shape
carat
color
clarity

What "markup" would you pay for an ebay find?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
It would depend on whether I thought the asking price was fair for what I was getting. The fact that the seller is making a profit wouldn't matter to me, as long as what I paid was appropriate. If I wanted a super-duper ebay price, I'd need to spend a lot more time trolling ebay than I currently have the time or energy for, so buying from a PS'er who has The Eye, and who is making a modest profit sounds like a win-win situation to me.

I haven't actually bought anything on DB yet, but I always look. There have been a few settings that tempted me, but for the most part I think the settings listed on DB don't tick my It's a Great Deal! box.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be willing to pay whatever I thought was acceptable for the item. I don't mind if the PSer makes money or losses money, it's about what I am willing to pay. I wouldn't expect someone to pass their great deal on to me if it's not the going rate - like Pandora with her pearls. I've only ever sold 1 piece and bought 1 piece on DB so it doesn't affect me much.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I should say whatever thread is being referenced here I did not see so my posts are not about anyone or anything in that thread at all. There seem to be strong feelings about many different issues (e.g. "flipping") but none of these issues gets me upset. I don't understand why many people feel strongly about them. All I want to say is that I've observed some at PS have gifts for discovering great vintage stones (and it's not something we can all do) and some are great at collecting colored stones and designing jewelry. I can see why people who have these skills might want to use them and how it could be a win-win (sorry for the cliche).

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1335978983|3185780 said:
I should say whatever thread is being referenced here I did not see so my posts are not about anyone or anything in that thread at all. There seem to be strong feelings about many different issues (e.g. "flipping") but none of these issues gets me upset. I don't understand why many people feel strongly about them. All I want to say is that I've observed some at PS have gifts for discovering great vintage stones (and it's not something we can all do) and some are great at collecting colored stones and designing jewelry. I can see why people who have these skills might want to use them and how it could be a win-win (sorry for the cliche).

Just to clarify, the thread I was referencing had nothing to do with flipping. A poster made a comment that she wondered if PSers weren't paying too much for the old cut diamonds that were being sold second hand, as an auction place estimated a 1.5 c diamond pin at $2500. PSers are selling less than 1c ebay stones in that ballpark, so it was an interesting question as to what is a fair price.

Again, I have no problem with flipping. And for me, paying a markup depends on it being EXACTLY what I wanted and still a very good price. But I do think twice when someone has something like a ring where they've done nothing except find it and bid, and immediately turns it around at a profit, even it's a small one. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy it. It just means I think twice. ::)

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1335979373|3185789 said:
Again, I have no problem with flipping. And for me, paying a markup depends on it being EXACTLY what I wanted and still a very good price. But I do think twice when someone has something like a ring where they've done nothing except find it and bid, and immediately turns it around at a profit, even it's a small one. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy it. It just means I think twice. ::)

I guess it depends on what is your personal definition of flipping. For me it means reselling for a profit. I have no problem with that at all. I don't mind at all if someone is making a little or a lot on a "flip". If the price is too high, it won't sell. If someone is looking for something very specific and finds it, it may sell at a good profit. I don't think there needs to be any moral obligation to sell for a lower profit--that's not how the world works, so why should it be different here? The right price for an item is whatever the market will bear. ;))

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lyra|1335979802|3185798 said:

I guess it depends on what is your personal definition of flipping. For me it means reselling for a profit. I have no problem with that at all. I don't mind at all if someone is making a little or a lot on a "flip". If the price is too high, it won't sell. If someone is looking for something very specific and finds it, it may sell at a good profit. I don't think there needs to be any moral obligation to sell for a lower profit--that's not how the world works, so why should it be different here? The right price for an item is whatever the market will bear. ;))

No, for me it means buying with the INTENTION of reselling for a profit. There is a huge difference. One is "Oh, I like this ring! But if it doesn't work out, I know I can resell it and make some money, so I'll just go for it." The second is "Wow, that ring is pretty and a great deal...I bet I can make some money on it so I'll buy it to sell in the PS community."

