shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for in a dealer

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Hi all, thinking of proposing soon and going out with my girlfriend this weekend to get an idea of what she likes. For the final product, though, I’m thinking of going with a private dealer that my family has known for decades. Several of my cousins have gotten their engagement rings with him, and my dad bought a diamond anniversary ring through him. So I have good reason to trust him (especially considering that he and my cousins are from the same affluent town) but I’m a suspicious person by nature, particularly when it comes to major decisions and purchases. So I thought I’d ask the experts - what are warning signs to watch out for? What sort of questions should I be asking to determine if he’ll be honest with me and have good customer service? Things like his return policy, etc. Are there any positive signs I should look out for? I want to go into this fully informed. Thank you all for your help!

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Some thoughts. Good return policy, many have 30 days. Look at stone in different lighting scenarios not just jewelers lighting, patience with questions, a willingness to provide gia #'s , not pushy

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the biggest red flags for me is someone acting like they are giving me a deal or swearing that their product is the best. I would want a jeweler that can provide me with as much information and images as possible. Make sure that you are looking at either AGS or GIA certified stones and see the certs. Gather the information and come home and shop it around with online stones in terms of quality and price. Always, always look at the stone in many lighting areas - never judge solely on the lighting in the showroom of the jewelry store. Those are designed to make everything look sparkly. You want to know as much as you can about the product and the price. A beautiful diamond can sell itself without any prodding from the jeweler. You can always come here and post images and/or specs from the diamond for advice. It just usually doesn't pay to jump on the first thing you see.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ambrose,

May I suggest that you spend some time on this site researching what you will want to know to pick a great diamond. When you visit the jeweler, ask him about some of the things you have learned here. If he has kept up with the new things that have been learned by scientific research into light behavior in a diamond, and is excited to share them with you, then you most likely are dealing with a dealer who has kept up with his education in his chosen trade and knows what he is talking about. He will be able to lead you to a wize choice.

If, and I hope this does not happen, he downplays the importance of cut and the knowledge needed to share that importance, then he is not keeping up with the trade and you may wish to consider other options.

Most importantly, ask to see diamonds of differing cut qualities side by side to see the differences for yourself. Garry Holloway, known here as Cut Nut, put together this cut demonstration.

The 0.80 ct stone not only looks bigger than the 1,00 ct diamond, it sparkles like crazy while the 1 carat just lets the light leak through all over the place. However, in bright jewelry store lighting the 1 carat actually looks okay, until you put any kind of a shadow over it and its true character shows its unattractive face.

Starting here is going to give you a large head start in making an informed choice.

Wink

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
is there a 'trade-up' policy?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I love looking at stones in person! So much fun. I hope you two enjoy the process. Keep in mind you may also see a higher cost at a B&M store than online. At least that’s been my experience. If you both find a stone you like, take it to the window AND outside. Most reputable jewelers wouldn’t bat an eye at that request and have heard customers ask that before. GL! Great advice already given from others.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
To piggy-back on what others have advised. I think it depends on how much effort you wish to put forth. This forum alone can provide you with more training and information than many Jewelry sales professionals. You can glance over the site with but a cursory eye and pick up information on the 4C's, and maybe the difference between GIA, AGS, IGI, HRD and other labs, or maybe spend more time to investigate why a "Hearts and Arrows" diamond is sold as such, or delve into light performance and the ASET and Ideal-Scope images and what they signify.

Be careful though - many a casual consumer has come onto this forum and become fascinated by the wealth of information about science and craftsmanship, only to become mesmerized by PriceScope. They find themselves returning again and again, even after a purchase, to participate in this community.

Seriously, though - Take as much time as you need so you can make a confident, well-informed decision no matter who sells you the diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone much wiser than me has said, never mix business with pleasure.

