shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the definition of a "flipper"?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1322407412|3069484 said:
why the sudden moralizing about, "flippers"? Why does selling for a quick profit on Pricescope hit a nerve?
Personally I find nothing immoral about flipping. What's at issue, as far as I see it, is whether it's allowed to participate in the forum as an objective consumer when you're behaving like a *vendor*. On this forum the rules are different for consumers and vendors. For good reason IMHO. And to straddle the line and benefit from the best of both worlds doesn't seem fair to me. Or wise.

I'm sure the powers that be will hash out what they're comfortable with and let us all know so we can comply in good faith. In the meantime, what's the harm in respectfully discussing the matter?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Snicklefritz|1322434650|3069641 said:
liarudd|1322095045|3067986 said:
a flipper is a fake pair of teeth cute little girls in tiaras wear to beauty pagents lol

Ha! Exactly what I was thinking! I'm sure this definition would be thread-worthy too. It's an unusual addition to the dress code for tots. :loopy:

what? Never heard this term before.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I was being sarcastic (in the case of the Pser) when I said they felt they deserved to make a profit. I just meant that flipper felt they "deserved" a monetary reward for their time. I find it taking advantage of others. Kinda like when you see the hot toy sold out but find it a plenty on ebay. Taking advantage of others is not something I would ever do. No matter how much money I could make. I'm not jealous or a busy body and have no horse in this race. I just don't like "me" mentality I see too often in society.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
makemepretty|1322478574|3069944 said:
I was being sarcastic (in the case of the Pser) when I said they felt they deserved to make a profit. I just meant that flipper felt they "deserved" a monetary reward for their time. I find it taking advantage of others. Kinda like when you see the hot toy sold out but find it a plenty on ebay. Taking advantage of others is not something I would ever do. No matter how much money I could make. I'm not jealous or a busy body and have no horse in this race. I just don't like "me" mentality I see too often in society.

Well said, MMP. The dustup over the Missoni merchandise at Target this fall (later found on ebay with asking prices many times over retail) comes to mind. I hope those ebayers who tried to make a big profit flipping Missoni for Target ended up taking a bath on it instead. Bah-humbug.

With regard to flipping on PS: it's obviously the mods' call, but my 2 cents is that the forum was established a courtesy to those of us who want to sell our "pre-loved" and "pre-owned" merchandise. Flipping jewelry that you find on ebay or at estate sales specifically to turn a profit doesn't seem to fit the spirit of that forum. But I know that it happens all the time on DB, and sometimes sellers are called out on it, too. But I also agree that it's up to the buyer if they want to pay the "value added" price the seller is asking. I do think that a person making a practice of this should be held to vendor rules; they are no longer a consumer advocate imho.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1322442400|3069723 said:
AGBF|1322407412|3069484 said:
why the sudden moralizing about, "flippers"? Why does selling for a quick profit on Pricescope hit a nerve?

Personally I find nothing immoral about flipping. What's at issue, as far as I see it, is whether it's allowed to participate in the forum as an objective consumer when you're behaving like a *vendor*. On this forum the rules are different for consumers and vendors. For good reason IMHO. And to straddle the line and benefit from the best of both worlds doesn't seem fair to me. Or wise.

I'm sure the powers that be will hash out what they're comfortable with and let us all know so we can comply in good faith. In the meantime, what's the harm in respectfully discussing the matter?

I found what you wrote sensible, as I often do, deco. I hadn't known what caused the ruckus over the existence of "flippers". Essentially it's an issue over when a consumer becomes a vendor. I remember seeing a thread about that subject, but did not follow it closely and no idea that it was behind the sudden appearance of a thread on, "flippers"!

In my opinion, the best way for a consumer to appear to be a consumer is to behave like one: not to sell too many items. I know that I could clean out my jewelry box and try to sell off half of what I own, but that would be way over the top. (Again...in my opinion...)if a Pricescoper wants to keep a serious reputation as a consumer, s/he will only sell a limited number of pieces unless s/he has a compelling reason to sell off her jewelry.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results