color
clarity

what is your favorite kind of pie?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peach with vanilla ice cream :lickout:

APPLE!

Basic, and simple. But sometimes life has too many froofy things going on and you just need some warm apple pie. :cheeky:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cind11|1314292357|2999333 said:
jaysonsmom|1314246957|2998947 said:
Am I the only one that loves Pecan pie? I ate at least one whole pecan pie a week while pregnant with my daughter!

I adore pecan pie. Doesn't seem like many people like it though. I like peach pie really well too!

I think pecan pie has been mentioned several times now. I'll fess up. I like it. It just can't compare with coconut cream pie or key lime pie in my book, however. If I had a sideboard full of slices of pie and was all alone and was very thin and could eat until I gorged myself...I would probably eat multiple slices of coconut cream pie and a few of key lime pie and then realize I didn't feel well. I doubt I'd touch the pecan or any of the other pies I love. But I may be wrong. I may just have been dieting for too long. Maybe I'd take a taste of strawberry-rhubarb pie (which I love) and a taste of something else and remain a lady. I suppose miracles do happen!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

PS-Pecan pie is the pie I make most often. I have a wonderful recipe for it that I got out of, "The New York Times" one Thanksgiving. I have posted it on Pricescope before. Mary of Puddin' Hill also sells a great pecan pie through their catalogue!

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I'll eat pie, but I don't love pie. It's actually been a really long time since I had a slice of good pie.

::gasp::

I think this is largely a matter of people (and places) not making good pies from scratch anymore. We had pies from Hoosier Mama Pie Company in Chicago for our welcome dinner, and the pies were good, but not transcendental. I remember being a fan of buttermilk pie, but I haven't had it for a long time.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of the pecan pie, my sister actually makes a maple bacon pecan pie. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but the sweet mixed with the salty bacon is a great combo!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Ooh best of luck to your sister Charbie! Sounds yum :lickout:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a big pie person, but French Silk is definitely my fave!

I also like berry flavored pies like raspberry, strawberry rhubarb, etc.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
butterflyblue|1314296264|2999395 said:
Definately hard for me to chose just one I love pie too!

Apple pie, Lemon Merinque, Banana Cream, Pumpkin, French Silk, Strawberry Rubharb, ugh I could totally keep going on and on! :appl:
:lickout: ...i just gained 10 lbs by reading this thread... ::)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apple :cheeky:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. Key lime-had the best ever on my honeymoon in the BVIs, but I even like the frozen Mrs. Smith's kind! :lickout:

2. Banana cream-it's my dad's fave so mom makes it for him every year on his birthday!

3. Pecan pie-my mom or older sis always make it at Thanksgiving!

4. Pumpkin pie-my mom always makes this at Thanksgiving too!

I could eat half a key lime pie by myself, though...I would want to puke, but I'd do it anyway!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1314316872|2999723 said:
Ooh best of luck to your sister Charbie! Sounds yum :lickout:
Well thanks! I didn't want to go on about her pie shop, I just thought it was quite fitting that she is so close to opening the shop and this thread happened to come up. It isn't easy opening a small business, but her pies are special :)l

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
PUMPKIN!!! for sure =) i love that stuff, one of the best things about moving to North America for sure :cheeky:

its funny, today i had a conversation about whether it was to early to be making a pumpkin pie (you know, as thanksgiving is still awhile away - although i lie in Canada so its sooner than in the US!) because i really want some!

cant wait for thanksgiving, im running my first half that day and im going to SMASH pumpkin pie that night :praise:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
missy|1314265204|2999051 said:
I * WANT * PIE!!!! :lickout:

OMG- all those sound delicious!!!!!!

If I had to pick a favorite I would have to choose my husband's amazing (and award winning!) apple pie (or his decadent cheese cake-but that's not pie) or my sister's awesome chocolate peanut butter pie. OK I picked more than one but they are both just so darn yummy!!!!

(Why does food that tastes so amazing have so so many calories ;( )

Because of the fat, sugar, salt and carbs. Evil, just evil! :devil:

Take all of that away and you have lettuce.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
AmeliaG|1314309395|2999621 said:
AGBF|1314279815|2999131 said:
heraanderson|1314254040|2999015 said:
I really don't understand why anyone would put meringue on top of lemon. Lemon is magnificent, but surely if one wants to put something on top of it, it should be whipped cream! I just don't understand meringue or its followers! It is sticky and when I get it on my pie, I just want to get rid of it (usually by eating it) as soon as possible. I don't know why anyone bothers to fuss making meringue-beating egg whites and all-when whipped cream would please me so much more.

If you don't like desserts that are too heavy or too sweet, homemade lemon meringue pie is great. I love lemon desserts in general because they're not too sweet but with a light and airy meringue on top, its even better. With homemade, you can control the amount of sugar in each. I like key lime pie too but somehow the lack of meringue-y topping makes it feel heavier to eat. Probably psychological, I know, but I found out for me that's true - even if by accident. I once asked my grandmother to make me a chocolate cream pie - for some reason I wanted that rather than lemon meringue - she misunderstood and made me a chocolate meringue pie. It wasn't the same. I wanted the chocolate cream pie to be heavy - like comfort food but with the meringue, it felt rather too lightweight.

