shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the rudest customer encounter, any examples?

fruitloupe

Rough_Rock
When I was in college I waited tables to save some money. One day a lady and her son, who was in grade school, came in and sat at one of my tables. Right away I noticed how short she was with me and how she never looked me in the eyes. While they were dining I made sure to go out of my way for her, I somehow felt that maybe with my service I could change her day. Turns out I wrong, some people are just born evil. Anytime I had chance to speak with her he just kept rolling her eyes. She also had the audacity to tell her son in front of me that if he didn't study hard in school he would end up just like me. Her son made the biggest mess humanly possible, it was so gross I had to mop up his mess afterwards and to top it off she left me no tip. It took all I had inside to not to say anything to her. At the end I really felt bad for the kid, as I knew that she was his example of a parent. To this days I feel for people in the service industry because I know how rude some people can be.

What's your story?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
This isn't a customer encounter but it is still the rudest thing anyone has EVER said to me.

We are military and DH got stated in the midwest- in the center of the bible belt. We are also Jewish. When we first moved there it was around the holiday season. We went to the holiday party where Ham was the main meal so obviously my DH and I didn't eat it. After some inquiring someone at the table asked if we were Jewish and we responded that we were. Then the caos began. For the rest of the night his co-workers introduced us as G-ds chosen people. Not mr and mrs. Sarahbear or by our first names. Then the woman in charge of the spouse club came up and said she didn't feel comfortable with me attending spouse events followed by several other wives who said they hoped I would never have children as they would burn in hell unless they were saved. For a young and brand spanking new military wife I can't even tell you how I felt about this. We left as soon as we could. We were still there for 9 months but I pretty much has no social life.

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated. We now actively avoid that base and will pretty much take any assigement no matter how bad to not be near it....especially since we have children now :bigsmile:

EDit for grammer and spelling

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1362154123|3393633 said:
This isn't a customer encounter but it is still the rudest thing anyone has EVER said to me.

We are military and DH got stated in the midwest- in the center of the bible belt. We are also Jewish. When we first moved there it was around the holiday season. We went to the holiday party where Ham was the main meal so obviously my DH and I didn't eat it. After some inquiring someone at the table asked if we were Jewish and we responded that we were. Then the caos began. For the rest of the night people introduced us as G-ds chosen people. Not mr and mrs. Sarahbear or by our first names. Then the woman in charge of the spouse club came up and said she didn't feel comfortable with me attending spouse events followed by several other wives who said they hoped I would never have children as they would burn in hell unless they were saved. For a young and brand spanking new military wife I can't even tell you how I felt about this.

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated.

You. Are. Effing. Kidding. Me.

I want to hunt these people down. Rage. So much rage.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry you had to experience that. I've learned that people like that are miserable people, and there's nothing to do about them. As you witnessed, it was not personal, and that person was miserable to everyone. There's no point in "getting back" at someone like that at cost to you, because it will be done for you. I'm so happy for you that you kept yourself on the high ground. If you had said something, I would have been fine with that too, but that would have taken a lot of emotional energy and may have had bad consequences for your employment. It's best to waste minimal energy on people who take energy from others.

I had a rude experience as a customer, but it has nothing to with being a customer, but being a human being. I am not Caucasian, and I had someone at a computer store ask me if I was X. I replied yes, and then they made a rude comment about how "my people" had been responsible for a shooting in the US. I was so shocked that I didn't even have a reply and left my computer there to be repaired. If I had had my wits about me, I would have said something back, and left with my computer in hand.

It gave me a new understanding of why many people are not comfortable being asked "what are you" when you first meet them. I am sure many people have negative experiences with this, not just me. I don't ask anymore because It doesn't matter to me, and I would hate for someone to think it did, or for them to feel like I am eyeing them as a "curiosity" and singling them out as not being like everyone else. It's not a welcoming feeling. I don't mean to start a big discussion on this, as I know some people are fine with asking and being asked. That's not my personal choice anymore.

