shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most selfish thing you do just for yourself?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Def my own jewelry collection, it really doesn't benefit anyone but me so that would be it!

And a gorgeous collection it is. :love:
I would argue it does benefit others who get to gaze upon its beauty and enjoy it that way. I love looking at beautiful pieces and consider it to be art. JMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gotta be the fishing; dad and I sat down a few years ago and did some rough sums and we discovered that we've spent over half a million dollars on our hobby. I guess it's not entirely selfish since I feed my family and contribute to scientific research, but no doubt I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Good for you and good for others too. Perfect combo.

Serial number tagging for the most part to track growth rates and migratory routes of marine apex predators, but we've also done PSAT tags, recovered DNA samples and provided dead fish for biomass genetic mapping and other studies.

:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely jewelry, but that’s a given here on PS. Everything else I do for others I think. I realize that I need to change this.

Yes you do sweet Slick. You've been through so much and you deserve to do for you and just you and more than just PS and jewelry. IMO. When our life settles down a bit and the cats are well you and your dh will have to come over to our beach house and Greg and I will pamper you and cook and bake for you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I go to the gym everyday to de-stress, sometimes it means getting home at 7:30 pm, and my husband has to cook dinner, or I go hike on the weekends and leave the family to fend for themselves for breakfast and lunch.

Good for you @jaysonsmom. I am a firm believer if we take care of our bodies we are also taking care of our minds. I go crazy if I don't get to do my daily workout. It brings me peace and energy and strength and mindfulness. Not giving that up unless I physically cannot do it anymore.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a very busy person & can get exasperated at times at how little i actually do for myself. I like to run 3 or 4 times a week, but I don't feel that running in the Gym is as therapeutic as throught the Woodlands & tracks where I live. When I run outdoors (poorly feet permitting the concrete lanes that connect the fields & tracks) I feel absolutely glorious. It makes me feel alive & appreciative of my health & environment.

The other thing i do without fail on a week day, is when i have collected the girls from school, unpacked their bags, re-packed them, sorted homework & made packed lunches, i make a really indulgent coffee with hot milk, then i sit alone in the dining room & browse my tablet. The girls know not to disturb me during my 'Mummy Coffee Break' & I am really thankful, just for those few minutes to quiet my brain.

I agree, running outdoors is so much more therapeutic from my experience too. Something about being in nature and breathing the fresh air and feeling the ground underneath us is magical and makes one appreciative of all the beauty we are surrounded by.

And I agree you have to make the time to do more for yourself @Alex T. It will benefit your whole family and not just you so look at it that way. You deserve it. XO.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I love this thread! It is REALLY important to do things for our own selves or otherwise neither our bodies nor our minds can destress and next thing we know is that we get sick, etc. People and society tend to make us feel guilty for doing things for ourselves.

I am a very self less person in general, I love doing things for others but I guess that is selfish too because it gives me joy. But I can make “huge” sacrifices too for those I love.

If someone I really love, a bestie or my mom loves a piece of jewelry, I will just take it off and give it to them. But I have my limits too.

Of course I have endless excuses for continually designing and making jewelry which is that I need it for stock. Sure. To wear it. I have a couple of more valuable pieces with irreplacable stones I would never give anyone.

Besides that skincare and makeup. I am crazy about those. I cannot stop. I also cannot stand others touch my cosmetics (and my own jewelry!) or disrupt my routine of bath, creams, makeup. The only person allowed to touch my cosmetics is my mom. But even she is not allowed to touch my jewelry unless I am there and watching. Ok I admit I am a bit crazy but I have firm limits when it comes to the few things I consider a part of me and me only.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this thread! It is REALLY important to do things for our own selves or otherwise neither our bodies nor our minds can destress and next thing we know is that we get sick, etc. People and society tend to make us feel guilty for doing things for ourselves.

I am a very self less person in general, I love doing things for others but I guess that is selfish too because it gives me joy. But I can make “huge” sacrifices too for those I love.

If someone I really love, a bestie or my mom loves a piece of jewelry, I will just take it off and give it to them. But I have my limits too.

Of course I have endless excuses for continually designing and making jewelry which is that I need it for stock. Sure. To wear it. I have a couple of more valuable pieces with irreplacable stones I would never give anyone.

Besides that skincare and makeup. I am crazy about those. I cannot stop. I also cannot stand others touch my cosmetics (and my own jewelry!) or disrupt my routine of bath, creams, makeup. The only person allowed to touch my cosmetics is my mom. But even she is not allowed to touch my jewelry unless I am there and watching. Ok I admit I am a bit crazy but I have firm limits when it comes to the few things I consider a part of me and me only.

