shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the ideal part-time working schedule?

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
I need a little advice about what part-time schedule is ideal or works best for parents of young children.

A little background. I'm an associate at a large law firm, and I have a six month old baby at home and hope to have more in the near future. Since returning to work four months ago, I'm lacking the time and motivation to bill the number of hours I need to be billing to be a full time associate. I'm just not willing to sacrifice my weekends or nights anymore. Mornings and nights are the only time I get to see my baby, and I'm not willing to give that up. So I had a discussion with my group leader today about where I stand, and I brought up the idea of switching to a part-time schedule. He seemed surprisingly receptive to the idea and asked me to present him with a proposal. I also found out I can stay on the group insurance plan if I pay a larger percentage of the premium, which is great because that was one of my worries about going part-time.

From what I gather, I will need to be in the office at least 24 hours a week. So my options would basically be to work fewer hours each day or to come in three days a week. The realities of associate life mean that there will be times I have to modify my schedule when the work requires, but I'm okay with that, and I'm pretty good about setting limits, and I'm able to work from home when necessary.

So, my question for all of you is what is your part-time schedule? Would you prefer to work half days or three days a week? I would appreciate any advice or thoughts anyone has on this issue. Thanks!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I don't work a part time schedule, but given those options I would choose to work fewer hours each day. I think it would be easier to stick to a routine that way, since every day could be the same schedule.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks amc, I agree that routine is important. For that reason, if I were to switch to three days a week, I think I would choose to work Tuesday through Thursday (if allowed). That way, Monday and Friday would just be an extension of the weekends and hopefully not throw things off too much. I think if I had school-aged children, I would definitely want to work in the mornings, so I could be home to pick them up each afternoon. But since he is a baby, I'm thinking I might feel like I'm getting more quality time with him if I had full days off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if this is practical at your firm but working fewer hours per day 5 days a week might be a better way for you to spend time with your children. You could work while they are in school and be home for them when they get home. I work a part time schedule that is optimal for me and my lifestyle but we don't have children. I work 3 longer days and have 4 day weekends. That is my preference but if I had kids and I wanted to be home when they were home I would just work shorter hours more days per week.

I'm glad they are being flexible for you and open to this adjusted working schedule. Best of luck!

ETA: just read your last post. I wonder if you could start with Tues-Thurs and then when your baby (and future children) are older and school age switch to shorter days 5 days a week.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I think what amc is saying generally makes sense, but I'd worry as an associate that your five-hour day would often end up getting stretched to six, seven, eight hours just because you are there, in the office, and that's what happens. I think setting limits is easier said than done sometimes, particularly when there's a last-minute deadline or crisis or whatever. In your position, I'd probably choose to take one day off entirely, work three full days in the office, and have some flexibility on the other day. From my (admittedly somewhat limited and secondhand) knowledge of firms, this just strikes me as more realistic for actually working part-time, as opposed to getting suckered into full-time work at part-time pay/benefits. But you know your firm's specific workings, so take that with a grain of salt...

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Octavia|1368137342|3443600 said:
I think what amc is saying generally makes sense, but I'd worry as an associate that your five-hour day would often end up getting stretched to six, seven, eight hours just because you are there, in the office, and that's what happens. I think setting limits is easier said than done sometimes, particularly when there's a last-minute deadline or crisis or whatever. In your position, I'd probably choose to take one day off entirely, work three full days in the office, and have some flexibility on the other day. From my (admittedly somewhat limited and secondhand) knowledge of firms, this just strikes me as more realistic for actually working part-time, as opposed to getting suckered into full-time work at part-time pay/benefits. But you know your firm's specific workings, so take that with a grain of salt...

This was exactly my thinking. I would choose 3 full days, I think you'll end up with more quality time with LO. You would have 2 extra days that you're not getting ready for work, not getting Ev ready for daycare, and not accidentally taking work home with you or accidentally staying late.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I am thinking about this right now too as I am hoping to make some changes in the next year to get a better work-life balance (though my options are more about working from home, not going part-time).

There are pros and cons to each.
If I could work 5 hours per day 5 days per week that would be ideal. My son is in full day preK and I would love to be able to pick him up each day, but the stress of trying to get out of the office on-time when business hours continue after I leave would be challenging. (I am client facing as well as a senior organizational staff member, so there are many demands on my time and clients and colleagues do not respect out of office time as it is, let alone if I was leaving early.

Working 3 full days would reduce the challenges of getting out of the office on time as well as be more clear for colleagues and clients when you are in the office, but it would change some of the routines with your LO.

Best wishes as you try and find the balance that works best for your family!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it were me starting over w small kids again, I'd prefer to do 3 'normal' days then have the 4 days off. Off is off, where as like Octavia said, if you are there ... my guess is 'creep' could happen.

"Hey MonkeyPrincess, we have this XXX due for 5pm, think you could just stay an hour or so later and finish it off???" or "Um, we need you to stay till 8 pm and meet w the client - its the only time they can come in for an appointment..." That can - and does - happen in all areas of employment!! As we all know... $h*t happens... so if it were me, I'd prefer to get in and get out, over 3 days only and have 4 non-work days where they can't ask you to stay "just a little longer".