EDIT: I wrote this before I saw Sarahbear's response. It's too bad things like this still happen.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

We are military and DH got stated in the midwest- in the center of the bible belt. We are also Jewish. When we first moved there it was around the holiday season. We went to the holiday party where Ham was the main meal so obviously my DH and I didn't eat it. After some inquiring someone at the table asked if we were Jewish and we responded that we were. Then the caos began. For the rest of the night his co-workers introduced us as G-ds chosen people. Not mr and mrs. Sarahbear or by our first names. Then the woman in charge of the spouse club came up and said she didn't feel comfortable with me attending spouse events followed by several other wives who said they hoped I would never have children as they would burn in hell unless they were saved. For a young and brand spanking new military wife I can't even tell you how I felt about this. We left as soon as we could. We were still there for 9 months but I pretty much has no social life.

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated. We now actively avoid that base and will pretty much take any assigement no matter how bad to not be near it....espeically since we have children now :bigsmile:

People are nuts. Nuts.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
The customer is not always right-they're usually wrong, actually! I think some people feel powerless and they think they can bully people in the service industry to feel better about themselves.

I was a manager at a clothing boutique for several years and since the store was independently owned we had more leeway than most because the owners trusted our judgement. There were several randomly rude things that stood out, though.

We had a lot of premium denim, and once a woman came in to try on all our jeans because we were known for helping people find the perfect pair of jeans. Oh but she said she had a gift card at Nordstrom and was going to spend it there once she figured out which ones to buy. Cool, thanks for trying to waste my time! I let her try on jeans herself. ;))

One man tried to dispute the charge on his Amex because we wouldn't let him return his worn and hemmed jeans. Amex ruled in our favor on that one. We had so many people try to return worn jeans, shoes, etc. If you wear something for a few weeks and change your mind, that's on you. It's RIDICULOUS to expect a store to just take a loss on a pair of $200 jeans. I had no problem telling those customers no. If something could be resold we would take it back even if someone wore it, but otherwise, too bad. One time I lucked out though-a customer returned a pair of jeans they had worn, and when I went to steam them I found a $20 bill in the pocket. :$$):

SB621

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1362155353|3393667 said:
One time I lucked out though-a customer returned a pair of jeans they had worn, and when I went to steam them I found a $20 bill in the pocket. :$$):

I'm a big fan of karma!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Nother super terrible (at least compared to these stories!) - I had a woman call me a slut once. That's about it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can find bigoted people where ever you go.

One time someone walked into my uncle's restaurant, and when the hostess approached to seat them, asked if a Greek owned the restaurant (it is not a Greek food restaurant). the hostess applied in the affirmative, and the person made a point to turn around and walk out.

My husband has a few stories waitering when he worked at a Mexican restaurant. I happened to be in the booth behind this couple when it happened. The platter was served with something that the customer didn't want on it, even though they hadn't specified at the time (sour cream?). Admittedly hubby probably shouldn't have said this, but said something to the effect, sorry didn't hear you, can you eat around it? The man didn't say anything, but after hubby walked away, the man poured half his food onto the table and with his fork proceeded to smear the contents over all the surfaces! He then called hubby over and said, hey " How about you "clean" around this"?
Other than a 3 year old, never seen someone act like that.

Another funny one, was hubby got a group of women. They had him running all over the place, for lemon wedges, extra refills, what have you. I believe he even comped them something for free. Consistent with their behavior they asked for seperate checks and their food to be bagged up. So he actually put their food into individual containers and seperate paper bags for them. They left and were standing outside the restaurant, laughing, apparently at the humorous joke, that hubby realized that they left no tip. Nothing. Normally my husband is pretty even keel, but this made his blood boil.
At some point while having a good laugh, they realized they all forgot their doggie bags. So, while they were trying to decide who was going to go in to retrieve all their doggie bags, he got the trash can and swept them all into the trash. And so when one came up to him timidly asking where are our doggie bags? he said sweetly, "oh sorry, those got thrown out."

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pregcurious|1362154747|3393650 said:

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated. We now actively avoid that base and will pretty much take any assigement no matter how bad to not be near it....espeically since we have children now :bigsmile:

People are nuts. Nuts.

