shape
carat
color
clarity

What smells take you back your childhood?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whenever I smell mom's favorite perfume.

ldt.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stinky tofu from street hawkers just around the corner from the family home where I grew up.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg, that too!! and baked yams wrapped in newspaper, you can smell the caramelized sugar.

Not yam, however, sweet potatoes for me! I was taught to pick the small skinny ones with caramelised sugar oozing out of the skins, yummy!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandfather: Dior Eau sauvage

Probably my favourite of my dad's scents that he wore when he had not had a drink.

The smell of alcohol on other people when I have not had a drink myself would remind me of him.

DK :confused2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chlorine from the pool. I was on the swim team and we also had a pool in our backyard so swimming was part of my every day life summer, fall, winter and spring. And the smell of chlorine brings me back to my childhood.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread!

My grandparents didn't have central heating in their home, just a fire (later a gas fire) in their living room. So when it got really cold, they would use portable heaters, and the smell of dust heating up really takes me back. Ditto the smell of a gas cooker in a cold kitchen.

I miss them.

My mother's favorite perfume also takes me back - Samsara by Guerlain.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oil of Olay and Le Jardin (I believe made by Max Factor), my mom wore both religiously and I still remember them.

Also the smell of an Italian Bakery, there was one on the corner and I would go in as a kid to get a lemon ice with my dad.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had forgotten about Oil of Olay - my grandmother used that! Reminds me of her, too.

I read somewhere once that the sense most closely linked with memory is smell, not sight or sound.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s going to bother me endlessly that bakery is capitalized in my post but I can’t edit it so…

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fresh mown grass.
Dad used to cut the grass every Saturday morning.
I don't get to smell that too much here in the desert. Most of us have gravel instead of lawns!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Stinky tofu from street hawkers just around the corner from the family home where I grew up.

I took my kids to Taiwan when they were around 5 and 7, and they were so appalled by the smell of stinky tofu stands, I have videos of then running around, holding their noses, screaming and giggling......brings back memories!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This gum..It tasted horrible but we chewed it like it was delicious. I have no idea why! Haha
FA1F2883-0F1B-4BCF-B7F7-C42FC31A0A4D.jpeg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom wore "Charlie" perfume
The smell of wood burning outside, we used to go to my grandmother's farm on the weekends in Ky and it reminds me of her home.
The smell of pinto beans cooking or homemade fried chicken, reminds me of my mom's house.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My mom wore "Charlie" perfume
The smell of wood burning outside, we used to go to my grandmother's farm on the weekends in Ky and it reminds me of her home.
The smell of pinto beans cooking or homemade fried chicken, reminds me of my mom's house.

Yes! My mom used to make homemade fried chicken for special occasions like our birthday....definitely recall that yummy smell.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Fresh Pine forest after a rain or in the early morning before the dew is gone. I spent my childhood and young adult summers in McCall, Idaho and there is nothing quite as invigorating to me as the smell of a forest, especially after a rain.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Smells of morning flowers and watered grass. When we wake up early and go for a walk with our doggie. Reminds me of summer time when I was a child.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cody face powder. The smell is my grandmother.

The older boxes were so much prettier than the ones now.

Screenshot_20210723-133231_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Smells of morning flowers and watered grass. When we wake up early and go for a walk with our doggie. Reminds me of summer time when I was a child.

I almost said I loved the smell of fresh cut grass. Then I remembered I was the one who had to cut it... ;)2

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cody face powder. The smell is my grandmother.

The older boxes were so much prettier than the ones now.

Screenshot_20210723-133231_Samsung Internet.jpg

My grandma had the same one!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Coal smoke on a frosty night outside
We never had a fireplace but there were lots of other neighbours who did

the smell of oil skin/ drizzabone style parkers/ rain jackets - i love that, smells like my Dad's

Timber in a rack - smells like Dad's work

Coconut sun screen - smells like summer when i was a kid

the smell of chlorine as you water the garden on a hot day - smells like summer

the smell of summer rain coming especially on tarmac

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smell of the ocean and coppertone at Ocean City , NJ and my grandmothers Avon Gardenia perfume. My grandmother had Oil of Olay and I have been using Olay since I was 16.

Attachments

• 203798AC-9070-4E53-8B25-5979CF962459.jpeg
    203798AC-9070-4E53-8B25-5979CF962459.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 26

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chlorine from the pool. I was on the swim team and we also had a pool in our backyard so swimming was part of my every day life summer, fall, winter and spring. And the smell of chlorine brings me back to my childhood.

I can relate. We were big swimmers as kids.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results