My favorite cake is angel food cake with fresh strawberries and second favorite is classic white cake. Actually my second favorite pie would be either a pumpkin or chocolate cream pie. Sometimes I like heavier desserts but not too often.

And of course, being a born Southerner, homemade chicken pot pie is the best!

And the sweet tea!! :lickout:

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
For me it is a toss up between banana cream, key lime, or strawberry fudge!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peach
Apple
Cherry

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I guess I am not really a pie person as I haven't had quite a few of the beloved pies. Out of fruit pies, my favorite is apple.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I do like pie

April20

Ideal_Rock
charbie|1314316271|2999720 said:
Speaking of the pecan pie, my sister actually makes a maple bacon pecan pie. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but the sweet mixed with the salty bacon is a great combo!

Waaaaaant. My DH would die for something like this. I'm going to have to tell him about it.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thing2of2|1314319792|2999757 said:
1. Key lime-had the best ever on my honeymoon in the BVIs, but I even like the frozen Mrs. Smith's kind! :lickout:

2. Banana cream-it's my dad's fave so mom makes it for him every year on his birthday!

I could eat half a key lime pie by myself, though...I would want to puke, but I'd do it anyway!

Half? Half a pie? Amateur. :wavey:

Can I ask, what exactly is a Key Lime pie? I mean, I have a rough idea, I've seen some sad little frozen factory-food versions in stores, but what I'm trying to find out (before our weekend guests arrive...) is what a really, really good KLP looks and tastes like. A recipe would be awesome, but just a list of features of a good 'un would help - I can find plenty recipes online to tweak.

Also banana cream pie and silk? I haven't had either but they sound intriguing.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1314361885|3000095 said:

Can I ask, what exactly is a Key Lime pie? I mean, I have a rough idea, I've seen some sad little frozen factory-food versions in stores, but what I'm trying to find out (before our weekend guests arrive...) is what a really, really good KLP looks and tastes like. A recipe would be awesome, but just a list of features of a good 'un would help - I can find plenty recipes online to tweak.

A good key lime pie has....key limes. You need to get some FRESH limes imported from the Florida Keys, hence the key lime name. There are versions of key lime juice, but the specifics of a key lime make them not as bitter as a regular lime, more tart and not the overwhelming taste of a lime.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Blueberry.

I don't actually like apple pie . . .

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sillyberry|1314315194|2999713 said:
I'll eat pie, but I don't love pie. It's actually been a really long time since I had a slice of good pie.

::gasp::

I think this is largely a matter of people (and places) not making good pies from scratch anymore.

sillyberry-

It's a good thing you put the word, "good" in as a disclaimer! There has been many a Thanksgiving with my extended family over the years when the pies made from scratch, even by people who had been baking pies for decades, were definitely not what I would call, "good"!!! Now my mother's and my grandmother's pies were never among those "not good" pies, but the pies of my great aunts were surprisingly lackluster. They were full of good apples, but I remember little sweetness and a crust that I did not really want to eat! A heavy, grey crust a bit like cardboard....

Deb/AGBF

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Pumpkin, followed by Apple :lickout:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
coco cream pie!!!!!!! oh it sounds heavenly right now!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Now starving

What is silk pie???

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Yes what is silk pie and banana cream pie please??

Maple bacon pecan pie sounds AMAZING. Any chance of a recipe??? I LOVE the sweet and salty mix - my number one reason for going to the cinema is so I can pour my bag of maltesers into my bag of fresh salty popcorn and mix them around. Sweet/salty goodness :cheeky:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
charbie|1314365806|3000142 said:
Jennifer W|1314361885|3000095 said:

A good key lime pie has....key limes. You need to get some FRESH limes imported from the Florida Keys, hence the key lime name. There are versions of key lime juice, but the specifics of a key lime make them not as bitter as a regular lime, more tart and not the overwhelming taste of a lime.

Ah! That figures - I was trying to imagine how the limes I have here would taste good in the recipes I've found. Thanks - maybe this is something I just shouldn't attempt to make, I don't think I can get the right variety of lime.

It's presumably similar to the difference when you make a tart au citron with fresh, sweet-sour, flavour bursting Sicilian or Provence lemons, or with the sad, hard, slightly green ones from the supermarket.

So, what about silk pie? Banana cream? What do / should they look like?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
1. Chocolate pecan pie (no Karo syrup. I make my own caramel).

2. Sour cream apple pie

3. peach pie (just made one last wek from peaches I picked at a local farm. yummy!)

4. Key Lime (I use the Nellie and Joe's key lime juice)

5. Banana Cream

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jennifer W|1314381097|3000452 said:
So, what about silk pie? Banana cream? What do / should they look like?

Ah...you poor Brits! One has to forgive your cultural ignorance, I guess. After all, we don't know all that much about marmite and spotted dick. You really should look into banana cream pie, however! There are even more yummy pictures of it on Google images. We should hold a contest. Or, better yet, hold one for the best looking picture of a coconut cream pie; those don't have any slices of banana turn color on them over time!

Deb/AGBF

BananaCreamPie2.jpg

BananaCreamPie1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results