Worse yet, people are rude, overbearing, bigoted jackasses. Sarah, I certainly understand wanting to avoid them at any cost! I have to ask, too ... is that sort of thing even legal in the armed forces? It feels like it verges on hate speech, not to mention outright discrimination (the not being "allowed" at events, I mean). In a university setting, that would be an epic lawsuit. I understand not wanting to rock the boat if your husband is career military, but I just HATE THOSE PEOPLE and want them to be suitably chastised.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1362162497|3393793 said:
pregcurious|1362154747|3393650 said:

People are nuts. Nuts.

Worse yet, people are rude, overbearing, bigoted jackasses. Sarah, I certainly understand wanting to avoid them at any cost! I have to ask, too ... is that sort of thing even legal in the armed forces? It feels like it verges on hate speech, not to mention outright discrimination (the not being "allowed" at events, I mean). In a university setting, that would be an epic lawsuit. I understand not wanting to rock the boat if your husband is career military, but I just HATE THOSE PEOPLE and want them to be suitably chastised.

Well technically it wasn't the military as the wives were 95% of it, but no discrimination is not allowed. However, at this particular base you can stay for a long time- almost your whole career. Most of the wives at the event were from that state. I think if we had been anywhere else it never would have happened but because that type of reaction is normal there it was accepted. I think it we HAD pushed we could have done something legally, but where would that have got us? I think at the time we just really wanted to sweep it under the rug. DH said no one ever said anything about it to him at work. A few did apologize for their spouse's actions. we were only there for a few months of training before we went to our actual station so we put up with it. However, all this happened when we were newly married and just go into the military. If it happend now I'm way more secure with myself that my $hit would have hit the fan about this, especially since I do have kids now. I wouldn't have taken it today, like I did then.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
The very rudest? Waiting tables, of course, I had a group of older men who got quite tipsy...and what they said isn't fit for print :shock:

I was the last employee there that night and I complained to the manager who didn't want to get off his lazy butt and deal with them either and told me to suck it up. I walked out right then and there.

Got a call from the owner the next day apologizing and asking me to please not quit :rolleyes:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated. We now actively avoid that base and will pretty much take any assigement no matter how bad to not be near it....especially since we have children now :bigsmile:

You shouldn't avoid that base. You have children now and they need "saving." Maybe those bitches could save your poor children's souls. :roll: :angryfire:

(yes, this was sarcastic if anyone is wondering).

rubyshoes

Brilliant_Rock
Sarahbear, I am ENRAGED on your behalf. What despicable people! :angryfire:

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

I too have gotten the "you and your future children will burn in hell b/c you are not saved" comment before, for being Catholic. I didn't say anything at the time b/c I too was younger and to shocked to say anything. Plus it was from someone in DH's family, my MIL's favorite cousin. For a while it really bothered me, but I have moved on and learned alot from the experience. Plus, karma has been a beautiful thing in regard to this person.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear that was heartbreaking to read. I can't imagine how it must have felt to experience. You handled the situation with more class than they deserved.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Matata said:
Sarahbear that was heartbreaking to read. I can't imagine how it must have felt to experience. You handled the situation with more class than they deserved.
I agree. I'm stunned by their horrible words and behavior!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1362168769|3393915 said:
Matata said:
I agree. I'm stunned by their horrible words and behavior!

Thank you ladies, but truly it has nothing to do with class- i was stunned and my reaction was to completely shut down. I grew up in a major city on the east coast. My best friends were the 4 girls who lived on my block; a Japanese Buddist, a Russian Roman Catholic, an African American baptist and than another girl whose family was atheists. Religion was not a defining factor to us. We would go over each others houses for holidays and celebrate, eat food and have laughs. All of our families got along and we would have block parties when the weather was nice.

I honestly usually don't tell that story because I think it paints the military and military spouses in a bad light. Truly that one night has been the exception to some of the best years of my life.

OK sorry for the thread jack! I didn't mean too!

