shape
carat
color
clarity

What the hell, gun people!?!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
"On Saturday, nearly 40 armed men, women, and children waited outside a Dallas, Texas area restaurant to protest a membership meeting for the state chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a gun safety advocacy group formed in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
According to a spokeswoman for Moms Demand Action (MDA), the moms were inside the Blue Mesa Grill when members of Open Carry Texas (OCT) — an open carry advocacy group — “pull[ed] up in the parking lot and start[ed] getting guns out of their trunks.” The group then waited in the parking lot for the four MDA members to come out. The spokeswoman said that the restaurant manager did not want to call 911, for fear of “inciting a riot” and waited for the gun advocates to leave."
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2013/11/10/2921121/dallas-gun-advocates-protest-restaurant-gun-control-advocates/

_11838.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not. Helping. Their. Cause. :roll: :evil:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Disgusting, and totally disrespectful to the victims of Sandy Hook.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Not that I necessarily agree with their method of delivery, their message was pretty loud and clear - they were supporting their right to (legally) bear arms. I guess it was not unlike a protest where people hold up signs that express their beliefs/opinions (they just happened to be holding guns instead of signs). I don't like driving by Planned Parenthood when there is a group of protesters holding up signs that display nasty/graphic images, but it's still within their rights to be there and the images are meant to provoke thought/emotion (just like holding a gun might illicit the same types of responses).
I believe that there is a gray area in regards to "open carry" in Texas. Carrying long guns in public is not explicitly forbidden by law, although it can be cited as Disorderly Conduct in some instances. It does not appear that they were using the guns in a threatening manner, so they had the right to protest just as the Gun Advocacy Safety group had the right to meet.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Emproctor2986|1384193436|3554375 said:

In what ways was it disrespectful to the victims of Sandy Hook?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Trying to disarm Americans is disgusting and disrespectful to the veterans who have fought to keep the U.S. free.
The gun gabbers exercised their rights to gather as did the gun owners.
Gathering together with rifles in public is totally legal in Texas.
Calling the cops would have not done any good other than getting the restaurant boycotted and picketed because no laws were broken by the gun owners.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A group of men gathering with automatic weapons and waiting for FOUR women to come out of the building is NOT supposed to be seen as anything other than "exercising their rights?" You're kidding, right? :shock:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1384194887|3554384 said:

In what ways was it disrespectful to the victims of Sandy Hook?

Because carrying guns to a gun safety advocacy meeting is meant to show intimidation, not respectful disagreement.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it would be nice if half of the web sites reporting this would bother to get the city right. It was in Arlington, not Dallas, and yes, there's a big damn difference.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1384195080|3554388 said:
Trying to disarm Americans is disgusting and disrespectful to the veterans who have fought to keep the U.S. free.
Calling the cops would have not done any good other than getting the restaurant boycotted and picketed because no laws were broken by the gun owners.

I disagree Karl. I see it as intimidation and hostility at a time when our citizens should be discussing such matters peacefully and thoughtfully.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh and for what it's worth, I am all for for responsible and Constitutionally protected gun ownership. I am however extremely dishearted at the callous way in which so many have chosen to demonstrate their pro gun agenda in the wake of a monumental tragedy.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1384196636|3554402 said:
Oh and for what it's worth, I am all for for responsible and Constitutionally protected gun ownership. I am however extremely dishearted at the callous way in which so many have chosen to demonstrate their pro gun agenda in the wake of a monumental tragedy.

Amen.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Emproctor2986|1384196083|3554395 said:

I disagree Karl. I see it as intimidation and hostility at a time when our citizens should be discussing such matters peacefully and thoughtfully.
It was peaceful not one person was harmed.
They could have left at any time, its not the gun owners fault they were a bunch of chickens.
I would have had no second thoughts about leaving the restaurant.

The right to gather peacefully and the right to bear arms are both constitutionally protected acts.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The anti-gunners left gun owners no choice but to respond when they decided to try and use it as an excuse to disarm Americans.
I am far more disgusted with the groups using it to advance their anti-gun agenda.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree with Karl.

FWIW, I see the women inside that building as the "terrorists" -- if you insist on name calling. The people in the parking lot are simply exercising their rights as set in the Constitution. The women in the building are trying to remove rights that are guaranteed in the Constitution -- the same rights our military has fought to protect.

Oh.... and if you'd like to see more of your idea of "terrorists", go look up the article about the students at Gonzaga who defended themselves against someone breaking into their home and almost got expelled for having the nerve to not allow themselves to be murdered.

