shape
carat
color
clarity

What to say when friends/relatives ask how much?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovebling

Rough_Rock
Have you ever been asked how much your rings cost? Without telling people the actual cost, what would/do you say?

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know what I am going to say either. I get my ring tomorrow and I know in-laws will be nosy enough to ask. I hope someone gives us some good ideas!
2.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I would say, "It is priceless to me."
21.gif

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Thats a hard one. I get tired of people asking about my H2 hummer how much did that cost and whats your gas mileage !!!

Depending what mood your in I guess :)

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
I think the only person who's ever asked was my mom. I gave her the ballpark. For anyone else, I really woudn't tell them unless they were shopping for a ring and wanted to know if they're getting a good price. And even then, they don't need to know the exact cost. You can always tell them you don't know b/c your fiance won't tell you (even if it's not true).

Sashabella

Rough_Rock
I just say that we were very lucky and did our homework and got it significantly under value.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, a Dear Abby moment. How about ...

1.) It''s not how much it costs, it''s how much it means to me/us.
2.) How much do you weigh?
3.) "My grandmother always told me if someone was rude enough to ask such a question, they deserve to get lied to."
4.) Why do you want to know? If you''re interested in upgrading yours I can point you in the direction of a terrific diamond bulletin board. What''s yours, about a .15ct L/M I2 ?
5.) We put it on Mastercard, doesn''t that make it priceless?
6.) I don''t like to talk about the cost. It reduces the beautiful gesture of love from dh to dollars and cents.
7.) I don''t like to discuss the cost, it makes other people feel badly who don''t have a diamond/husband/life as nice as mine.

Give me a while and I''ll think of some more.

Cheers,
LizzyD

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I honestly don''t have a good answer to this. My SIL asked me once and I started rambling about the setting and random crap until I had dodged the question long enough to warrant it not being asked again.

I think the next time she (or anyone else) asks how much the ring is, I will say, "I''ll tell you after you tell me how much money you make." I''m still looking for the perfect answer.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 5:39:52 PM
Author:ilovebling
Have you ever been asked how much your rings cost? Without telling people the actual cost, what would/do you say?

I have been asked. I've wanted to say "none of your business", but since I'm inherently a polite person by nature, I don't.

My best advice is to look them straight in the eye and ask THEM "Why do you want to know?". That usually puts an end to the interrogation...lol.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 6
6.gif
1:35 PM
Author: lizzyd

2.) How much do you weigh?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I get around this by saying ''I don''t know'' (because I really don''t) but even if you do, it works too.... like elepri says. I kinda like the other suggestions though... but I feel bad being as obnoxious as they are by saying something sarcastic back! hehe.
9.gif
9.gif
I guess they deserve it though.

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I made the mistake of telling my mom. Don''t tell anyone..try to dodge the question! I like "how much do you weigh?" I mean it has the same rudeness factor.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my response would be along the lines of:

"well, since we''ve gotten to know each other so well that we can ask these kinds of questions, i''ll tell you: we spent exactly what we wanted to on this gorgeous ring. now its my turn to ask a question: how much do you weigh?"

i do like some of the other options in that perhaps just saying "i''ll put you in touch with my vendor and s/he can help you find what you''re looking for". if they answer that no, they just were curious, i''d probably tell them i''m curious about lots of things to and let it drop. but if they ever change their mind, i''d be glad to put them in contact with my vendor.

so, some of it would depend on my mood and some on who the person was.

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
3.) "My grandmother always told me if someone was rude enough to ask such a question, they deserve to get lied to."

Your Grandma was a smart lady!

People ask me all the time and I always assume it''s because they hope to get one and are trying to see if they can afford it. Internet searching for pricing wouldn''t occur to these people. If I know them very, very well I tell them. From now on when anyone else asks I''ll lie. Hehehe...
9.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I tell the truth. Hey, I got great deals on my jewelry, and i''m not ashamed to brag about my research/negotiation skills! Besides, my family & friends usually ask because they want to buy for themselves, and my friends and I all know each other''s salaries... so it doesn''t really matter. We''re all close!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
25 cents out of a gumball machine :}

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
You can say, "As much as JLo''s!!!" and smile like Mona Lisa.
2.gif

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
The best way is probably to suggest it is valuable (you didn't buy junk), but that you got a good deal (you didn't throw your moeny away). Anything else is lose-lose. If you paid more than X, people who would ask will react badly to that situation. If you paid less than X, people who would ask will turn up their noses or form other disparaging opinions. Maybe X is what they paid, maybe it's something else. Maybe they will resent you for having that much to spend or for being too cheap. Maybe they will be assume your stone isn't very good becasue it's half the price they paid when it's really a world better than theirs.

