carat
color
clarity

What size for second holes?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Psers..

I have been struggling a bit on deciding what size stones I should do for my second holes. My current studs are bezel set 5mm stones. I really want to get a pair for my second holes. What size would you do? Would you also bezel set the second pair ? Or would you prefer a slightly different setting like four prong or a simple martini setting for these smaller pair?

Oh and would you just do presets at this size or hand pick?

If presets? with whom? BGD, Whiteflash, James Allen, Blue Nile?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
nobody? :boohoo:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if the first set is 5mm, maybe 2mm? I can see it go either way, but it depends on the type of person that you are. For some, they would need to have bezels for symmetry. others would go with a 4 or even 6 prong setting. The show me your studs thread on SMTB has some excellent ideas.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1475985316|4084950 said:
if the first set is 5mm, maybe 2mm? I can see it go either way, but it depends on the type of person that you are. For some, they would need to have bezels for symmetry. others would go with a 4 or even 6 prong setting. The show me your studs thread on SMTB has some excellent ideas.

A 2mm diamond is .03 right? Thats the size you recommend for the second holes? That seems too tiny don't you think? Hmm I know what you mean. I might be a symmetry girl and need the bezels. There is a part of me though that doesn't like matchy... This is trickier than I thought it would/should be.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, hathalove - we have almost identical situations!

My bezel set cushions (very rounded) are exactly 5mm and I have recently had a small stud made for my outer hole. The stone is 13 pts (the 5mm stones are .61 and .62 respectively) and it 2.8mm unset. I'll attach a few photos, tho I have o ear shots. I'm very happy with the proportions and it definitely was the right combo for me. I love the way they all look!

Hope this helps! :wavey:

ETA In my opinion, a bezel set stone for your outer hole is the ONLY style that goes. I wore a prong set stud for a little bit, but it grated every time I put it in next to my bezels and never looked right, so in the end I ended up not wearing any of them. So bezeling the outer hole mini stud definitely gets my vote!

img_12889.jpg

img_12890.jpg

img_12891.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TRY THEM ON.

We can say what we prefer for two diff size proportions next to each other but it may not look good on YOU. Things to also consider: how large your ears and lives are, -!: how far apart the two piercing holes are from each other. I have 0.25ctw martini studs and can't go any larger because theyd rub on my primary earrings. While I can handle more bling like I other, my ears can't.

LadyMCh

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have 0.30ctw studs in my "second" hole, which is actually placed more where a third hole would be because of the problem madelise mentions about rubbing against the earrings in the primary hole. The studs in my primary hole are 0.80ctw, but will be upgraded in the next year to about 2.2ctw (plus jackets!), and I often wear 6-7mm pearls in my primary as well. When I had a "second" hole (which I have since let grow up), they most definitely rubbed against my pearls, so I ended up not wearing them a lot or together to protect the pearls. If you're going to have 2 sets of diamond studs, I would definitely put them in the same type of setting. It would bother me otherwise! Both of my sets are martini, and I had one reset to match the other.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1475986441|4084954 said:
Arcadian|1475985316|4084950 said:

A 2mm diamond is .03 right? Thats the size you recommend for the second holes? That seems too tiny don't you think? Hmm I know what you mean. I might be a symmetry girl and need the bezels. There is a part of me though that doesn't like matchy... This is trickier than I thought it would/should be.

It might be tiny but as some have mentioned, it can also depend on where the 2nd hole is. I would only be able to do about 2mm considering where the 2nd and third holes are. Currently on those holes I wear small baby gold earrings. its about the only thing that works. Otherwise would not bother wearing anything on those holes with my current pair (5.4mm).

By the same token, I've seen some people have some very small but really nice studs. It would depend on what you want. I have no preference on the 2nd hole if it matches the studs are not, but thats a personal choice IMO.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 5mm for my first hole and 4mm for my second. Both sets are pronged, not bezel. I like having only the small bit of difference but my earlobes are small so anything bigger than 5mm is too close to the edge of the lobe. I don't like that look on me.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First Thank You all for responding!

As always you all give me some things to think about. So first off I have very very sensitive ears. Thats probably why I was never much an earring girl. I would put things in and want to rip them out after an hour from the irritation. I did cut my hair dramatically recently and decided I wanted to give earrings a try again. I bought a 5mm pair so more like 6mm with the bezels (.92ctw BGD Signature). I took the risk and bought them and turns out I LOVE them!!! Like never take them out except to clean a few times a week. So now hence the questions for the second holes.

