shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your A1C?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm somewhat surprised that my A1C is at 5.5 :osince I don't watch what I eat. 2 yrs ago it was 5.6

Triglycerides 137 lower than 2 yrs ago.
High Cholesterol 273

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
I don’t know what mine is. It's been entirely too long since I've had blood work.
Diabetes doesn't run in my family so hopefully I'm ok.

4.3 last measured. Quite proud of myself as when I was obese it was hovering around 6.

Trigs 53 vs 70-something (72 I think?)
Total Cholesterol 120 vs 200.

changes made: eating low carb and exercising (reluctantly) a few times a week.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ugh dont ask it was way high the last time it was checked and Iv got another month before I can see an endocrinologist. There was a 2 month wait for an appointment.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
7.1 last time, I think.
I have been dx'd diabetic for 8 years and the numbers are getting harder to keep in check. I just participated in a CGM study (continuous glucose monitoring) to see what happens to my sugar. I was 96% of the time in range for a diabetic. Still, it is HARD to maintain this control. I walk a tight rope 24/7 and can't eat things that normal people can. I miss rice. I miss oatmeal and even plain healthy breakfast cereal shoots me into high sugar. Desert is a bite of hubby's, because more than a bite would send me to the moon. I would love a real bowl of icecream. Even being careful, I know soon I will need to increase meds to stay where I want to be. My dad died of diabetes at 52. I am 56 and am fearful of it cutting my life short. Both my siblings have it too. Not to be a downer, but I really hate this disease.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somewhere around 6, but it swings a little.

Triglycerides are around 75. Cholesterol is within range - HDL is very good.

My A1C is high because I'm on daily prednisone. I take my blood glucose most mornings, and it's normally in the 90's, so that's a good thing. It shoots after prednisone, tho, which I hate, but then comes down again as the day progresses.

When not on prednisone, it's around 5.5 - 5.7, or maybe a smidge lower.

@MMtwo - I eat a keto or very low carb diet (no grains, no legumes, no added sugars, no pasta, corn, rice, bread, potatoes, etcetcetc) - and I love it. My go-to dessert is cheesecake or chocolate mousse (my two favorite desserts anyway), I still eat chocolate, tho sparingly, and yesterday I had cheese and spinach waffles with a side of steak for brunch, then chicken florentine casserole with broccoli, cauliflower and buttered carrots for dinner. Since discovering parmesan crisps that substitute for crackers, I feel that my life is now complete!

You're dead right, tho, in that there are a LOT of things I can't eat. But I just feel so much BETTER - it's worth it for me. And I enjoy cooking, so I always have things I like. I don't eat a lot of red meat (yesterday's brunch was made by my goddaughter), and I prefer not to eat any pork products. I eat a LOT of pink fish, eggs, salad and veges, and a reasonable amount of dairy, and a slice of Castello cheese is my go-to snack.

My skin has aways been pretty good, but since going keto, the redness in my face has gone and my skin is much improved. Cutting the inflammation caused by carbs is a really 'youthening' thing to do - and I think will stand me in very good stead as I age. It's also reduced the pain of arthritis in my knees, as it has reduced the inflammation in my body in every area.

I'm in a die-hard 'reversing diabetes' keto group on FB, and the success stories there are extraordinary. Almost nobody who has done the diet long term is either overweight or on meds for diabetes, and we've got more than one person in that group who started keto the week before they were due to start dialysis. Once you're in the swing of it, it's a very simple diet and hugely effective. So - just a thought, since it seems you're already not eating the things you'd like to eat. If that's the case, you may as well go the last little bit and get the benefits as well as the pain!

Good luck! :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HgA1C was 4.9 at last check.
Cholesterol 165
HDL 81
LDL 74
Triglycerides 49

7.1 last time, I think.
I have been dx'd diabetic for 8 years and the numbers are getting harder to keep in check. I just participated in a CGM study (continuous glucose monitoring) to see what happens to my sugar. I was 96% of the time in range for a diabetic. Still, it is HARD to maintain this control. I walk a tight rope 24/7 and can't eat things that normal people can. I miss rice. I miss oatmeal and even plain healthy breakfast cereal shoots me into high sugar. Desert is a bite of hubby's, because more than a bite would send me to the moon. I would love a real bowl of icecream. Even being careful, I know soon I will need to increase meds to stay where I want to be. My dad died of diabetes at 52. I am 56 and am fearful of it cutting my life short. Both my siblings have it too. Not to be a downer, but I really hate this disease.

Seconding @Mrs-b’s response, I don’t want to give medical advice or anything but I started developing issues with insulin resistance and prediabetes in my early 20s and basically reversed that trend with low carb / keto (I oscillate between full keto and general low carb).