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
I just began working full time for a small firm, two days a week from home and three days a week from the office. We don't have billable hours o meet, so the pressure is less, but there is loads of work so constant pressure to keep up and keep moving. My commute blows, which is why I insisted on working from home two days. Honestly I think three full days of work is better than five shorter days. No question. The constant daycare prep is a pain, so only having to do it three days is better.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had a couple part time schedules since our first was born. The first was 10-2 M/T/Fri, 8-close (usually 6) Wed, off Thurs. The second was M/W all day,( usually 8-6) and Tues was about 4-5 hours. Then I had another of 8-5 T/Th and 8-6 Wed. The schedules where I worked longer hours/less days worked out better. Having actual days *off* is much easier than having half days. The job where I worked 10-2 three days a week, I found myself there a little earlier and a little earlier, staying a little later, and a little bit later, to get things done. A phone call would come right when I was getting ready to walk out the door, or a patient would come in, you know how it goes.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in a totally different line of work, but for me, 3 days a week is perfect. You get more days at home with baby than days at work, but you get enough time at work to get something done. My preference is to work 2 days consecutively, with a day off between that and the other day.

I'm now working 3.5 days a week and I REALLY notice the difference, going in to work 4 days a week instead of 3.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm in a similar boat--I'm not in the legal field, but I work for an ad agency where I have to meet billable requirements each week. I had the option of keeping my benefits and working 24 or 32 hours per week when returning from maternity leave. I chose to work 24 hours for 2 months (now work 32) and decided that 3 days/week was the best fit for me. Here were my reasons:

1. I chose to take off Tuesdays and Fridays--this meant I never had to work more than 2 days in a row. Mentally, that makes such a difference. It also meant I got a long weekend every weekend, giving me more time to decompress.

2. It worked out better with daycare for us to do 3 full days/week rather than 4 or 5 shorter days per week.

3. I find that getting in the office late/leaving early is difficult. It feels like I'm working a super compressed day instead of fewer hours. If I'm just off that day, then I can not check VM or email without feeling any guilt. People know I'm not there that day and don't expect me to respond.

For me, 3 days per week was perfect. The only drawbacks are obviously the pay cut (especially when the amount you put toward insurance and your 401K are still based on 100% pay) and I also only earned my vacation time at 60%, so instead of 5 weeks per year, I only got 3 weeks per year. If I weren't planning to get pregnant this summer, I would probably go back to 3 days/week. Which is my plan after baby #2.

If K is in preschool by the time we have baby #2 (not likely), then I would take Fridays off, but come in late the other days of the week. The reason is preschool (morning dropoff is 8:30 and due to our train schedule, I won't get into the office until 10). If she's not in preschool, however, I'll just do 3 days/week.

Sorry for the novel, but I spent a ton of time going through the pros and cons of different 24-hour/week schedules (and still am for #2), so it's all swimming in my head.

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It gives me a lot to think about, and you all thought of things I hadn't even considered. I do think you are right that the only way for me to truly limit myself to part-time is to be out of the office for two solid days, due to the whole out of sight out of mind thing and vice versa. I'll have to think about which days I want to be in the office. I was thinking it would be nice to work three days in a row, so I can feel like it's an actual (albeit abbreviated) work week, and I can make sure I have a little continuity with my work assignments. I was thinking about working Tues-Thur, but the problem with that is that we tend to have a lot of meetings on Mondays. Maybe I could do Monday-Wednesday. But then I'd be out of the office two days in a row on Thursday and Friday. I'll have to do some thinking about that.

The other wrench in this whole thing is that I'm in the process of interviewing for another job. Their hiring process is super slow, but I've had two interviews, and I feel like there is a strong possiblity I'll get an offer. But if I could manage to get a workable part-time schedule here, I might be better off staying here for the time being, even though I don't see this position as a long term career. Argh. This whole work-life balance thing is so elusive!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monkeyprincess|1368198216|3444109 said:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts! It gives me a lot to think about, and you all thought of things I hadn't even considered. I do think you are right that the only way for me to truly limit myself to part-time is to be out of the office for two solid days, due to the whole out of sight out of mind thing and vice versa. I'll have to think about which days I want to be in the office. I was thinking it would be nice to work three days in a row, so I can feel like it's an actual (albeit abbreviated) work week, and I can make sure I have a little continuity with my work assignments. I was thinking about working Tues-Thur, but the problem with that is that we tend to have a lot of meetings on Mondays. Maybe I could do Monday-Wednesday. But then I'd be out of the office two days in a row on Thursday and Friday. I'll have to do some thinking about that.

The other wrench in this whole thing is that I'm in the process of interviewing for another job. Their hiring process is super slow, but I've had two interviews, and I feel like there is a strong possiblity I'll get an offer. But if I could manage to get a workable part-time schedule here, I might be better off staying here for the time being, even though I don't see this position as a long term career. Argh. This whole work-life balance thing is so elusive!

I think it is harder when you are an associate (or even partner) in a law firm. You don't really have "set" hours the way other professions do. I know my dh is on call all the time and there are no hours he must be in the office per se but there really is no time he doesn't have to check in. Even when we are on vacation. If they need him they need him. In my field when I'm off I'm off. I am at work only when I am physically at work and though it might extend if there is an emergency patient for me to see I can easily compartmentalize work from other areas of my life so I definitely feel I have balance.

Good luck with your job interviews and I hope it works out exactly how you want it to!!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
MP, that does throw a monkey wrench into things, but for me, it's the bigger consideration. What is your gut telling you? If you get an offer, would you feel comfortable telling the new employer that your old employer has offered part-time and you need to consider. That one's tough because it would be nice if they could work with you, but I'm sure you're also thinking that you don't want your first question to be if you can work fewer hours :)

I accepted that fewer hours at current agency = stagnant career for now. It's hard knowing that I've put the brakes on my career for the time being, but the work/life balance thing is too hard for me and I just have to accept it for now.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Right now, I am working 1pm-7pm 3 days a week in the office, with the occasional weekend shift at the hospital since Im still perdiem staff there. Its great having the short days because I get to see L all morning, and then Im home to put him to bed too. I dont think I could go all day not seeing him!
Good luck with your new schedule MP! I know you're going to love it, and Im very happy for you and Ev!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results