shape
carat
color
clarity

What the dog ate and other funny pet tales!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
With all the pets here on PS, I know you all have some funny stories (okay, so they probably werent funny at the time) to share! Eaten shoes... pantry raids... holes halfway to China in the backyard... kitchen remodeling... diamond ring snacks?!

About a month ago, our Mini Schnauzer decided she didnt like the linoleum in our kitchen any more, so she started to rip it up!
6.gif

346%3C%3A95%3C%3A%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D326%3B%3E772%3E7%3B2%3EWSNRCG%3D323382498473%3Cnu0mrj

And most recently, she found where we kept her big bag of dog food, drug it out of the closet and helped herself to about 4 days worth of food.... We hadnt noticed what she had done yet and when she wasnt interested in dinner, it scared the crap out of us (Ellie is ALWAYS interested in food). As punishment/help keep things moving, we took her on a 2 hour walk... ive never picked up after her so much on one walk!

346%3C%3A9655%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D3233%3E733%3E977%3E2324733%3A68898ot1lsi

Also, my cell phone is now covered in electrical tape after she grabbed it off the coffe table and thought it was a cool new chew toy...

If she wasnt so darn cute, she''d be dead by now!
11.gif
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our siamese used to chew wool, and as careful as we were one day he got hold of some on the sly and ate a good few inches of it. We only realised when he was crying pitifully on the litter box and saw a long piece hanging out of his bum
32.gif
I was terrified so made an emergency call to the vet - I knew not to pull on it - we took him and had it removed. That was scary. Thankfully he was none the worse for it, but after that all balls of wool were banished from the house. You would never believe a cat could be so sneaky.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right after we got the Demon Dog my husband called me at work one morning and said, "So, how much chocolate does a dog have to eat before it kills them?"

OH MY GOD?!?

We had left a bag of mixed mini candy bars on the kitchen counter and The Demon ripped open the bag and sampled one of each kind. He apparently decided that Almond Joys are his favorite because he then ate 4 more of those, and hid extras in the dirt of the large potted plants around the condo.

The vet said a dog has to eat 1 ounce of pure chocolate for every pound of body weight before it would kill them, and The Demon was pretty proficient about getting the wrappings off, so aside from the fact that he was pooping little bits of blue Almond Joy wrappers for a few days there were no ill effects whatsoever.

After that though we can no longer eat Almond Joys in the house because The Demon goes CRAZY!!! And I know this is bad bad bad but for his birthday (actualy his adoption day since we got him from the pound) we do share an Almond Joy with him every year as a special treat!

This is only one special story that makes him "The Demon"!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Several years ago, my parents left 1-lb bag of M&Ms on the dining room table when we left the house for a few hours. We came back to find that their pug had jumped on a chair, jumped on the table, tore open the bag, and ATE the ENTIRE bag of M&Ms herself. And we''re talking a small dog! The vet was more concerned about the sugar and caffeine than the chocolate itself, and ended up deciding to see how she did if we just waited it out. She shook for about 4 days and then was fine. Until the next time we accidentally left chocolate out...

We left a box of cherry cordials (is that what the choc covered cherries are called?) a little more accessible than it should have been, and we came back to find that the dogs ate the chocolate around the cherries, leaving the cherries. Which is how every member of my family eats them. Haha, the dogs fit right in. This was after the M&M incident though and involved less chocolate and three dogs, so it wasn''t quite as bad.

J and I are trying to be super careful with the puppy.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Hailey--Amercian Cocker Spaniel--ate a twist tie that had fallen on the floor; required bowel surgery.......

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha, this thread is funny! I''m glad to hear we are not such bad dog owners as we thought! My DH left a bag of Thomas bagels NY style with everything on the counter a few weeks ago, and when I got home from work our beagle had eaten about three of them...needless to say he wasn''t feeling very well the next day! I can''t even remember all the other crazy things he''s gotten into, there have been so many!
20.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
These stories are a riot! Like me, my cat Chloe is enamored with all things sparkly. So she ALWAYS finds any lone strand of tinsel or shiny curling ribbon and eats it. Of course, it comes right back up later, and you think she'd remember that. Nope. PRETTY SPARKLY SHINY...MUST EAT.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Not ate - but snorted..............

When Gus a.k.a "devil dog", was a pup of about 4 months, I noticed quite a bit of discharge from his nose. I thought he had a sinus infection & went to the vet. Much to my surprise & to the vet''s surprise, one of those packing peanuts up his nose! He must have snorted it! Fortunately, devil dog remained calm enough for the vet to remove it.

