shape
carat
color
clarity

What Should I Look For When Buying A Gemstone?

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Hi, it's me again. :wavey:

I've been trolling the many wonderful gemstone websites in the hunt for a very sparkly, blue-green, or yellow zircon, or a yellow Chrysolite, or even a sapphire. My desired gem shape is heart, but realize that excellent heart cut stones are really hard to come by. My other shape options would be sheild or oval.
My question is, when buying a gemstone what should I be looking for in terms of depth in relation to length and width? It seems to me that gemstons are very much deeper than typical diamond depths.

Any helpful advice seriously appreciated. Thanks guys :appl:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ElizabethR|1477754259|4091745 said:
My question is, when buying a gemstone what should I be looking for in terms of depth in relation to length and width?

This is kind of like asking which car to buy, by looking at it's length. When designing a cut for a gem the most important thing that one shoots for is the way the stone looks when it's finished. The depth isn't nearly as critical as how everything adds up to give the best look. I would ordinarily go off on a long winded story about each thing and how it affect the overall look of a stone, but then I'd bore myself and everyone else so I'll cut to the bottom line.,,when buying a gem, just look at it. Look at it in all of the places that you'd normally wear it and then look at it anywhere else you can think of. If it still looks good after that, then you've got a winner. If you're looking at pictures, then you're at the mercy of the photographer and you can bet that they're only going to show a stone at it's best.

The second part of this is about durability. Chrysolite is the same thing as peridot and is not very durable. Zircon likewise is not nearly as durable as spinel, sapphire or chrysoberyl. If you're making a ring, then choose one of the more durable gems. If it's not a ring, then no worries, anything will do...unless you're prone to dunking your pendants in hot soup as you sit down, (then pick something that's a bit heat resistant).

Razz

Rough_Rock
That is really great information especially for those of us who are totally new to the whole process of buying gems. I am also looking for the right kind of ring for myself, but I'm torn because there are so many options available here.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Reading the pinned post at the top of the page: "New to coloured gemstone buying? Read this first!" might also be helpful.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Michael for your wonderfully informative and entertaining reply :appl: It is very helpful. I wish I could visit all the lovely gemstones but, no can do. All the best.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
Thanks cm, will do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results