shape
carat
color
clarity

What is up with Coach bags rising price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am looking for a new purse. Its been ages since I got one. I love coach and have carried one since I bought my first one 18 years ago. I have not gotten a new purse in 2 years and it seems that prices have gone up way more than I would expect in 2 years.

Did Coach raise their prices recently more than in the past? I know prices go up over time, but the jump seems really high.

Am I imagining it? And where is a great place to buy a coach but be sure its not counterfeit?

Pupper

Rough_Rock
oh i was in a coach store the other day, lured in by the luvly purse hanging in the window... $675!
6.gif
for a coach purse (NOT a tote)!
40.gif
it was too heavy so i don''t *really* want it, thankfully... prices have gone up! i think they were around $300-$400 for a purse about 3 yrs ago (the last time i bought a coach bag). not sure where to get them cheaper tho...

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
I wonder if they are following Tiffany's model and raising prices to keep their bags from being too trendy among younger kids? Also maybe because there are so many Coach outlets now, it makes it easier for people to obtain them at cheaper prices... it just seems like the Coach clientele is shifting, and maybe they want to revert back to a more "luxury" image.

I have several great Coach bags I love to carry, but I've started noticing that every middle and high school student I see has one too.... when I was in college, it was a bit disconcerting when the little girl I babysat for started carrying the same bag as me!
6.gif
5.gif

That being said, definitely check out a Coach outlet... there is one in my hometown and they have sales constantly (additional 30% off, etc.), on top of the already reduced outlet prices!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
When I buy a Coach bag, I do make my purchases from the outlet. Ephemery1 is correct in stating that prices are lower, especially when they further discount their already discounted prices. I just bought a black Soho Flap Satchel (see below picture I took from a Google image search), which would have been over $300 in the stores and I ended up buying it for $160. Originally, the bag was priced at $209 and then it happened to be on sale for an additional 20% off. Granted it is not the most trendy of Coach styles, but I really like the shape and the functionality of this bag, as it holds everything I need for work.

One must keep in mind that outlet stores do not always carry the same merchandise as their regular stores. For instance, the bag I just purchased is not offered on their website. However, my boyfriend purchased a hobo for me for Christmas from an actual Coach store, which I also saw at the outlet. Additionally, Coach outlets near me seem to have a much larger selection of solid leather bags and not as many with the logo pattern.

To answer your question, I agree with Ephemery1, as Coach may be deciding to trend up in their offerings at their Coach stores.

Soho Satchel.jpg

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 10:48:15 AM
Author:amylikesrocks
I am looking for a new purse. Its been ages since I got one. I love coach and have carried one since I bought my first one 18 years ago. I have not gotten a new purse in 2 years and it seems that prices have gone up way more than I would expect in 2 years.

Did Coach raise their prices recently more than in the past? I know prices go up over time, but the jump seems really high.

Am I imagining it?
Nope. So have the prices for Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Prada... the list goes on.

The U.S. dollar is very weak right now due to deficits/debts; for instance, the Euro is about 50% stronger versus the dollar than it was in 2002. Just that factor alone makes products that are sold globally cost 40-50% more than they used to. Add in the normal 3-5% inflation per year since the last time you shopped, and... sticker shock in the United States for global products.

I agree, it stinks.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2007 1:37:06 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis

Nope. So have the prices for Louis Vuitton, Burberry, Dolce & Gabbana, Gucci, Prada... the list goes on.

The U.S. dollar is very weak right now due to deficits/debts; for instance, the Euro is about 50% stronger versus the dollar than it was in 2002. Just that factor alone makes products that are sold globally cost 40-50% more than they used to. Add in the normal 3-5% inflation per year since the last time you shopped, and... sticker shock in the United States for global products.

I agree, it stinks.
I'm sure this will be a controversial response, but Coach has NO excuse for raising their prices because their bags are made in China. I was almost tempted into purchasing one last month when I bought a new bag, but was dissapointed by that and the fact that they are too trendy right now.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure this will be a controversial response, but Coach has NO excuse for raising their prices because their bags are made in China. I was almost tempted into purchasing one last month when I bought a new bag, but was dissapointed by that and the fact that they are too trendy right now.
Agree, Euro has no impact on Coach. I think it is 100% marketing. There are many people who are no longer interested in Coach b/c they see it on all the teenage kids waiting for the bus! So by increasing the prices they create a more (theoretically) exclusive concept.