Our first dog ate a toad while in our yard. He was drunk as a skunk! The vet said it would wear off. He acted hung over later in the day.

Starset

Shiny_Rock
I know I've told this story elsewhere but I love it....
My 80lb rottweiler/chow chow mix loved to go for rides in the car. While living in Chicago he went with me to the local Jewel supermarket. Only this time, when I got out of the car, so did Jack and he started running right for the entrance.

What do supermarkets always have? Yep! Automatic doors. Crap!

I'm running as fast as I can, leash in hand, but Jack is heavy enough to set off the first set of automatic doors and then seamlessly trots right through the second set. It's a sunny day so I can't see inside the store well enough to see which way he goes. I make it inside and I don't see him. I hear a woman scream - moreso in my right ear so I start running the length of the store to the right. A baby starts crying, some college boys are laughing, people are backed up against the canned goods, stop! Big black dog in aisle 7 next to the pastas. It's like a showdown. We stare eye to eye in complete stillness. He knows I'm pissed and doesn't want to come towards Mom so he starts running away from me to the back of the store near the milk. I'm running and shouting, Jack! Halt! like I normally have commanding control over this dog and that this is just a freak coincidence that he's not listening to me. I turn the corner to see a stock boy holding him by his collar. I quickly click the leash and lead him out of the store with the lead about an inch higher than it is comfortable for him to walk. Kind of like dragging a doll by her ponytail. It was the walk of shame for me. It was Jack's last car ride - home.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 year old black lab has eaten about everything you can imagine, most recently half of my Night Falls Fast: Understanding Suicide book I had for work.

She''s also eaten frogs (many of them), our metallic backyard light (didn''t EAT, but chewed), the noses and tails of all her stuffed animals, I could go on all day, but have to get back to work now . . .
21.gif

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
A couple months ago we gave my dog a little stuffed lion from the dollar department at Target, he loves to rip these things up so for a dollar I don''t care if it takes him 5 minutes, he got the leg off pretty fast and then he loved to play with the leg, we noticed it was pretty small so we took it away from him if we weren''t there, within a few days the lion had been taken away and we forgot all about it.

Then the dog was acting really weird, like depressed, he wouldn''t sleep in bed which he always does, and we were just like what''s his problem? A few days later my fiance came home to puke on the floor with a lions leg in it, I couldn''t believe it had been in his stomach for days. My fiance always leaves messes for me to clean up since I had to have the dog, when I got home I cleaned up the puke. Within the next few days we noticed the dog was still acting weird, this time for like 5 days he was kinda anti social, not that bad so we were just like what''s his problem again. All of a sudden he starts to heave and out comes a lions foot, I am baffled at this point, how did he get the lion, how did he get the other foot off? I go to look for the lion which I hid in my nightstand, and it still has it''s one leg on, now I am even more baffled.

Turns out there was a little miscommunication, when I came home to clean up the original puke I thought my finace would have been smart enough to throw the foot away and just left the stain for me to clean up, but no he left the foot in the puke and didn''t notice the dog ate the puked up foot again, EWWWWW!!!! What is wrong with this mutt? This toy foot or leg sat in his belly twice for like 7 days total, he deserved the belly ache!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine tiger

A pair of pants big ones.

Mine tiger didnt like being in the house over night so I built him a large comfy dog house.
I figured id be nice and give him an old pair of pants to curl up on.
2 days later all that was left was the zipper and belt loops.

Fast forward a couple years:
Id left a shirt hanging on the kitchen chair and he was in the house and it was storming out.
Went in the other room to watch a movie and came back a few hours later and 3/4 of the shirt was gone.

Another time he grabbed the sock off my foot and started eating it.

Crazy dog just loved to eat cloth for some silly reason.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
WHY is that black thing on your lap instead of ME!? I think I''ll BITE it!

Seriously, just now. And yeah, that''s PS on the screen. I''ve wiped all of the slobber off of the keyboard and I''m now trying to balance both the pup and my computer in my lap.

Attachments

• DylanWantsLap.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 275

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Our mini dachshund, Woofie ate his way through 3 playstation controls, 4 pairs of shoes, all the tissue you could ever imagine, and he has a thing for underpants. He loves them. Not dirty ones but clean ones. He''ll just chew on them for hours. He also has a affinty for cupboard corners. His favorite snack treat is canned water chestnuts. I first started giving him frozen ones when we was teething, because he didn''t like ice, he went wild with these!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Pinscher baby ate my brand new sofa one night. Result, emergency surgery where they pulled pieces of cloth, thread & foam out of his gut through his mouth! Nothing like seeing an x-ray of your pooch upside down with sofa pieces blaring.

