shape
carat
color
clarity

What specific talent do you wish you had?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in the car right now so please excuse any errors. It’s hard typing on my phone with the car moving but I’m trying to get out of my head for a bit. DH is driving so no worries lol.

Anyway I was just thinking about this topic. I wish I could sing but sadly I can’t at all. Sounds like a drowning puppy when I try. :confused2:

Ironically I play a few musical instruments and was pretty good. I was first clarinet for years in high school and also the NYC All Boro Band and we played at Carnegie Hall twice. But I digress.

What I really wish I could do is sing. But I have zero talent in that area. Music to me is a dreamy escape. Takes you all sorts of places. And singing is the ultimate in music IMO.
Oh I wish I could sing beautifully.

What talent do you wish you possessed?

9A2F85FB-3DD7-4E49-B228-6EAE99223555.gif

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Painting! I admire artists so much. Every time I see a dreamy landscape or a beautiful portrait, I can’t help but wish I had that kind of talent.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Ballet! I wish that I was a Prima Ballerina! Sounds premature, but It was also one of my dreams as a child. I actually was in ballet along with tap and jazz for 11 years from 3-14 years old. I quit because I made varsity dance team in high school and had also just signed with a modeling agency and those three along with school was far too much for me.

Anytime I see ballet now I just swoon and want to go put on pointe shoes. Lord knows If I did I'd look glamorous for one second before falling on my face and breaking my ankles!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Painting! I admire artists so much. Every time I see a dreamy landscape or a beautiful portrait, I can’t help but wish I had that kind of talent.

Yes. I would love this talent too. Both my parents are artists and paint and my sister is also quite talented in this area. Unfortunately this talent/skill skipped me. :/

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ballet! I wish that I was a Prima Ballerina! Sounds premature, but It was also one of my dreams as a child. I actually was in ballet along with tap and jazz for 11 years from 3-14 years old. I quit because I made varsity dance team in high school and had also just signed with a modeling agency and those three along with school was far too much for me.

Anytime I see ballet now I just swoon and want to go put on pointe shoes. Lord knows If I did I'd look glamorous for one second before falling on my face and breaking my ankles!

I’m with you. Ballet is so beautiful. Graceful and elegant and glamorous. Though the life of a prima ballerina is hard and not glamorous at all.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also love to be able to paint. I LOVE landscapes, seascapes, landscapes with sheep, etc. I did take painting lessons ten years ago...I had a class every week. I would paint in my home in the kitchen for four hours at a time...getting lost in thought as I painted. My mom came to live with me at that time and would stand behind me and scrutinize whatever I was painting. She would comment that it was “plain” or just shrug her shoulders. I just gave it up at that point. I told my husband that when we move again...I want a room for myself with good light and a good lock so I can paint without being critiqued..:roll2: My husband, on the other hand, would look at what I had painted that day and comment about how he really liked it. He’s a good liar because I wasn’t very good.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also love to be able to paint. I LOVE landscapes, seascapes, landscapes with sheep, etc. I did take painting lessons ten years ago...I had a class every week. I would paint in my home in the kitchen for four hours at a time...getting lost in thought as I painted. My mom came to live with me at that time and would stand behind me and scrutinize whatever I was painting. She would comment that it was “plain” or just shrug her shoulders. I just gave it up at that point. I told my husband that when we move again...I want a room for myself with good light and a good lock so I can paint without being critiqued..:roll2: My husband, on the other hand, would look at what I had painted that day and comment about how he really liked it. He’s a good liar because I wasn’t very good.

He’s also a good DH. A keeper ❤️

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sew. Nothing fancy-just the ability to make curtains, hem things, make some neat craft projects.
Minor carpentry work and handyman stuff.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh man, seascapes!!! Those are my absolute favorites. :mrgreen:

You're hubby sounds like a real keeper. :love:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

You know, I think you should consider trying it again. There is great benefit to the soul with art. The therapy doesn't equate to excellence. I "dabble" a bit in art. Years ago I made a friend who was consumed by painting. My younger, vainer-self secretly thought I had more talent. I sort of inwardly winced at some of his art.

Time went on and every year or two I would get a copy of another of his paintings. He worked so hard at it and I was a slouch. You may see where this story if going but his work improved and flourished. My "art muscle" shrank through neglect. He (at last view) was doing FABULOUS work! I never progressed because I never practiced.

If you love it, do it...and ignore the critics!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In terms of a practical talent, I’d love to be able to sing. Proper Whitney-type lungs. It strikes me as so therapeutic and enjoyable.

In terms of life-skills/personality talent, I’d love to be able to put people at ease and be one of those easy, warm chatterers. I’m reserved and introverted and, whilst I know that puts people off in conversation, try as I might I’m just not naturally at ease chatting to most people, much as I’d love to be.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
In terms of a practical talent, I’d love to be able to sing. Proper Whitney-type lungs. It strikes me as so therapeutic and enjoyable.

In terms of life-skills/personality talent, I’d love to be able to put people at ease and be one of those easy, warm chatterers. I’m reserved and introverted and, whilst I know that puts people off in conversation, try as I might I’m just not naturally at ease chatting to most people, much as I’d love to be.

@lissyflo Being a good listener is much better than being a good chatterbox..I’m sure you do fine...I don’t like making small talk with strangers in a party situation...I find it awkward...but I can chat it up with people in the supermarket. No one is perfect.
BTW As for singing like Whitney Houston...I have an adult son with Autism. We both love Adele..When I’m driving him to activities we sing along with her. We are LOUD..Thank goodness the windows are closed because we both stink at singing! It’s great..

