• long board shorts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm doing an informal poll on your bathing suit style, and you can post reason why you picked a certain style...
I'm going on a Disney cruise, and just bought 2 bikinis. My mom who is very conservative said that it's a family vacay, I should have gotten tankini's or one-piece. What are your thoughts on appropriate swim attire?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
It's rare I ever wear a bathing suit....I've just been too busy. However, when I do wear one its a bikini with more coverage. I have a large chest so I couldn't imagine wearing a string bikini because it would never hold those puppies up and I'm just not into very small bikini's. I have one that has a skirt bottom and I love it. Perfect amount of coverage for me :)

I don't think there is anything inappropriate in wearing a bikini on a family vacation.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Bikinis are perfectly acceptable on a family cruise! Your kids are old enough so i dont think one pieces or tankinis are necessary. (no little ones yanking on stuff or dragging stuff down...)

eta, i wear bikinis because they're the most flattering on me. i'm a 32B so it's not like there's much to cover up, haha. plus i'm short legged, so tankinis make me look even shorter because it elongates my torso.

JuneRose

Brilliant_Rock
I can't even imagine someone thinking a bikini isn't "family appropriate"?! I mean ok if it's a tiny thong bikini maybe ;-) but everyone wears bikinis!

I will continue to wear bikinis until I feel uncomfortable wearing one.

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I voted for 1 piece (preferably strapless) but that's more about my own comfort than anything else. I don't see anything wrong with wearing a bikini on a cruise or any other appropriate setting.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
The bikini's I bought (and the ones I already have) are all bikini's with medium coverage on the top (such as halters) and medium coverage on the bottom (1-2" of fabric on the sides, not string). My parents are coming on the cruise with us, and I think it makes them more uncomfortable to see me in a 2 piece than me being in a 2-piece.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i say if you can rock the bikini - do it. I'm guessing for everyone, there will come a day when we can't or don't feel comfortable, so do it while you can!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was younger it was always a bikini but after 3 kids...it's a "Mom" suit. It is still cute though. The little skirt is
short and I still feel somewhat sexy.

Edit - oh, I'm not saying you should wear a Mom suit...if you can rock a bikini then by all means!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always worn a two piece with moderate coverage...for as long as I can remember! I have some string bikinis but those are for adult times in not so public places. No one else needs to see my butt cheeks or side boobs.

I see nothing wrong with wearing a two piece on a family vacay. It does sound like your parents are the ones who are uncomfortable with it. Just try to wear your cover up if you're not in the water in their presence--look for something sheer that at least lets in some sun. It's nice that your parents are able to join you on your vacation with the kids and your husband and that may not happen many more times in their lives so if they are that conservative will it be a huge problem for you to cover up a little?

When I grew up my family spent a lot of time at the lake, boating, fishing, or going to FL for family vacays and I just remember my dad saying once, "you have a nice figure but you don't need to show it ALL." That was all I needed to hear as far as modesty from my parents and it kept me fairly conservative in my swimwear choices. He never made me feel uncomfortable about my body, though, that was all Mom. :rolleyes:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
A bikini with a little more coverage is my style--- and I think it's perfectly acceptable for a family vacation.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't swim. I haven't "swam" since my honeymoon over 6 years ago, but even then it was brief. Part is to maintain my hair color and the fact that I hate when my hair is wet. And the rest is just that I don't like to be seen in a swimsuit.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, I've never really had the figure for a bikini - even in my younger years when I exercised a lot (idk, I just have a weird body shape or something) so I've always stuck with one pieces, and these days I've moved on to the tankini with the little skirts. But if I felt good about my figure and felt I looked good in a bikini, I'd wear one in a heartbeat.

I say wear what you want, and what you're comfortable in! Your suits are obviously not the teeny-tiny style of bikini, and I think it would be totally appropriate for a disney cruise.

I hate to be critical of people's parents, but you're an adult and your mother should just really let you do your own thing at this point! Hard for parents to let go sometimes, though.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1314734268|3005636 said:
I see nothing wrong with wearing a two piece on a family vacay. It does sound like your parents are the ones who are uncomfortable with it. Just try to wear your cover up if you're not in the water in their presence--look for something sheer that at least lets in some sun. It's nice that your parents are able to join you on your vacation with the kids and your husband and that may not happen many more times in their lives so if they are that conservative will it be a huge problem for you to cover up a little?

I agree with Monarch here. Regardless of what you are comfortable in, you should take your parents comfort into consideration also and make sure that what you pack won't make them uncomfortable.

Maybe pack something a little less parent-friendly and arrange a day/evening when your parents can take the kids so you and your DH can have some time alone.

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I've only recently, like in the last three years, felt comfortable wearing a bikini. That being said, I still only really wear the top, and I wear the bottoms covered with board shorts. I literally have a pair that I bought in the men's section that I wear. My tops are not string, and I make sure I have control of how tight the straps are. I even sometimes wear a tank too. Therefore...I look silly, but, I LOVE the water, so I don't really care!

I'd say, wear what you're comfortable with and don't wear what you wouldn't want to see on others at your family vacation. :sun:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I can't wear most one piece suits because I'm way too tall for them. If I go for a stylish one, I end up walking around with perma-wedgy all day. I used to wear the extra long ones for professional swimmers, but they're expensive and a touch dorky next to my friends in their string bikinis!

I usually wear a bikini with a bit more coverage. I like the bandeau style tops and bottoms that are wide enough to cover the sides of my butt. I have a few string bikinis, but they show areas I'm not overly proud of so I don't wear them with confidence, and you need confidence to pull off wearing a string bikini!

I think a bikini with a bit of coverage is perfectly acceptable on a cruise. Wear what you feel most comfortable in!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I wore a bikini when we went on vacation last month. I wore a tankini or one piece for the parent-child swim lessons. For some reasons, I feel like I should be more covered up for the lessons.