Again, I have no problem with either, but the second one just gives me pause because it IS opportunistic. However, not wrong with taking an opportunity and making some dough! I just am not sure that I want to be the one who wants to support it, but I would pay if the price was fair and exactly what I wanted. Make sense?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am willing to pay whatever price I feel is fair, no matter the difference from the seller's original purchase price. What really gets my goat is when someone has had an item sitting on DB for months and months, and I make an offer (in the instances I am talking about, 10-20% less than the listed price), and they say they won't let it go for less than the asking price because they have to make their money back... and then the item never sells, months and months later after my offer. So instead of some money, they would rather have no money? I don't get it.

But it makes me go white with rage when I see that the seller dismantled an original vintage or antique piece and is selling it off in parts. RAGEY RAGE RAGE. I don't understand why you would even buy a complete vintage/antique piece in good condition if you knew you were going to take it apart. I understand it if it's NOT in good condition, but if it's in good enough condition that you can sell the stones AND the setting... why? It pisses me off. I feel like they're going around destroying parts of history and lovely pieces of art, simply to satisfy their own egos.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1335982135|3185832 said:
I am willing to pay whatever price I feel is fair, no matter the difference from the seller's original purchase price. What really gets my goat is when someone has had an item sitting on DB for months and months, and I make an offer (in the instances I am talking about, 10-20% less than the listed price), and they say they won't let it go for less than the asking price because they have to make their money back... and then the item never sells, months and months later after my offer. So instead of some money, they would rather have no money? I don't get it.

But it makes me go white with rage when I see that the seller dismantled an original vintage or antique piece and is selling it off in parts. RAGEY RAGE RAGE. I don't understand why you would even buy a complete vintage/antique piece in good condition if you knew you were going to take it apart. I understand it if it's NOT in good condition, but if it's in good enough condition that you can sell the stones AND the setting... why? It pisses me off. I feel like they're going around destroying parts of history and lovely pieces of art, simply to satisfy their own egos.

I agree-there was this on piece listed on the bistro a long time ago that was platinum (beautiful setting) with moon side stones and a couple of other stones with a marquise amethyst center stone. Great price-I think 800.00 or so? It didn't sell even at a lowered price (if I could have bought it I would have) and then they took it apart and sold the setting separate from the side stones (which btw went very quickly since the side stones were antiques and beautiful) and the setting went quickly too. It broke my heart though since I wanted it so badly and would have kept it one piece. ;(

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1335978983|3185780 said:
I should say whatever thread...

Just to clarify, the thread I was referencing had nothing to do with flipping. A poster made a comment that she wondered if PSers weren't paying too much for the old cut diamonds that were being sold second hand, as an auction place estimated a 1.5 c diamond pin at $2500. PSers are selling less than 1c ebay stones in that ballpark, so it was an interesting question as to what is a fair price.

It's all good. ::)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintagelover229|1335983037|3185845 said:
I agree-there was this on piece listed on the bistro a long time ago that was platinum (beautiful setting) with moon side stones and a couple of other stones with a marquise amethyst center stone. Great price-I think 800.00 or so? It didn't sell even at a lowered price (if I could have bought it I would have) and then they took it apart and sold the setting separate from the side stones (which btw went very quickly since the side stones were antiques and beautiful) and the setting went quickly too. It broke my heart though since I wanted it so badly and would have kept it one piece. ;(

:oops: OMG MOST AWKWARD PS MOMENT EVER. :o I bought those side stones... the 4x3 half moons and teeny tiny baguettes? I had no idea about the original ring, though the seller did show me a picture and I assumed the amethyst had been chipped/cracked or something and that's why it was taken apart. *shame* Which I guess just serves to illustrate the reason why the old pieces get dismantled. I don't suppose I could... put them back?

So much shame right now omg. I am part of the problem, apparently! :errrr: :(( :oops:

(The stones were gifts for my mom for sidestones for her 30th anniversary ring though, so I kind of can't feel tooooooo bad about that, since I know how happy they made her. She couldn't figure out at all what she wanted but fell in love with those stones the moment she saw them with the center stone - a 4mm early rb that was her mother's e-ring stone.)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1335984578|3185863 said:

:oops: OMG MOST AWKWARD PS MOMENT EVER. :o I bought those side stones... the 4x3 half moons and teeny tiny baguettes? I had no idea about the original ring, though the seller did show me a picture and I assumed the amethyst had been chipped/cracked or something and that's why it was taken apart. *shame* Which I guess just serves to illustrate the reason why the old pieces get dismantled. I don't suppose I could... put them back?