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish my brain was wired for languages but it really isn't - a family friend once said he knew someone who worked for the EU or the UN, and she was fluent in about 7 languages and could get by in about 19 in all (because some are similar to others). I'd love to be able to go anywhere and have some ability to converse and not feel at the mercy of those who might do me wrong while I don't understand what's happening :(

Other than that... singing, the ability to speak in public, having self-confidence, having a concentration span that lasted more than a few minutes....

All these things are things I wish I was better at!

Oh, look... Squirrel!!

:lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've noticed a lot of us PSers are introverted.

That's a talent/trait I wish I had too. I'm totally introverted and I get horrible social anxiety. Needless to say, I'm never the life of the party. :shifty:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's a talent/trait I wish I had too. I'm totally introverted and I get horrible social anxiety. Needless to say, I'm never the life of the party. :shifty:

It’s definitely a restriction in life in a lot of ways, isn’t it. It’s actually one of the things I find hardest about having children too - the very traits that you’re most likely to pass down to them genetically (introversion, reserved, etc) are the ones that you’re least well placed to help them overcome as they’re your own weak points. Although as @Mamabean wisely said, the best way to tackle them is to think of the flip-side positives that we have - good listeners, generally good at planning as we’ve assessed a situation while others are chatting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo Being a good listener is much better than being a good chatterbox..I’m sure you do fine...I don’t like making small talk with strangers in a party situation...I find it awkward...but I can chat it up with people in the supermarket. No one is perfect.
BTW As for singing like Whitney Houston...I have an adult son with Autism. We both love Adele..When I’m driving him to activities we sing along with her. We are LOUD..Thank goodness the windows are closed because we both stink at singing! It’s great..

It’s definitely a restriction in life in a lot of ways, isn’t it. It’s actually one of the things I find hardest about having children too - the very traits that you’re most likely to pass down to them genetically (introversion, reserved, etc) are the ones that you’re least well placed to help them overcome as they’re your own weak points. Although as @Mamabean wisely said, the best way to tackle them is to think of the flip-side positives that we have - good listeners, generally good at planning as we’ve assessed a situation while others are chatting.

I definitely agree that listening is a (lost) talent. We learn so much about the other person when we listen and that is a skill any of us can learn. I think being a good listener is way more valuable than being a good talker. Though yes it is nice to be able to put the other person at ease when first meeting someone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just wanted to add this can be learned. I definitely worked at this and can now act like I am at ease and chat with people even when I am not feeling it if you kwim. But of course being in my profession dealing with people all the time I had to get good at it. And when I dont feel it I fake it and it works. It is a skill you can learn if you want to I think.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish my brain was wired for languages but it really isn't - a family friend once said he knew someone who worked for the EU or the UN, and she was fluent in about 7 languages and could get by in about 19 in all (because some are similar to others). I'd love to be able to go anywhere and have some ability to converse and not feel at the mercy of those who might do me wrong while I don't understand what's happening :(

Other than that... singing, the ability to speak in public, having self-confidence, having a concentration span that lasted more than a few minutes....

All these things are things I wish I was better at!

Oh, look... Squirrel!!

:lol:

Haha I feel you on the concentration issue. Guilty. I blame all these devices we have that give us constant stimulation if we allow it to. I wasn't like this before computers and iphones and iPads etc. I used to have good concentration. :oops:

And I am with you. I think being fluent in many languages and getting to work for the UN and travel is a dream job for some.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're the life of the PS party @elle_71125 and we adore you! You are perfect the way you are!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I think you should consider trying it again. There is great benefit to the soul with art. The therapy doesn't equate to excellence. I "dabble" a bit in art. Years ago I made a friend who was consumed by painting. My younger, vainer-self secretly thought I had more talent. I sort of inwardly winced at some of his art.

Time went on and every year or two I would get a copy of another of his paintings. He worked so hard at it and I was a slouch. You may see where this story if going but his work improved and flourished. My "art muscle" shrank through neglect. He (at last view) was doing FABULOUS work! I never progressed because I never practiced.

Yasss! @Mamabean, Do it for you. Enjoy it for you. I have a good friend who decided to cultivate her artistic talent later in life and she took and is still taking all sorts of painting and drawing classes and even spends months in Spain now taking art classes there. She exhibited her work at the Brooklyn Museum of art and other museums. All after the age of 60. Woohoo! She rocks! And she did it for her enjoyment only.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'll admit it..... I can't dance.
I'm terrible at it. Two left feet and all that. I can't even do the stupid chicken dance at a wedding. I step on my own feet and everyone else's!
So maybe that's a talent that I wish I had.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

I will one day @moneymeister...That’s a sure thing!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'll admit it..... I can't dance.
I'm terrible at it. Two left feet and all that. I can't even do the stupid chicken dance at a wedding. I step on my own feet and everyone else's!
So maybe that's a talent that I wish I had.

Oh boy, I’m with you there.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another who wishes I could sing, I have a voice like a cracked fog horn!

My only talent is that I can carry colour in my head, by that I mean I can look at colour and know whether something will go with it.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another who wishes I could sing, I have a voice like a cracked fog horn!

My only talent is that I can carry colour in my head, by that I mean I can look at colour and know whether something will go with it.
That’s awesome @Austina! I’m sure that’s not your only talent! I can think of many!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't dance.
I can sing, but not in some styles I admire, like the blues.
When I try it's as pathetic as Kenny trying to dance.

Stationed overseas in the 1970s I was in a 6-member band that played in the clubs of our US base.
We had wide appeal by doing many styles of music.
3 of us were white, and 3 black.

When rehearsing I can't count how many times my 3 friends told me, "Kenny, you're playing it too white".
Not trying to discuss race here, just reporting what happened.
There's an empty space in my brain where that part of music and all dance come from.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Math. I stink at math. I am great at logic though. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results