Personally I don''t think this strategy will work for them. I wouldn''t pay up big money for a Coach bag right now. Maybe if they come out with something new....but I dunno. I even have a Coach gift cert that my MIL gave me and I have not found anything I want from them at all.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I still have my very first Coach bag that I purchased about 15 years ago and it still looks almost like new. But things have changed quite a bit with the manufacturing in recent years. And yeah I noticed both trends lately: 1) the owners of Coach bags seem to get younger and 2) the prices are VERY high now. What I don''t like is when there is a high price tag for one of fabric bags. I just can''t see paying an average of $300 for a fabric bag! If the bags were leather, the high price might be a bit easier to swallow. What keeps me shopping at Coach is that whenever I have a problem with my bag (even years after purchase) they are always eager to make it right. I have never shopped in LV or Gucci (maybe it''s the intimidation factor) so I don''t know their policies, but maybe I need to make a change.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2007 2:39:34 PM
Author: Beacon

I''m sure this will be a controversial response, but Coach has NO excuse for raising their prices because their bags are made in China. I was almost tempted into purchasing one last month when I bought a new bag, but was dissapointed by that and the fact that they are too trendy right now.
Agree, Euro has no impact on Coach. I think it is 100% marketing. There are many people who are no longer interested in Coach b/c they see it on all the teenage kids waiting for the bus! So by increasing the prices they create a more (theoretically) exclusive concept.

Personally I don''t think this strategy will work for them. I wouldn''t pay up big money for a Coach bag right now. Maybe if they come out with something new....but I dunno. I even have a Coach gift cert that my MIL gave me and I have not found anything I want from them at all.
Unfortunately, when products are sold in the global marketplace, the differences in currency valuations do make a difference.

Let''s say that a bag''s price is initially set when 90 US cents buys one euro like it did in 2002. To sell the bag for the same price in both the US and in France hypothetically, the price in the US in 2002 might be 200 dollars, and the price in France would be 220 Euros-- thus, because of the exchange rate, the bag costs the same initially. Then presume the dollar weakens to the point where it now in 2007 takes $1.40 to buy one euro. Since the company is in business to make a profit and there is no organized pressure by consumers to lower prices depending on current currency valuations in other foreign markets, companies peg the new price to the market which has the stronger currency (and buyers better able to have the disposable income on international goods). Thus, the price remains 220 Euros in France... but in order to buy 220 euros now, it takes 308 US dollars today. To have apples still compare to apples-- and to have the absolute price of the goods be the same in both markets-- the price of the bag in the US would go from $200 to $308 as the exchange rate goes from 90 cents to a $1.40.

Whether the bag is made in China or not is unfortunately not the relevant metric; its whether the bag is sold in an assortment of countries and how the end market''s currency is doing relative to other end market currencies. If they''re able to sell the bag for 220 euros in europe, they''re going to try and get 220 euros for it in the US. It''s just that to get 220 euros for it in the US, they now have to charge $308.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
How about this Coach ostrich handbag for $7,000??? I think they are really trying to market themselves as a higher end brand and the prices seem to support that.

Coachostrich7.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
YES!!! They have definately gone up! I have not bought a coach in a while, I''m kinda in a Gucci phase, but I do still get the emails. Recently I have been shocked at their prices. It kinda makes me mad. I loved for Coach for being reasonable, but offering quality, now they are just out of their minds!!! Definately hit up the outlets. I have even bought Coach bags at TJMaxx, so keep you eyes open!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yup, I''ve seen them in the TJ Maxx and Marshalls too. Coach claims these represent only a small part of their business and are comosed mostly of diverted products or overruns. However, I have seen them on the sale table at Nordstrom too.

I would never pay 7K for a Coach bag. No way. The bag has declined a lot in it''s image.

I was a big fan 20 years ago when they made simple, sturdy, well priced leather goods in the USA. But not they are not doing that and it''s too bad cause I did like the products. I used them a long time.

Now I am into Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs and I think the new Gucci bags are fantastic though really costly!!!

