shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the Deal with Cubic Zirconia?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A few years back now a lady i sat beside at a night school sewing class gave me some CZ esrings she had been gifted that she never wore
i now wish i knew where they are.
I think they might have gone to good will when we were unpacking when we moved

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock
Here’s my latest purchase from Berricle. Their CZ is pretty good, this is the first larger piece that I’ve gotten. These are to keep me from getting more expensive versions! I think they’re really nice, the setting are sturdy. I got a piece of the “kaleidoscope“ line which is supposed to mimic alexandrite. It’s a good dupe.

Here are some pictures, the last one is CZ next to diamond in the sunshine.

93BAB125-A49E-4ABE-B940-0592F51C8FDB.jpeg 44D66945-0053-42D7-96C5-4C5940B97F5A.jpeg CB049A26-41A3-4115-8D82-3D4254C1AC71.jpeg 68C65C9B-3400-4554-B7A1-3EB73AF8DC73.jpeg 588CCA75-60C5-4C68-8C61-5B7926314299.jpeg A4B1F047-33F5-4126-9D5B-DF7D035FBBCB.jpeg E017FA5F-41F4-4E0B-AAED-9F77098F5B84.jpeg 4A90406F-80DB-4CB1-B79C-CEEE265D7CFB.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the stones is a diamond, others are CZ. Guess which one :)
BE47C625-20A8-463F-AC4B-1DFE66DC91E4.jpeg

I have no idea but I’m guessing the diamond is the middle cushion or the round on the right. Great photo and game though!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s my latest purchase from Berricle. Their CZ is pretty good, this is the first larger piece that I’ve gotten. These are to keep me from getting more expensive versions! I think they’re really nice, the setting are sturdy. I got a piece of the “kaleidoscope“ line which is supposed to mimic alexandrite. It’s a good dupe.

93BAB125-A49E-4ABE-B940-0592F51C8FDB.jpeg 44D66945-0053-42D7-96C5-4C5940B97F5A.jpeg CB049A26-41A3-4115-8D82-3D4254C1AC71.jpeg 68C65C9B-3400-4554-B7A1-3EB73AF8DC73.jpeg 588CCA75-60C5-4C68-8C61-5B7926314299.jpeg A4B1F047-33F5-4126-9D5B-DF7D035FBBCB.jpeg E017FA5F-41F4-4E0B-AAED-9F77098F5B84.jpeg 4A90406F-80DB-4CB1-B79C-CEEE265D7CFB.jpeg

I love the pear!!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

They look good! Thanks for posting.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I was wondering how you could all tell the difference..... nice to know when they are good quality it’s very hard to tell.
It's how they are cut, and how they are polished. The Michael E. CZs I have are OEC and the G color one is especially convincing. The Wink CZs that may or may not be Interlaps are hearts and arrows or at least very convincing and broad arrows. The Chinese White ones are especially good. But I had a colorless 1ct mounted in a white gold setting and I wore it as a daily ring when I was doing quality control at a metals foundry. I flogged that ring like a workingman's wedding band. The facet junctions are so abraded that you can see it with the naked eye. But it still sparkles and the arrows throw beautiful fire. I have more colorless and Chinese white czs that could go in there, but I am contemplating an OEC moissanite next round. Depends on whether or not a better job opens up anytime soon.

teddycake

Rough_Rock
CZ can be cut to perfect optical standards and when it is, IMO it gets closest to the look of a diamond (at least a D-colored one!)

I have early 80s studs that my father bought my mother when CZ was brand new, and they are still perfect and clear. I also have a 17 year-old Winfield's precision-cut interlap CZ and it too is perfect and clear.

This is my theory to explain the current lack of popularity-- when people are trying to replace a diamond in an engagement ring, they want the feeling of the simulant being special and high end. In the early 2000s there were a number of companies that produced "special CZ" -- hand cut, H&A cutting standards, amorphous diamond coating, etc. Moissanite was super expensive (for a diamond simulant) at that time, so it didn't make financial sense to do any of that with moissanite.

As the price of moissanite came down, women looking for a high end diamond simulant switched to that. I think a number of factors make it feel more special to people, including that it's still too expensive to be used in ugly cheap rings the way poorly cut CZ is, and then typically never cleaned!! People think CZ is ugly because that's what they have seen. It may also be harder to convince someone they should pay for the labor of an precision or H&A cut stone for material that has no underlying value (as opposed to a small underlying value.)

It's also possible that people prefer the look of moissanite, but I think majority of people have not had the opportunity to see precision-cut CZ and precision-cut moissanite side-by-side.

This is my old Winfield's/interlap CZ, you can see some of the arrows.

1604444949363.png

This, 100%. I wish companies like Winfield still existed, I'd love to get my hands on some new Wink CZs with nice quality settings, but I know that doesn't exist anymore, as all Wink CZs are now pre-loved and extremely difficult to find.

Besides Chris CZ, does anyone know where we can find hand cut, H&A cutting standards CZs? Especially ones that come in nice settings?

