shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the biggest sacrifice you ever made?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
calvinandhobbessacrifice.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my late partner's dog after he died suddenly meant a big change in life, in that I was not able to dash off for work at will liked I used to.

I just could not bear parting with his dog, and by his reaction when I went to collect him shortly after his death confirmed he wanted to be with me.

I have not regretted that decision, and it was one of my best decisions, as he brought so much joy and love into my house and life.

Happy pets sharing the sofa with me recently, bless them both!

DK :))

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moving internationally for DHs work.
This meant leaving my family (mom just widowed and lost her mom right after we left...so hard for her) and friends behind and move into a country that's pretty to look at, but whose underlying social structure puts a lot of conformism and pressure on people. Children and women especially. Children need to function, basically. Like in the 1950ies movies. Women are supposed to work,have kids, be pretty,be very slim, have a certain look, be loving wives, etc etc etc. I knew all this full well, but another long -distance -dad - episode would have been worse for us.
I still see the decision as the right one and try to cushion the negative impact as best as I can. Luckily we have found a pretty international environment here and I adore our new house. DH is a very very emotionally available dad and the kids benefit greatly from seeing him every day. And I'm obviously happy to see him every day, too.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kipari that is a great sacrifice and I have to say wow on your desription of your new country. It sounds a bit Stepford wife like. But I get the pros outweigh the cons greatly and you are probably (hopefully) a bit insulated from that kind of mentality living your international environment. And you and your kids seeing your dh every day makes it all worth while. No doubt. Glad you are making it work for you.

And I am so sorry about the loss of your dad and your grandmother. :(
Hope your mom is doing OK and that you guys get to visit her often.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my late partner's dog after he died suddenly meant a big change in life, in that I was not able to dash off for work at will liked I used to.

I just could not bear parting with his dog, and by his reaction when I went to collect him shortly after his death confirmed he wanted to be with me.

I have not regretted that decision, and it was one of my best decisions, as he brought so much joy and love into my house and life.

Happy pets sharing the sofa with me recently, bless them both!

20191028_002745.jpg

DK :))

Aww love this photo @dk168 and your furry babies are lucky babies indeed. I agree that is a great decision that you made. For animal lovers really no other choice despite the sacrifices necessary. Thank you for taking care of his and now your sweet dog. I am very sorry for your loss :(

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy ! It's still hard for my mom....

Maybe our presence can accelerate progress in Stepford a bit . At least I like to think so.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was one of the ‘sandwich’ generation, caring for parents and children, I sacrificed myself (in all ways) to take care of my folks as they suffered terrible and untimely, unexpected deaths at the same time I was struggling to put my kids through college. It truly eviscerated me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results