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Sundial: That bag is rather nice!! However the price is definitely a deal breaker.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the styling and designs of Coach bags as well as Dooneys, however I find it hard to buy a brand name bag that can be found at an outlet or in my local TJ Maxx or Marshalls, or sometimes other discount stores (I used to work for SteinMart and some of the stores got Coach from time to time, although they were usually noticeably seconds with scratches, etc.). If I''m going to invest in a handbag, I want it to be of first quality and not a ding on it whatsoever I guess, so I''ve been sticking to marc jacobs and Burberry as they seemed to have not ''trickled down'' yet. Next I think I''m moving on to LV...good quality and styling that will last 20-30 years and they still offer bags under $1k...I''ll likely never be able to afford more than that without going into debt! I love a great handbag but I''m not willing to elbow anyone in search of a great deal at the local discount store, ya know?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
My 15 yr. old daughter bought a fabric Coach logo bag this summer. She has quite a few friends that have them too. The bags do seem to be everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE. I bought a Coach Legacy this spring but it is leather and probably no one even knows it''s Coach. I really don''t want a bag that a bunch of teenagers have. I also agree that it seems the prices have gone up for bags that aren''t really that special. I wonder if Coach will price themselves right out of the market.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I got this Coach bag last year and took the Coach hang tag off it. I don''t think it looks "Coach" at all, and I liked it''s funky style and super soft leather.

I also like the plain legacy leathers, which it seems like they are re-introducing.

coach2resize.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Very unique bag Beacon!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do like Coach but I''ve never been a fan of their more trendy styles. I prefer the classic styles in full leather. I think the craftsmanship is good for the price though I haven''t bought a bag in the last 2 years or so so I suppose that could have changed. Unfortuantely LV and MJ and Burberry are still out of my price range. $300 is about as high as I can go and even then only once or twice a year.

I just learned that the bf''s grand mother was a Dior addict. Imagine the vintage Dior bags she must have had. He has no idea what happened to them after she passed. The thought of them being thrown out makes me a little nauseaus
face7.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/24/2007 12:35:09 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I do like Coach but I''ve never been a fan of their more trendy styles. I prefer the classic styles in full leather. I think the craftsmanship is good for the price though I haven''t bought a bag in the last 2 years or so so I suppose that could have changed. Unfortuantely LV and MJ and Burberry are still out of my price range. $300 is about as high as I can go and even then only once or twice a year.

I just learned that the bf''s grand mother was a Dior addict. Imagine the vintage Dior bags she must have had. He has no idea what happened to them after she passed. The thought of them being thrown out makes me a little nauseaus
face7.gif
I feel the same way - to me $300 is enough to spend on a bag! I like their leather styles and I have...um.... too many, but haven''t bought one since last winter. Was looking in their store and catalogue for fall and I see lots of styles I like but not for $600+, not for coach!

I agree their brand seems to be undergoing much the same issues as Tiffanys (w/ the silver) - being worn by the teenagers and people who previously might not have afforded or chosen their brand. I am no expert but I''m not sure price hikes are the answer unless they are confident they can get back their high price shoppers??

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i think they need an image overhaul to go along with their price overhaul!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
This makes me very sad to hear.
8.gif
For me Coach used to stand for quality and timelessness, not rampant consumerism fueled by idiotic fashion trends! The whole point was that you could get a beautiful leather purse or bag that would last you for years if not decades.

When they first came out with the fabric purses covered in their logos I was really shocked. And to hear that it''s now a teenage trend and the prices have gone through the roof? Well, I guess I''d better take some leather conditioner to my coach bags because it sound like they''ll have to do for a while.
39.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How funny my MIL and I just went to a coach outlet. I told myself I don't NEED anything. A diaper bag is basically going to be my purse for, oh...forever, buttttttt......their prices were really good and I wanted a nice brown purse. It was really comfortable, two tone brown, pebble leather and under $150 so yeah, I just HAD to have it.

I agree coach brand is not as elite as it used to be. I admit I have several of their fabric "c" bags but I do like many of their styles and I can't make the leap to the more expensive brands...yet.
1.gif
All my coach bags have really held up for years and years. Hopefully this one will to.

ETA: omieluv, I have that EXACT same bag except mine is chocolate brown and the logo fabric. I got it for x-mas a few years ago. I love the shape but just a warning, it is a tad uncomfortable (for me). I now realize I like flat straps. I feel like the rounded ones dig into my shoulder. I feel bad though since he paid retail for it.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I thought I was the only one that was dissapointed in Coach in the last decade. I have some lovely old Coach bags... i.e. 20-30 years old (from my mom and my Granni) plus ones I had in highschool and college that are about 10-15 years old. Love them. Solid leather. Made in the USA. And if anything went wrong (like the toggles breaking) they fixed them for me for FREE.

