shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do?? HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

getgo

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I need advice!!!
We bought a loose diamond from union diamond- 1.3ct, F, VS1, Excellent cut....
HCA 1.3 with the x in the middle of GIA excellent candidates and AGL ideal candidates overlap area.

Prior to this we had purchased and returned a ring to bluenile as the setting was awful, there service was pretty lax so we decided to go with another company. It took over a month to get a refund. It was all a bit of an ordeal. (We are in Oz)

Anyway the diamond arrived this week and we brought it to a great jewellers in Melbourne- Holloways, they agreed it was exactly what it should be but then I asked them to show me the image under the idealscope- the online company we bought from didn't have idealscope images...anyway there was far too much white for my liking and I was gutted. In the store they told me that it would probably not make the cut fo their top selection of diamonds but would make the grade just below. He said it was on the borderline.... He may have been being nice as I was a bit devastated.

I really dont know what to do... We got a good deal technically- 9400 USD but the more I'm on here the more and more I value the cut which is clearly the most unreliable grading on the certificates...its so infuriating!!!
29.gif

Can I really send back another diamond? Am I over reacting? Will it really be that different if I change it????

You guys all know your stuff so well...Ive been researching for months and even though I didn't have the idealscope image prior to purchasing I thought I had done well......

What do you think??????
33.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Hi getgo,

If you are not happy with it, then you should send it back. Period.

The return policy allows customers the time to carefully and thoroughly examine the diamond (and get additional opinions, if necessary), and you have done that and do not want it.

So, send it back -- It is NOT a good deal if you are not happy.

getgo

Rough_Rock
Hi Diamonds diamonds,
Thanks for you response.

Certainly that is what I would say to someone else...if your not happy just send it back...but Im pretty fed up of the whole diamond buying experience...dont know firstly if I can break it to H2B again ( He will think Im mad but will then be OK about it) and secondly if I can face another return to the US, wait for refund, loss of more cash and then start all over again.

I suppose Im wondering if I'm getting too fussy about this whole thing...

I may be losing my marbles....
26.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Getgo, was it Garry you spoke to? I''m guessing yes..?
Garry is not one to mince his words, so I imagine if he said its borderline, thats what he meant. Remember Holloways will have very strict guidelines for their top range, so second is nothing to sneeze at - it is likely still better than ~90% of other diamonds out there.

However, probably best if you post up the specs, then some other "cut nuts" can advise you..
Although its a good buying tool, an idealscope image is Not how your diamond looks day to day - you seemed to be happy with it before you saw the IS, no?

Anyway, all of this is moot unless you really love it in person? If you do (or don''t), it doesn''t matter what PS or Holloway''s says..
So what say you?!
2.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
If you love it keep it, honestly in OZ your diamond will outshine most everyones out there.

If it has become un-mind clean for you then maybe you should return it but I did a quick search and for the same specs you will likely be paying more then you did for that and with the exchange rate it adds up.

Please post pics so we can see your pretty I for one would love to see it :), nekkie diamonds are cool :D.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I am guessing your stone is still pretty nice. There are always going be be better cuts and different looks to a stone. You might be able to improve on the cut but to keep with F and VS1 you''ll pay significantly more. If you are really unhappy send it back but in the future only buy a stone from a vendor that offers ASET and Idealscope images. 1.3ct G SI1 could be an option.

Were you happy with your stone before Garry looked at it? I bet it still is nicer that most anything you''ll see on your friends'' fingers.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, did you see any stones in the store that you liked better? if you do, then you can return it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 4:58:31 AM
Author: JulieN
Well, did you see any stones in the store that you liked better? if you do, then you can return it.
Good idea. Also there are various levels of beauty. If you want the best cut money can buy then maybe consider looking for a top cut diamond which is as perfect as you can get in every way. Otherwise you don''t necessarily have to have '' the best'' in order to have a gorgeous diamond unless that is what you want. It sounds as if the diamond is still well cut, maybe not quite up to Garry''s standards but still a fine make diamond. Have a think about what you want to do then let us know if we can help.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your eyes telling you? Forget the stats - you don''t walk round with an Idealscope attached to your finger! Do you love the look of it? Does it perform well?

getgo

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your replies. All have been really helpful. I feel reassured. (As does H2B who thinks I'm nuts ...but lovley
28.gif
)

Its hard coming into this knowing nothing about diamonds and then researching lots and then finally (like now) worrying you have gone overboard!! Sometimes I feel Im looking for the holy grail...