The problem with CZs, even quality ones like Chris CZs, is the trouble of having to separately find a good setting for it.

I don't own moissanites (very tempted to buy one and see for myself), but from the videos and photos I've seen online, even the best quality cut ones can have a gray, steely look to them. Some can look like totally different stones from diamonds. Of course, some has looked fantastic. This mixed-bag results been what's holding me back from spending a few thousand dollars on it.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
CZ can be cut to perfect optical standards and when it is, IMO it gets closest to the look of a diamond (at least a D-colored one!)

I have early 80s studs that my father bought my mother when CZ was brand new, and they are still perfect and clear. I also have a 17 year-old Winfield's precision-cut interlap CZ and it too is perfect and clear.

This is my theory to explain the current lack of popularity-- when people are trying to replace a diamond in an engagement ring, they want the feeling of the simulant being special and high end. In the early 2000s there were a number of companies that produced "special CZ" -- hand cut, H&A cutting standards, amorphous diamond coating, etc. Moissanite was super expensive (for a diamond simulant) at that time, so it didn't make financial sense to do any of that with moissanite.

As the price of moissanite came down, women looking for a high end diamond simulant switched to that. I think a number of factors make it feel more special to people, including that it's still too expensive to be used in ugly cheap rings the way poorly cut CZ is, and then typically never cleaned!! People think CZ is ugly because that's what they have seen. It may also be harder to convince someone they should pay for the labor of an precision or H&A cut stone for material that has no underlying value (as opposed to a small underlying value.)

It's also possible that people prefer the look of moissanite, but I think majority of people have not had the opportunity to see precision-cut CZ and precision-cut moissanite side-by-side.

This is my old Winfield's/interlap CZ, you can see some of the arrows.

1604444949363.png

You have given me a whole new perspective on CZ

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
This, 100%. I wish companies like Winfield still existed, I'd love to get my hands on some new Wink CZs with nice quality settings, but I know that doesn't exist anymore, as all Wink CZs are now pre-loved and extremely difficult to find.

Besides Chris CZ, does anyone know where we can find hand cut, H&A cutting standards CZs? Especially ones that come in nice settings?

The problem with CZs, even quality ones like Chris CZs, is the trouble of having to separately find a good setting for it.

I don't own moissanites (very tempted to buy one and see for myself), but from the videos and photos I've seen online, even the best quality cut ones can have a gray, steely look to them. Some can look like totally different stones from diamonds. Of course, some has looked fantastic. This mixed-bag results been what's holding me back from spending a few thousand dollars on it.

I haven't purchased from them, but this small business is marketing hand-cut CZs, mostly in old cuts. If they look like their photos they are beautifully executed: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldMineRocks?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=634297865

At the price point, they are likely being cut by a supplier in China or India so perhaps there are more cuts being done by the supplier.

My issue with moissanite is that I can tell what it is with my eyes alone because of the huge dispersion and in colors that diamonds rarely throw, especially purple. So much purple! I don't know why that bothers me but it does.

teddycake

Rough_Rock
I haven't purchased from them, but this small business is marketing hand-cut CZs, mostly in old cuts. If they look like their photos they are beautifully executed: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldMineRocks?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=634297865

At the price point, they are likely being cut by a supplier in China or India so perhaps there are more cuts being done by the supplier.

My issue with moissanite is that I can tell what it is with my eyes alone because of the huge dispersion and in colors that diamonds rarely throw, especially purple. So much purple! I don't know why that bothers me but it does.

Wow, thanks so much for letting me know about Old Mine Rocks. I've not seen such an expensive CZ, essentially the price of a moissanite. Too bad these stones don't come with the setting.

Why are Chris CZs so cheap by comparison then? Aren't those also 6A quality, precision cut, etc.?

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, thanks so much for letting me know about Old Mine Rocks. I've not seen such an expensive CZ, essentially the price of a moissanite. Too bad these stones don't come with the setting.

Why are Chris CZs so cheap by comparison then? Aren't those also 6A quality, precision cut, etc.?

I am not familiar with Chris CZ but my guess is it's the cost of hand-cutting vs. machine cutting. Hand-cutting a CZ to excellent proportions and finish would take a skilled craftsman at least 3-4 hours. I suspect they are using hand cutting to be able to offer the variations of old cuts, which might not be cost effective to do the work of programming them into a cutting machine if they don't expect to sell a large #. Machine cut stones can be very high quality. Interlap (also sold as Winfield's) was machine cut.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
I have been curious about the old mine rocks Etsy store for ages now. I have an OEC round and an elongated OMC cushion in my cart. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger except I already have several moissanites coming my way, along with a lab diamond. How many rings can one woman possibly own? And yet, I am now so intrigued by high quality CZ...

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
So i have no self control. I got a 7mm OEC and a 10x8 antique cut elongated cushion. Do you guys think I'll have pushback when I take them to local jewelers to get set? I do plan on placing them in gold settings. Any ideas about how well these will wear? I was thinking I should treat them fairly carefully (taking off before showering or working out)...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So i have no self control. I got a 7mm OEC and a 10x8 antique cut elongated cushion. Do you guys think I'll have pushback when I take them to local jewelers to get set? I do plan on placing them in gold settings. Any ideas about how well these will wear? I was thinking I should treat them fairly carefully (taking off before showering or working out)...

