shape
carat
color
clarity

What jewelry pieces are really 'needed' in a wardrobe?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been asking myself this question quite a bit lately.

Do I need a pair of studs, or is a cluster flower stud enough?

Do I need a solitaire pendant or is and invisible set princess pendant enough?

I have always bought multiple stone pieces because I liked a bigger look than I really wanted to pay for, and now with diamond
prices going crazy it is even more expensive.

As I have gotten older, I find I like the simpler pieces better. But lets face it, I have a ton of jewelry. I love it all but don't wear it
all.

***What pieces do you feel you need in your wardrobe? Do you wear classics, and pretty much nothing else?****

What piece outside of your wedding set is the one you wear the most?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I see your point but am reminded of my husband's question when I bought a piece once: "How much jewelry do you need?" I burst out laughing!

Always i wear my gold watch w/diamond bezel, and a pinky ring -- either a yg one w/etching or one w/a silver shank & gold-bezeled ruby. Usually wear earrings; I love hoops & have several pairs, my favorite a 1 1/2" diameter, wide 18K yg pair, but I also have slimmer gold ones & some Roberto Coin hoops set w/diamonds, some pearl hoops & white sapphire ones. Also not hoops, a pair of gold & diamond ones from Tiff's when I worked there that I love.

If what I'm wearing works w/it, I occasionally wear a little yg lizard brooch w/emerald eyes from an estate jeweler -- I love this little fellow (lizard, not the jeweler). Nothing besides earrings when I wear him.

If getting dressed up, I put on my fave bracelet -- a heavy braided rg one, also an estate buy, hand braided & really beautiful. Or some Robert Coin bangles -- one rg w/ bezeled diamonds, the other yg w/diamonds inset.

I used to wear necklaces fairly often, don't so much anymore.

--- Laurie

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I don't know that you ever really NEED jewelry... per say... you won't die without them.

I don't think you can really decide what any one woman NEEDS either....

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Best to build your jewelry wardrobe with things that you like and look good on you ( that way you'll wear it).A cluster flower stud can be just as good as a regular stud. If you love pendants go for pendants. Colored stone, diamond, gold or sterling, whatever. Wear what you like and looks good on you. Start with a couple of rings and a few earrings that suit you. Mix and match as you go.

I have a lot of jewelry too. And I wear most of it. I mostly stick with white metals because they look better on me. I do mix white gold and silver. And I even mix a little yellow gold with my silver sometimes. With the colored stones I tend to stick with the pinks and blues. Although I have some yellow in there.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally my jewelry wardrobe basics are:
ering and wband(s)
diamond studs
diamond solitaire
pearl studs
string of pearls
good quality dress watch
good quality every day watch

The rest is all just extras.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I think that this all just really depends upon your own individual taste and style. The essential pieces are the pieces that you love and wear the most.

For me, diamond studs are essential for almost every day, and so is a nice (again, it all comes down to taste) watch. I also have a pair of hoop earrings with little diamonds, which I wear sometimes.

I love wearing different necklaces, and I tend to alternate them. A few have diamonds in them, a couple have gemstones, and the others are sterling silver. Oh, and I like rings too, and I like to switch them up a bit (not counting my engagement ring, of course), so I have a couple of gemstone rings and a few with little diamonds in them.

I never have really worn bracelets much, so I don't own any. I am open to getting a nice one in the future, but it wasn't at the the top of my list to buy, since I wear other jewelry pieces much more.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I'm just not a huge jewelry fanatic as I once was so aside from the wedding set, I wear a pair of diamond studs about five days a week and have my helix pierced so keep a small barbell in there. That's it. For a pendant, I think a simple solitaire is best and most classic. I do have one but rarely wear it, however it's ideal for necklace lovers.

I just bought a pair of silver hoops from BN so I'll probably wear those the couple days a week I don't wear my diamond studs. I'd like a pair of diamond hoops and also a pair of bezel stud earrings but will have to wait on those. (basically I wear my eng ring and a pair of earrings.)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1303747185|2904569 said:
I don't know that you ever really NEED jewelry... per say... you won't die without them.

I don't think you can really decide what any one woman NEEDS either....[/quote]

Yep, 2nd to this. I do not like watches and one relative noticed I never wear one and declared she was going to buy me one! Luckily she sort of got side-tracked and didn't get me one b/c it would have been a waste of money.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
It all depends on what you do all day. Before I became a SAHM, I mixed up my jewlery all the time and wore quite a bit. I had to wear scrubs (for a counseling job in a psych hospital) so it was a way to add some fun to my boring daily uniform. The jewlery I wore wasn't too valuable though because on numerous occasions we were forced to restrain our pt's and jewelry would get damaged.