So much shame right now omg. I am part of the problem, apparently! :errrr: :(( :oops:

(The stones were gifts for my mom for sidestones for her 30th anniversary ring though, so I kind of can't feel tooooooo bad about that, since I know how happy they made her. She couldn't figure out at all what she wanted but fell in love with those stones the moment she saw them with the center stone - a 4mm early rb that was her mother's e-ring stone.)

LOL, I'm cracking up here. Well, at least you fessed up. ;))

I was going to respond earlier, but had to run out to Target (happy place!).

I've been on the side of the dismantling, and dealt with the feelings of doing it, so I can understand how you feel. I bought a brooch, with the belief it must be a repro. It wasn't. After the discovery it was legit, I hemmed and hawwed about it for weeks (there's a looong thread on my saga on RT right now) as I loved the piece for the "history". I would never wear a brooch, but it was so pretty I really felt it was a shame to take it apart, but the bottom line was that I wasn't going to wear a brooch, ever.

I decided to keep the stones, and Ari is going to get bids for the brooch. He cautioned me to have 23rd street take the stones out carefully since it was going to be rebuilt, so I feel good that the piece will be still together, albeit not completely original.

But you know what? Some people just look at jewelry as, well, jewelry! The thought that you would say it's for their egos...well, that's also arrogant on your part because it assumes that everyone should look at jewelry the same way. I can't bear to part with a lot of my mom's stuff right now because it's sentimental, but I have no illusions that my daughter will feel the same and that her Amelia ring will hit the pawn shops some day. Someone, somewhere sold whatever vintage piece for whatever reason. To me, it's fair game.

And who is to say what is a travesty to take apart or what isn't? Would anyone cry if I took apart some horrendous piece from the 70s? Is there not enough history or love in that piece of jewelry? Jewelry is meant to be enjoyed, IMHO. I understand that it IS sad to see some of these pretty pieces dismantled, but that doesn't mean a beautiful new piece isn't being made, which will be artfully enjoyed for decades to come.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Exactly. Not ego. Just happiness that it was turned into something that someone will love and enjoy. ;))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1335985462|3185879 said:
LOL, I'm cracking up here. Well, at least you fessed up. ;))

How could I not have, when my ass had been so neatly handed to me?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I've done that before. My listed price was the lowest I was willing to go. I'm not desperate for money, and can ultimately give it away as a gift if it doesn't sell. Of course I dont want to sell it for less than what I paid, especially since it was already more than 50% off PS vendor prices. Why does that make you angry?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I have to say I vehemently disagree with this.

I can certainly appreciate history; in fact, a piece of me cringes ever time I hear someone considering recutting an old stone into a modern RB. That said, though, I think it's even more shameful and wasteful to leave a piece assembled just for the sake of history when it's something that won't be worn. T-Gal's brooch is a perfect example. No one wears brooches these days, so for me, it's pointless to leave that piece intact when it just means it will sit in someone else's safe deposit box, neglected and never seeing the light of day, just in the name of preservation.

In her situation, she almost has to buy a brooch or ring to even achieve the goal of getting matching side stones for her project. To me, this makes sense. Those 3 main stones will be going to someone who will love them, enjoy them, will appreciate them for what they are and build her own new meaningful heirloom piece from them.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done that before. My listed price was the lowest I was willing to go. I'm not desperate for money, and can ultimately give it away as a gift if it doesn't sell. Of course I dont want to sell it for less than what I paid, especially since it was already more than 50% off PS vendor prices. Why does that make you angry?[/quote]

It doesn't make me angry, it annoys me. I just don't get it AT ALL. If you would rather give it away than go lower than the price you listed it at... how does that help you? Isn't some money better than no money? It makes literally NO sense to me. I get not wanting to sell for lower than what you paid, but I DON'T get not wanting to sell AT ALL rather than selling for lower than what you paid. I buy and try a lot of perfume, and a lot doesn't work for me and I resell it. I lower the price over several months until someone buys it, or it is $5, at which point I give it away. I just see giving it away as a last resort after you've determined you can't make back ANY of your original price, rather than a second resort after determining you can't make back ALL of your original price. I am not desperate for money either, but still, some money is better than no money.

