shape
carat
color
clarity

What to register for (baby shower)?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Which items did you register for that you actually used?
Which items didn''t you register for that you ended up needing?
Brands? Quantities?
Anything that wasn''t necessarily useful, but made you happy to get anyway?
Items that are crucial to have?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 1:46:01 PM
Author:Peepa
Which items did you register for that you actually used?
Which items didn''t you register for that you ended up needing?
Brands? Quantities?
Anything that wasn''t necessarily useful, but made you happy to get anyway?
Items that are crucial to have?
Eeek, this is a lot to answer.

I''d advise registering for some big ticket items that will help your pocketbook. Carseat, monitors, strollers, etc. As well as some smaller ticket items which will be helpful, like cloth diapers (great as burp cloths).

I did not register for much, so I used everything I got. Babies don''t need much to start. You need:

Crib or bassinet
Car seat (and I recommend SnG type systems)
Boobs (or some bottles if you are feeding)
Miracle blanket or other swaddling blanket
Diapers/Wipes/Diaper cream
A few easy to put on shirts
Baby wash

Other good things:
Monitor
Stroller
Swing/Bouncer
Binkies
Glider (I didn''t have one, but would have been nice)
Baby tub

I''m sure I''m missing a few other things, but those were my basics.

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
is it possible to register for gift cards
3.gif
<--big advocate of those..if not diapers all the way lol..everything else i would buy myself bc sometimes u like smthg then change ur mind then returning etc.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
People will give you tons of clothes, so you won''t need to have those on the registry, unless there''s something you want in particular. Also add a crib mattress if you''re getting a crib, since they don''t come with them. Sheets, bedding etc., but most of us didn''t bother with expensive bedding sets, they''ll just spit up all over them anyway! A pump possibly if you plan to BF (don''t open it so that you can take it back if you decide not to use it). I also LOVE my boppy pillow, and have 2 covers for it.

People will also give you things they think you need. This was great when the items came from moms, but childless people sometimes have no idea!

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out the book Baby Bargains? There''s a sample registry near the back.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing I really liked was a cover for the car seat, so if the weather was bad, the baby was covered. It''s hard to keep a blanket over the car seat and run into a store when it''s windy.

I used a lot of the little gowns with elastic on the bottom-they''re so easy for night time diaper changes. And I liked anything that had the built in hand covers on the sleeves-both my kids were terrible about scratching their faces. Long sleeved sleep sacks are nice too.

If you have a friend who has kids, I''d take her with you to help when you register.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
- Crib/Cot - I have the mini Arms Reach Co-Sleeper as I''m lazy and now don''t have to get up at night for the next 4 months, after that I have the Stokke Sleepi cot that you can add bits to to make it a child''s bed. (In the UK crib is what you guys call a bassinet, and cot is what you call a crib...)

- Sheets and blankets for the above - do not forget a waterproof undersheet, if possible one that isn''t plasticy and so doesn''t make noise.

- Mattress and mattress cover.

- Chest-of-drawers and Changing Table - absolute must in my book (my changing table fits on top of the chest of drawers - IKEA range).

- Changing mat - Mela and I both have the Kuster JellyBaby one that is made of memory foam and I have been really impressed by mine.

- Diapers/toiletries/wipes etc

- Baby bath

- Towels: I love the bamboo ones as they''re really soft and wash well. I had 3 and I''ve just bought 3 more last weekl. Hooded towels are great for older babies but a waste of time when they are little - ditto with bath-robes.

- Breast-pump and a couple of bottles even if you are breastfeeding. And hide away a stash of ready-to-pour formula for emergencies!

- Receiving blankets - you can never have too many! I had the pre-shapped swaddling cloths as well, but Daisy was having none of it, so I now have a pile of the things to give to friends.

- Carseat

- Sling/Baby Carrier

- Pram - the important thing here is to consider your lifestyle and select one that is appropriate to your needs. I live in an urban area so needed one that was narrow, lightweight and could be easily used on public transport. Mine (Stokke Xplory) does all of that, but would be a complete PITA for someone who needed a pram that could be got in and out of a car easily or who wasn''t going to use it on a pavement all the time.

If you live in a rainy area, a hands-free umbrella is a godsend - fits onto the pram handlebar and covers YOU!

- Monitor - if you have a large house or go away a lot I could see this being useful. I have one I was given as a gift and haven''t even taken it out of the box.

- Terry nappies - the BEST as spit-up clothes. I hate muslins as it just seems to sit on the surface. The terries are super-absorbent and feel much softer.

- Large box of hankies for you - you will need them in the first weeks!

Things like bouncies chairs, activity mats etc are not much use in the early weeks - Daisy has never liked her chair for more than 5 minutes, but loves the activity playmat we got her on Saturday as she''s now old enough to reach up for the toys and ''do things'' with it. If we''d bought it earlier she would have been a bit too young for it I think.

We don''t have showers over here, but I was given loads of clothes as gifts when she was born. However, everyone assumed that I would have newborn stuff and so gave me 3-6 months, I assumed D. would be large and so bought everything in 0-3 months and had to run out and buy newborn as she had nothing to wear that fitted. So worth getting a couple of onesies and sleepsuits in advance.

Shoes etc are a total waste of time and money, as are any designer outfits as they will just get covered in gloop and will only get worn a few times.

Ebay, hand-me-downs etc will save you a small fortune!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
how many sheets did you guys get for the crib? i figured like 2?
did you get a sheet for the play yard/play pen? i figured like 1?
for play yard i figured that it doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles for the smaller ones up to like 25 lbs right?

what baby bottles do you guys recommend for the 'first try' ones to have at home in the first days? they have those curved playtex(?) ones at target to help reduce air? same with paci's?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 6:47:47 PM
Author: Mara
for play yard i figured that it doesn''t have to have a lot of bells and whistles for the smaller ones up to like 25 lbs right?

what baby bottles do you guys recommend for the ''first try'' ones to have at home in the first days? they have those curved playtex(?) ones at target to help reduce air? same with paci''s?