He was happy & fine a few hours later with a new bone & us with a big fat vet bill.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my cocker spaniel has done pretty well and kept it to actual food substances, but my boxer, that is another story! When she gets mad, she attacks something. When she is anxious. she rips something up. When she is bored, she chews something...You get the idea.

Autumn has:
Chewed/eaten parts of several pairs of shoes (usually my favorite)
Ruined two purses
Pulled up/partly consumed one lavender plant (planted the day before!) and a few other small bushes
Eaten Rose branches, thorns and all
Ripped up one paperback novel and numerous magazines
Gotten into and consumed garbage of all kinds, usually various papers and some styrofoam
ALMOST got my gradebook once (very scary) -- she had it half pulled out of my bag

It''s like she is a goat. And the funniest part is that when I got her, her previous owner assured me that she didn''t chew! I guess she just kept her in a kennel 23 hours a day.

One of the worst times was when my parents came to visit for the weekend and my mom wanted to have lobster for dinner two nights in a row. Monday morning, I put Autumn out in the yard for about an hour and when I brought her in, I immediately noticed that she smelled like low tide. Turns out my BF had put the garbage bag of lobster scraps and parts too close to the fence and Autumn had used her long, skinny legs to pull the trash through. Boy was she sick. And pooping out bits of lobster shell for days.

Another time, (similar story to DAH) I watched Autumn vomit from the other side of the room and freaked out because it looked like she was throwing up her intestines. Turns out it was the stuffed antennae from a ladybug toy that I had taken away TWO WEEKS before. Then she threw up two stuffed duck feet. I am amazed that we haven''t had to take her in for emergency surgery yet, but we have gotten much more careful about what toys we give her. And we had to stop giving her rawhide all together because she is just too fast and once it is halfway down her throat it is nearly immpossible to get her to give it up. Who knows how much of that she has swallowed. It is really a shame because that stuff is like doggie crack to her and keeps her occupied so we don''t strangle her.
3.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve told this one before, but it''s so funny/horrible!

We adopted our dog when he was 4 years old from Boxer Rescue, and he was already an accomplished excape artist! He kept jumping over the fence so we put the electric wire up there...so then he started going under, and we put the electic wire along the bottom on the outside of the fence.

He peed on the electric fence! All I could hear was Yipeyipeyipe and he came screaming throug the house (still peeing) and hid in the upstairs closet! It took weeks to get him to go outside in the yard, and he wouldn''t pee out there at all!

Finally, while I was getting ready to put my one uear old in the tub and had his diaper off...and he peed on the floor! Well the dog runs over and squirts on it! So, when my husband came home, I had him go pee on all the trees in the back yard...
31.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
These are HYSTERICAL.

(And Tawn, your new avatar makes me think your SP band is here.....will check it out next!!!)

And Starset, I feel your pain about Jack. I know that "walk of shame" from a naughty dog.
15.gif

In the 7th grade we had a new standard poodle puppy. That same year I did this extremely lame science project (not my forte) where I examined whether more bacteria was killed by heat or cold. (Involved growing some sort of benign yuck in agar and then freezing and heating, measuring, etc. I sucked at science. What a surprise.)

Anyway, when all was said and done the dishes of agar went in the trash cans outside........until Nellie decided to EAT THEM that is.

As she got older she had weird hair/skin stuff like random bald patches (to say nothing of her false pregnancies complete with lactation where she would corral all of her stuffed animals into a "nest" in the closet.) Probably unrelated, but my parents always liked to attribute her eccentricities to "the time that Nellie ate the science project."

Then there was Abby eating Easter. All of it. Chocolate, eggs, shells and all....... Not a happy girl. We came home from easter brunch to find her moaning under the piano. She was fine.

And Max eating a whole bottle of Matilda's doggy painkillers and having to have his stomach pumped.

ET AL............

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 10:04:55 AM
Author: Lorelei
Our siamese used to chew wool, and as careful as we were one day he got hold of some on the sly and ate a good few inches of it. We only realised when he was crying pitifully on the litter box and saw a long piece hanging out of his bum
32.gif
I was terrified so made an emergency call to the vet - I knew not to pull on it - we took him and had it removed. That was scary. Thankfully he was none the worse for it, but after that all balls of wool were banished from the house. You would never believe a cat could be so sneaky.

Hey Lorelei, I''m wondering why you''re not supposed to pull it out? I guess something bad could just happen inside
40.gif
My cat has done the same thing with eating curling ribbon and I think we pulled it out...
32.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results