Alj - this thread is making me more able to understand that point of view. Not entirely, but more.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha, I have seen a few people list things in the preloved at a big mark up (they mentioned how much they paid) so it would be hard for me to pay the big markup. If it was marked up a little, and they put some effort into it then I probably wouldn't mind. I guess it depends on the item, etc.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
distracts|1335989255|3185926 said:
I've done that before. My listed price was the lowest I was willing to go. I'm not desperate for money, and can ultimately give it away as a gift if it doesn't sell. Of course I dont want to sell it for less than what I paid, especially since it was already more than 50% off PS vendor prices. Why does that make you angry?

It doesn't make me angry, it annoys me. I just don't get it AT ALL. If you would rather give it away than go lower than the price you listed it at... how does that help you? Isn't some money better than no money? It makes literally NO sense to me. I get not wanting to sell for lower than what you paid, but I DON'T get not wanting to sell AT ALL rather than selling for lower than what you paid. I buy and try a lot of perfume, and a lot doesn't work for me and I resell it. I lower the price over several months until someone buys it, or it is $5, at which point I give it away. I just see giving it away as a last resort after you've determined you can't make back ANY of your original price, rather than a second resort after determining you can't make back ALL of your original price. I am not desperate for money either, but still, some money is better than no money.

Alj - this thread is making me more able to understand that point of view. Not entirely, but more. [/quote]

Distracts, I'd might rather give something away as a gift to a FRIEND than lose money greatly and sell it to someone I don't care for or know. This makes sense to me completely. I currently have something on DB that I'm selling that was my mothers (that I bought her). I don't care to make "some" money on it. I've listed it for what I think may be fair, and what I think will help her (although knowing her, she's going to be giving the money away to some cause). If it doesn't sell, I'd WAY rather keep it and give it away to my daughter. Or maybe some person some day that could use a little lift in their day.

As for alj's point, like I said, I understand both POVs. But most people want a bargain. Champagne taste on a beer budget, and all. If not, why look on DB at all? Even vintage side stones can be sourced from PS vendors...you'd just be paying more for them.

And the concept of it be OK to dismantle a vintage piece that is not in great condition vs one that is because it's "art" doesn't work for me. I mean, then is it OK to trash a Van Gogh because it's in tattered condition? No? It's still art right? And art is art is art?

Art is subjective. Hard to place an intrinsic value on art. I understand why some cringe to see vintage jewelry taken apart. But I totally understand why to others, it's no big deal.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I *totally* understand the *sell for a good price* or *give to family member* mentality. Going through that battle right now with deciding whether I would enjoy $$ or good feelings more. Whether I'd rather sell to a stranger ... or keep a piece in the family. Most things it's clear cut. This would go to ____. I'd never sell ____. But for a few items that I don't feel as strongly about -- well ... money would be lovely. But if the amount isn't what I'm comfortable with ... it would certainly make me lean toward "profiting" in familial good will & warm feelings rather than cash.

In terms of the original question - I don't have a specific percentage in mind. KNOWING (in advance) that someone paid far far less for an item might make me suspicious if it's really a good value or being misrepresented somehow along the way, knowingly or unknowingly. But if it was someone that I really trusted or think has an excellent eye -- I'd feel fine about paying more than ebay prices for an item I really wanted.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I give them away as gifts to my mom, sister, aunt, cousins. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but to me, they are my close family and It makes me happy to give them diamonds for as many occasions and I can.

Also, it seems more financially sound (to me). For example, I have a $500 diamond that retails $1000, and I'm not wearing anymore. If I sell it at $350, I've instantly "lost" $150. Instead of selling it for $350 for it to buy my sister a gift, I give it to her for her bday. She's happy because she couldn't ever find a diamond w/ those specs for what I paid, and I dont feel like I "lost" $150. And If I ever want to borrow it, they'd have no problem letting me.

Does that make more sense?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1335990663|3185950 said:
I give them away as gifts to my mom, sister, aunt, cousins. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but to me, they are my close family and It makes me happy to give them diamonds for as many occasions and I can. Also, it seems more financially sound (to me). For example, I have a $500 diamond that retails $1000, and I'm not wearing anymore. If I sell it at $350, I've instantly "lost" $150. Instead of selling it for $350 for it to buy my sister a gift, I give it to her for her bday. She's happy because she couldn't ever find a diamond w/ those specs for what I paid, and I dont feel like I "lost" $150. And If I ever want to borrow it, they'd have no problem letting me.
Exactly. Charity begins at home! :tongue: (As an oldest child, I grew up shopping for all of my siblings & still think I'm supposed to consider all family members before selling something or even giving it away. Despite years of therapy!) :naughty:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
to answer the original question: zero, nada, zilch.
point blank honesty: i'm not interested in buying from flippers whether it be here on pricescope or real estate investors.
just not my thing and since its my $, i get to make the choice.