If you weren't there for the purchase, say "I don't really know, but I think he was able to get a good deal on it. It's a really beautiful stone."

If you were the purchaser, maybe say you got a good deal, but if asked again directly, just say you don't want to tell people the answer, you got a good deal and you are really happy with the diamond. Nobody knows if "got a good deal" means best price on something normal or a good price on something more expensive or what.

Similarly, you have to be careful when talking about the fact that you bought an ideal cut or H&A or whatever. If people you talk to didn't get that quality of a stone, you end up knocking thier diamond. Somebody feels bad in the end.

Anybody who really wanted to know could ask what grade and size it is, and back that out enough to get close on what it's worth.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Even though I was present when he bought it and I did see the tag on the ring I just tell people that I wasn''t there and that I have no idea what he paid for it and that to me it''s worth more than anything on the planet.
face23.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

"Nothing. It''s stolen."

cheers--Sharon

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Ill go with that how much do you weigh? comment. That there...the best.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe Patty will chime in here (I think this was her!!), but here''s her response to the only person who asked this question. She looked them straight in the eye and said "What a rude, rude question....."

You could also tell the rude questioner that it was a gift and you don''t want to know, but I like the "How much do you weigh?" answer much better!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
I thought of another one:

"I don''t know. I didn''t want to ask my fiance because I was always taught that that was such a rude/crass question."

Cheers,
LizzyD

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
LizzyD,
That''s the best one yet!!!
2.gif

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/9/2005 10
6.gif
3:14 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

''Nothing. It''s stolen.''

cheers--Sharon
LOL...That one''s great!!

Up until now, I always said, "I have no idea; it was a gift, and I have more class than to ask that question." Hopefully, they''ll get the hint. BUTthey probably won''t if they''re socially inept enough to ask a question like that.

I think from now on I''m going to use canuk-gal''s response.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
HAHA! I like storm''s answer. I know someone who always said it came out of a cracker jack box.

My sister has a lovely 2c oval and when rude people ask her, she always says "Oh, it''s just a CZ!" (But it clearly isn''t!) It leaves them scratching their heads.

I have been asked that question, too. Or how about, "OH! IS IT REAL?!"
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif

Knuckleheads. The world is full of knuckleheads. (Hmmmm, maybe I''ll make that my next tag-line when I am tired of Marilyn Monroe''s quote!!!)
2.gif

Lynn

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I am just amazed that anyone would ask that (but I believe it
20.gif
) People have asked me how big mine is but never how much.

That is so rude (unless it's your mom or your sister--maybe your bestest friend in the world since 2nd grade but that's it) I think I'd be struck speechless
6.gif
(and that takes a lot!)
2.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 6
6.gif
1:35 PM
Author: lizzyd

'My grandmother always told me if someone was rude enough to ask such a question, they deserve to get lied to.'

Cheers,

LizzyD

LOL !

1) "Probably more than you paid in federal income tax last year".

2) "Obviously more than you did for yours!"

Seriously though - my finance’ does not know the exact price - so she can just tell them she doesn't know. A few have asked were we got it – in which case she just refers them to the vendors which she does know about.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
When you all thought of the individual asking the question, were you thinking it was from a femaile? Probably so, cos a guy wouldn't care to tell you their weight. But, what if it's a guy who's honestly asking b/c he's thinking of proposing to his g/f and knows nothing about diamonds. Would you tell in this scenario? Dre and I dont mind telling. Mainly b/c we get excited about the topic and yapping about PS, our diamond knowledge, etc... But we have NEVER asked any one about their price . Nott even diamond specs.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2005 6:10:46 PM
Author: JCJD
Maybe Patty will chime in here (I think this was her!!), but here''s her response to the only person who asked this question. She looked them straight in the eye and said ''What a rude, rude question.....''

You could also tell the rude questioner that it was a gift and you don''t want to know, but I like the ''How much do you weigh?'' answer much better!
JCJD, I wasn''t the one who said that but I remember thinking that it was a good response!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results