Its still work
A jewler is a bussiness man/ woman
Who can really afford to turn away work ?

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
Its still work
A jewler is a bussiness man/ woman
Who can really afford to turn away work ?

Great point. I just saw someone reviewing her etsy store said they had a hard time finding a jeweler willing to set the stone. I'm excited to see how they turn out. From all the comparisons online it looks to me like precision cut CZ looks better than moissy these days...

mrsthirdcharms

Shiny_Rock

I have a wonderful local jeweler who is happy to set loose stones for me, and do repairs. She’s equal opportunity- lab diamond, moissanite, CZ, lab gems... I think if you get a good local mom & pop place, they’ll be happy to help. They usually have the Stuller catalog available for settings.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

She owns another Etsy store where she makes settings. However, her work is not cheap. It's well done, in a traditional antique style, but you will pay more than you likely expect.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
She owns another Etsy store where she makes settings. However, her work is not cheap. It's well done, in a traditional antique style, but you will pay more than you likely expect.

Yeah. Looks like it's bezel settings which aren't my preference. I have contacted a great local jeweler who said they could set it no prob.

sparklyshrink

Shiny_Rock
They arrived yesterday! I think they're very pretty. They are super sparkly in the light. The OEC is colorless but I was able to snag her 'tinted' shade for the elongated antique cushion.

oec1.jpg

accccc.jpg

acc1.jpg

knlnj.jpg

I'm just wondering how to set these. I think I want them both as rings. Would it be crazy to set them in gold? I'm a little worried about how they will wear over time. Should I do sterling silver/plated instead? Do they look plasticky?

pammbw

Rough_Rock
I am a big fan of CZ. One of my favourite pairs of earrings is a pair of asscher cut studs I got at TJ Maxx for $20. I've put them next to my natural diamonds and cannot tell the difference. Of course they need to be kept scrupulously clean for best performance.

I have a couple CZ rings of my mom's that are close to 30 years old and the stones are still gorgeous. The settings are junk though. I keep them for sentimental reasons.

As mentioned above Shanadams jewelry on Etsy is a good source for high grade CZ jewelry. She did some French cut studs a while back that I would have given my first born for . Gorgeous stuff.

pammbw

Rough_Rock
They arrived yesterday! I think they're very pretty. They are super sparkly in the light. The OEC is colorless but I was able to snag her 'tinted' shade for the elongated antique cushion.

oec1.jpg

accccc.jpg

acc1.jpg

knlnj.jpg

I'm just wondering how to set these. I think I want them both as rings. Would it be crazy to set them in gold? I'm a little worried about how they will wear over time. Should I do sterling silver/plated instead? Do they look plasticky?

I think they would be gorgeous in gold! You could always do gold filled to keep costs reasonable.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1 - Berricle travel ring
2 - ziamond cz eternity in white gold
3 - ziamond cz in white gold
4 - amora IF three stone

#2 (needs cleaning) and #3 were purchased 13 years ago and I’m still pleased with how they look! I can’t believe they’ve held up so well.
1 was a recent travel ring purchase

4 purchased from diamond bistro - super sparkly

52D149DF-389F-43F0-9800-9E30C90ED468.jpeg

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

oec1.jpg

accccc.jpg

acc1.jpg

knlnj.jpg

Those are GORGEOUS - especially that warm cushion! :love:

If the round is a little too white for your tastes, you could try "baking" it to warm it up a little.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

oec1.jpg

accccc.jpg

acc1.jpg

knlnj.jpg

I'm a big fan of plain solitaires but that may not be for everyone.
CZs are pretty hardy. You won't need to worry about them. You just need to clean them a bit more as they aren't as forgiving with everyday dirt and grime.

They don't look plasticky to me. And go ahead and set them in gold. It's no more crazy to set them in gold than any other rock! :tongue:

jso72

Rough_Rock
Here is my new 2ct oec solitaire. I purchased the stone from old mine rocks (it's a warm oec) and thought it was so pretty I had DanielM set it in a 14k yellow gold solitaire. I wish the stone was warmer but otherwise I think it's beautiful. I'm attaching a pic of it with my 1.2 k/l diamond. 20210125_110011.jpg 20210125_110527.jpg 20210125_110438.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just get it !
It's too pretty to let get away at that price !

No, as I did miss a sizable invoice from Jeff W that I received yesterday, so no more CS for this year for me!

DK :confused2:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my new 2ct oec solitaire. I purchased the stone from old mine rocks (it's a warm oec) and thought it was so pretty I had DanielM set it in a 14k yellow gold solitaire. I wish the stone was warmer but otherwise I think it's beautiful. I'm attaching a pic of it with my 1.2 k/l diamond. 20210125_110011.jpg 20210125_110527.jpg 20210125_110438.jpg

This is so beautiful!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results