shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with Bangle Center?

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Burmesedaze snatched for me this bangle and it includes the unused center. I’m not sure what to do with it whether to have a simple carving on it (complicated carvings like dragons and landscapes are usually done in China and I don’t want to risk having something like this done locally as it might end up subpar), or to make one big cab for a ring and 2 smaller cabs for earrings. I think modern carvings like spirals or classics like A mandala or cherry blossoms are plausible.... I also thought of a big donut then hang a tassel on it for a necklace but it might be too thick. :)

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

A7289AAA-34DC-441C-BE82-9210EB3211A1.jpeg F48C3BC5-56C4-4866-A563-EB93295E1F91.jpeg 1E550392-3E87-4896-ADA5-0EA5CFCE19FB.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it were mine, I would have it slimmed and shaped into a beautiful, large, (but not thick) elegant disk which shows off the mesmerizing stone pattern and crystallization of the jade. To my eyes, I see water flowing down and through it, like water over pebbles. The stone pattern in its totality is part of the beauty IMO, which would be less obvious if cut into smaller pieces. Also, would the color and grain be best served in smaller cabs in your taste ? ....meaning would you wear them compared with your other jade rings?
I think a large disk is fabulous on flowing robes and tops. You could have it strung also with pastel sapphire beads, tassel, it a few rose cut diamonds.
Lovely jade! Congratulations:)

Last edited:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Seaglow lavender jadeite pieces that large, and with that depth of color don't come around every day, it would be a shame to break it up. Would certainly make a statement as a pendant, perhaps with one simple hole drilled to attach the bale.

Maybe carve one side and leave the other flat, you could then wear it either way depending on how the mood takes you. :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you, guys!

@Bluegemz, if I make it into cabs I can take out the pattern and choose the even, deeper color icier ones and it will indeed have some wastage. You are right, the grain might add character and might be better big as a statement piece. I did think slicing them into 2 to make a disc! It will come out icier that way and as you said, with patterns showing. :)

@Burmesedaze, what will you do with them?

@prs, you are right, the depth of color with some ice on it is rather difficult to come by at this large size. Only about a couple of mines produces this icy lavender in Myanmar, according to my Burmese friend who owns a jade factory, and now a pure lavender is harder to find. I like your design idea!

@JPie, economically speaking, your design idea is really good. When the jade has a pleasant grain, iciness, and color, it should be left as you suggested.

I will receive the items tomorrow so I’ll post additional photos! :)

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got the bangle and I think I will make the center as a pendant as all of you suggested and bevel the edges. :) it also matches with my beads though I’ve never worn them!

13066CA2-B065-49ED-85C0-0B6A439D9C42.jpeg

389FBF9E-C763-4E9B-8DEE-C772B521011A.jpeg

Attachments

• 304DCBA2-B0D4-4F8D-AF3F-415FF00B3214.jpeg
    304DCBA2-B0D4-4F8D-AF3F-415FF00B3214.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 44

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the bangle and I think I will make the center as a pendant as all of you suggested and bevel the edges. :) it also matches with my beads though I’ve never worn them!

13066CA2-B065-49ED-85C0-0B6A439D9C42.jpeg

389FBF9E-C763-4E9B-8DEE-C772B521011A.jpeg

That’s going to be beautiful, especially with finely formed edges and beautiful lines/curves to the disk.

It’s amazing how Important proportions are in jade disks and how many different ‘personalities’ they can have based on proportions alone. I’ve seen everything from flat and thin, to sublime elegance to chunky and plumpy as I’m sure you have too. Not to mention more modern looks....A large disk will show off extra fine proportions IMO. How exciting!

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This might be terribly unimaginative, but if I had it, I'd simply use it as a ring holder/pedestal in my powder room, as resting my ring on it would bring my eyes joy every time I wash my hands <3

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Given we are all brainstorming; perhaps @Seaglow could temporarily place the disk on her office desk as a coffee or tea cup mat. That way she could look at it, and contemplate a carving, every time she took a sip. :)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Given we are all brainstorming; perhaps @Seaglow could temporarily place the disk on her office desk as a coffee or tea cup mat. That way she could look at it, and contemplate a carving, every time she took a sip. :)

That would be nice!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would certainly keep them on my desk to play with & support the expresso cups.

@bluegems I remember such a windowpane jadeite disk, transparent, with snowflake fluffy white specs throughout; pin/pendant.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to just hold it in my hand, to feel the coolness and the weight.
I'm weird like that!

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Not wierd at all stracci2000. I was actually thinking the same myself! :mrgreen2:
Fabulous colour jade!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results