I agree with you completely @Sunstorm and like you I do not like it when others disrupt my routine. To the point of me being a bit extreme in fact. I like my routine and it brings me comfort and peace and if disrupted it causes me anxiety. Working out is a part of me and when I couldn't do it for all those months (when I had my accident and broke my tibia and fibula) it was very challenging. It was a huge relief getting back to working out and it helps melt my stress away. I protect that routine fiercely and I (try not to) make no apologies for it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my non negotiable
but he's like air
i could not exist with out him
Gary pretty much despises him but i don't care (well no actually that's not true )

Attachments

• bruce-springsteen-western-stars.jpg
    bruce-springsteen-western-stars.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 152

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my non negotiable
but he's like air
i could not exist with out him
Gary pretty much despises him but i don't care (well no actually that's not true )

That seals it. I have to check his concert schedule (I didn't even know he still was doing concerts) and if he comes to the area we are going to have to get you here @Daisys and Diamonds !!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
That seals it. I have to check his concert schedule (I didn't even know he still was doing concerts) and if he comes to the area we are going to have to get you here @Daisys and Diamonds !!!
Gary wouldn't even come to Auckland ans shear my hotel room

so that would be wounderful
right now his latest album he's not touring behind but he has released a concert album of him snd an orchestra performing Western stars (the new album) at home in his barn
it has limited release, the UK seems to have better distribution than NJ but its playing in selected theatres now
i have to wait till the 4th dec and hope and pray it comes to Wanganui and till be on dvd by then but to experience it on the big screen as Bruce intended...

anyway anyway he's writting a new E Street band album already and he's talking a tour
i just desperately have to get a job so i can start my Bruce fund again
Air NZ is starting direct flights to NYC
what might happen is he'll due a US leg, then go to Europe then back to the US then hooefully down under
so in theory there is time for me to dull my piggy bank
seeing Bruce in NJ / NYC anoungst his people would be a dream of all dreams

so it's a date :appl:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the baker in the family. My son, husband, siblings, grandmother, autiees, uncles, friends, etc. absolutely luv my baking, shucks, even strangers. I just make Pies, pound cakes, cookies, etc. Nothing fancy.

Of course the fall is apple orchard season and every year I bake deserts apple pies and crisps and give them the family and friends.

This year I was selfish.

Went to the apple orchard end of september/ beginning october. bought 5 bushels of McIntosh apples. Perfectly made an apple crisp every 2-3 days until all of the Apple were gone. I ate everyone of those crisps myself:evil2:

For about 4 weeks i was in apple crisp heaven!!! i didn't tell my son , my sis...nobody. Hubby is not into sweets so my executed plan was PERFECT! I made them. They were absolute deliciousness. I refused to share. . . Man!!! It felt good!!!

This is my favorite by far. Mmm...apple crisp. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned long ago that I could drain out the tub a bit and add more hot water. I’d live in there indefinitely if I could. :lol: Living that mermaid life.

Hahaha I do that too! But I find the tub stays very warm for at least an hour. I make it very very warm initially so much so that it is hard to get in at first lol. But I am detoxing while I bathe so have an ulterior motive.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play video games. I do it as a mindless zen activity that reduces my stress, but DH doesn't understand it that way. It can be 1-2 hours a day. Usually before bed.

Me too!!!! I play Fortnite better than half my son's friends.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apart from jewellery, probably my selfish thing is skincare & pampering. I really enjoy the ritual of bathing and putting on masks or all the lotions & potions on my face, makes me feel relaxed and very serene. :angel: I put on gentle classic music, maybe have a cup of tea too. Just wind down after work...

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Manicures, every 2-3 weeks.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a very interesting and enlightening thread!

I have to admit I don't consider exercise or personal care (mani/pedi/hair) to be selfish acts; by the same token, I don't think when my DH is exercising that he is being selfish.

I spend a lot of time reading books for my own enjoyment; that past-time I could say is selfish but it is also my salvation and gives me balance.

My gemstone & jewelry collection is definitely something I do just for myself - but really I think hobbies and interests are necessary to the soul and the brain.

(my two cents)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely my gems! And one day a week I don't cook or take care of the boys. I just peace out.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless I have another person in my life, then nearly everything I do is for myself or the pets, and the pets cost way less than a child!

DK :lol-2:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dye my hair vivid purple. I love it. DH and DD think I’m crazy, I’m retired now so I don’t have to be worry about what clients might think, the dogs love me no matter my hair colour!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Buying jewellery and taking long hot baths. Also the occasional cup of coffee from a local joint as they roast it there. It’s strong, dark and fabulous.

My latest treat is having a personal trainer to help me get comfortable and safely learn routines at the gym to help with my new osteoporosis diagnosis. She’s bloody expensive (for my income), but has been wonderful I must say.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make mince meat pie at Christmas altho I am the only one who really likes it! with vanilla ice cream..

I adore mince meat!! yummmy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results