It creeps me out to "try" on earrings in stores or friends or whatever. Might be my OCD but it makes my skin crawl for some reason. I have to own them before they go in :snooty: Because of the sensitivity I don't put anything in that isn't gold or plat. So I just have to risk it. Meaning pick a size and hope that I love them just like these first pair of diamond studs. I think you all are right to stick with the same style so bezels it is. Plus these are super comfortable and I feel nothing!

So I guess my question was more of a what size do you think compliments the first size well. It never crossed my mind on if they would actually fit or if there was room to fit. lol So as a test I did put both of my studs in one ear (both sides of course) and they fit side by side with a tiny bit of space between. They don't touch each other. That being said I didn't think they looked good and wouldn't want the same size in my seconds. It must be the spacing of my piercings because I don't think I have particular large earlobes. They seem normal?!

I am having a tough time deciding between .25ctw .30ctw or .40ctw even .50ctw Which of these compliments the first set without looking like too much or too little. I wonder too sometimes if a second hole should have more of a dot of sparkle instead of a stronger more notable piece? like should they be much smaller like .20ctw or .16ctw. Like a sweet little something? What size would look sweet and feminine?

No one answered the preset question... Is it better to do preset at this size?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1476053910|4085156 said:
First Thank You all for responding!

As always you all give me some things to think about. So first off I have very very sensitive ears. Thats probably why I was never much an earring girl. I would put things in and want to rip them out after an hour from the irritation. I did cut my hair dramatically recently and decided I wanted to give earrings a try again. I bought a 5mm pair so more like 6mm with the bezels (.92ctw BGD Signature). I took the risk and bought them and turns out I LOVE them!!! Like never take them out except to clean a few times a week. So now hence the questions for the second holes.

It creeps me out to "try" on earrings in stores or friends or whatever. Might be my OCD but it makes my skin crawl for some reason. I have to own them before they go in :snooty: Because of the sensitivity I don't put anything in that isn't gold or plat. So I just have to risk it. Meaning pick a size and hope that I love them just like these first pair of diamond studs. I think you all are right to stick with the same style so bezels it is. Plus these are super comfortable and I feel nothing!

So I guess my question was more of a what size do you think compliments the first size well. It never crossed my mind on if they would actually fit or if there was room to fit. lol So as a test I did put both of my studs in one ear (both sides of course) and they fit side by side with a tiny bit of space between. They don't touch each other. That being said I didn't think they looked good and wouldn't want the same size in my seconds. It must be the spacing of my piercings because I don't think I have particular large earlobes. They seem normal?!

I am having a tough time deciding between .25ctw .30ctw or .40ctw even .50ctw Which of these compliments the first set without looking like too much or too little. I wonder too sometimes if a second hole should have more of a dot of sparkle instead of a stronger more notable piece? like should they be much smaller like .20ctw or .16ctw. Like a sweet little something? What size would look sweet and feminine?

No one answered the preset question... Is it better to do preset at this size?

Thats up to you and how picky you are. If I had to choose another set of diamond studs for the 2nd holes, I'd likely go back to IDJ, meaning I would not do preset. I have some presets which while nice, If I had a bit more under my belt in terms of diamond cuts for earrings, I could have done better. I still like them though and will reset them in rose gold when time permits.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I'd consider preset at that size. But with bezels in the first hole. I would be fine without bezels for the tiny ones. There are times you might want to wear pearls or something in your main holes, and a little sparkle in the second hole is all you need. I probably would not do bezels so they'd work well with any earrings.

You could do these in martini's or 4 prongs and get nice quality diamonds:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-319.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-357.htm

I'd probably go for platinum if your ears are sensitive.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1476109829|4085298 said:
Sure, I'd consider preset at that size. But with bezels in the first hole. I would be fine without bezels for the tiny ones. There are times you might want to wear pearls or something in your main holes, and a little sparkle in the second hole is all you need. I probably would not do bezels so they'd work well with any earrings.

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-319.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/4-prong-basket-diamond-earrings-357.htm

What size would you recommend for presets in second holes? .25ctw or .50ctw? It doesn't say in the description but WF is using ACA melee for the presets right? Still excellent cut stones?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1476116597|4085325 said:
diamondseeker2006|1476109829|4085298 said:

What size would you recommend for presets in second holes? .25ctw or .50ctw? It doesn't say in the description but WF is using ACA melee for the presets right? Still excellent cut stones?

I think .25 each is too big for the second hole, so I would go with the .25 ctw. That is about the size my daughter wears in hers. She just has tiny 4 prong settings and all you really see is a little sparkly diamond! That size works well even when you go up in size in your larger studs. I think .15 each (.30 ctw) is fine, too, if you have someone like IDJ make them. I think WF uses excellent cut melee in preset studs, but I don't necessarily think they are ACA when it doesn't specify it.