Now I am a SAHM. What I wear is more valuable but I still have to worry about it being pulled by my 10 month old. I wear rings, small hoops, and a pendant every day. I wear a watch if I go out although after I buy my next watch I plan on wearing it daily (or that's what I told my SO :naughty: ) and I plan on buying small studs for my 2nd earring hole that I will wear all the time.

I LOVE to wear jewelry regardless if it's diamonds and gold or silver and costume. It helps me feel "put together". I do realize that none of it is necessary, but I feel better when I have it on....so maybe it is a necessity??

I also NEVER leave the house without a good pair of sunglasses. I get headaches EASILY d/t a medical condition and even on a rainy day, I need sunglasses. Those are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY :geek:

Edited to add: Flip-flop season is almost upon us so a toe ring gets added to the daily jewelry (anyone know a good place for toe rings?? I am in the market for something new/blingy!)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love my diamond studs. Love. I've always thought they were the first real piece that I *needed* - classic, simple, perfect for everyday, but they work for a nice night out as well. I really can't think of anything else that I have that I'd consider a staple - eventually an e-ring and wband, a good strand of pearls (I have a lot of freshwater pearls right now, but would love a really nice string at some point) and pearl studs. I'd like some kind of nice pendant, and a few bracelets (you know - some bangles, and eventually a nice tennis bracelet). But I think the must have list for me is this:

Diamond studs (check!)
Everyday necklace (check!)
Pearl necklace/earrings
Bracelet(s)
Nice pendant

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think everyone needs a diamond pendant. I never take mine off. People seem to notice it a lot. They always tell me if it's twisted which leads me to believe it catches people's eye.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think any jewelry pieces are really needed, to be honest. But I sure do like wearing what I have!

I don't own much fine jewelry--only my upgrade ring, my wedding band, and my grandmother's band. Other than that I wear fun earrings and necklaces every day with my rings. I would like a pair of studs, and jbEG's pair of antique cushions is really tempting me right now, but I think I'm going to wait a while to start a new jewelry project.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
For me, I'd say:

diamond studs
diamond hoops
pearl studs
string of pearls
e-ring/WB (if applicable)
diamond tennis bracelet
right hand ring (s)

of course, there's always more I wouldn't mind having!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ladies for your responses!

Maybe NEEDED was not the right word. I don't need any of it. I could let it all go really. I guess what I was wondering is what makes
a classic piece that you would wear every day. When I bought my princess heart pendant, I thought, this is the classic piece
I will every day and not take off, same with the cluster earrings. I love them, but now when I look at the simplicity of a solitaire
pendant or single stud earrings, I think, "I like that look much better". It seems more classic.

Do you think a single stone is better than a multi-stone piece, ie more of a classic look, or should I just be happy with what I have?

I have a pair of stud earrings coming from BGD within a few weeks. I had a .50 stone which I inherited that Brian is re-cutting for
me and then I will purchase another to match. I have been a little sorry that I traded in my first upgrade diamond for my 2.57
and didn't keep it for a solitaire pendant. It just seemed like too much of a cash outlay for me at the time. But I have a few
pendants that I rotate. The solitaire is looking pretty good to me....

All my jewelry will eventually go to my daughter, so it is kinda an heirloom investment, right?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love jewelry but I actually don't have much. I'm drawn towards classic studs, small hoops/huggies, or small drop earrings and simple rings. So for me, what's "needed" is just my wedding set, one pair of earrings, and occasionally a RHR.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I wear tiny diamond studs, a 0.8 carat bezelled pendant and an e-ring every single day.

I wear the rest of my jewellery less than 10 times a year, despite the huge amount of money spent on them. Mind you, 99% of it was gifts, but I still feel very guilty.

I don't need anymore jewellery, as although I love to look at it, I don't wear it that much!

Only thing worthwhile for me is to upgrade my pendant and earrings in size.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzigrrl|1303757970|2904692 said:
For me, I'd say:

diamond studs
diamond hoops
pearl studs
string of pearls
e-ring/WB (if applicable)
diamond tennis bracelet
right hand ring (s)

of course, there's always more I wouldn't mind having!
don't forget a toe ring.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um...err...

I seem to have a bunch here.

Lessee...always wear the wedding set, plus any stackers that feel right for the day.

I have 4 right hand rings, one of which is a diamond pinkie ring (very sweet, it was my mom's) so up to 2 rings on my right hand depending on mood. I have a yellow radiant diamond in platiunum, a pink-brown zircon in yellow gold and a haloed amethyst in white. :wacko:

A good strand of classic white pearls. I also have 2 pearl pendant sets - pendant and ear charms that go on huggies - white and diamonds in yellow, and lavender and diamond in white. I wear these sets often, and also wear a pair of huge, perfectly round metallic FW pearl dangles. (See avatar).

