shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this OMC worth?

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
I have a family member looking to sell an OMC, and he is wondering what he could get for it.

What do you think he could get for the following stone:

GIA cert
Antique OMC
4.01 carats
J color
VS2 clarity
Fair cut

Tia!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Depends on how it's sold. If you sell it privately, maybe $40-$48K based on prices on simialr stones at Old World Diamonds. Having the GIA cert. really helps! If you sell it to a place like Old World Diamonds, you'll get considerably less, but you won't go through the hassle of trying to sell it on your own and possibly waiting months for a buyer to come along. It's also safer to do business with an established company like OWD versus trying to sell to an individual you know nothing about. I'd love to see a photo of it!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Instead of Old World Diamonds if he wants to do consignment I would contact Jewels by Erica Grace. I think it would sell quickly there though I'm not sure of the price.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does GIA have an "antique OMC" designation? What does the cert say? (I'm just curious.)

Oh, and pics or it doesn't exist! :cheeky:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wasn't suggesting he consign it at OWD, just that I went to their site to look up prices for similar stones. I agree that JBEG is the best place to consign antique stones. I don't believe that OWD does consignment, but buys the stone outright, which is why they generally offer less.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
He could also consign at GOG, but they charge more commission than JBeg, but on the other hand might have an easier time selling a large ticket item like that... I would personally start with JBeg and see what happens, if not in a rush to sell.

Piglet9j7

Shiny_Rock
Okay, thanks for your help. I will tell him all of this, and suggest contacting JBEG.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results