Luxxy

Rough_Rock
This thread has really helped me. I struggled with that myself because I was unsure about the size to use in my second holes too. Now I've decided to get smaller ones where you just see the stone and not wear the same size on both holes.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I am having a hard time struggling with getting a second earlobe piercing. I have so many earrings, and just wanted to try and take it up a notch.
I'm not sure what size diamond stud, or setting to get... if I do it.
Do you like the look, or is it dated??

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
2EE46B65-C0C0-47FB-9BCA-39624C5B4A8A.jpeg These are my Brian Gavin bezels. The larger one is .50ct and the smaller one .20ct. I feel like they are the perfect size to be worn together.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohh I’ve just realised this is an old thread!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Ohh I’ve just realised this is an old thread!
Yes, it is an old thread, but it"s a new dilemma for me!!! I love your bezels!!!!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone else have pics?

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s mine. They are very small- .07 and I think .05 each.
F5E6F7C2-3B58-47D5-B760-907BEDB10A6E.png

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5278.JPG

.94, .63, .25 IMG_5295.JPG

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This would be a great show me the bling thread!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
This is (older) thread is helping me a great deal!

I am looking for my second set to go into the second piercing!!!!

@Maisie- I love BGD milgrained bezels!!!! And, I love your set: they are great proportions!!!!! :love:
I have 5.3mm stones in the first piercings and, initially thought 3mm (0.1ct) for my second piercings.
I was at a B&M store yesterday doing my research (but, I could not try them on to take a picture, and it makes sense for hygienic purposes); she told me that I could go up to 0.2ct without too much of a problem. She didn't have any 0.1ct stones for comparison...I couldn't really tell as i was holding the earring next to the other piercing and viewing in the mirror. My initial thoughts were that the 0.2ct might have looked too much/ too heavy to my eye. And, then I thought DSS might set it! LOL.... But, I have to say: your picture here with similar dimensions that I am dealing with helps me a great deal!!!!!

THANX!!!:appl:

@ringo865 WOW!!!!! amazing graduations!!!! are they the ct weight of each of the stones???? Just wow!!!! :love:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

@Maisie- I love BGD milgrained bezels!!!! And, I love your set: they are great proportions!!!!! :love:
I have 5.3mm stones in the first piercings and, initially thought 3mm (0.1ct) for my second piercings.
I was at a B&M store yesterday doing my research (but, I could not try them on to take a picture, and it makes sense for hygienic purposes); she told me that I could go up to 0.2ct without too much of a problem. She didn't have any 0.1ct stones for comparison...I couldn't really tell as i was holding the earring next to the other piercing and viewing in the mirror. My initial thoughts were that the 0.2ct might have looked too much/ too heavy to my eye. And, then I thought DSS might set it! LOL.... But, I have to say: your picture here with similar dimensions that I am dealing with helps me a great deal!!!!!

@ringo865 WOW!!!!! amazing graduations!!!! are they the ct weight of each of the stones???? Just wow!!!! :love:

I'm so glad you found them useful! :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Idk if you have a Claire's in your neck of the woods, but it's an accessory store geared towards the youngins. Buy a set of studs to try, like these.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FAF96CDB-AFEA-4F82-B8A9-C8C3D95F52EE.jpeg 98248A95-9F4A-47EA-831A-FA515CF89B3A.jpeg 895DC710-8E9D-4008-90E0-28B670B7EE73.jpeg 8152D3CA-1526-439C-9769-A00EA32B3283.jpeg D4821F1C-7D73-4B8E-91B4-A4A07670A0FA.jpeg 8FE22385-9E9F-4382-9E9F-2BFBFF8A5C1B.jpeg
Hi Greg,
I bought a pair of H- .22’s from BGD for my niece. They’re sitting pretty in the safety deposit box & all I have are a few pics which aren’t great. I don’t know how many mm’a the 4 flaps add but they are not bulky but still have a presence. The settings are from Stuller & they had to order them in as they are not a choice on the website. The pic from Stuller do not do these settings justice. They are darling earrings! BGD set them so delicately but they still have a bezel to round them out.
Suffice it to say, the little .20 I had set in a standard bunny ear pendant will be reset in this style pendant. :mrgreen2:

Ok...,so, tried to post the pics **after** my post, but they insist on being on top. :roll Please excuse my nails/skin.

Judy.
:).

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I like the look, but my husband thinks it looks trashy. I don’t. Those miligrained bezels are beautiful. I still haven’t done anything with the lobes,
but still may go for it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results