shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite chain length?

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
What is your favorite chain length? I want to get my daughter a bezel gem pendant set in silver for Hanukkah. I can't decide what chain length to get her. She is 5'6 and average weight. I am thinking 18 inches. She does not currently wear any necklaces but asked me to buy her one and surprise her on the design.

Tell me your favorite chain length and recommendation please.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on the size of her neck and what length she’ll prefer. I am also 5’6” and I prefer close to the neck and my neck is slender so 14” is choker length on me. Most of my necklaces are 15”.

What you could do is make a jump ring at additional lengths giving her more options. I think 15” with a jump ring at 16” and 17” gives a few nice options. Alternatively you can buy an extender and change the necklace length that way.

If your dd prefers longer necklaces ignore everything I wrote lol. Also it depends on the necklines of her shirts/tops/dresses.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 16-17" for a small pendant.

With an 18" chain, pendants tend to slip under the neck of my tops.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 16 or 17 would be better. I'm 5' 7" and wear mine at 17 inches. If I were younger I might go shorter but at my age you dont
want to draw the eye to the neck wrinkles :lol:.

I know my DD would prefer shorter. She would not want anything drawing the eyes down near her breast. Unfortunately, at 16 she's still not
used to having them.

I think the chain length kind of depends on the pendant for me. So a solitaire type of pendant (something small) I’m happy to have at a 14-15” length (which for me is choker/hollow of the neck kind of length). A huge pendant I would prefer something much much longer, like 24”. I like missy’s suggestion of jump rings to have a necklace that can be worn at whatever length of choice (id typically want 4/5 rings if doable to really vary length, also helps with stacking!)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on which pendant and what I am wearing. One of my necklaces has an adjustable chain. Love that thing! I am able to hook it at the length I want that day so no issue with it being just a bit too long/short. Would love to get one or two for pendants as I am always swapping things to different chains or not wearing what I would have liked due to the chains not being the right length for what I need.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer mine at 15” or 17“. Mine have a jump ring in them so I can adjust according to what I’m wearing. Although, I rarely wear it at 17”.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 5' 7" & I prefer 16 or 17 inches for a more delicate pendant.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 16 to17 inches. 18 inches on me hangs below my shirt or right at the neckline, so I constantly pulling my pendant out of my shirt.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 5'6" with a slimmer neck... I like a 17" for a smaller pendant.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A longer DBTY is fun and casual, and something she wouldn't ever "age out of" - she could enjoy it through adulthood ::)

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the shirts I wear usually a 16".

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
17 or 18 inches
i think as we get older we like longer
i just scraped the 14 inch gold chain mum and dad gave me for for 15th birthday
i wore it for years and years and then one day i just didn't enjoy the shorter length any more and it sat in a drawer for the last 10 - 15 years

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer 16-18inch chain with jump rings to allow for changes. Think choker length is quite popular with young women at the moment?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15-16 is perfect for me, if I was wearing only one.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am glad I asked! I was going to go with 18 inches. I decided to "ruin" the surprise and just tell her I was going to get her a necklace (she had been hinting). I let her try on a 16 inch and 18 inch chain I have and she liked the 16 inch chain. So, 16 inch it is! She told me she has been drooling over some pendants on Jamesavery.com. and was not into a bezel pendant that I had originally planned. I got her big sister some jewelry there in the past. She asked me if she could pick a few pieces and then email me to surprise her from those choices. Ahhh, a future PS'er!! She wants a small solid silver pendant.

I want her to be happy and wear it so I gave her a budget and said yes. Win win for both of us because I now she will like what she gets. I will post what I end up getting her!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pleasantly plump so I wear mine at 20 inches.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
18-20 for me...a plus sized person.

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
16 inches for me. 18 gets hidden down my usual tops.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My daily necklace is 17”, and I’m 5’7, medium built, with what I thought was a slender neck, but I can’t imagine wearing anything shorter than 16”, it would be a choker....here is a picture (please excuse the ugly pajamas)
Editing to add: so true about wrinkly necks and needing longer chains as we age. I’m thinking 18” from here on out! C701754A-C8A3-4353-A45F-7CED30FBF504.jpeg

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for the input. My daughter picked out this because she is obsessed with bees! I ordered for her the chain that adjusts from 15 to 17 inches. She liked my 16 inch but could easily have gone shorter or longer so the adjustment is ideal for her.

Jaysonsmom beautiful pendant! What size is your diamond? It looks huge on you. I love the clean lines of your setting.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the input. My daughter picked out this because she is obsessed with bees! I ordered for her the chain that adjusts from 15 to 17 inches. She liked my 16 inch but could easily have gone shorter or longer so the adjustment is ideal for her.

Jaysonsmom beautiful pendant! What size is your diamond? It looks huge on you. I love the clean lines of your setting.

adjustable chain = great solution! i wear 15"-16" for small pendants too (also 5'6") i'm sure it'll look great on her.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

@asscherisme, my pedant diamond is 1.12ct, and was my mom's first diamond purchased in the 80's so it was cut to 60/60 proportions which makes the diamond look bigger IMO

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Jaysonsmom,I would have guessed 1.5ct. Anyway, beautiful and the fact it was your mom's makes it even more special!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results