There are many tales on here of 'family friends' failing to find decent stones, and then things get messy.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I have been doing my own independent research, on here, other diamond sites, Reddit, and at retail jewelers. I know for sure that I want a GIA triple EX or an AGS 0, but I keep seeing people on here say that isn’t enough to determine how the light will look. I don’t care too much about clarity and color so long as it’s eyeclean and I can’t see any coloring myself. I’d like to stay under 5K for the whole diamond plus ring but that largely depends on the size my girlfriend wants and I’m willing to go over it. She wants a simple setting so that won’t be terribly expensive but I want to make sure the stone is as good as possible. She has really small hands so hopefully she’ll think a smaller stone is fine so I can go all out on how brilliant and shiny it is but that depends on this weekend when we look. I’ll get as good a deal as I can.

So when I talk to him, what’s the correct language for what I want? Is brilliance the right word to describe everything about the light and appearance of the stone? Should I ask for an idealscope image? If I get one, what sort of things should I look for to determine if it works well? Fair warning, I do not trust my eyes at all in most cases. I was at Kay’s early in my research and they showed me an IGI rated I1 and honestly it looked fine to my naked eye. Luckily I didn’t buy even though they were having a massive sale on Black Friday, because I would have regretted it immensely after learning more. But when people on this forum say you can tell the difference in how well it catches the light....I honestly don’t think I can, either in person or a video.

Speaking of videos, I keep hearing mixed things about buying a diamond online. Some people say that it’s a waste since they usually get the rejects that dealers can’t sell while others say that‘s a lie that dealers tell so people go to them. Is there a way to actually get a better deal or will the market value take care of itself no matter where you go? From what research I’ve done it seems like Whiteflash is the best opportunity to get a good diamond with all the necessary vetting and tools available right there, but is there a place you all prefer?

Wink, you mentioned new advancements and research with light behavior, could you elaborate on that? I’ve read that the angles and percentages of each part need to be in a certain range, that the HCA is a good tool to determine how it will shine, and that you should look at idealscope and ASET but I don’t know how to interpret those, really. Any help would be welcome.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I have been doing my own independent research, on here, other diamond sites, Reddit, and at retail jewelers. I know for sure that I want a GIA triple EX or an AGS 0, but I keep seeing people on here say that isn’t enough to determine how the light will look. I don’t care too much about clarity and color so long as it’s eyeclean and I can’t see any coloring myself. I’d like to stay under 5K for the whole diamond plus ring but that largely depends on the size my girlfriend wants and I’m willing to go over it. She wants a simple setting so that won’t be terribly expensive but I want to make sure the stone is as good as possible. She has really small hands so hopefully she’ll think a smaller stone is fine so I can go all out on how brilliant and shiny it is but that depends on this weekend when we look. I’ll get as good a deal as I can.

So when I talk to him, what’s the correct language for what I want? Is brilliance the right word to describe everything about the light and appearance of the stone? Should I ask for an idealscope image? If I get one, what sort of things should I look for to determine if it works well? Fair warning, I do not trust my eyes at all in most cases. I was at Kay’s early in my research and they showed me an IGI rated I1 and honestly it looked fine to my naked eye. Luckily I didn’t buy even though they were having a massive sale on Black Friday, because I would have regretted it immensely after learning more. But when people on this forum say you can tell the difference in how well it catches the light....I honestly don’t think I can, either in person or a video.

Speaking of videos, I keep hearing mixed things about buying a diamond online. Some people say that it’s a waste since they usually get the rejects that dealers can’t sell while others say that‘s a lie that dealers tell so people go to them. Is there a way to actually get a better deal or will the market value take care of itself no matter where you go? From what research I’ve done it seems like Whiteflash is the best opportunity to get a good diamond with all the necessary vetting and tools available right there, but is there a place you all prefer?

Wink, you mentioned new advancements and research with light behavior, could you elaborate on that? I’ve read that the angles and percentages of each part need to be in a certain range, that the HCA is a good tool to determine how it will shine, and that you should look at idealscope and ASET but I don’t know how to interpret those, really. Any help would be welcome.

I would give him the parameters for the stones you wish to stay in then they can be vetted in person, also know the difference between an Idealscope image and an ASET image

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be careful though - many a casual consumer has come onto this forum and become fascinated by the wealth of information about science and craftsmanship, only to become mesmerized by PriceScope. They find themselves returning again and again, even after a purchase, to participate in this community.

