shape
carat
color
clarity

what is the cheapest country you know for buying jewelry?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
so i'm currently in sydney, staying at a hotel in the Rocks area. great view of the harbor/opera house, ergo a lot of visitors/tourists. ergo a lot of duty free shops. i'e been thinking for some months about a pair of 14mm south sea white AAA pearls for a pair of earrings, with diamond accents above. the pearls, from pearl paradise, come originally from australia. PP is quoting me around $1400 per pearl. these would be for my birthday in june.

so, i'm out trying to walk off my lunch (no chance!) and i see this duty free shop, mainly gorgeous big south sea pearls. i'm thinking...'they've *got* to be cheaper in the country of their origin right? i could pick 2 up and take them home to NY...' i spy a pair of earrings in the window which look about the right size, and go in and ask to see them. they're a plain pair of pearls with one diamond under each pearl (very common design), set in white gold. the diamonds are .32ct each - .64ct in total. i dont know the rest of the diamond stats.

it just so happens i'm wearing a pair of diamond studs in my outer holes of *exactly* that weight. i paid $1340 for the stones (E VS2, BN signature cut - *really* sparkly stones). so to have these earrings replicated in the US by PP and, say, BGD would cost me around $2800 for the pearls, $1400 (being generous) for the diamonds, and let's say around 1k for the white gold setting by BGD (who are currently doing my niece's earrings, just by the way and who sent me STUNNING photos this morning!). all up, these would cost me $5200, give or take a small amount. i know this, and am holding this amount in the back of my mind as a comparison.

i ask him how much the earrings are and he says....

"$17,500."

now granted, Australia is notoriously expensive for jewelry, but i had forgotten just *how* expensive! so it made me wonder...

what is the cheapest country you've ever encountered for jewelry?

ETA if you live in australia and want a diamond of any appreciable size, it's my experience that it's cheaper to fly to the US, buy your stone, set it in a cheap setting, and wear it home that buying it in australia.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. May I ask *WHY* jewelry is so expensive in Australia?

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I always heard the savvy diamond buyers are going to India.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 10:59:41 PM
Author: y2kitty

hi y2kitty :)

i have absolutely no idea. both stones and metal are ridiculously expensive, tho workmanship is cheaper. most things in australia are more expensive than the US due to an increase in import duty and the price it takes to get things from overseas eg cars from japan. a friend of mine bought a new base level honda civic. it was $26k (this was a couple of years ago) at the same time the same car was about 14k in the US. even allowing for the exchange rate - that''s nuts!

but as for jewelry - even allowing for import duty (which is NOT always relevant as we have great gem stone and diamond mines in australia), and the exchange rate - nothing explains that 17.5k ripoff price!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 11:08:30 PM
Author: PinkAsscher678

hi pink :)

i *wondered* if people would say india. i''ve heard this too. i wonder where you should go once you get to india?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my guess for diamonds would be the U.S.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:10:57 PM
Author: whitby_2773

i *wondered* if people would say india. i've heard this too. i wonder where you should go once you get to india?
I will say that my folks picked up several pieces with stunning rose-cuts for FAR less than they would've cost here in the US (part of that is that it's a specialty cut, I'm sure), but several other pieces had fakes in them, and there's very often very little recourse if you get scammed.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 11:13:08 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

interesting, DF. is this based on your travels?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
sorry - double post

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2010 11:13:24 PM
Author: yssie

i *wondered* if people would say india. i''ve heard this too. i wonder where you should go once you get to india?

I will say that my folks picked up several pieces with stunning rose-cuts for FAR less than they would''ve cost here in the US (part of that is that it''s a specialty cut, I''m sure), but several other pieces had fakes in them, and there''s very often very little recourse if you get scammed.