When I finally had enough money to buy my own Coach, I was so upset that all they had that year were the stupid microfiber logo bags. Microfiber? Come on... Nine West makes those for $50. And I buy them on sale for $20. Coach? NO WAY man.... they should be LEATHER. But they shouldn''t cost $600! They just shouldn''t.

And that''s why I carry hand-made purses from random internet shops. Etsy, anyone?

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2007 5:52:20 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

ETA: omieluv, I have that EXACT same bag except mine is chocolate brown and the logo fabric. I got it for x-mas a few years ago. I love the shape but just a warning, it is a tad uncomfortable (for me). I now realize I like flat straps. I feel like the rounded ones dig into my shoulder. I feel bad though since he paid retail for it.
This bag has actually worked out quite well for me, though I find that the flap can be cumbersome on occasion. Other than the flap, I find that the size and pockets are just what I need. Its handles have not been problematic for me, but time will only tell. The bag is not flashy, but I do like its structure and it is quite comfortable. I am sure your brown bag is quite nice and it is a shame that it has not worked out for you, maybe you will feel differently in a few years. My bf bought me a handbag from Coach for Xmas, which is not quite my style, and he also paid retail. Since he was so excited to give it to me, I did not return it. It is a cute bag, so I do use it from time to time.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2007 1:33:35 AM
Author: omieluv
Date: 9/3/2007 5:52:20 PM

This bag has actually worked out quite well for me, though I find that the flap can be cumbersome on occasion. Other than the flap, I find that the size and pockets are just what I need. Its handles have not been problematic for me, but time will only tell. The bag is not flashy, but I do like its structure and it is quite comfortable. I am sure your brown bag is quite nice and it is a shame that it has not worked out for you, maybe you will feel differently in a few years. My bf bought me a handbag from Coach for Xmas, which is not quite my style, and he also paid retail. Since he was so excited to give it to me, I did not return it. It is a cute bag, so I do use it from time to time.

Maybe I put too much stuff in it and that is what makes it heavy! If I carry it in my hand it is fine. It is uncomfortable on my shoulder. I don''t think time will change that. I only use it for short trips like out to dinner (when I won''t be carrying it for a long period of time).

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/9/2007 3:01:26 PM

Maybe I put too much stuff in it and that is what makes it heavy! If I carry it in my hand it is fine. It is uncomfortable on my shoulder. I don''t think time will change that. I only use it for short trips like out to dinner (when I won''t be carrying it for a long period of time).
That could be. I use this bag as my commuter bag (I walk and take a train) for work and all I keep in it is my travel umbrella, a paperback book, cell phone, keys, wallet, banana, and a few personal accessories. In other words, my bag is not very heavy. I switch off from my shoulder to my hands, so that could be another reason why my shoulder does not hurt.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/11/2007 2:11:40 PM
Author: omieluv
Date: 9/9/2007 3:01:26 PM

That could be. I use this bag as my commuter bag (I walk and take a train) for work and all I keep in it is my travel umbrella, a paperback book, cell phone, keys, wallet, banana, and a few personal accessories. In other words, my bag is not very heavy. I switch off from my shoulder to my hands, so that could be another reason why my shoulder does not hurt.

either way it IS a beautiful bag. I love the shape of it. I totally get the flip being annoying though!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2007 12:39:35 AM

either way it IS a beautiful bag. I love the shape of it. I totally get the flip being annoying though!
Over the years, I have owned several bags having a flap. About 2 weeks after owning one, I swear that I will not buy another with a flap because having to flip open the flap on the run is quite difficult. Why do I keep punishing myself?!

Yes, the bag is beautiful, I just need to keep telling myself that!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last year my vintage Coach leather bag (that I carried every day for years) finally wore out. I hate the fabric Coach bags. Coach should be all leather.

I finally resorted to eBay, and it took some time, but I finally snagged a couple of vintage leather bags that were both brand new. I avoid the dealers, and look for sellers who got the bags many years ago and just threw them into the back of their closets. Finally they clean their closets, and sell the bags on eBay.

My new, but vintage, red leather Coach bag has been back in style for the past couple of years. I recently visited a Coach store, and they were showing new leather bags in exactly the same shade of red.

One warning, however. One Coach bag I bought on-line was an obvious fake. Needless to say, that one went right back to the seller for a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results