Boatluvr

Shiny_Rock
I've had my share but I can't beat my brother in law's story. He has spent many years in the pool business, mostly the construction side. It was a very hot, sunny and humid day on the east coast. He and his crew were plastering a huge pool - dirty, dusty, nasty work. He went to use the hose on the side of the house to get some fresh/cold water for the cooler for his crew and he was told 'NO'. He was flabbergasted. His crew was so hot, tired and sooty - he sent one of the guys out for a case of cold water. Revenge was his. When it came to finishing the pool (smoothing the plaster), they had more than a few bubbles. Ever been in a pool with a rough bottom that tears up your feet? Yep, that's what happened. Karma.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I live in a town near a town that has the most churches in the US. It has a Christian College and many Fundamentalists. I just want you to know, it wasn't because of your religion that they were so rude, it was because you were and are a non believer in JC. Around here we all get that treatment if we express any free thinking. I had to stop home schooling two fundamenlist girls because they kept telling me I was going to hell because I didn't believe. These girls were so bright, I almost cried when I realized I couldn/t teach them anything, for no matter how I interpreted books, they reinterpreted things their way. Around here I very rarely make known my true sentiments. I was raised Protestant and don't make waves. I assure you I wouldn't be invited to many things if they knew my true beliefs. So, its not discrimination. They do it to everyone, because what they believe is more important than any one else.

Thus we have anti-abortion movement , wives stay home., children get home schooled, and the rest of us are going definitely going to hell.

It is rude, but you do just turn it off.

Sorry it happened though.

Annette

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
princesss|1362154248|3393641 said:

We are military and DH got stated in the midwest- in the center of the bible belt. We are also Jewish. When we first moved there it was around the holiday season. We went to the holiday party where Ham was the main meal so obviously my DH and I didn't eat it. After some inquiring someone at the table asked if we were Jewish and we responded that we were. Then the caos began. For the rest of the night people introduced us as G-ds chosen people. Not mr and mrs. Sarahbear or by our first names. Then the woman in charge of the spouse club came up and said she didn't feel comfortable with me attending spouse events followed by several other wives who said they hoped I would never have children as they would burn in hell unless they were saved. For a young and brand spanking new military wife I can't even tell you how I felt about this.

Granted since then we have pretty much loved everywhere else we have been stationed and the people whom we have met. But I will never forget that night or how we were treated.

Sadly Sarah, you aren't the only one who's had that experience. I went to a private all girls school deep in the Southeast and was told by my 7th grade history teacher that while we were "the Chosen People", I would burn in h*ll unless I accepted Christ as my Savior. I didn't even tell my parents I was so humiliated and ashamed. I think it's a pretty common experiences for Jewish people living in the South. :-o

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nothing as bad as what Sarahbear experienced, but I've had a few ridiculous situations.

I was a barista in high school and in my first year of college.

One time, I was working by myself, and I was on my knees on the floor scrubbing the cabinet doors when a man came up to the counter. I told him I'd be right with him and got up to wash my hands, and he immediately said "oh don't rush, it's okay. The best place to see a woman is on her knees!"

!!!!

I was so stunned I just made him his drink and sent him on his way as soon as possible.

Another time, I was working and an older gentleman walked up to the counter and told me he wanted a doppio espresso. I got to work and then he said he wanted it in a demitasse. Unfortunately, he was mumbling, so I couldn't make out what he had said. I asked him to repeat himself.

"Put it in a dmmdmremmfmdmdkd," he said. Mumble mumble.

I asked himself to repeat himself one more time.

He looked enraged.

"I SAID PUT IT IN A DEMITASSE!" he shouted at me very loudly. Everyone in the cafe was looking at me. "DON'T YOU SPEAK ENGLISH, GIRL?!"

How rude.

I probably shouldn't have said anything, but I replied that I did in fact speak English, and then I poured his shots in a demitasse, and then as I handed him his drink, I pointed out that the word "demitasse" is actually French in origin.

:Up_to_something:

BennYoga

Rough_Rock
The rudest? When I worked at a resturant as a server... A guy snapped his fingers at me juts to call my attention. Not cool bro.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1362175386|3394059 said:

Sadly Sarah, you aren't the only one who's had that experience. I went to a private all girls school deep in the Southeast and was told by my 7th grade history teacher that while we were "the Chosen People", I would burn in h*ll unless I accepted Christ as my Savior. I didn't even tell my parents I was so humiliated and ashamed. I think it's a pretty common experiences for Jewish people living in the South. :-o

The crazy thing is I was bombarded with the "saved" speech during a new admissions mixer at a school I was considering. I'm Christian. Apparently not the right kind though. I still don't entirely understand what happened.