They find themselves buying more and more diamonds and gemstones... and spending more money... until they have a dragon's hoard worth of sparklies. :lol:

But when people on this forum say you can tell the difference in how well it catches the light....I honestly don’t think I can, either in person or a video.

If you think you can't tell the difference, you just haven't actually seen a comparison of a normal diamond with an ideal one.

As for terminology, let them know you are looking for an "ideal cut." tbh, most jewelers are NOT going to actually be able to pick one for you, and you'll need to post the diamond reports here so we can sift through them. Most jewelers can get you a GIA excellent but aren't going to know how to go beyond that in terms of cut quality because they haven't kept up with the industry.

eta another link: https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond-brightness

lmfao, that is so profoundly NOT how most of the diamond industry works, so it is definitely a lie. Most jewelers get their diamonds from diamond brokers, and most jewelers - whether in brick and mortar stores or online - have theoretical access to the same diamonds. Most jewelers stock (own) very few diamonds so will have to call ones in for you to see. The super ideal vendors often stock their own diamonds so have a broader range that they actually own.

The knowledge about angles, HCA, idealscope/aset - those ARE the new advances. If your jeweler doesn't know about those, chances are they haven't kept up with new knowledge, as people above have said. And this knowledge isn't terribly new, but it wasn't around 40 years ago.

Last edited:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Ambrose,
From the approach you are already taking, I am sure you will find a great diamond whether online or off.

One thing I notice from your postings is that you seem to be oriented to a diamond with great light performance, but you say you don't care about clarity. This probably indicates that you are looking for what many shoppers look for, an "eye-clean" diamond. It is very true that the clarity grades at the top of the scale are generally indistinguishable from one another by the naked eye, yet the higher clarities carry a premium price tag. So it makes sense to find a balance here and many people target Si clarities for this reason. You should be aware that the Si category is pretty broad and and includes some stones that are eye clean but may have characteristics that result in diminished light performance due to negative transparency effects, even when cut quality is great. Some indications may be found in a careful reading of the lab report, but a consultation with a qualified, independent third party gemologist is recommended.

In terms of developing your strategy before seeing your family jeweler, since you are already here it might be worthwhile to get some recommendations from the folks here about diamonds that fit your criteria and the reasons for those recommendations. Armed with that information you will be better prepared to assess what the family jeweler is offering.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here is a quote from an earlier thread from John Pollard, the US Executive Director of Crafted by Infinity. I love how he puts the information in an easy to understand format.

"The HCA score is like drawing a chalk outline of a person. Grading report numbers are like knowing their height, weight and clothing measurements. ASET (all shapes) and Ideal-Scope (RB) is like looking at a photo of the person. Optical precision images (H&A) demonstrate that the person remains photogenic through a broad range of illumination conditions"

Frankly, the knowledge about cutting that you can learn here in hours, were not available to the trade at any level when I got my gemology degree. I have been blessed to be in this wonderful trade during a time of rapid change and you are lucky that you can now get a much more beautiful diamond than you could when I joined the trade.

Wink

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
@distracts Yeah it seemed a bit suspect but the guy I’m thinking of who said that online wasn’t reliable is here:
This guy is a private dealer on Reddit and pretty well-known there and many people recommend him. The whole spiel seemed kind of self-serving though and not presenting a nuanced view. So I wanted more opinions. And I figured a forum specifically about diamonds would attract more knowledgeable people.

Okay everyone I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what to look out for and what all these new tools do and how to interpret the results. Looking at the actual diamonds though is still going to be annoying for me - even in that video posted with the two very different diamonds I still couldn’t see that much difference in the light performance. Until he said something I wasn’t even sure which one was supposed to be the better one. I’ve got no eye for beauty but I can handle numbers. If the jeweler gives me examples I'll get as much data as I can from GIA/AGS, HCA, idealscope, and ASET, and take pictures or video if he doesn’t have them already. Although if no pictures or video exist of the diamond I’d be suspect, as well as if he doesn’t have the newer data. If Im not comfortable letting him choose then I’ll ask the forum for recommendations. I might do that anyway just to price compare.