I NEVER go without earrings. EVER. I'd go without rings before I'd go without earrings.

I don't have diamond studs, because I don't really wear studs - too little. I need dangles, so...

I've really almost given up wearing fashion jewelry. And I tend towards the classic look. Not adventurous I guess...

Oh and a watch. Gotta have a watch. Have a nice diamond Accutron with a silver guilloche face that I wear a bunch, otherwise a smaller round gold Wittenaur with a brown leather band.

Need though? Wedding set and pearls I guess. I do wear pearls of some form or another, a bunch.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My jewelry basics would be:

1- a pair of everyday earrings. For years, I wore a small pair of silver studs. Now, I wear small diamonds. But something simple and elegant that you can wear everywhere.
2- a pendant. I wear a OMC diamond.
3- a RHR. In my case, a Mahenge spinel with side baguettes.
4- a watch
5- a brooch or lapel pin (ok, few people agree with me on this one but they are some of my favourites!)

Of course, some special pieces are also important
1- a serious pendant or necklace, that will transform any outfit. Some people like pearls for this, I use a forged silver neckring.
2- an elegant cocktail ring

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should wear what suits you and what you like. there can be a bit of a bias on this forum (and in other places with serious diamond devotees) against pieces clusters of many diamonds as opposed to one large stone, but I have seen many piecesin real life made of clusters of stones that were BEAUTIFUL. I wouldn't say that if you have a flower cluster of diamonds as a earring that you love, that you 'need' studs.
I actually think that the styles are changing a little in favor of pieces made of smaller diamonds--look at the huggies vs. studs threads all over p'scope.

I saw my technician the other day wearing an absolutely beautiful ring made of both baguettes and tiny rounds made to look like a bouqet of flowers--hard to describe but very lovely and classy. The diamonds were all sparkly and white and it was well made and it looked very, VERY nice. Better than a lot of solitaires I see.
So decide for yourself.
As for what people 'need'--everyone has their own ideas. I tend to think that a couple of pairs of earrings, one simple and one dressier, a nice strand of pearls and perhaps a bracelet will take you most places. And I'm religious so I like to have a cross pendant. And people who are married like to wear their wedding rings.
But I own a lot more than that. Some day I may decide to pare down as my mother has done in her older age--she wears the same things and never takes them off-a pair of diamond studs, a necklace with a crucifix (yellow gold); two yellow gold chain bracelets and a pretty little antique diamond ring on her pinky (she's a widow and doesn't have w-ring or engagement ring any more). My grandmother also pared down to a pair of mabe pearl studs (remember those?), a pearl necklace, a gold bracelet and a white gold deco engagement ring that she wore on her pinky in her older age. She had a very nice pearl brooch too--but now brooches are out of style.
Maybe I am influenced by them.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I need jewelry but I sure like it.

My choices for the basics would be:

Diamond Studs
Ering and or Wring (if that is where you are in life)
A basic pendant (diamond or gemstone)
Gemstone RHR
Gemstone studs or earrings

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
DF- you remembered, how sweet! YES, I do believe a diamond platinum toe ring is absolutely de rigueur. :D

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
The must-haves that I currently own are
A suite of pearls-- earrings, necklace, 3 strand bracelet
Engagement Ring
Casual Watch
Birthstone RHR

What I REALLY "need"
Diamond studs
Two tone dress watch

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
needed? I think about the only thing needed (and questionably so) would be a plain gold band to show you're married (if you are) and plain ball studs or small hoops to keep your ear holes open.

Okay so beyond that in the land of *basic* wants I would say - a wedding set, earrings, a necklace, a bracelet, and a watch. Maybe a 2nd ring for special occasions. That's pretty much it.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
NEED?????

Well...I wear one of several wedding/engagement rings flanked by two micro pave diamond bands.