NOTE: if Flygirl ever puts those moonstone earrings for sale here at pricescope, i call first dibs! however, that is an item she bought and had commissioned. she did not buy it to "flip".....

i can understand those that want to flip but i do think they should be identified as such much in the way vendors are identified. but that is only my opinion.

i understand those willing to pay a flipper because it just seems easier.
that the two can meet here at pricescope is great.
it is just not my thing.

eta: and i do understand the "i'd give it away" before i'd accept less attitude.....my item, mine to do with as i wish, i don't need the $ and i don't owe anyone an explanation. giving something i like to someone i like is a win-win situation, imo.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dunno...most of the time I don't know what the person originally paid, so I really wouldn't know if it was marked up or by how much - is there some way to know that :confused: Is it just being familiar with the items on ebay? Sorry if I sound like a dummy :cheeky: Anyway, I guess I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if I thought it was a fair price. If the price seemed too high, I would just pass.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1336013116|3186285 said:
I dunno...most of the time I don't know what the person originally paid, so I really wouldn't know if it was marked up or by how much - is there some way to know that :confused: Is it just being familiar with the items on ebay? Sorry if I sound like a dummy :cheeky: Anyway, I guess I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if I thought it was a fair price. If the price seemed too high, I would just pass.
some people do mention price here when the purchase the item, otherwise I wouldn't know!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Skippy|1336013235|3186288 said:
some people do mention price here when the purchase the item, otherwise I wouldn't know!

I usually mention it when I have a great deal...because I have no intention of reselling, although that can change!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1336013235|3186288 said:

Ah ok, thanks Skippy, thought I was missing something (which wouldn't be unusual :sun: )

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I WANTED THOSE SIDESTONES! The seller said I emailed her MINUTES after you did. It's all good though, I didn't end up keeping the sapphire I wanted them for. But I would have HOARDED those half moons. I'm SO HAPPY they are with your mom, that makes it all better.

T-gal, that's my definition too. I list stuff I bought for myself on Pre-loved. Profit is irrelevant. It's the purpose behind the original buy. If I am flipping I list on DB only and there's no Pre-loved listing. That's how I see the forum rules as applying.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"I am willing to pay whatever price I feel is fair, no matter the difference from the seller's original purchase price. What really gets my goat is when someone has had an item sitting on DB for months and months, and I make an offer (in the instances I am talking about, 10-20% less than the listed price), and they say they won't let it go for less than the asking price because they have to make their money back... and then the item never sells, months and months later after my offer. So instead of some money, they would rather have no money? I don't get it."

_________

On a similar note, I've made offers to people that were not that much lower than their asking and they said no they have to have asking... and then when it languishes, a month later or more they drop the price, usually lower than what I offered, and it sells. Of course I am bummed because I missed out on the piece when I made that offer a month ago or whatever... but oh well! Their prerogative.

To the original topic, I would pay whatever I feel the piece is worth. It doesn't matter to me what someone paid or what it's worth in retail, but what is it worth to ME. aka if I am looking for a certain type size/cut/pattern) of old stone to complete a 5 stone ring, I might pay more for it than I would have the first 1-3 stones because I'm looking for something so specific. And if someone else has what I want, then I might have to pay more to get it.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I would look at the piece and decide if it is a fair price to me, REGARDLESS of what the owner paid for.

Truth is I do not have the knowledge, time, skill or nerve ( :-o ) it takes to purchase from ebay. I am happy to view the mark up as my "insurance policy" for the purchase.

I have admired many pieces on the pre loved section and one day I will own one of those beauties. :Up_to_something:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1335987258|3185900 said:

I am SO HAPPY that you posted this. It drives me absolutely batty when people list items (and re-list, and re-list, and re-list, constantly bumping their ads, trying to sell the same pieces for months or even years, at prices the market obviously will not bear) and I always wondered what was behind this apparently irrational behavior. It had really been eating at me for a long time. It makes so much more sense to me now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results