Reactions: AV_

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts Yeah it seemed a bit suspect but the guy I’m thinking of who said that online wasn’t reliable is here:
This guy is a private dealer on Reddit and pretty well-known there and many people recommend him. The whole spiel seemed kind of self-serving though and not presenting a nuanced view. So I wanted more opinions. And I figured a forum specifically about diamonds would attract more knowledgeable people.

Okay everyone I think I’ve got a pretty good idea of what to look out for and what all these new tools do and how to interpret the results. Looking at the actual diamonds though is still going to be annoying for me - even in that video posted with the two very different diamonds I still couldn’t see that much difference in the light performance. Until he said something I wasn’t even sure which one was supposed to be the better one. I’ve got no eye for beauty but I can handle numbers. If the jeweler gives me examples I'll get as much data as I can from GIA/AGS, HCA, idealscope, and ASET, and take pictures or video if he doesn’t have them already. Although if no pictures or video exist of the diamond I’d be suspect, as well as if he doesn’t have the newer data. If Im not comfortable letting him choose then I’ll ask the forum for recommendations. I might do that anyway just to price compare.

Ngl I look at the jewelry subreddits too and almost everyone there has, no offense to them, crap ugly jewelry. I have higher standards. Dan's stuff looks good, and it stands out so well on reddit because everything else on reddit looks like crap. Which is really fortunate for him from a business standpoint, lol.

While Pricescope also has jewelers and other industry professionals posting, they are not allowed to promote themselves or to comment directly on another vendor’s items - only to provide general knowledge (which is why there are several posting in this thread, but it’s likely none will post if you share diamonds you are thinking of buying). Reddit is NOT that way and there is self-promotion galore.

Re: that guide: I have seen far more people get taken advantage of buying from traditional brick and mortar jewelers than online, since a lot of their business model revolves around not being able to compare and price shop the way you can with the internet, and 2) isn’t Dan an online jeweler if he’s selling to people on reddit and helping them via the internet? What makes him different than any other online jeweler? If he's saying he's not a drop-shipper, then yes, that is different - but that's not what he's saying. Many of the non-drop-ship online jewelers recommended on reddit do have actual physical business locations/stores where you can go shop - I have visited several. They just also sell online. 3) As a woman, I’m not impressed that he recommends just guessing what she wants rather than ASKING her. So, top piece of advice: ask your fiancée-to-be what she wants for an engagement ring, and whether she wants you to pick it out or wants to shop WITH you and pick it out together. 4) if you’re an individual buying a diamond, you’re paying retail price whether you buy from a “broker” or not - if he’s selling to the public, you’re paying retail price. He may have a lower overhead than some stores, but you’re not actually getting the crazy deal he might be trying to say you are, and what he’s saying about that is one of the red flags for a dodgy salesperson. 5) he either doesn't understand diamond grading or is being intentionally unclear about the differences between labs and how grading is done, 6) "you should be presented with a selection of stones to view. Your jeweler should be going over them with you, either in person or via a series of photos and videos" w h a t - HOW is this ANY DIFFERENT than buying online? the cognitive dissonance here is astounding - either buying via photos and videos over the internet is good or it's not - he can't say it's good when he does it but bad when everyone else does it.

He gets a lot of things right in the guide, but imo it's significant that what he gets wrong is all to his benefit. Things he gets right: mall jewelers like Kay, Zales, Jared (here on PS known as "maul" jewelers) have terrible stock at even worse prices, SOME PLACES online you shouldn't buy from (as a novice, do NOT buy an engagement ring from ebay or craigslist, please), you should pick a jeweler you trust to work with, his stuff on the 4Cs (and fifth C - cost) is mostly accurate with the exception of the lab stuff, he's definitely right about clarity, he knows about diamond cut. I agree with him that you can't buy only from the lab report (especially for fancies - I would actually buy from the report only for round brilliants, and prior to this high-quality imaging, PSers did that regularly) but I think the high-quality images and videos online vendors have are an adequate substitute for seeing stones in person. I also agree that it is easier to buy with a jeweler who you trust but I think if you're on a budget or a quick deadline or just prefer it, buying from one of the big drop-shippers is fine, as long as you understand YOU are having to do the weeding out yourself, rather than trusting an expert to do it for you.

