a conversation with my GF''s father, but It never really goes beyond college football, lol.

I am not afraid to ask, but he is the type that likes to pull people''s leg. In other words he will intentionally or sarcastically mess with someone just to make him think he''s serious when he''s really not. I respect this and think it is cool that the guy has a sense of humor, but it can lead to some very awkward moments when I don''t know if he is serious or not
9.gif
. I am the same way, but I just don''t have the wisdom he has to "pick back" when he picks with me. I can''t "hang with him" if you know what I mean
9.gif

I know that if I was in his position, and I probably will be one day, I am going to mess with my "soon to be son in law" so bad he''s gonna want to run the other direction lol. If I have a daughter, Just wait until she''s in high school and a guy follows her home from school one day....
9.gif

I was just wondering if there are any guys out there that have had a weird conversation when asking permission, or if there are any girls that know what was said when their BF''s talked with their fathers. I would imagine that the conversation would be kind of personal, you know kind of meant to be kept between father and son and law type of thing, but I don''t know. What have you all experienced in this situation?

Thanks yall

purduephotog

Rough_Rock
Don''t worry. The shock of the asking will usually freeze even the most prepared individual. My FIL couldn''t get a word out for about 15 seconds, so he just gave me a big hug... and then said he had to call his wife and get her home.

In my case there was a running joke about the last suitor that pursued one of his daughters- and that I needed to bring a NY Times news paper to keep him in the house. I showed up with the paper in hand- he took it and tossed it on the stairways with a confused look on his face. When the obvious hint didn''t work and he asked why I was here in the middle of the day... I just said "Well, Mr. X, I''m here to ask your permission to marry your daughter."

Simple, direct, and some of the hardest words to utter.

You''ll do fine. Don''t eat beforehand though if you''re the nervous type ;-)

SPOT

Rough_Rock
Unless you have only just met the girl, I assume: "I would like to marry your daughter" would suffice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results