shape
carat
color
clarity

What size thread for these pearls?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi pearl experts!

I'm buying some 6.5-7mm pearls with an 0.8mm hole in my first attempt to make a necklace.

Silk thread seems to come in a whole range of sizes from around 0.3mm upwards.

What size thread should I get for these pearls?

Thanks!!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on making your first necklace! You will soon get the hang of it.

I switched to using Beader's Secret (brand name) years ago. For the size pearls/drill holes you describe (which are the most common) I use the medium weight (30) thread which is 0.37mm. If you are sure you want to use silk specifically, that may help you determine size.

Here is why I prefer this thread. It's a silky, strong polyester thread that comes in a variety of colors and weights. It's really perfect for beginners as it's so easy to use.

• The knot slides into the right place when you pull the doubled thread apart, without the need to use tweezers or any special tools. Silk is trickier; I used to get knots in the wrong place often, and I could not pick them apart. With this synthetic thread, should you somehow get a knot in the wrong place (which can happen if you allow the thread to get twisted; that is preventable, with care) , you can usually pick it out.
• Silk stretches over time, but I have not found this synthetic thread to stretch.
• You really should not get silk wet, but water doesn't harm this synthetic thread; I can even wash my pearls if they need it.

If buying from Australia is more convenient, I recommend Beaders Secret brand polyester thread from this shop:

If buying from the USA is more convenient, you can get Serafil polyester thread from PatriciaSaabDesigns on Etsy (all the benefits I described above apply to Serafil). Pattye can hep you decide color if you are not sure. She also sells kits for beginners that include French wire (gimp) and flexible wire needles. I have been buying this thread from Pattye for many years and highly recommend her.

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have used Beaders Secret for years and years. Both are excellent sellers so go for it depending on your location ! Fabulous selection of colours as well if you branch out into other colours of pearls .

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
@pearlsngems it looks like those threads don't come with a needle attached like others I'd been looking at.

This may be a dumb question but how do you attach a needle? Do you just loop it through like in normal sewing - will it fit through the pearls like that?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, you thread the flexible wire needle the same as you would a sewing needle.

There is an easy way to test if your thread will pass through the end pearls (I test the end 4 pearls on each end of the necklace-- 8 pearls total). Pass the threaded needle twice through the end pearls-- i.e. pass through once, and then double back to pass it through a second time, so that there are 4 threads going through the drill hole at the same time. If that works you are good to go. If it won't pass through, then read on...

Pearls are drilled simultaneously from both ends, so there is a spot in the center of the drill hole that is narrower than the rest of the drill hole. If the thread gets hung up, that is usually where it will happen.
Here are 4 ways to solve the problem.
1. use a finer weight needle (I use Fine anyway)
2. use a lighter weight thread (but this may make the knots too small so that they slip into the drill holes)
3. choose different end pearls with slightly wider holes (not always preferable if the pearls graduate at all)
4. widen the center of the drill hole (which is what I usually do.)

There is an easy way to widen the narrow spot using these:
https://www.amazon.com/Model-Craft-PBR2194-Cutting-0-6-2-0mm/dp/B001JJZ76I?th=1.
These mini cutting broaches are basically long razors in a triangular arrangement, with a handle. (Sharp, so handle with great care!) Choose one that fits inside the hole. Hold it by the handle and twirl it inside the drill hole, and it shaves the inside wall of the drill hole a bit. Voilà! =)2

I wrote a detailed tutorial on how to string your pearls on the other pearl forum. If you google "Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro" you will find it. (Here on PS we are not allowed to post links to other forums.)

Last edited:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
So if you thread a needle, you end up with doubled thread - 2 strands through each pearl and 4 strands through the end pearls?

When making an endless necklace with no clasp, do you also double the thread or use a single strand (and end up with 2 strands through the end pearls where you connect both ends together)?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if you thread a needle, you end up with doubled thread - 2 strands through each pearl and 4 strands through the end pearls?

When making an endless necklace with no clasp, do you also double the thread or use a single strand (and end up with 2 strands through the end pearls where you connect both ends together)?

"Yes" to your first question.

I address making endless necklaces in my tutorial, beginning at page 3, post #42. I use doubled thread and the pearls that were the first and last to be strung (beginning and end pearls) have 4 strands through them.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for all your help!

I've just placed the orders for my pearls and some Beaders Secret, tweezers, and needles (just guessed on the size for those).

I'm excited and can't wait for it all to arrive!

ArnulfoBrown

Rough_Rock
Yes, you thread the flexible wire needle the same as you would a sewing needle.

There is an easy way to test if your thread will pass through the end pearls (I test the end 4 pearls on each end of the necklace-- 8 pearls total). Pass the threaded needle twice through the end pearls-- i.e. pass through once, and then double back to pass it through a second time, so that there are 4 threads going through the drill hole at the same time. If that works you are good to go. If it won't pass through, then read on...

Pearls are drilled simultaneously from both ends, so there is a spot in the center of the drill hole that is narrower than the rest of the drill hole. If the thread gets hung up, that is usually where it will happen.
Here are 4 ways to solve the problem.
1. use a finer weight needle (I use Fine anyway)
2. use a lighter weight thread (but this may make the knots too small so that they slip into the drill holes)
3. choose different end pearls with slightly wider holes (not always preferable if the pearls graduate at all)
4. widen the center of the drill hole (which is what I usually do.)

There is an easy way to widen the narrow spot using these:
https://www.amazon.com/Model-Craft-PBR2194-Cutting-0-6-2-0mm/dp/B001JJZ76I?th=1 papa's pizzeria
These mini cutting broaches are basically long razors in a triangular arrangement, with a handle. (Sharp, so handle with great care!) Choose one that fits inside the hole. Hold it by the handle and twirl it inside the drill hole, and it shaves the inside wall of the drill hole a bit. Voilà! =)2

I wrote a detailed tutorial on how to string your pearls on the other pearl forum. If you google "Stringing on Serafil, Beaders Secret & Power Pro" you will find it. (Here on PS we are not allowed to post links to other forums.)

In the 4th way, you can refer to "widen the center of the drill hole". What tools do you usually use to expand it?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the 4th way, you can refer to "widen the center of the drill hole". What tools do you usually use to expand it?

See @pearlsngems’ post #6 in this thread.

I am very happily using those same broaches, purchased some months ago on her recommendation.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
@pearlsngems Could I please get your expertise on a question?

My thread etc arrived and I've been practising to make an endless necklace using your tutorial from the other thread.

I have a question about finishing off. You string the first few pearls on without knotting and then at the end, go back through them and knot. My question is, when knotting at that point, is there a way to include the original un-knotted strand in that knot? Or is the knot supposed to sit separately, next to, the original strand? Please see photo!

pearls.JPG

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You definitely should include the original unknotted thread in the knot.

Form the knot loop around the original thread, not next to it as I see in your photo. This will result in a few knots being a bit larger than all the other knots, but as they are at the back of your neck that is ok. (When one is using a clasp, the end few pearls have larger than usual knots between them, for the same reason.)

If the photo is of your actual necklace you should be able to unpick that knot and redo it, over the other thread.

Last edited:

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Updating this thread to say I did it :razz:
Pretty pleased with how it turned out! The knots at the ends aren't perfect and I'm not completely sure I tied them correctly, I guess time will tell haha.

@pearlsngems thank you for all your help! IMG_1556.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That looks great!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results