It wasn't Gary himself who looked at it for me but another guy who is the head of his second store in Brighton- Alan.

I have handed in the cert in to them while the diamond is being valued. The details I have of its specs are incomplete as a result. It measures 7.03 x 7.00 x 4.31 Depth 61.9%, table 57%. Excellent polish and symmetry. 'hearts and arrows' I cant remember the crown and pavillion angles but the HCA score was 1.3 and the x was dead centre between AGS and GIA, in the young persons ring section. It wasn't angles on the cert rather it was percentages- does that make a significant difference?

I was happy with the diamond before looking through the idealscope, it sparkled lots and had great fire. I suppose its that sense that maybe I settled inadvertantly and missed a more amazing diamond- out there somewhere thats nagging me. I do know we got a really good deal financially and will not get another F, VS1, idealscope perfect for that price- 9400USD (this is including customs and tax) else it was 8200USD.
If I were to buy something in Holloways I would have to drop my carat size significantly- I tried on a G SI2 1 carat there that was the same price as ours...

Is the idealscope infallible?

Thank you all for your replies...
35.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 6:16:00 AM
Author: getgo
Thank you everyone for your replies. All have been really helpful. I feel reassured. (As does H2B who thinks I'm nuts ...but lovley
28.gif
)

Its hard coming into this knowing nothing about diamonds and then researching lots and then finally (like now) worrying you have gone overboard!! Sometimes I feel Im looking for the holy grail...

It wasn't Gary himself who looked at it for me but another guy who is the head of his second store in Brighton- Alan.

I have handed in the cert in to them while the diamond is being valued. The details I have of its specs are incomplete as a result. It measures 7.03 x 7.00 x 4.31 Depth 61.9%, table 57%. Excellent polish and symmetry. 'hearts and arrows' I cant remember the crown and pavillion angles but the HCA score was 1.3 and the x was dead centre between AGS and GIA, in the young persons ring section. It wasn't angles on the cert rather it was percentages- does that make a significant difference?

I was happy with the diamond before looking through the idealscope, it sparkled lots and had great fire. I suppose its that sense that maybe I settled inadvertantly and missed a more amazing diamond- out there somewhere thats nagging me. I do know we got a really good deal financially and will not get another F, VS1, idealscope perfect for that price- 9400USD (this is including customs and tax) else it was 8200USD.
If I were to buy something in Holloways I would have to drop my carat size significantly- I tried on a G SI2 1 carat there that was the same price as ours...

Is the idealscope infallible?

Thank you all for your replies...
35.gif
The crown and pavilion angles are the crucial part of the puzzle, so without those we can't properly judge the diamond, but going by the HCA score your diamond looks good. Also GIA normally use angles for crown and pavilion, depth and table are in percents....Just guessing here but maybe the professional's thoughts were more focused towards the hearts and arrows patterning rather than the proportions of your diamond, that the patterns weren't quite what they look for. So this would be useful to know as anything else is really speculation - could you ask Alan to elaborate? Once you hit this level of cut, unlike comparing a mediocre cut to a top cut where there are obvious differences, when comparing well cut diamonds the differences are more subtle, going from the info we have you do have a well cut diamond there. So if you could get the angles we might be able to find out a bit more.

getgo

Rough_Rock
Lorelei: The cert is EGL- which was a concern re colour in particular but Alan said it was a true F colour, clarity was also spot on. Would that be why the depth and table are in percentages- Im reading this off the valuation the internet company gave us rather than the cert itself .

Alan said the 'hearts and diamonds' were not as distinct as he would like and the description was 'guilding the lily'. I dont care about the hearts and arrows stuff at all as I know it does not distinguish a well performing diamond from a poor performer.

