Which way should I set this stone?

• Pendant

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Ring

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

voce

Ideal_Rock
1580244324229.png 1580244535173.png 1580244626353.png 1580244654080.png 1580245339404.png

This sapphire is one that I snapped up because I've always wanted an unheated sapphire that exhibits both blue and purple, or shifts between these two colors. I used a no return discount code. The sapphire is indeed a beautiful color that my phone camera doesn't do justice to, but the inclusions just didn't show up that well in the vendor photos, and the appearance of the inclusions underneath direct sunlight bothers me. These inclusions are most visible in pictures 2 and 3. Here, the phrase "frozen spit" comes to mind, though that may be too harsh to apply to this stone. The first and the last picture show the gem in diffused natural light. It looks like a hazy blueberry indoors and also color changes under incandescent to purple.

I think I have to keep this stone and try to do something with it. A couple of thoughts are to turn it into a sliding pendant, or to put it into a bezel ring. I'd probably use silver since I don't see this sapphire as part of my heirloom jewelry.

What kind of styles would you guys recommend for the sapphire? And would you do ring or pendant?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will the inclusion bother you in a pendant?
Simple sliding pendant. A casual one. But only if you will still wear it, because it’s the color change you were looking for.
If you think you won’t wear it - put it away for awhile. Then reassess. You can always list it for sale later. If you know you won’t wear it- there’s your answer. Do you have a box of learner stones or you get rid of everything that do don’t absolutely cherish?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Will the inclusion bother you in a pendant?
Simple sliding pendant. A casual one. But only if you will still wear it, because it’s the color change you were looking for.
If you think you won’t wear it - put it away for awhile. Then reassess. You can always list it for sale later. If you know you won’t wear it- there’s your answer. Do you have a box of learner stones or you get rid of everything that do don’t absolutely cherish?

I think I will still wear it if it's a pendant. I might wear a simple stacking ring where I'm viewing the stone from an angle and the tilt window will hide the inclusions from view. From arm's length it looks nice still, so I'm leaning towards pendant. Would you also choose to go for a bezel, or would you go for claws for a simple pendant?

Edit: about the learner stones, I usually give away what I don't really cherish, or put them in the obvious place if there is ever a break-in.

Last edited:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Team Pendant! Pretty stone. You could bezel it for a necklace too.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would have it set in a pendant. You could have Yvonne make a colorful setting for it and have the center set locally since she doesn’t set outside stones. She has made me a couple of sunflowers rings for stones I bought elsewhere and it worked out very well. The colorful accent stones should help distract from the center stones imperfections. I have a slightly sleepy sapphire with a small window that I wasn’t crazy about until it was set with Mahenge spinels in a sunflower ring and I like it much more now and reach for it often. Your sapphire has a lovely color :))

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I vote pendant as well. As a ring, you'll be tempted to look at it frequently, which may cause you to obsess over the imperfections. As a pendant, the lovely color will shine and no one will get in close enough to see the imperfections.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make a stacker ring!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely a ring! That way you can gaze into it’s ever shifting moods:)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regardless of which you choose, I would Bezel it, that should hide some of the inclusions because it will restrict a bit of the light going through them....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results