Ideal_Rock
Pumpkin's my favorite.

Aoife - I love it for breakfast, too. :lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I * WANT * PIE!!!! :lickout:

OMG- all those sound delicious!!!!!!

If I had to pick a favorite I would have to choose my husband's amazing (and award winning!) apple pie (or his decadent cheese cake-but that's not pie) or my sister's awesome chocolate peanut butter pie. OK I picked more than one but they are both just so darn yummy!!!!

(Why does food that tastes so amazing have so so many calories ;( )

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hands down BANANA CREAM! I can eat the whole pie, I swear... But there's always someone else who wants a piece...

purselover

Ideal_Rock
In the Spring/Summer -blueberry
Fall/Winter -pumpkin
All year -banana cream

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Key Lime and Lemon Meringue. Mmmmmmmm, pie.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I love pumpkin pie.

I also am a huge fan of hot blueberry or apple pie with vanilla ice cream melting over it. :lickout:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heraanderson|1314254040|2999015 said:
Wait, did I miss a good brawl on here?

I know, heraanderson, that was my first thought when I saw the thread title, too! No brawl yet, but there still may be one. I really don't understand why anyone would put meringue on top of lemon. Lemon is magnificent, but surely if one wants to put something on top of it, it should be whipped cream! I just don't understand meringue or its followers! It is sticky and when I get it on my pie, I just want to get rid of it (usually by eating it) as soon as possible. I don't know why anyone bothers to fuss making meringue-beating egg whites and all-when whipped cream would please me so much more.

The Key Lime is, of course, divine. As posted above, even Key Lime is second to coconut cream pie.

Deb
:read:

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1314245002|2998910 said:
I just made a strawberry-rhubarb pie and cannot stop eating it!
YUM! This is my favourite. Can I come over?

I just made a caramel pineapple pie. Yummy. I also love good old fashioned apple and cinnamon crumble. Oh and I adore a good banoffee pie. And lime and lemon meringue and blueberry and... I pretty much just love pie.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Porridge|1314280796|2999139 said:
slg47|1314245002|2998910 said:
I just made a strawberry-rhubarb pie and cannot stop eating it!
YUM! This is my favourite. Can I come over?

I just made a caramel pineapple pie. Yummy. I also love good old fashioned apple and cinnamon crumble. Oh and I adore a good banoffee pie. And lime and lemon meringue and blueberry and... I pretty much just love pie.

sure but there might not be any pie left!

yssie here is the recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-challenge/grandmas-strawberry-rhubarb-pie-recipe/index.html

I used a different crust though (but similar to the one listed)
I want to try making the pie crust with vodka...my friend does this and apparently it inhibits the gluten formation so you can't add too much...

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Olliberry from Avila Farms, a little farmers market near San Luis Obispo CA

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1314245629|2998923 said:
It may be easier for me to list the pies I don't like. But, if I had to prioritize, I'd choose apple
I would go with Cherry probably overall. But I am the same. Its hard for me to turn down pie.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fudge Bottom pie. AMAZING. My favorite fruit pie is apple.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Mmmm...I love a good, fresh, fruit pie

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peach pie! Yum!

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Cherry or pumpkin. Hard to decide, but, I love those!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Toll-house cookie pie. Yum!

I also love apple crisp, which isn't really a pie but it's close enough.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I don't have a favourite... sweet pie isn't something you often come across in Scotland. Apple maybe, or the occasional lemon meringue, but you don't often see any other sort on sale in grocery stores or restaurants.

One thing we do have is bakers shop rhubarb pies. They're a sort of by-product, I think. Meat pies are really popular here. If you ask for "a pie" you'll get a round shortcrust pastry case filled with unidentified meat, often including mutton. Do not enquire too closely as to what these pies actually contain, just accept that they taste really good on a cold day when you're very hungry indeed, but you probably don't want to eat too many of them. Anyway, some bakers use the same pie crust and fill it with cooked rhubarb. Savoury pastry, sweet fruit filling. It's weird and revolting (and sometimes it just hits the spot). ;))

They're called Scotch pies, I think. Obviously we don't call them that here, they're just Pies.

eta photo attached. What's in there? Could be mutton, could be rhubarb...We like to live on the edge. :bigsmile:

dfr43.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Chocolate haupia (coconut) pie from Ted's Bakery in Oahu's north shore. It's so light and delicious, I devoured 3 slices by myself. Could have had more but we had to eat dinner in 30 mins.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1314246957|2998947 said:
Am I the only one that loves Pecan pie? I ate at least one whole pecan pie a week while pregnant with my daughter!