The key thing that concerned me was the white colour seen through the idealscope on the periphery of the diamond. Alan was less concerned about it than I was but did say it wouldn't quite reach their top grade.

Loving diamonds: I know you are right I should trust my eyes. I did really like what my eyes saw...definitely not a poor performer...it sparkles, remember it is a loose diamond so i didn't get the same opportunity to try it in different lights, admire it on my hand etc... in Holloways in the fab lighting it sparkled like mad with fire and brilliance.

Ill post pics and full stats when I get it back.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 6:46:50 AM
Lorelei: The cert is EGL- which was a concern re colour in particular but Alan said it was a true F colour, clarity was also spot on. Would that be why the depth and table are in percentages- Im reading this off the valuation the internet company gave us rather than the cert itself .

Alan said the ''hearts and diamonds'' were not as distinct as he would like and the description was ''guilding the lily''. I dont care about the hearts and arrows stuff at all as I know it does not distinguish a well performing diamond from a poor performer.

The key thing that concerned me was the white colour seen through the idealscope on the periphery of the diamond. Alan was less concerned about it than I was but did say it wouldn''t quite reach their top grade.

Loving diamonds: I know you are right I should trust my eyes. I did really like what my eyes saw...definitely not a poor performer...it sparkles, remember it is a loose diamond so i didn''t get the same opportunity to try it in different lights, admire it on my hand etc... in Holloways in the fab lighting it sparkled like mad with fire and brilliance.

Ok that explains it, I must have misread it was a GIA report, EGL do indeed use percents for crown and pavilion.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly think it sounds amazing. Try not to get too bogged down in striving for a better cut to the point of being upset with your choice. Its probably splitting hairs as you are already in the top 5% of the worlds best cuts.

I would not advice to go down in size clarity or color just to get an improvement in cut when you are so high up already in the cut heirarchy!!!!

And I will bet you a coffee that after your diamond is set, you will be bombarded with compliments....and you will realise that it is a killer of a stone.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an upgrade clause? If so, you can always think about swapping and changing way down the track, hopefully when our dollar has gone up also.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 6:46:50 AM

Alan said the ''hearts and diamonds'' were not as distinct as he would like and the description was ''guilding the lily''. I dont care about the hearts and arrows stuff at all as I know it does not distinguish a well performing diamond from a poor performer.

The key thing that concerned me was the white colour seen through the idealscope on the periphery of the diamond. Alan was less concerned about it than I was but did say it wouldn''t quite reach their top grade.

Loving diamonds: I know you are right I should trust my eyes. I did really like what my eyes saw...definitely not a poor performer...it sparkles, remember it is a loose diamond so i didn''t get the same opportunity to try it in different lights, admire it on my hand etc... in Holloways in the fab lighting it sparkled like mad with fire and brilliance.

That says a lot, to me. If he''s not concerned with the leakage he sees, then I''d say you probably do have a very pretty diamond.
2.gif
I would be more concerned about that than the H&A''s. I think it sounds like a keeper!
5.gif

getgo

Rough_Rock
Thank you all sooo much. I feel so much better.

Its hard not to get caught up in the whole idealscope, hearts and arrows, numerical complexieties of cut stuff, especially when you are a novice like me and dont know in real terms what differences from perfection actually mean in the real world/ in real light/ on my hand.

I am going to stick with it and will post pics when I have it back in my possession.

36.gif

DiamondsDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
That’s great getgo!

We look forward to seeing the pictures.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 5:28:26 PM

Its hard not to get caught up in the whole idealscope, hearts and arrows, numerical complexieties of cut stuff, especially when you are a novice like me and dont know in real terms what differences from perfection actually mean in the real world/ in real light/ on my hand.

I am going to stick with it and will post pics when I have it back in my possession.

36.gif
I am looking forward to the pics!!!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 5:49:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

36.gif

Ditto can''t wait :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 6:10:18 AM
Author: Deelight

Date: 2/9/2009 5:49:00 AM
Author: Lorelei

36.gif

Ditto can''t wait :)
Thritto!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results