I have no idea where exactly, which cities or vendors. Friends of my parents went awhile back and got a few pieces there that were significantly less than they were paying here. But you do have to be careful and know your business or you could get ripped off big time I''m sure.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is what I have heard from an Indian colleague. To this, he also added "with an Indian friend". He says it is very difficult to negotiate in India unless you are born there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:43:22 PM
Author: crasru

That is what I have heard from an Indian colleague. To this, he also added ''with an Indian friend''. He says it is very difficult to negotiate in India unless you are born there.
Oh, I was born there and I''m useless
2.gif
it''s definitely a learnt skill! He''s right that looking native probably helps though!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 10:54:07 PM
Author:whitby_2773
so i''m currently in sydney, staying at a hotel in the Rocks area. great view of the harbor/opera house, ergo a lot of visitors/tourists. ergo a lot of duty free shops. i''e been thinking for some months about a pair of 14mm south sea white AAA pearls for a pair of earrings, with diamond accents above. the pearls, from pearl paradise, come originally from australia. PP is quoting me around $1400 per pearl. these would be for my birthday in june.

so, i''m out trying to walk off my lunch (no chance!) and i see this duty free shop, mainly gorgeous big south sea pearls. i''m thinking...''they''ve *got* to be cheaper in the country of their origin right? i could pick 2 up and take them home to NY...'' i spy a pair of earrings in the window which look about the right size, and go in and ask to see them. they''re a plain pair of pearls with one diamond under each pearl (very common design), set in white gold. the diamonds are .32ct each - .64ct in total. i dont know the rest of the diamond stats.

it just so happens i''m wearing a pair of diamond studs in my outer holes of *exactly* that weight. i paid $1340 for the stones (E VS2, BN signature cut - *really* sparkly stones). so to have these earrings replicated in the US by PP and, say, BGD would cost me around $2800 for the pearls, $1400 (being generous) for the diamonds, and let''s say around 1k for the white gold setting by BGD (who are currently doing my niece''s earrings, just by the way and who sent me STUNNING photos this morning!). all up, these would cost me $5200, give or take a small amount. i know this, and am holding this amount in the back of my mind as a comparison.

i ask him how much the earrings are and he says....

''$17,500.''

now granted, Australia is notoriously expensive for jewelry, but i had forgotten just *how* expensive! so it made me wonder...

what is the cheapest country you''ve ever encountered for jewelry?

ETA if you live in australia and want a diamond of any appreciable size, it''s my experience that it''s cheaper to fly to the US, buy your stone, set it in a cheap setting, and wear it home that buying it in australia.

I have bought an H(a) Burmese ruby - and diamond ring in Australia. Since that time, I have joined the PS, searched different websites and realized that on a very bad day, I could have bought two rings like this for the price I paid. Probably 3 1/2 on a good day.
They also pushed me to buy Argyle diamonds! Luckily I did not agree.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2010 11:29:41 PM

Date: 2/16/2010 11:13:08 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

interesting, DF. is this based on your travels?
nope,based on what i read here on PS
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

kitty, being an Aussie this is the eternal question for me - *especially* seeing as we mine the gold and diamonds right here ourselves, shouldn''t we be cheaper?!

I''m sure I am over-simplifying it, but Whitby is spot on - the prices are grossly inflated, and nobody has ever been able to explain to me why
33.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
sorry - Whitby, to answer your question - for reliable sources of diamonds and precision gem stones I can''t go past the US.

I am sure asian countries such as India are fantastic for high kt gold, and I hope to buy some one day..

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium

i *wondered* if people would say india. i've heard this too. i wonder where you should go once you get to india?
I bought a pair of 1ctw princess cut diamond studs from Delhi last year (VS2, F I think) and they came to under 1300 USD including taxes. While it was slightly cheaper in India, I really wasn't keen on the hand-made setting. Workmanship in India is still lacking the finesse you see here.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 8:29:24 AM
Author: arjunajane

kitty, being an Aussie this is the eternal question for me - *especially* seeing as we mine the gold and diamonds right here ourselves, shouldn''t we be cheaper?!

I''m sure I am over-simplifying it, but Whitby is spot on - the prices are grossly inflated, and nobody has ever been able to explain to me why
33.gif

hi arjuna :)

i''ve been really taken aback when i''ve come home as to how expensive everything here is. *some* things are cheaper, but on the whole - gees louise! we import a lot of stuff - ok - fine. but even the stuff we produce here is terribly expensive in comparison. obviously we put our prices up to be on a par with the cost of the things we import. i''m not sure why. surely it''d be better to drop prices to reflect lover cost of production - and make a killing??

anyway - i''m with you - i think the US is the place to go for jewelry.

altho kama - you paid HOW much for a pair of 1ct earrings?? WOW.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results