So basically: you're right that his vested business interests come through in his guide. With that said, from his comments/pictures on reddit, and with the caveat that I don't know anything about his pricing, he seems a cut above most jewelers in his knowledge and product.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simply tell him that want an ideal cut GIA Triple EX diamond.
Ask him for the best cut diamond he can offer and the GIA report number or report for the diamond.
If he may not want to share the report number with you, that's fine. Just take the picture of GIA report with the number hidden.

Come back here and share the GIA report number or the report, and price with us.
What to look for in a dealer?

Product, Service, and Price. Let him show you what he can offer you. Don't get too technical in conversation.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if you do ask for IS or ASET images, don't let him poo-poo those terms because he doesn't know about them or can't access the images. Many jewelers will try to discredit ideal cut or super ideal cut because they don't have such a thing to offer.

The online vendors here definitely don't get the leftovers from the market - they are choosing the top cut stones - and there is a premium for that level of cut quality. Go to WF, HPD, BGD websites and look at the images provided for each diamond. You will start to get a feel for what these stones should look like - particularly if light performance is very important to you.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The first thing to do in evaluating your family jeweler is to ask to see some diamonds in your price range. If, when you get there, the jeweler presents you with stones that are not GIA certified, you will know with almost 99% certainty that you will be better off taking your business somewhere else.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Use the Search bar at the top of the forum to look up a range of options for diamonds within your budget and preferred specs - use the Filters and select AGS000 and GIA XXX, then select 'Excellent' on the HCA scores to pull out stones that have crown and pavilion angles that work well together (hence have good HCA scores).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
First thing is vet your dealer bring up to date on what is happening in the industry is good but is not a sure sign of a good dealer.
Check the BBB and the various review sites and search for them on google and see what other people are saying.
As far as policies like returns and trade up/in just ask and get it in writing.
How they respond will be informative. Many dont offer them.
If they are dismissive then that's a sign to move on.

As far as finding a good diamond, it depends on how far you want to go the top few percent or a great looking nice diamond.
For rounds:
A ags0 cut grade and running it through the hca to weed out the few oddballs will get you a nice diamond that is better than a most of them out there.
With GIA X its a little less sure than ags0 but running them through the hca is a good start.

G or H color is probably the most accepted safest color trade off.
If targeting size or budget then a I-J is a good choice.

Clarity: eye clean, work with your dealer to make sure your options are eye clean. These days eyeclean si2 stones are very rare, si1 are a bit more common. vs2 is easier to find an eyeclean sample with RBs most are.
Avoid stones with the comment : grade based on clouds not shown.

Video and IS/ASET Images are a safety net when buying online.
When shopping in person you could buy your own, or view the diamond in as many lighting conditions as possible.
A return policy is great here because you can view it in typical lighting for you or the recipient.

The awesome consumers and prosumers here would be happy to help you with each step.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at the actual diamonds though is still going to be annoying for me - even in that video posted with the two very different diamonds I still couldn’t see that much difference in the light performance. Until he said something I wasn’t even sure which one was supposed to be the better one. I’ve got no eye for beauty but I can handle numbers.

Fair warning, I do not trust my eyes at all in most cases. I was at Kay’s early in my research and they showed me an IGI rated I1 and honestly it looked fine to my naked eye. Luckily I didn’t buy even though they were having a massive sale on Black Friday, because I would have regretted it immensely after learning more. But when people on this forum say you can tell the difference in how well it catches the light....I honestly don’t think I can, either in person or a video.

In that case I would definitely get your girlfriend involved in selecting the stone, unless she doesn’t want to be for some reason. Your eyes may not see a difference but hers may well do and she’ll be the one seeing the stone on her finger every day.

As you say you enjoy number analysis, maybe pre-select a range of options (via your dealer or online or help here) and she can choose? Or you could ‘vet’ her selection before purchase using knowledge you’ve gained, to make sure you’re not overpaying, that way you’d both be involved in the choice?

If neither of you can tell the difference, or value the difference, between ideal and non-ideal, then fantastic and potentially save yourself some cash. I’d definitely still make sure that wherever you buy has a decent trade-up policy just in case though - a view of what’s beautiful can change with time.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I've been sick the last 2-3 days and as I sift through this thread I see a crap ton of info has been shot your way.

