shape
carat
color
clarity

What should be done before sending save the dates?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Because we are having a destination wedding and about 90% of our guests will be OOT, I'd like to get our save the dates out as soon as possible--preferably by 9 months out (mid-July).

This got me thinking that we will need our wedding site up before those go out, which of course means we will also need to have some information to put on the site!

My family has been paranoid about how much hotel rooms might cost in Napa, so I've been particularly anxious to at least get some hotel rates and blocks. I've managed to block a small group of rooms for a great rate at the local Travelodge. I'm not sure, though, if I need to figure out a 2nd hotel before the site goes up? Should we even consider blocking at a second hotel or just do more rooms at Travelodge? I feel like most guests would be concerned about getting an affordable room rather than a variety of options, so I don't know if it'd make sense for us to block somewhere else that might have more expensive rates?

Also, should we have a registry set up before the STDs go out? It seems kind of early to start that now, but I feel like people will probably expect to see info about that when they come to the site. When is the right time to start creating a registry?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
What I would do is create a wedding website and add as much info as you possibly can right now. Choose the background, how you met, when you got engaged, where the wedding is, etc.

On sections that you don''t have the information for yet, put "coming soon!" I know on the knot you can notify your guest that you''ve updated your site with the click of a button.

Registering this early would be pointless...a lot of items will be out of stock/out of season/etc. You''d have to update it constantly.

Another option would be just to send out the save the dates with no mention of a website....

Wait until you''re a couple months before the wedding, register, get your website all in order, and then send out a mass email to all your guests saying that you created a website to give them information they may need for the wedding. Hmmm...but then they won''t know about the hotel blocks in time. Perhaps you could put that information on your STD or have your mom spread the word?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd add a block at another slightly pricer, but still affordable hotel. Many people would probably prefer a Holiday Inn (better brand image) or a local B&B (since there are an abundance of them in Napa). That is what I would do.

As for the website, include as much information as possible and make sure the dates, times, travel info (closest airports, car rentals, bus info, etc.) are up so people can make plans. Those are the most important things IMO.

newbie124

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input, luckystar and neatfreak!

As you guys suggested, I think we will try to get as much up on the site as possible and maybe have "coming soon" for the areas we still need to figure out and hope people will check back.

Otherwise, I don''t mind the idea of just emailing everyone the link later. In fact, I''m thinking it''s more likely they''d go to the site if it came in an email where they could just click on the link. I know that it usually takes me awhile to visit a site if I just have the URL on paper. Still, I like the idea of being able to announce it with the initial stationery.

I am also considering mailing a map/hotel info insert along w/ the STD card. But that''ll all depend on how long it takes my sister to finish the design :razz:

I just talked to my aunt and she thinks we should probably stick w/ blocking rooms at the Travelodge and listing other options in the area for those who might want to stay elsewhere. Her thought was that, given the economy right now, most people are probably going to be more concerned about finding a well-priced place rather than getting nicer rooms. For those who do want that experience, we can just list some suggested hotels that they can book on their own. At $99/night, the Travelodge is a pretty good deal for the area, although still not exactly a steal by some standards. Even the Best Western in wine country is around $149/night, I believe. Next up is a Hilton which is around $189/night, which I feel like might be starting to get a little pricey for many of our guests.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results