shape
carat
color
clarity

What stones to use?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am planning on ordering some stacking rings with my kids birthstone colors in them. I know nothing about stones so I need some help. Could
you please tell me what stones I can use for rings for the colors I need?

I plan on doing rings by onegarnetgirl on etsy like the following:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_10&listing_id=21706207&ga_search_query=onegarnetgirl&ga_search_type=category_tags_jewelry

I need stones for the following months. Could you also recommend sizes like in mm so I know what to look for?

March - small circle for my yougest daughter - light blue
July - med. size square for my middle son - red (like ruby color)
Oct - bigest stone in an oval or rectangular shape - light pink

I also need them to be realitively inexpensive as far as real stones go.

Thanks...any help or other ideas you have would be appreciated.

Tyty

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
light blue = aquamarine, topaz, sapphire
red = garnet, spinel
light pink = tourmaline, sapphire, spinel

The sizes would depend on your preference but can range from 3 mm to 5 mm

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Light blue - I''d go with sapphire (those are called "ceylon type sapphires"); red - I think pyrope garnet would be the most suitable to represent a boy; light pink - I''d choose pink tourmaline, as it''s nice, girly and affordable.

There are a lot of light blue stones besides sapphires (topaz, tourmaline, aquamarine, zircon...), but all the rest have sort of a cooler shade of blue, while light sapphires can be purplish blue, which would be nice for a girl. As I wrote above, many stones can be red (ruby, tourmaline, spinel, bixbite, zircon, spessartite, rhodolite...), but pyrope garnets are the most affordable and unlike many, have a sharper, stronger sparkle with dark tone of color. When it comes to pink, the choices can be sapphires, rubies, topazes, spinels, morganites etc., but tourmalines are very easy to source, inexpensive, come mostly in gentle shades of pink (unlike many sapphires or rubies), and have a subtle sparkle (unlike spinels). So take your pick
2.gif

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Chrono and Mr. ma re!!! I now have some directions. This is actually one of my first jewelry projects so I think this will be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results