I adore pecan pie. Doesn't seem like many people like it though. I like peach pie really well too!

charbie

Ideal_Rock
My sister owns a pie shop...it is actually going to be opening in the next month or so. :bigsmile:
She used to work for a pie shop and has now branched on her own, and lemme just tell you, she makes the most amazing pies.

Peanut butter banana cream? Yummo.
Peach/Apple: we call it the 'people' pie.

Ill be happy to pass on the info once she opens, bc her pie is going to be famous.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Warm apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, please! Mmmmmm. Less than two months until my annual Apple Fest. I can't wait!!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1314290578|2999304 said:
Toll-house cookie pie. Yum!

I also love apple crisp, which isn't really a pie but it's close enough.
Oooh, me too. And it's so easy to make!

butterflyblue

Shiny_Rock
Definately hard for me to chose just one I love pie too!

Apple pie, Lemon Merinque, Banana Cream, Pumpkin, French Silk, Strawberry Rubharb, ugh I could totally keep going on and on! :appl:

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Jennifer W|1314290681|2999307 said:
I don't have a favourite... sweet pie isn't something you often come across in Scotland. Apple maybe, or the occasional lemon meringue, but you don't often see any other sort on sale in grocery stores or restaurants.

One thing we do have is bakers shop rhubarb pies. They're a sort of by-product, I think. Meat pies are really popular here. If you ask for "a pie" you'll get a round shortcrust pastry case filled with unidentified meat, often including mutton. Do not enquire too closely as to what these pies actually contain, just accept that they taste really good on a cold day when you're very hungry indeed, but you probably don't want to eat too many of them. Anyway, some bakers use the same pie crust and fill it with cooked rhubarb. Savoury pastry, sweet fruit filling. It's weird and revolting (and sometimes it just hits the spot). ;))

They're called Scotch pies, I think. Obviously we don't call them that here, they're just Pies.

eta photo attached. What's in there? Could be mutton, could be rhubarb...We like to live on the edge. :bigsmile:

I LOVE scotch pies! and Steak and Guinness, and Chicken and Tarragon, and Smoked Fish and Cider pie....I could go on - I definately would take a savoury pie over sweet most days.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I add shepard's pie, too? Actually, make that cottage pie. :bigsmile: I don't eat lamb.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If we're opening it up to savoury pies, my favourite would be steak. No kidney or onion etc please, just unadulterated steak pie, with lots of perfect puff pastry - crisp layers on top, a lovely soggy, gravy-laden layer under, top crust only.

OMG. I'm hungry. There's salad in the kitchen and that's just about it... :-o

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Maybe we can start a brawl over pies? How ironic would that be?

I don't like fruit pies (are these fighting words?). I will scoop out the fruit and just eat the crust with ice cream.

I LOOOOVE Banana Cream pie. And I am a big fan of pecan pie, especially if there are chocolate chips in it. In fact, I may bake one for myself this weekend because I have a feeling that this craving is going to nag at me until I give in.

ETA: Speaking of savory pies, I remember having a to-die-for lamb pie in Wales. I don't think we have anything like it here in the states, but it was love at first bite.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
NEL -- I'll trade you the crust for the filling. Unless it's graham cracker crust. Then you're on your own. :bigsmile:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Derby

Apple

Chess

ETA.... I'd never had meat pies until we came to SA. I love a pepper steak pie!

2nd ETA... How did I forget about pumpkin pie?!?!? So yummy ESP if you top it with bourbon flavored homemade whip cream!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1314279815|2999131 said:
heraanderson|1314254040|2999015 said:
I really don't understand why anyone would put meringue on top of lemon. Lemon is magnificent, but surely if one wants to put something on top of it, it should be whipped cream! I just don't understand meringue or its followers! It is sticky and when I get it on my pie, I just want to get rid of it (usually by eating it) as soon as possible. I don't know why anyone bothers to fuss making meringue-beating egg whites and all-when whipped cream would please me so much more.

If you don't like desserts that are too heavy or too sweet, homemade lemon meringue pie is great. I love lemon desserts in general because they're not too sweet but with a light and airy meringue on top, its even better. With homemade, you can control the amount of sugar in each. I like key lime pie too but somehow the lack of meringue-y topping makes it feel heavier to eat. Probably psychological, I know, but I found out for me that's true - even if by accident. I once asked my grandmother to make me a chocolate cream pie - for some reason I wanted that rather than lemon meringue - she misunderstood and made me a chocolate meringue pie. It wasn't the same. I wanted the chocolate cream pie to be heavy - like comfort food but with the meringue, it felt rather too lightweight.

My favorite cake is angel food cake with fresh strawberries and second favorite is classic white cake. Actually my second favorite pie would be either a pumpkin or chocolate cream pie. Sometimes I like heavier desserts but not too often.

And of course, being a born Southerner, homemade chicken pot pie is the best!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results