shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the secret?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
How do you go about using fresh Thyme? The first time I chopped it stems and all.... what a mistake that was! lol So this time I tried stripping all the tiny little leaves off and chopping them and that worked, but man it took me forever. MrsTropicmaster is rarely home from work yet when I am fixing dinner, so I cannot pawn it off on her. Somebody give me a slick little trick?

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Thanks!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I strip the leaves when leaving it in the meal, or put in the whole stem of thyme if I''m going to remove it (like roasting poulty). I don''t cut them up at all. Thyme that is the right age will pull off the stem easily when stripping in the opposite direction. Hold it right side up and strip downwards. I usually strip a bunch and store it in herb jars. If your stems are more woody than green, it''s a bit old and you''ll have a bit of difficulty. And, in that case, I wouldn''t put the stem in anything.

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Ahhhh my stems were very woody and it was NOT easy to strip the leaves. I never thought about sticking the whole thing in and removing it later. This was corn chowder I was cooking so that would have worked. Thanks! So when I shop I should look for smaller greener stems? My store does not have it bulk, but does have the little plastic packages.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
My mom grows herbs so I get tons of fresh but when they start to age, we just dry them completely and then strip the leaves and store them. Try to find greener stems for easier stripping, but don''t discount the dried thyme. Use about 1 tsp for every tbsp you would use of fresh. When using dried thyme though, I add parsley or something else with a bright flavor because that''s what I think dried thyme is missing. And, one of my favorite flavor combos is rosemary and thyme.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results