Just thought I'd check in to see if your question has been answered in a way that provides you assurance and confidence in yourself? And do you have any clarifications that may have stemmed up from all info tossed your way?

My advice is simple: always trust your gut.

If it doesn't feel right, and you have to convince yourself then I think you already have the answer you need.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to keep my question very simple- did you and your girlfriend enjoy looking at diamonds? I hope so! I love looking at loose stones.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! We went to a local retail jeweler to get her sized and to check out some sample rings. She decided she wants a round brilliant stone and either a solitaire with 4 prongs or a halo setting (with diamonds only around the center stone, not up and down the ring itself). She also liked the split shank with the halo as well as the regular ring. Still can’t decide between yellow and white gold but we’ll go out again to see more samples. I figure I could either get the nicest stone I can with a solitaire or a smaller nice stone with a halo setting.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad that you are both getting out there and working out what you like - far less chance of buying the wrong thing that way :D lol

As you say, a halo / split shank setting will eat more of your budget and mean a smaller stone, but you can look at what each option might give you when you've worked out exactly what you want :))

AV_

Ideal_Rock
One way to keep it simple: have a gread diamond in a standard solitaire, from a place wirh a good upgrade policy [does the family dealer offer as much?]. Then, time will tell. These things are a pleasure that takes time [that time taken is the pleasure! - this forum stands proof of it]

2p

Last edited:

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think for now, imho, put most of your budget towards the stone. 95% of it. Anything fancy will take a nice bite out of your overall budget. I’d do a simple solitaire and as an anniversary gift or push present lol if you decide to have kids- you can get her a gorgeous setting and even upgrade the center stone if you both want.

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Wink at HPD offers the absolute best all-around value for super ideal round cut diamonds: not only do you get a best of the best cut( a perfectly cut .80 or .90 carat crafted by infinity diamond, which Wink goes with exclusively, will face up bigger and brighter than the average mediocre 1 carat stone), but he has the best upgrade policy in the biz AND a lifetime 80% Buy-Back option. Pound for pound you simply can't do better, all things considered.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I missed it, but what is your budget?

Also, what size, color and clarity requirements were you targeting as a minimum in the stone?

A very simple solitaire could be had for about $300 or so. Of course, you can spend $1,000 on a solitaire as well, or possibly more.

A halo will likely be in the $1,200+ range. The difference being that sometimes getting the smaller diamond and coupling with a halo will give more finger coverage, moreso than what you can afford by just a diamond and solitaire.

Knowing your parameters might help us throw together a couple of options for you.

Regardless what you decide, we will ensure the cut of the stone is superb. Rather that means super ideal, or a XXX stone with ideal proportions.

Ambrose

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice! So she still couldn’t decide between white/yellow gold or between solitaire and halo, so she wants me to pick. I think I’m going with a solitaire in white gold though, so I want the best stone I can get. I’m thinking around $5000 give or take for just the stone. We’re also saving up for the wedding as well as a down payment on a house so I don’t want to spend too much even though I could afford more.

She looked at a bunch of stones in two jewelry places, and even looked at a couple under the microscope to see the differences in clarity. From what she was saying as she looked at them, the differences in cut didn’t make as much of an impact, although I still want to maximize that as much as possible for performance in all light environments as well as my own peace of mind. She put way more emphasis on size than I do and while she didn’t come right out and say it I think she’d be much happier with a carat or above so I may have to sacrifice some other parameters. Color isn’t really an issue, she even liked an L diamond that was set in yellow gold and couldn’t really see the color. In white gold I’m thinking H or I would probably be fine. Clarity is probably fine with either SI1 or SI2 as long as it’s eyeclean and doesn’t interfere with the light performance. And maybe the marks don‘t stand out too much if she ever decided to look with a magnifying glass. Ideally I think I’d like nothing on the table but at the budget I want that may not be possible with everything else.

Going to call the jeweler my family knows this week but in the meantime I’m looking up online diamonds to get an idea of what I can get otherwise. Thank you all for your help and advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results