"You need to accept Christ"

"Huh, I do"

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've always been fairly introverted so I have never worked in customer service.

I do cringe when I hear customers talk to the waiter at my local Mexican restaurant about how dangerous Mexico is (no idea what the facts really are on that) and how he must be thrilled to be safe in Canada. Its rude, plus he's not Mexican. He's Indian. He happens to work at a Mexican restaurant. Just like the other guy on staff is white, but happens to work in a Mexican restaurant.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1362175386|3394059 said:

I was raised Catholic and was told several times by Baptists that I was a heathen. :rolleyes:

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
I think everyone should have the experience of working as a server.....will change the way you view dining out forever.
I am always astounded at how awful people can be to one another.

Sarahbear: your story is awful. I am shocked by this. I grew up in the military and never would have thought that the treatment that you and your husband received would have been possible. I can't imagine the isolation you felt out there.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
My story is mild in comparison to the other stories already mentioned. I went to a Charles Koll jewelry store and the salesperson asked what my price range was. I gave her a range and then continued to look at settings. Eventually, I came across one and the salesperson told me, You can't afford that, you shouldn't even be looking at it!" I subsequently walked out. Just because I have a price range doesn't mean I CAN"T afford it.

Here's a rude exchange with the general public. I went to the movies and the couple in back of me kept on talking like it was their living room. I turned around and nicely asked if they could be quiet so I could enjoy the movie. They decided that was unacceptable so they started talking louder and blew their nose in a tissue and threw it at my head.

4ever

Ideal_Rock
When working in a jewellery store I served one woman who really just made my blood boil every time she came into the store. Basically she had a credit for an insurance claim and kept chaining her mind about how she'd like to spend it because she really enjoyed having people suck up to her and run around after her.
First she wanted to replace the item shed lost exactly. Fine. We spent a massive amount of time chasing up stones and doing sketching figuring out what this thing looked like. Then she wanted to split the money up into gift vouchers. Fine, so we organised that. Next she walked into the shop and demanded my attention over another couple i was serving and wanted us to heavily discount a designer watch we were selling on behalf because she didn't want to spend more than her credit. I said no, and explained that I had discussed a similar offer with the owner earlier and she was not interested in letting it go for less. She threw a hissy fit in the store and left. Later I had watches bought in for her to view, we allowed her to take one home to try buy she bought it back dirty and worn a few days later because it was too heavy. Eventually we got in some pearls, then sourced extra and lengthened that strand for her and she took them. The whole time so was so increadably rude and pushy and in the end she said to me, " you know I was going to complain to (the owner) about you, but it's nice to see you've sorted your attitude out and you've been much better lately."
I was so furious when she left I had to leave the store to calm down. Some people!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
After this, we need a thread expressing the GOOD things we encounter, because right now, I'm very, very sad for our world.

I'm Asian and went to high school in a predominantly white, Rocky Mountain state. I get a lot of "you speak English so well!" comments, which I find hilarious. I learned long ago to just laugh inside when people say that.

For reference, and this is not to be braggy but rather set the context for my rude incident, I've always been strong in English (in fact, it's my native language), got an 800 on the SAT Verbal and Writing and 5s on my AP English tests, majored in English, went to law school, and oh, I'm an English teacher now. Completely contrary to the Asian stereotype, I don't enjoy or do math well :razz:

Now, knowing all of that, my story is that once upon a time, during college, I worked as a cashier at Staples over the summer (this is in my predominantly white hometown). A little old lady comes up, I'm ringing her up, we're having a nice little exchange of pleasantries. A few minutes pass as I finish her transaction. Right as we're done, I say something like "Thanks, have a great day" and she says, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you because your people don't speak our language." WTF??? Being all of 19 years old, I had no idea how to respond to that. Especially as we had JUST finished a conversation. To this day, I'm still not sure what the heck happened! I told my manager after she left, and he was flabbergasted. Just shocked that someone would say that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results