Since I own over 100 rings, anything from High End to $20. sterling I always have something on my right hand. I am always wearing my white gold spiga bracelet that has a big yellow gold French Clasp. Also, I am usually wearing a yellow gold byzantine bracelet, but I noticed one loop is sticking out so I took it off and it will be going to the jewelers for a check-up. My David Yurman semi-prescious bracelet {13 + carats} is currently in the rotation. I'm OVER my tennis bracelet. For every day I wear my swan necklace--it's a SS with swans in profile. I LOVE IT, both for the symbolism of swans mating for life AND that they are nasty birds when riled :lol: , however, when going out I usually substitute it with one of my pearl strands--I think pearls are an essential in most womens arsenal. Diamond studs -- well I lost one last year and didn't have the heart to tell my husband so I replaced the set with czs and he doesn't know the difference. I do like bigger dangle-y earrings when going out at nite.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of my favorite authors is the eminently trashy but thoroughly delightful Judith Krantz. In one of her books, the characters are trying to decide how to run a clothing company, so one of them proposes a fire drill exercise: what would you grab in the event that you had to live out of a suitcase for an indefinite period of time? And, though all the characters exist at different price points, they all wind up grabbing separates ... things that can easily coordinate with one another and match most situations. I think that's a good way to decide on jewelry, too.

I know when I travel, I'm happy with my studs, my solitaire pear pendant, my wedding set, an eternity for my other hand, and a watch. I'm happier if I also have a pair of dangling earrings and a fancy choker, but, hey. And at home? I'm happiest when I have a treasure trove of earrings for every outfit, bangle bracelets I don't hardly ever wear, and necklaces and brooches dangling from my walls like tiny art.

"Need" is a weird word for jewelry, I think: it emphasizes the degree to which this really is a luxury interest. But, hey - I need luxuries! Seriously, I'm the girl who, if given a choice between a healthy diet for a week and no perks, or a week of ramen, some fresh flowers for the table, a book of poetry, and a fancy bar of chocolate, will go for the latter every time. So for me, I think it's more that I need periodic infusions of bling to feel like I'm marking special occasions than that I need any specific object.

I think multi-stone pieces are just as fancy as single-stone pieces: in many instances, they look dressier, even, when they're beautifully made (think of VC&A's invisibly-set pieces). But it sounds like you want the others. So long as you're paying your bills and all ... why not?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone seems a little hung up on the word 'need'. I don't mean that in the traditional sense, but in the sense of a classic
wardrobe. If you were putting a perfect wardrobe together you would need a certain number of pants, or skirts to co-ordinate
an make outfits. The same with a jewelry wardrobe. The things you 'need' to feel put together. All the other stuff is just extras.

I have a few diamond pieces that I rotate. A pair of seven stone, flower type earrings, invisible set tiny princess stone earrings,
blue sapphire and diamond heart earrings. I was feeling that they are not quite 'classic' enough, and just wanted to know your
thoughts...I have some studs coming... but I started feeling maybe I was just greedy from seeing all the beautiful pendants here.
Maybe, the look is classic enough and I should just be happy with the stuff I have.

Maybe I should post some photos. I don't know how I would get rid of all the stuff I own and just pair down. It doesn't seen like
it would be worth it. A lot is yellow gold which I don't wear as much any more. My DD doesn't like yellow gold. I keep thinking
I may like it again and with the cost so crazy I wouldn't be able to buy all the pieces I own.

I do what Circe does when I travel. I just bring a few pieces. I have always got the feeling that invisible set pieces were a big
yuck here, so I guess I am feeling a little unsure if they are 'classic' enough!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear the following on a regular/ daily basis:

- my 4.649ctw BGD/LM martini studs (actually, these are the first items I put on after getting dressed everday and I'd rather go without other items than my trusted studs - something abt them that really brightens up your face and yr day! :)) )
- JA/LM pear ring
- an inexpensive watch
- bracelet

If I want to be more dressy or want to alternate, I'll add pearl dangles, eternity ring(s) and a RHR. Then, there's of course my new pendant coming from BGD. And my SS pearl necklaces. Would love to have larger diamond pear dangles and am stalking a Franck Muller at the moment! :naughty: May not wear all of them at the same time though - prob a bit too much, iykwim (?).

I'm also in the process of having some stones reset into a travelling kit: half- hoops with 18 pointers, 5pt half-hoops with smaller RB dangles and an eternity ring of 23-25 pointers. I may or may not wear all or any of them, depending on the situation and which country am travelling to.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Needed: nothing! (You already know that!)

Wanted:

1 beautiful e-ring (stats to be determined.)

1 pair of earrings, probably 1 ctw studs

1 necklace containing 1 ctw diamond.

THANKS!

:appl:

tzelin

Rough_Rock
1. Engagement ring
2. Diamond band
3. Pearl neckalces / bracelets
4. RHR

.. I have all of the above and now I "think" I need a diamond bracelet. The thing is, I am not sure on whether to get a diamond bracelet OR a pink sapphire ring. And I can only choose one for now. I think I need the bracelets more (since I don't have any) but I want the pink sapphire ring more, I guess (which I may not "need" since I already have one).

Decisions, decisions. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results