I think a cover-up would be a nice compromise for you and your mom. But I agree with the poster who said that we can't wear a bikini forever, so rock it while you can. Sorry I am no help because my mom is the type who would say rock it if you can.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I vacation in a tropical place I want to come back with a tan and I don't want a white fish belly! Here in Maine I'll wear one piece suits if the surf's a bit rough and I plan to spend time in the water, otherwise it's a bikini much like the ones you describe. I'm 50. Your mom needs to lighten up. I don't care how conservative she is, she is going to see plenty of other grown women wearing bikinis on this cruise, you might as well be one of them!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
It took a while for me to be comfortable to wear a bikini. For no reason at all except I've always had one-pieces and wearing a bikini made me feel really exposed. Now that's all I have, although I bought a tankini recently that I also rather like.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What's taking DF so long to ask for pics?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1314738256|3005699 said:
What's taking DF so long to ask for pics?

Bahahahaha!!!! No kidding!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
TooPatient|1314735119|3005652 said:

I agree with Monarch here. Regardless of what you are comfortable in, you should take your parents comfort into consideration also and make sure that what you pack won't make them uncomfortable.

Maybe pack something a little less parent-friendly and arrange a day/evening when your parents can take the kids so you and your DH can have some time alone.

Okay, my mind is boggling, here. Which seems to be happening more and more these days, but that's another whole issue. I totally disagree with the bolded quotes.

Coming at this from the perspective of someone who is past the age of wearing a bikini, and has adult daughters who occasionally come on vacation with us, I really, really don't understand how what swimsuit you wear could possibly be any business of your parents. Especially in this case, where the bikini is clearly on the moderate side. If your mother thinks that bikini is shocking, wait until she gets a look at some of the other swimsuits that are likely to be pool or beach-side!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As long as you're not falling out of it (both chest and tush), I think a bikini is fine for a family vacay....flaunt it while you can! Personally, I wear a bikini top with a skirted bottom (not that I'm fooling anyone by trying to hide my...err...cottage cheese...but it makes me feel better knowing that it's not waving around for everyone to suffer having to see)....

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aoife|1314739064|3005708 said:
TooPatient|1314735119|3005652 said:

Okay, my mind is boggling, here. Which seems to be happening more and more these days, but that's another whole issue. I totally disagree with the bolded quotes.

Coming at this from the perspective of someone who is past the age of wearing a bikini, and has adult daughters who occasionally come on vacation with us, I really, really don't understand how what swimsuit you wear could possibly be any business of your parents. Especially in this case, where the bikini is clearly on the moderate side. If your mother thinks that bikini is shocking, wait until she gets a look at some of the other swimsuits that are likely to be pool or beach-side!

Ditto! I guarantee there will be plenty of bikinis on the cruise! It's your parents' problem, not yours. You're an adult and should wear whatever you want.

Besides, bathing suits are expensive-I would only spend money on one I actually like!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1314739687|3005714 said:
As long as you're not falling out of it (both chest and tush), I think a bikini is fine for a family vacay....flaunt it while you can! Personally, I wear a bikini top with a skirted bottom (not that I'm fooling anyone by trying to hide my...err...cottage cheese...but it makes me feel better knowing that it's not waving around for everyone to suffer having to see)....

Funny, cause thats exactly what I try to do by wearing my skirt bottom, hahahhahhahha. :D

SC86

Shiny_Rock
I wish I was in bikini shape! If I was I'd definitely be rocking one! I really don't think there is anything inappropriate about a bikini for a family event. But I also have really conservative parents that would say something about what I was wearing, so I understand where you are coming from. My mom even yelled at me to wear something that covered my legs when we were meeting my boyfriend's parents for the first time (and I was wearing a knee length dress!). If you're comfortable wearing your bikini's don't let other people say it's inappropriate!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I think if I were in a bikini, other passengers might try to jump overboard...

But I do like to actually swim, so I chose the athletic one-piece.

I honestly believe there is nothing wrong with trying to find a compromise here...would your parents' discomfort make you uncomfortable?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bikini, no question.

I don't find it at all inappropriate for parents to wear bikinis around their children, so long as they're not letting everything hang out - it sounds like what you've chosen is perfectly (and appropriately) modest.

I know exactly what you mean - growing up I wasn't allowed to wear sleeveless dresses or tops. Because a woman's shoulders shouldn't be exposed, or something :rolleyes: Needless to say, I've come to judge appropriate dress by my own standards - which are conservative, but a far cry from what much of the rest of my family espouses!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My parents have seen me in a 2 piece before, but usually when I take the kids for an 1 hour swim at the pool, and I do wear a cover-up when I'm not in the water. I guess their concern is that on a cruise, people are in a bathing suit 24/7, and they probably don't want me flaunting my goods while standing in line for a snack for eg. And by goods, I don't have much to flaunt....modest B cups here.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jas|1314741243|3005735 said:
I think if I were in a bikini, other passengers might try to jump overboard...

But I do like to actually swim, so I chose the athletic one-piece.

I honestly believe there is nothing wrong with trying to find a compromise here...would your parents' discomfort make you uncomfortable?

lol

Im a modest one, so yes I wear a Tankini, and boy short, I actually look better in boy shorts anyways i think

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For fun/recreation I wear my tankini, but when I swim for a workout I wear my racer-back one-piece. I myself am more comfortable in these kinds of suits, but I do agree that bikinis are perfectly appropriate for family vacations. I've seen videos and photos of family cruises taken by friends (Disney and Carnival), and bikinis/two-pieces were prevalent as were tank-style and maillot suits. I'm thinking your conservative mom may be surprised by the swim attire she'll see on the cruise!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results