shape
carat
color
clarity

what to read?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not read anything really decent as of recently and have a feeling as if I were eating food without salt.

I started re-reading "Abbess of Crewe" by Muriel Spark, then went through all books by Muriel Spark... (She is one of the writers that I like). But I have read most of old books 3 times over. At the moment, I would settle for any good book.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? I see many people, my work day is full, I watch movies owing to my husband's interests, and I have enough stuff to do with my kid. I think I just let life rob me of my main interest.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'm reading "Room" at the moment. Very engrossing, but a bit disturbing. I have no doubt it was inspired by the Fritzl (sp?) case, as it is written from the viewpoint of a 5 year old boy who has been locked in a room with his mother (periodic nighttime visits from the 'bad' guy, of course). He thinks there is no 'outside', just Outer Space, and everything he sees on TV must be make believe. :o I can't stop reading it!

I've also just purchased "Sarah's Key," "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," and "One Day." All sounded good so bought them from bookdepository.com (books are ridiculously expensive in Australia - like $25 for a paperback!). :bigsmile:

Good luck finding a winner!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you read "Case Histories" by Kate Atkinson? It is very good, and then there are a couple more books after that which carry over some of the characters.

Another couple worth checking out -
"Jar City" by Arnaldur Indridason
"The Tourist" by Olen Steinhauer
"The Quiet Clown" by Peter Hoeg

Currently reading George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series - it had been recommended to me sometime back but for some reason I thought I wouldn't like it... but the 1st book hooked me and now I'm on Book 3

And there's John Connolly - I read one book by him and now am reading everything he wrote - so far my favorites are "The Reapers" (this book has characters first introduced in "Every Dead Thing") and "The Book of Lost Things" (which has a sequel, "The Infernals")

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out Goodreads? I find a lot of new stuff there, love the reviews and the recommendations...

www.goodreads.com

What genre's do you generally like? Have you tried any John Irving? A Prayer for Owen Meany is my favorite of his. Also, I ALWAYS recommend The Book Thief, by Markus Zusaks. I will also pass on Haven's fabulous recommendation of A Curse As Dark As Gold, by Elizabeth Bunce as a wonderful fairy tell re-telling. Which reminds me- Orson Scott Card's Enchantment is also one of my all time favorites!

I also tried the Game of Thrones series this year, and really enjoyed the first 3 and was very frustrated by the 4th and 5th, hopefully there's an upswing in the story when/if GRRM ever gets around to finishing the books.

Happy reading!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm currently re-reading Tana French's Dublin series, and loving it - I'd recommend the first two books, In the Woods and The Likeness very, very highly. The third book, Faithful Place, gives one of the best representations of a dysfunctional, abusive family I've ever read ... but the mystery is a little lackluster, so YMMV.

What genre(s) do you usually read, btw?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I'm a librarian and did a search using my library's NoveList database, with read-alikes for Muriel Spark:

Spark, Muriel
Read-alikes from NoveList
1. Wells, Ken
Reason: Readers who enjoy Humorous stories books for adults about Fugitives may also enjoy books by this author.
2. Pym, Barbara, 1913-1980
Reason: These two authors write books of Satirical fiction, mystery stories, and historical fiction for adults in which Middle-aged women is a main topic.
3. Moyer, Marsha
Reason: Readers who enjoy Spark's Humorous stories books for adults about Middle-aged women and men/women relations may also enjoy Moyer.
4. Quinn, Karen, 1955-
Reason: If you like Spark, you may also like Quinn. Both write Humorous stories books for adults about Middle-aged women.
5. Hecht, Julie
Reason: Spark and Hecht both write Humorous stories books for adults concerning Middle-aged women.
6. Graff, Laurie
Reason: If you like Humorous stories books for adults featuring Middle-aged women and men/women relations, you might like both Spark and Graff.
7. Heller, Zoe
Reason: Spark and Heller both write Satirical fiction and Humorous stories books for adults concerning Middle-aged women and Women teachers.
8. Willett, Jincy
Reason: If you like Satirical fiction, Humorous stories, and mystery stories books for adults featuring Middle-aged women and murder, you might like both Spark and Willett.
9. Knipfel, Jim
Reason: Readers who enjoy Satirical fiction and Humorous stories books for adults about Fugitives may also enjoy books by this author.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
JustGinger -- Sarah's Key is really good!

I'm reading The Broker by John Grisham right now. I just started it but it's good so far.

After that, I'm planning on reading a few new books on my bookshelf:

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult
The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks
The Litigators by John Grisham
Minding Frankie by Maeve Binchy

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just read "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake," and I was surprised at how much I liked it. It did smack a bit of "Like Water for Chocolate," but I liked that too, LOL.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Dee*Jay|1321135046|3060480 said:
I just read "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake," and I was surprised at how much I liked it. It did smack a bit of "Like Water for Chocolate," but I liked that too, LOL.

Oh, I loved Like Water for Chocolate, I'll have to add Lemon Cake to the to-read list! Have you tried any Isabella Allende? It's more fabulous magical realism; start with The House of the Spirits!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1321136752|3060504 said:
Dee*Jay|1321135046|3060480 said:

Oh, I loved Like Water for Chocolate, I'll have to add Lemon Cake to the to-read list! Have you tried any Isabella Allende? It's more fabulous magical realism; start with The House of the Spirits!

Yes, Isabella Allende is wonderful!

For a more "European" twist on the touch-of-fantasy-in-an-otherwise-normal-world theme, try Jonathan Carroll. My absolute favorite book is Outside the Dog Museum. Or the Japanese writer Haruki Murakami is also great!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason I mentioned Spark is because English writers have this wonderful mixture of sadness and irony. I love Evelyn Waugh and P.G. Wodehouse. Just examples, there are wonderful books around, but I always thought that people who can smile at sad events or writers who have incredible honesty at portraying harshness (has anyone read Elizabeth George's "What came before he shot her"?) are the best. I shall read everything what you have advised, do not even know where to start... Big thanks to all of you!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results