These threads remind me of how little I recall of my babies! If I had another, I''d have to ask all these questions again.

Mara - remember I mentioned the leaky diapers. Where do the diapers leak? Either on you or on the baby''s sheet! lol Be sure to get a mattress cover and lots of fitted sheets. Say, about four of them. I never covered my babies up when they slept. . .instead, I insulated them in many layers of clothing. I was afraid the blankets would get tangled. The best investment you can make are sleepers w/out feet because you get more wear out of them. Even after they shrink or baby grows, the sleeper will still fit over their feet.

Are you planning to BF?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC yes and i am eyeballing the medela freestyle, of course its like $400 but i saw it on another site (maybe ebay? ) for like $200. so i will prob buy it myself. i saw that target has bags and stuff like that for it, but i wasn''t sure what bottles.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
for play yard i figured that it doesn''t have to have a lot of bells and whistles for the smaller ones up to like 25 lbs right?

what baby bottles do you guys recommend for the ''first try'' ones to have at home in the first days? they have those curved playtex(?) ones at target to help reduce air? same with paci''s?

I have 4 crib sheets, so if he spits/diaper overflows up on one or two, I don''t have to do laundry right away. They also make sheet savers to go right under their heads so you won''t have to change sheets as much, but somehow they never spit up on those.

I have 2 sheets for the play yard, but only becasue my day care provider uses it for nap time at her house. 1 sheet would probably be fine.

You only need one with the bells and wistles if you think you''ll use it often. I have not used mine in my own house, so didn''t need the extras.

I tried Soothie bottles first, but the wide mouth size just didn''t work for us. Dr. Brown was my second try, and worked great! You''ll probably get a few bottles as gifts, or if you buy some just get 1 of each type so you aren''t stuck with unused rejects.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 2:09:04 PM
Author: TravelingGalOther good things:

Baby tub
Gliders are wonderful! Before you look for a new one, check Craig''s List. My MIL purchased me a fabulous high-quality one (around $500) and I used it for both kids. When we moved to the townhome/condo we had to sell it because of lack of space and I sold it for only $40. It was in perfect condition.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
My must haves:

- Boppy pillow - great for breasfeeding or bottle feeding and can be used for the baby to lounge in when he/she is older.

- Onesies. My son was born in early July and so he lived in those for so long. Cute and easy for the many, many diaper changes that you''ll be doing
2.gif

- Baby wash. We got so much at my two showers and we haven''t had to buy any and my son is now 13 months old.

- Pampers Sensitive diapers. The hospital sent us home with a bunch and we stuck with them. The indicator strip is awesome.

- Soft, fragrance free wipes. Good for changes and food clean up when the LO is bigger.

- Travel system or Snap N ''Go type of thing. We live in the ''burbs and it was great to just lift the seat out of the car and snap it into the stroller and go. We have an Evenflo.

- We used the Dr. Brown''s bottles from early on. Had some cheapie ones and they caused more spit up with a spitty uppy baby.

- Receiving blankets and cloth diapers.

That''s really about it. My parents and In-laws split the cost of our nursery furniture and a good friend of mine bought our glider. My son also loved the bouncy seat, exersaucer and jumperoo - although you won''t use anything but the bouncy seat for a while.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 3:53:22 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Have you checked out the book Baby Bargains? There''s a sample registry near the back.
agreed. this book is awesome!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 7:17:56 PM
Author: MC

I would get the ULTIMATE CRIB SHEET to put over your cute sheet. So much easier to change. Trust me on this! I'd get 2 ultimates and 1 or 2 cute sheets and you're set.

yep, 1 or 2

for play yard i figured that it doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles for the smaller ones up to like 25 lbs right?

totally agree - we like having the changing table attachment on ours, gives us another place to change him. Other than that we don't need the bells and whistles at all.

what baby bottles do you guys recommend for the 'first try' ones to have at home in the first days? they have those curved playtex(?) ones at target to help reduce air? same with paci's?

We use Avent and really like them. If you are planning to BF you won't need much in the way of bottles. If you are using Avent bottles and Medela pump, you can get converters from Drugstore.com that allow you to pump directly into the Avent bottles or Avent storage system. This is a huge timesaver!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

I got 2 sets of sheets and 2 ultimate crib sheets as TDM mentioned. The Ultimate crib sheet elastics really bugged me as they were too short for the corner of my crib. So I bought extra elastic and cut a bit off the elastic on the sheet. Then I sewed on the "extender" elastic and sewed the bit with the snaps back on. Ugly, but it helped a lot.

I didn''t bother with the play yard but I imagine a sheet would be helpful.

I used born free. Love them. Pacis I used the playtex ortho pro. They were great for her. I chose silicone even though it isn''t as soft because latex may cause allergies. No problems.

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
I second Born Free bottles. They have a special vent in them to make sure baby doesn''t drink too fast and get gassy. I used them with both infants I used to nanny for and one would spit up all the time if we didn''t use these particular bottles.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2009 7:20:02 PM
Author: MC

Date: 8/4/2009 2:09:04 PM
Author: TravelingGalOther good things:

Baby tub
Gliders are wonderful! Before you look for a new one, check Craig''s List. My MIL purchased me a fabulous high-quality one (around $500) and I used it for both kids. When we moved to the townhome/condo we had to sell it because of lack of space and I sold it for only $40. It was in perfect condition.
I tried them all out, but DH and I didn''t like the glider motion (straight forward and backward). We preferred more of a rocking motion, so I ended up with a leather rocking recliner
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results