shape
carat
color
clarity

What purpose does a covered patio serve?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5EFE6790-5243-4701-A7C8-343A3BED03D5.png I am demolitioning my current one bc it is structurally unsafe. Now I have to decide what to put up. If anything. It got me to thinking what the purpose was. In the past, I entertained a lot and it provided shade to my guests. Those days are long gone. Lol. I am toying with the idea of a partial patio, ready made. Here is a picture. Would love to hear about your patio.

Attachments

• 165AAC17-2CA8-4406-9987-4E4BC7D981F9.png
    165AAC17-2CA8-4406-9987-4E4BC7D981F9.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5EFE6790-5243-4701-A7C8-343A3BED03D5.png I am demolitioning my current one bc it is structurally unsafe. Now I have to decide what to put up. If anything. It got me to thinking what the purpose was. In the past, I entertained a lot and it provided shade to my guests. Those days are long gone. Lol. I am toying with the idea of a partial patio, ready made. Here is a picture. Would love to hear about your patio.

WOW!!! I love that one Nala! It's adorable! I would absolutely get that.

I have a large Pottery Barn Teak dining set with an umbrella over it. I have a huge patio around my pool, but minimal shade. I'd love to have something like that. Now you have me thinking....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's really pretty, Nala! My patio is covered, and I love to work AND relax out there. When it's raining I like to sit outside and listen to the rain because the patio covering is metal. I really like the look of the one you posted and I bet you'd spend more time on your patio with a good book and some tea if you had that over you!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My back yard is south facing and we put one up to have a shady place to sit in the summer. We don't have many trees in the back yard.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20180919_130829.jpg We just got this built. I like that it's not enclosed, but provides shade. We live in inland southern CA, so it regularly gets to 105+ in summer,and we were never going outside bc it was just too hot. This lets us sit outside in summer, which is nice. I like tje one you took pics of!! 20180919_130829.jpg 20180919_130747.jpg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We LOVE our verandah and use it all the time in late spring, summer, and early fall. We made it useable largely by having the back yard treated every month for mosquitoes, which allows us to sit out there unmolested. Since my husband and my birthdays, as well as our anniversary, are in summer, we have all our celebrations out there. We have the verandah edged in fairy lights, and they come on every evening - summer and winter. In summer, it's very inviting, and in winter, with the snow, it looks like fairyland. :))

Originally the verandah was screened in, but we pulled all the screens down to reconnect the verandah with the back yard, and we far prefer it. Our family room opens to it and the verandah has the effect of extending the room and giving that part of the house an outdoorsy sort of feel. I'm attaching 3 photos - one from a birthday dinner when the verandah was still screened it, and 2 more from today.

For anyone interested in dimensions, it's not a large verandah. It's 12' x 16' and can easily fit a dining table that seats 8. I wish it was twice as deep so I could have some lounge furniture out there as well.

IMG_2362.JPG

20180919_155040.jpg

20180919_155410.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BBQ on rainy days.
I love sitting under a covered patio to hear the rain and watch the lightening etc...

DK :))

jamesallenrings

Rough_Rock
This is beautiful!
I'd love one of these for myself. :dance:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
971A3230-09FC-402A-A5F5-EF753DD81BA6.jpeg A7CF2BDA-C31D-413F-AAF5-A1302DABD074.jpeg Here in Australia we like to use electric patio “roofs”.
You can use a “Vergola” style where the patio roof structure is slatted and you can electrically have them open for extra light say into the house or the plants that might be sitting on your patio or close them if it rains or if you need shade from the sun. People like them because when open it can let more light into house.
Then we have electric canopies, these are attached to the edge of the house. They electronically open and “fan out” to provide shade or shelter for the times you want that, otherwise they are closed and out of sight. They can come with “wind warnings” so if the breeze get too strong, they automatically close.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you didn't want to build a fully covered structure, you could build a pergola or just a frame of uprights, the supporting square on top, and then some crossbeams across it.

You could then drape voils (spelling?) across the top on hot summer days and grow clematis up the legs and over the crossbeams, and also add some twinkly fairy lights for summer evenings outside with friends :)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stayed at an Air BnB in Spain where the rooftop was half the apartment, and it had a retractable awning like the one in Bron's pic. It was great! When the weather is beautiful but a little too hot under the sun, having shaded space really lets you enjoy the outdoors more.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to thank you all for taking the time you’re share your ideas and pictures! ESP the pictures! Thank you Mrs B and lovedogs and Bron.
I stopped by Lowe’s to check out the gazebo in the pic I posted. It’s really cute! But I’m definitely leaning towards covering the entire patio. I will keep you all posted! And hopefully more people chime in and share pictures!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful covered patios.:love: Love them all. Practical and beautiful.

I love a covered patio with ceiling fans so you can enjoy it even when it is very warm outside and like @monarch64 I love metal roofs because hearing the rain on a metal roof evokes romantic memories. Reminds me of an idyllic time when my dh and I were away at The Lands End Inn in Provincetown and we had a skylight on the top floor suite and the roof was metal and the rain hitting it was so romantic as we woke up one rainy stormy morning. It was of the most beautiful sounds I ever heard. But I digress.

Here's an example of a covered roof with fan. Just love how this looks and feels.

16231C26-511A-46DF-8D28-E1C7055FB4E4.jpg

I also cannot resist a swing on a beatuiful porch.

swingonporch.jpg

I love adding greenery all around to bring in more nature and give it an organic feel. Luscious and relaxing and green.

Here are some links to more covered patio designs.

https://www.homestratosphere.com/covered-patio-ideas/

https://www.houzz.com/covered-patio-ideas

https://www.bhg.com/home-improvemen...34#slide_97619e27-d516-40d3-8312-760dc4b7db34

AV_

Ideal_Rock

At the old house, we had a grapevine canopy - too much work, and too much fun!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful covered patios.:love: Love them all. Practical and beautiful.

I love a covered patio with ceiling fans so you can enjoy it even when it is very warm outside and like @monarch64 I love metal roofs because hearing the rain on a metal roof evokes romantic memories. Reminds me of an idyllic time when my dh and I were away at The Lands End Inn in Provincetown and we had a skylight on the top floor suite and the roof was metal and the rain hitting it was so romantic as we woke up one rainy stormy morning. It was of the most beautiful sounds I ever heard. But I digress.

Here's an example of a covered roof with fan. Just love how this looks and feels.

16231C26-511A-46DF-8D28-E1C7055FB4E4.jpg

I also cannot resist a swing on a beatuiful porch.

swingonporch.jpg

I love adding greenery all around to bring in more nature and give it an organic feel. Luscious and relaxing and green.

Here are some links to more covered patio designs.

https://www.homestratosphere.com/covered-patio-ideas/

https://www.houzz.com/covered-patio-ideas

https://www.bhg.com/home-improvemen...34#slide_97619e27-d516-40d3-8312-760dc4b7db34
Ty! Gonna browse at these!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I use mine for everything! The kid just LOVES to play outside!

Haha I would take a pic for you but I'm too ashamed of the mess (messy 6yos are hard to keep clean).

We have on ours: Bench for sitting, table and two airfryers for cooking, punching bags for the boys to practice martial arts, random coffee table for the kid to climb.

We're out there all the time except maybe during the deadly aussie heatwave days.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How will you take naps outside if you don’t have a covered patio? :cool2:

AV_

Ideal_Rock

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't like bugs, so sadly our patio goes unused most of the time.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to say so you can screen it against bugs but someone already said that. Sometimes you just want some fresh air and not have to spray chemicals all over your body. Also these days, they sell blinds that are waterproof. All of these would work with a premade patio too if you could attach it to your house.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results