shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with my hair!!!! I am confused. Should I go blonde? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome
36.gif
I am a former colourist and I will try to help you. How blonde do you mean, an all over double process or lots of highlights? I think if you want all over blonde looking at your hair you would need a double process - bleach then colour. I wouldn't recommend it for a couple of reasons. Firstly your hair is naturally very dark and the ends where the old colour is look extremely porous. You would need a lot of stong bleach to lift out this to a blonde base , possibly colour stripper and then it would be very hard to remove all the orange and yellow. It would be really tough on your hair and I would think you would also get some breakage on the ends, your hair would be very dry and brittle. This also requires a lot of upkeep and commitment, plus I don't think it would be the best look for you, due to your skin and eye colour. Don't forget your hair has already been through a lot with the other colours and chemical straightening. The other way to get an allover blonde is to use a high lift single process colour, but your hair is much too dark for this and it wouldn't lighten much. I think if you want some blonde, stick with highlights maybe in a golden blonde shade would look good. If you came to me with this question and wanted an allover blonde, to be quite honest I would refuse to do it, due to the damage it would do to your hair. I honestly think you would be best staying with highlights, lowlites in maybe a warm or red shade, or an all over brunette would really suit you . Don't go blonde - it isn't worth risking the damage to your hair, especially with all the other colour and straightening you have already had done. I also think a good trim to get rid of some of the damaged ends would be a smart move. I hope this helps - go easy on the colour. Just a thought semi permanents might be good, they don't lighten the hair but condition and add gentle colour, it might be worth looking into these. Deep conditioning is good, but it won't make your hair healthier I'm afraid - just improve it's appearance and manageability. The only way to truly make your hair healthier is to grow out and trim off any damaged areas . The conditioning will help when you recolour to help the hair accept the colour more easily and last a bit longer, also a good conditioning regime will help prevent further damage rather than fix it. A good tip when styling to help prevent more damage is to never style when hair is sopping wet. Blast hair with the dryer until it is about 75% dry - then start styling. This helps avoid heat stress on the hair and makes styling much easier. If you use a flatiron, always protect your hair with a serum and keep the flatiron moving, do not leave it in one place too long to avoid scorching. Save the flatiron if you use one for a couple of times a week only if you can. When shampooing, apply a small amount to the roots only and massage. When you rinse the shampoo out - this should be sufficient to clean the ends without rubbing. Never tug wet hair, never brush it
6.gif
always use a wide tooth comb to ease out any tangles and maybe a little leave in conditioner. When towel drying always blot the hair and never rub to avoid snarling it up and risking further damage. I hope this helps you ,Good luck!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You''ve gotten great advice from a pro ...I only can add that going blonde is a BIG commitment--be sure you are ready to deal with roots and frequent upkeep visits (every 6-8 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows).... and DO NOT do it home--it sounds like you''re working with a professional, but just in case, but I am really not a big fan of home hair coloring jobs, especially with blonde--you can always tell--you need a professional to keep the tonality of the color.
1.gif

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Great advice Lorelei!
36.gif

Personally I think hat all over highlights will be easier to manage overtime than dying your whole hair blonde. I think that would also be very flattering on you. Maybe even do the highlights just around the face if you tend to wear your hair down framing your face mostly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Miss Jen and Ladyluvsluxury!
9.gif
Jennifer and LLL raise two very good points also. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME
6.gif
and the suggestion of a few highlights around the face is a great option, less damaging and a really pretty look.

pattysk8tergirl

Rough_Rock
Hey there again!!

Omg guys I love you all :)
You are amazing!!! Thanks for replying :). Well, I will give my hair some time before applying any type of colour again for sure, maybe what I will do is just get all my hair in a light brown colour and then do blonde highlighs. I think dealing with roots and stuff will be too much work and my hair is already damage enoguh to go through a huge deal bleaching it.
Thanks soo much for your advice.
I will definitely do it and then take some pics and show you guys how it went.

Thansk!!!
Ang

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My suggestion is that you keep it darker and use a semipermanent gloss or semipermanent colorant. It looks like your natural color and level is quite dark. Aside from that, you did the chemical straightening which, besides bleaching (highlights) is about the worst thing that you can do to hair. Adding the bleach...wow I cannot believe your hair is still intact....my point is that the more you do to that 2x as damaged hair on the hair that's had the double whammy....the more damage you are going to do and the ONLY thing that can make it "healthy" is cut that stuff off. Doing more chemical over that isn't goingto help, in a month or in a year. You can't heal hair, you can temporarily patch it with proteins. So, I say go dark and use the highlights you already have.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
From my own personal experience.....DON''T DO IT!

I''m a natural dirty blonde and a few years back got this bright idea to go black cherry...don''t ask me why. Although it did look really cool. I had to dye it dark brown, almost black, then add the red because otherwise it would have been hot pink. It was really an awesome color with the deep cherry highlights in the sun. But, a few years later decided I wanted to go back to my natural color. They had to strip the color out of my hair with this nasty hair stripper that turned my hair every shade in the spectrum and when they finally washed it out (2 hours later) I had the color of polar bear fur. What I mean is...NO COLOR. It looked like easter grass. It was so void of color that it wouldn''t hold the color wash they used on it. When it was wet it had a mushy sticky feeling to it. I could just rest my hand on my head and when I pulled my hand away the hair would stick to it. When it was dry it crunched. It was the most annoying sound when I was trying to sleep. Rolling over all I heard was...crunch, crunch, crunch. wth, was it eating the pillow???

My personal opinion is to not do it. It took seven years for my hair to finally go back to normal. I''m lucky I didn''t lose it. I''m sure I was awfully close, though.
38.gif

pattysk8tergirl

Rough_Rock
Hey there!!
Well well finally I did it!! I went to my hair stylist and she did a really amazign job. I did a nice base colour more of a light brown, and then she put some blonde highligs all over. It looks really good, way way lighter than what I had before. People have said good things and it looks good, but now I know i have to take care of my hair like crazy, be careful with the sun and use conditioner and treatments, I got a deep conditining treatment at the salon yesterday. Now my next goal with my hair is let it grow longer, I loveee long hair. Well thanks to everyone that reply :) I will post a pic this afternoon when I am home, so u can see what I finally did.
Thasnk!
Ang
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad it went well, looking forward to some pics! D4me sorry to hear what happened to your hair - it does sound like a close call. I know what you mean, your hair felt like chewing gum and I bet you had trouble drying it too? That sort of damage can hold the water in the hair and when it does eventually dry you end up with brittle frizz
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
As you found out, time is the only cure.
32.gif

pattysk8tergirl

Rough_Rock
Tell me what u think :) Here I am

photo.JPG

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Patty, sorry I''m now seeing this, but your hair looks awesome!! Definitely can tell it''s lighter but not too drastic, great choice! Just stick to the maintenance/upkeep and keeping it well moisturized and you''ll be great! Fantastic!
36.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great on you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/24/2005 6:08:31 PM
Author: Kamuelamom
I think it looks great on you!

I just found this thread. Indeed it does!

Deb

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better, your hair looks a lot healthier too! I wouldn''t go any lighter than that - just right! Keep conditioning!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice!!! I agree, don''t go any lighter, I like that color because it still keeps some warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results