You may be shocked to hear that a lot of people around you are probably exercising their right to concealed carry. You may also be shocked to hear that a lot of people who concealed carry don't think open carry is a great idea -- BUT that it is still a right in the Constitution and should be protected.... just like the right to carry offensive signs (I'm thinking those who protest against our military).

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I know I'm being ridiculous to bother to state my opinion here. Internet debating about the 2nd Amendment is as futile as debating about abortion rights, breast-feeding in public, or allowing your pet cat outdoors. (Yes, I've debating all of these online, I must be crazy!) No one's mind is ever changed - but here goes anyway.

I am NOT for constitutionally protected gun ownership as it has evolved today. I don't see "Sandy Hook" as a monumental tragedy worthy of more angst than the thousands of other deaths caused by people's abuse and/or stupidity of gun ownership. It was just one more thing, or rather 20 more little things, to add to the shame of what goes on in this country year after year.

I think it's great that these open-carry people chose to demonstrate the way they did. If we have a, in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous law that allows people to openly carry loaded weapons in public and on no one actually did it, people would be lulled into thinking that the notion is not really that big a deal. I hope the pro-gunners choose a day where they ALL get out in public with their constitutionally protected loaded guns so that the rest of us WAKE UP already.

I mean seriously, freakin' OPEN CARRY is legal! Is that not astounding? And to suggest that it's not a good idea is somehow disrespectful to Veteran's who "fought to keep us free." Oh please, what a stretch! First of all, not all wars were fought to keep us free and secondly, armed civilians do nothing to enhance our freedom, but sure do plenty to place us in danger. How tragic that just recently a veteran who survived THREE deployments in Afghanistan came home to be killed by a child wielding a legally registered handgun. And then the child killed himself. I guess Michael Landsberry made the ultimate sacrifice not for our "freedom" but for our insane 2nd Amendment.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1384197916|3554418 said:
Emproctor2986|1384196083|3554395 said:

It was peaceful not one person was harmed.
They could have left at any time, its not the gun owners fault they were a bunch of chickens.
I would have had no second thoughts about leaving the restaurant.

The right to gather peacefully and the right to bear arms are both constitutionally protected acts.

I suppose when one group of armed men gathers outside a small meeting of unarmed gun safety advocates we will have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "peaceful."

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1384198268|3554421 said:
Agree with Karl.

FWIW, I see the women inside that building as the "terrorists" -- if you insist on name calling.

Terrorists!

Wow.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Hold up, let's keep to the facts, folks...

"Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a gun safety advocacy group"

Doesn't say they're anti-gun at all, just pro gun safety (though the definition of safe gun use may be arguable)....

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snicklefritz|1384199112|3554431 said:

Doesn't say they're anti-gun at all, just pro gun safety (though the definition of safe gun use may be arguable)....

Exactly. Since when does "We want you to be safe with your guns" translate to "We want your guns taken away"?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

They are very strongly anti-gun.
The name is a sad joke.
Their idea of gun safety is a police state where only cops have guns.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emproctor2986|1384199251|3554433 said:

Exactly. Since when does "We want you to be safe with your guns" translate to "We want your guns taken away"?

See, now that makes too much sense. It's more rational for them to think someone is going to march into their house and take their guns. EVERYONE calling for gun safety is just trying to infringe upon their rights. :roll:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
A name like Demand Gun Sense, that doesn't sound to me like they're trying to take gun rights away-is that what they're doing? I've never heard of the group so I don't know. We SHOULD have gun sense, tho, yes? Most people don't, however. It's another area where everything seems to be "take em away" or "peel it out of my cold dead hands". Most things need a middle ground, in my eyes.

Having said that, I have my certificate for conceal carry and need to take it in to get my actual permit. And then I'll get my own hand gun, and then I will practice w/it and I will carry it.

But, for my own self, I demand gun sense, hence the practicing. Lots of people who carry don't have the sense God gave a snail, and plenty of people who don't carry have some sort of twisted notion that every single gun owner is one step away from being a whackadoo nut job letting loose in a crowd.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1384199524|3554435 said:
Emproctor2986|1384199251|3554433 said:

See, now that makes too much sense. It's more rational for them to think someone is going to march into their house and take their guns. EVERYONE calling for gun safety is just trying to infringe upon their rights. :roll:

Actually, there was some discussion of exactly that at one point. I've got to run make chicken soup so I don't have the time to look up links to point you to right now. Do a search. Actually read the information and see what that group is looking for.