And if you’re able to tolerate sweeteners, like erythritol (0 glycemic load) I could pass on some excellent ice cream recipes - I eat it frequently :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What unit of measure are you lot using please in US as the results of my most recent blood test in UK look very different to the ones mentioned above?

TIA.

DK :))

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1C = 5.2. BG = 98

No one in my family has diabetes. It runs rife in my husband's family since the propensity to develop Type 2 diabetes can be passed on to younger generations. The same is NOT true for Type 1 diabetes. My brother-in-law developed Type 1 as a young adult. He had caught chicken pox, and in fighting that disease, his immune system went haywire and attacked the insulin-producing cells in his pancreas.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A1C = 5.2. BG = 98

No one in my family has diabetes. It runs rife in my husband's family since the propensity to develop Type 2 diabetes can be passed on to younger generations. The same is NOT true for Type 1 diabetes. My brother-in-law developed Type 1 as a young adult. He had caught chicken pox, and in fighting that disease, his immune system went haywire and attacked the insulin-producing cells in his pancreas.

How incredibly unfortunate! I'm so sorry to hear this, @doberman. :cry2:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
unfortunately, my cholesterol level is not as good.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had it checked last October and I will get it checked this Thursday but my A1C is 5.0 cholesterol I think last time I had it checked was around 160, I used to have a A1C of 11.9 but due to diet, exercise and lots of meds I have reduced it and I am now off all diabetic meds :appl:, still on cholesterol meds and a few others though

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
My A1C is 5.1. Oddly enough is was 5.6 in 2014. And I've since eaten way worse. I only ate chocolates back but then and now have progressed to cookies and cakes.

My cholesterol is 216. Hdl is 103, ldl is 89 and tri is 118. Not sure what any of it means. Diabetes and heart disease runs in both sides of my family. I need to reduce the white rice and bread but that's literally all my 12 year old eats. White rice or pasta with with cheese or soy sauce. Everyday. Breakfast lunch dinner. I don't know how he is still living. :confused::???:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Somewhere around 6, but it swings a little.

Triglycerides are around 75. Cholesterol is within range - HDL is very good.

My A1C is high because I'm on daily prednisone. I take my blood glucose most mornings, and it's normally in the 90's, so that's a good thing. It shoots after prednisone, tho, which I hate, but then comes down again as the day progresses.

When not on prednisone, it's around 5.5 - 5.7, or maybe a smidge lower.

@MMtwo - I eat a keto or very low carb diet (no grains, no legumes, no added sugars, no pasta, corn, rice, bread, potatoes, etcetcetc) - and I love it. My go-to dessert is cheesecake or chocolate mousse (my two favorite desserts anyway), I still eat chocolate, tho sparingly, and yesterday I had cheese and spinach waffles with a side of steak for brunch, then chicken florentine casserole with broccoli, cauliflower and buttered carrots for dinner. Since discovering parmesan crisps that substitute for crackers, I feel that my life is now complete!

You're dead right, tho, in that there are a LOT of things I can't eat. But I just feel so much BETTER - it's worth it for me. And I enjoy cooking, so I always have things I like. I don't eat a lot of red meat (yesterday's brunch was made by my goddaughter), and I prefer not to eat any pork products. I eat a LOT of pink fish, eggs, salad and veges, and a reasonable amount of dairy, and a slice of Castello cheese is my go-to snack.

My skin has aways been pretty good, but since going keto, the redness in my face has gone and my skin is much improved. Cutting the inflammation caused by carbs is a really 'youthening' thing to do - and I think will stand me in very good stead as I age. It's also reduced the pain of arthritis in my knees, as it has reduced the inflammation in my body in every area.

I'm in a die-hard 'reversing diabetes' keto group on FB, and the success stories there are extraordinary. Almost nobody who has done the diet long term is either overweight or on meds for diabetes, and we've got more than one person in that group who started keto the week before they were due to start dialysis. Once you're in the swing of it, it's a very simple diet and hugely effective. So - just a thought, since it seems you're already not eating the things you'd like to eat. If that's the case, you may as well go the last little bit and get the benefits as well as the pain!

Good luck! :wavey:

@mrs-b you were so kind to write this to me. Thank you. I did keto for the first two years after diagnosis and then I just burnt out and hit the wall. So a slice of 647 bread (lower carb, higher fiber) was added to breakfast, or 647 hamburger bun with a burger. It helped me feel more normal. Or, I will have a cup of whole grain pasta and augment my "pasta" with sautéed mushrooms.

I feel so tired and blah I need to do something to get energetic "me" back. Funny you should mention redness in the face. My face looks like someone slapped my cheeks. It's getting worse and maybe that is inflammation in general triggering the Rosacea.