"gun safety" is great -- in the context of safety classes but turns to infringement when groups start talking about requiring guns be kept at the police station (or locked at the range) and aren't allowed to be kept in the home.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1384199690|3554436 said:
A name like Demand Gun Sense, that doesn't sound to me like they're trying to take gun rights away-is that what they're doing? I've never heard of the group so I don't know. We SHOULD have gun sense, tho, yes? Most people don't, however. It's another area where everything seems to be "take em away" or "peel it out of my cold dead hands". Most things need a middle ground, in my eyes.

Having said that, I have my certificate for conceal carry and need to take it in to get my actual permit. And then I'll get my own hand gun, and then I will practice w/it and I will carry it.

But, for my own self, I demand gun sense, hence the practicing. Lots of people who carry don't have the sense God gave a snail, and plenty of people who don't carry have some sort of twisted notion that every single gun owner is one step away from being a whackadoo nut job letting loose in a crowd.

Middle ground would be great here!

Every person I know through my various range memberships and gun clubs agrees with exactly this. Classes are important. Safety is important. Practice is important.

FWIW, every place I have purchased a gun gave me a substantial discount on safety classes. They also gave me trigger locks for free with each purchase. I've watched them turn down a customer who wanted to buy but didn't want to learn safe handling.

RESPONSIBLE gun ownership is a good thing. The "gun safety" groups would have LOTS of gun owners supporting them if they tried to find this middle ground.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
hint they do have a website that has part of their agenda on it.
They avoid some of the more controversial things the leaders have said to make them sound less harmful.
But what is there is enough to brand them as grabbers.
But when it comes down to it they are Brady part5 backed by the same gun grabbin globalists trying to take advantage of a tragedy.

The real failing of the tragedy is the complete and utter failure of the mental health care system.
But that gets little discussion and no answers because the gun grabbers want to use it for their own gains.
Blame bits of plastic and metal to keep attention away from the real cause.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
and plenty of people who don't carry have some sort of twisted notion that every single gun owner is one step away from being a whackadoo nut job letting loose in a crowd.

While I don't think that, I do think that plenty of people who keep guns don't do *enough* to keep them away from their whackadoo relatives. And by enough, I mean preventing their mentally ill and/or just plain angry kin from having access to their guns AND recognizing that their kin/friends/strangers that may break in are whackadoo in the first place. Packrat, any whackadoos around you?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uhhh lessee...I think everybody's got a whackadoo someplace around them..my MIL but she's in a nursing home. We have a mental health institute in town here so..

Karl, I totally agree.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maria D|1384200741|3554446 said:
and plenty of people who don't carry have some sort of twisted notion that every single gun owner is one step away from being a whackadoo nut job letting loose in a crowd.

While I don't think that, I do think that plenty of people who keep guns don't do *enough* to keep them away from their whackadoo relatives. And by enough, I mean preventing their mentally ill and/or just plain angry kin from having access to their guns AND recognizing that their kin/friends/strangers that may break in are whackadoo in the first place. Packrat, any whackadoos around you?

mentally ill people are whackadoos???

It is words and attitudes like that that prevent many people from getting help who need it.
IL has cut mental health care by over $1.8 billion since 2009 because of that attitude.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1384200722|3554445 said:
hint they do have a website that has part of their agenda on it.
They avoid some of the more controversial things the leaders have said to make them sound less harmful.
But what is there is enough to brand them as grabbers.
But when it comes down to it they are Brady part5 backed by the same gun grabbin globalists trying to take advantage of a tragedy.

The real failing of the tragedy is the complete and utter failure of the mental health care system.
But that gets little discussion and no answers because the gun grabbers want to use it for their own gains.
Blame bits of plastic and metal to keep attention away from the real cause.

http://momsdemandaction.org

omg, these b*tches are crazy. They want to keep guns out of Staples! Just because there was a shooting at a Staples? How am I going to get my printer ink without my gun?

And what tragedy are they taking advantage of? Sandy Hook? Where the crazy kid's mom taught him how to shoot legally owned guns? How is that a failure of the mental health care system? 'Twas just a good 'ol gun loving mom having some quality time with her kid. Yes, there was some collateral damage, but that's the price we've all agreed to pay isn't it?

Same with Sgt. Michael Landsberry. How exactly was that a failure of the mental health system. Was the local mental hospital supposed to be informed that the sargeant's killer's parents kept a loaded handgun on top of their refrigerator?

It's such a GREAT thing that we have these true American's in Texas showing these crazy moms what's what. You know what would be really interesting? If a group of Americans that didn't look like this "true American" crowd, say some Black Americans or Mexican-Americans, were to demonstrate in such a way. I'll bet the cops would have been called then.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results