You make a great point - I already do not eat normally, so why not go full keto. You may see a new person pop up on your FB group. I'll see if I can find it. It would be great to feel better.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Seconding @Mrs-b’s response, I don’t want to give medical advice or anything but I started developing issues with insulin resistance and prediabetes in my early 20s and basically reversed that trend with low carb / keto (I oscillate between full keto and general low carb).

And if you’re able to tolerate sweeteners, like erythritol (0 glycemic load) I could pass on some excellent ice cream recipes - I eat it frequently :)

Hi there AllAboardTheBlingTrain, I am so glad to hear it is working for you! Yes please, if you have icecream recipes, I would love to try them.

My contact is here:

Hi there AllAboardTheBlingTrain, I am so glad to hear it is working for you! Yes please, if you have icecream recipes, I would love to try them.

My contact is here:

This is a spectacular one: https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-death-by-chocolate-ice-cream/ but I never have xylitol on hand, so I usually make this one instead: https://www.gnom-gnom.com/keto-ice-cream-recipe/

Other amazing sites: I Breathe I’m Hungry, Maria Mind Body Health, Gnom Gnom and All Day I Dream About Food as previously mentioned, Keto Luna (Instagram) if you enjoy baking, Chocolate Covered Katie has a really good cake recipe that is surprisingly low calorie as well; Low Carb Yum has an ice cream recipe that is just 45kcal a serving (https://lowcarbyum.com/homemade-almond-milk-ice-cream/) - it’s a bit icy but it is perfect for the days you want to eat an entire pint of ice cream in one go.

For indian recipes specifically: Headbangers Kitchen, Priya Keto for India, Magic in my Food.

General substitutes: almost all bean and chickpea dishes (except hummus) can be prepared as normal with the replacement of the bean with black soybeans. If you crave lentils (like I do), red split lentils are the lowest carb lentil and a serving should not kick you out of ketosis.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My A1C varies from test to test. Last test was in the 4 range, but also resting GL is very low as well (usually 65-68 on labs)

I'm not a diabetic but also eat a very close to ketotonic diet as I can.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my diabetes test yesterday and it was 5.7, which makes me prediabetic. :cry: (The cut-off is 5.6.)

Diet, exercise, and nutritionist here I come.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well my labs are all screwed up but these are the 2nd set. Yes the numbers are jacked which is why I had to do yet another set of labs to ensure my doc was gettng the correct numbers.

A1C 4.2
Glucose 62
HDL 182 which is considered high and can be dangerous.
LDL 90

But I have real issues...like really bad ones.
Vitamin D is 19.9
Creatinine 105
Serum Ferritin 159
Apolipoprotein 121

I am truly a mess....

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My A1C is 5.5..Since 5.6 is the end of normal…I’m heading into a place where I need to watch it closely.

I was pretty low in Vitamin D. It’s taken me years but my last test was 51. That was after taking 3,000 units a day..I still take that dosage.

I copied my other stuff..It had a range so I thought it may be helpful..
A20F3F57-A5DF-4424-B738-9256848E0F29.jpeg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was pretty low in Vitamin D. It’s taken me years but my last test was 51. That was after taking 3,000 units a day..I still take that dosage.
I'm very low in vitamin M ;( ...MONEY! ;(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today my HgA1C is 5.0.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today my HgA1C is 5.0.
Missy

Ice creams is keeping your A1C low. ;))

My A1C is 5.5 ...My friends can't figure out why mine is only 5.5 b/c I don't watch what I eat. They don't eat much rice and pasta and their A1C are off chart. I eat noodles for lunch almost everyday.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy

Ice creams is keeping your A1C low. ;))

My A1C is 5.5 ...My friends can't figure out why mine is only 5.5 b/c I don't watch what I eat. They don't eat much rice and pasta and their A1C are off chart. I eat noodles for lunch almost everyday.

LOL I do eat lots of ice cream daily. Maybe too much. If I didn't perhaps my A1C would be 4. :lol:

Greg's is same as yours...5.5 (we just had blood work today) and it's because he eats chips so I told him less chips. I am a tough cookie (haha get it) when it comes to protecting my sweetie's health.

5.5 is OK but not great @Dancing Fire maybe try getting it down a few points if you can so you are around a long time to be there for your beautiful grandchildren. ❤️

Sharing the ice cream we enjoyed yesterday. So good.

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 3.02.17 PM.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL I do eat lots of ice cream daily. Maybe too much. If I didn't perhaps my A1C would be 4. :lol:
Nahhh, if you don't keep eating lots of ice cream your pancreas will go on vacation, will not produce enough Insulin then your A1C will shoot up! . :lol: I'll take 5.5 any day of the week. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results